The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2023, 05:12 AM   #151
sonin
"TRF" Member

The black and champagne dials for the 2023 two tone Daytonas are nice!
sonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:14 AM   #152
DBCooper07
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
i agree it's ding collector... I have to admit it makes it pop more!
Old 28 March 2023, 05:15 AM   #153
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Oh man that metal edge around the bezel is a huge issue for collecting dings and wear marks. IMO….it adds nothing and becomes a liability.
Do you find the metal bezel ring on your Sub an issue and a liability as well?
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:16 AM   #154
rohada
"TRF" Member

I liked the rim around my Omega 861 moonwatch and I like it on the new Daytona where it lends itself to a more upscale, finished look. The previous ceramic bezel is why I opted to pursue a TT Daytona. I thought the 11 ceramic looked too much like a clip on, similar to the bezel protectors shipped on the watches. Prefer the 11 case, hands down. So now I need to consider going secondary on my TT, but maybe keep the door open for a 12 ceramic bezel via the AD. I got plenty of time.
Old 28 March 2023, 05:18 AM   #155
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
I like them both and could see the new one growing on me even more. The people suggesting a Speedy reminder have valid points, but it's still distinctly a Daytona. So does it bring some previously reluctant Speedy fans over? I don't know, but it could.

Only oddity to me is that the legibility didn't improve much.
Old 28 March 2023, 05:20 AM   #156
Miker86
"TRF" Member

Those who dropped £35k/$42k during the madness will be disappointed they don’t have the latest and greatest and will have to take a massive bath to trade up. Personally I hope it goes like the 116710blnr and the older model ends up representing better value for a very similar looking watch.
Miker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:21 AM   #157
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post

exactly
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:22 AM   #158
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Seems a bit drastic - Will Ferrell
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:22 AM   #159
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is true. I may even try to grab a black or possibly PM model of the 11 series before prices start to rise. Will see. I am gonna let all this settle with fresh eyes and a good cigar later. I am going to visit DavidSW store in 2 weeks. That could be trouble.

Good luck. The black and white make for an amazing pair.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:23 AM   #160
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe, but that is a functional necessary evil as a Sub bezel is not static and needs teeth to be gripped to turn. Two different animals comparing the two.
My SS Daytona ceramic static bezel looks pristine and shows no marks or hairlines of any kind and never will. I also know something about touching up a watch when needed and that polished metal insert ring under the ceramic insert on the 12 series bezel will be a nightmare to address.
Old 28 March 2023, 05:25 AM   #161
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Maybe, but that is a functional necessary evil as a Sub bezel is not static and needs teeth to be gripped to turn. Two different animals comparing the two.

If they made the sub bezel out of ceramic...

Old 28 March 2023, 05:26 AM   #162
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohada View Post
…the previous ceramic bezel is why i opted to pursue a tt daytona. I thought the 11 ceramic looked too much like a clip on, similar to the bezel protectors shipped on the watches…
+1
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:26 AM   #163
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
the metal ring on the sub serves a purpose, to make the bezel turn. while the bezel on the daytona is not turnable, it is not necessary to install the metal ring.
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:28 AM   #164
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker86 View Post
Those who dropped £35k/$42k during the madness will be disappointed they don’t have the latest and greatest and will have to take a massive bath to trade up. Personally I hope it goes like the 116710blnr and the older model ends up representing better value for a very similar looking watch.

What if those ppl see the last SS Daytona model going for 45-50k, and have no desire to trade up for the latest one? What if those same ppl get their money back via selling (effectively getting to wear the watch for free)?

Not saying these figures will happen, but being an owner of one, I obviously don’t care for the idea of taking a bath on one.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:29 AM   #165
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Good luck. The black and white make for an amazing pair.
I may go that route. I like the PM full bracelet as well. I’ll think about it. Might be interesting trying on these models at DavisSW. That will speak volumes which avenue I may take.
Old 28 March 2023, 05:31 AM   #166
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

The bezel is meant to be retro inspired. Much like the early Daytona and this Timex Datetona. It’s the case that’s changed dramatically, looks like the same style side case profile thats on the precious metals models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 819F1037-0158-41A9-9856-043B0FF894C2.jpeg (80.5 KB, 468 views)
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:39 AM   #167
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgs View Post
the metal ring on the sub serves a purpose, to make the bezel turn. while the bezel on the daytona is not turnable, it is not necessary to install the metal ring.

But it is necessary…as it allows the ceramic bezel to be slimmer and closer to the design language of the beautiful 4 digit references

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:40 AM   #168
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
nice rant; tldr tho.
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:42 AM   #169
Pablito
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But it is necessary…as it allows the ceramic bezel to be slimmer and closer to the design language of the beautiful 4 digit references

Voilà, you nailed it. This is the one new reverse panda WG on OF makes remember of.
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:45 AM   #170
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by -94- View Post
Haha no sounds you care what other opinion not own for man speechless you say a lot a lot haha
Not sure what you’re talking about. Mystro has commented on designs here for years as have many of us owners. From what I’ve seen, Mystro buys what he likes and couldn’t care less about value/making profit. For years now and a lot longer than the few months you’ve been here.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:48 AM   #171
Top G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Not sure what you’re talking about. Mystro has commented on designs here for years as have many of us owners. From what I’ve seen, Mystro buys what he likes and couldn’t care less about value/making profit. For years now and a lot longer than the few months you’ve been here.
I see -94- post a lot of nonsense similar to what he did above.
Top G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:49 AM   #172
Top G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
Voilà, you nailed it. This is the one new reverse panda WG on OF makes remember of.
Gosh those are gorgeous
Old 28 March 2023, 05:51 AM   #173
Swiss_Time_Watches
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0wned View Post
I happen to be wearing my Daytona today so…. Took the picture from Monochrome watches for the new one. Some things I like better than the old one but that silver rim around the bezel is a no go for me personally.

The crown guards on the new one! Huge and so ugly!
Old 28 March 2023, 05:53 AM   #174
Top G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I may go that route. I like the PM full bracelet as well. I’ll think about it. Might be interesting trying on these models at DavisSW. That will speak volumes which avenue I may take.
I agree with you in that the white dial of the previous generation is much more satisfying to look at over the new one. I can't really figure out what it is. What are your thoughts of the new black dial? That one and the old white one would make a nice pair. I personally own the old white and this is the route that I am now thinking of taking. I wasn't a fan of the steel border of the bezel at first, but its slowly growing on me. I like the resemblance of the 4 digit daytonas
Old 28 March 2023, 05:53 AM   #175
spacebjorn
"TRF" Member

Respectfully disagree, love the new refinement of the watch proportions and the de-cluttering of the dial. It will actually make the watch way more usable than it's predecessor.

I'm sure people who owns the current gen will want to push the narrative that old is better to help retain value and other ego-driven sentiments but the reality is this new iteration is better in every single way.
spacebjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:57 AM   #176
Seo
"TRF" Member

As an owner of four 1165xx I can honestly say the new dial looks better. However I agree with the metal bezel ring. It’s silly. I’m also scared of the new movement.
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 06:00 AM   #177
Top G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebjorn View Post
Respectfully disagree, love the new refinement of the watch proportions and the de-cluttering of the dial. It will actually make the watch way more usable than it's predecessor.

I'm sure people who owns the current gen will want to push the narrative that old is better to help retain value and other ego-driven sentiments but the reality is this new iteration is better in every single way.
I wouldn't be so bold to say its better in every single way - both have their pros and cons. For me the main issue was the legibility of the dial. I struggle with my 116500 and I don't really see that issue being solved here. They decluttered the dial but at the expense of reducing the size of the subdials and indices. Pick your poison lol. The 116500 was extremely innovative and this new reiteration made very minor changes with nods to previous generations. What I wish they would do is ditch the ring style subdials and stick to a solid color; similar to the PM.
Old 28 March 2023, 06:00 AM   #178
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebjorn View Post

Or the reality could quite possibly be people have different opinions! Lol

Never ceases to amaze on this forum the high amount of people who believe everyone should think exactly like them and cannot fathom any other outcome
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 06:01 AM   #179
karleone
"TRF" Member

I own a black 116500 that I have almost daily worn since 2018. I find the watch perfect and didn’t know how they could improve it. I love the new one! The metal ring around the ceramic bezel is an amazing touch and it reminds me visually the 6263. The smaller indices and subdials are much more refined too.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 06:01 AM   #180
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss_Time_Watches View Post
The crown guards on the new one! Huge and so ugly!
The best way to describe putting a metal trim ring under the ceramic bezel at this point of the Daytona’s evolution is ….”putting a hat on a hat”. It’s bizarrely unnessisary and takes away from the clean sharp black ceramic transition into the case the current 11 series has. The only reason I can think of is unless they kinda wanted to look “retro” but that is what the Tudor line does. On the modern Daytona with the sapphire crystal raised up and a sharp squared edge then the bezel mirroring it to the case has more continuity in design. The metal ring of the 12 series breaks that up unnecessarily.
That’s my interpretation of what’s going on.