The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 March 2012, 02:51 PM   #151
chhatre9
"TRF" Member

I wish the crystal was green....
chhatre9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 04:03 PM   #152
Ray6Chan8
"TRF" Member

The Design may not be pleasing to the eyes of many(including mine), but i applaud the fact that Rolex is doing this. Makes me wanna put on my Rolex now.
Ray6Chan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 04:03 PM   #153
cityboy340
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitros View Post
You wouldn't need diving weights with this watch.

Form does follow function but only up to a point--
whereas the sub ND is a beautiful classic watch, this watch is FUUUUUUGLY. The coke-bottle glasses of the horological world.

The sub ND could hold its own in the MoMa for the world to see, this one is aptly designed and for all I care could be thrown into the darkest depths of the Mariana trench.

Hey Rolex, BMW called-- they want Bangle back....

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/02/chris-bangle-le/
This isn't a watch for people to buy and parade around like a Sub. It's a chance for Rolex to show that they still possess the know-how to do something risky like this, something that no other watchmaker has done. Besides, the 1960's Deepsea Special, the other watch that went into the Mariana Trench was not much prettier but people were in awe of it's technological advances, not that it wasn't particularly attractive.
cityboy340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 04:54 PM   #154
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & PAM...
I like it!

/masterkiller
Omega - Speedy PRO
masterkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 05:29 PM   #155
Zed82
"TRF" Member

Would love to be able to buy that!
Old 21 March 2012, 06:08 PM   #156
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
My first impression of this watch is that it looks like a larger, beefier version of the vintage top hat crystal subs. Would it be practical? Of course not. Would I buy one and pay over 20k for it? in afriggin heartbeat! Would I wear it in the bathtub with a toy boat and Submarine and pretend that I was a deep ocean explorer.... Uhm no, I would never admit to that! I'm guessing I would have to dive with at least once to say I did though! As far as a nickname goes, the first word that came to my mind upon seeing it was this thing is a beast So, I believe "The Beast" has been borne!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 06:11 PM   #157
Philipp
"TRF" Member

http://rolexpassionreport.com/4345/t...-12-000-meter/

;)
Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 06:19 PM   #158
fjs9091

Watch: Deep Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac10000 View Post
It doesn't seem like they are going to sell it to the general public.

Very impressive engineering though! Cool to see stuff like this.
i belive this is the point, its an impressive piece of engineering.. why do the do it, they can! and they of course get credd 4 making a watch like this and not just "bling" pieces..

and yes.. deep sea owners are sensetive, no one never notice the bloody watch!
fjs9091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 06:56 PM   #159
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I still think this is more a publicity and marketing tool to run alongside their sponsorship of the Challenger project than a commercially sellable watch. If they do produce and release them commercially I’m sure they’d sell but at the size they are, and particularly with the hugely thick crystal, you’d look pretty silly wearing it, in my opinion. I love my DeepSea and I like the look of the DS Challenge but doubt I’d ever wear such a watch.

It’s likely Rolex will have created a number of them and imagine they’d have them in some sort of container on the exterior of the submersible, either during the Cameron dive or another. The real story is then that unprotected the watches have been to the deepest part of the sea, something that no other can surpass, only ever equal. This will be a marketing event for Rolex, bringing attention to the design, engineering and build quality that goes into all their watches.

If I was them I would look at selling them commercially but doubt they’d sell as well as the DeepSea simply because a) they must be much more expensive than the DSSD, b) they’d be totally impractical to wear on a day to day basis and c) from a diving perspective, unnecessary.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 07:22 PM   #160
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
All the people who complain about the thickness of the watch may want to realize the pressure of 40 tons on the ring lock ring alone.

I'm convinced, that the beefiness has a good reason ;)
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 07:24 PM   #161
Philipp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I still think this is more a publicity and marketing tool to run alongside their sponsorship of the Challenger project than a commercially sellable watch. If they do produce and release them commercially I’m sure they’d sell but at the size they are, and particularly with the hugely thick crystal, you’d look pretty silly wearing it, in my opinion. I love my DeepSea and I like the look of the DS Challenge but doubt I’d ever wear such a watch.

It’s likely Rolex will have created a number of them and imagine they’d have them in some sort of container on the exterior of the submersible, either during the Cameron dive or another. The real story is then that unprotected the watches have been to the deepest part of the sea, something that no other can surpass, only ever equal. This will be a marketing event for Rolex, bringing attention to the design, engineering and build quality that goes into all their watches.

If I was them I would look at selling them commercially but doubt they’d sell as well as the DeepSea simply because a) they must be much more expensive than the DSSD, b) they’d be totally impractical to wear on a day to day basis and c) from a diving perspective, unnecessary.

Old 21 March 2012, 07:24 PM   #162
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

I really like the fact that Rolex is doing something that they used to do back in the old days - i.e. putting Rolex at the forefront of explorations!
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 08:04 PM   #163
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexWatcher View Post
I really like the fact that Rolex is doing something that they used to do back in the old days - i.e. putting Rolex at the forefront of explorations!
Nicely said.

Once again we have a thread posted by a very knowledgeable member that is blasted by some here.

I'd like to point out that should Rolex market some version of this watch (albiet in perhaps limited numbers) it's nothing that other brands haven't already done with pieces that commorate some event or time period.

Panerai has done it, as have others. Again we have the same old tired theme where no matter what Rolex does it's wrong..to big, to blingy, lost their minds,etc....

If this comes to pass there will be collectors lined up to add a special piece of Rolex history to their collections. That YOU might not think it's "practical" has nothing to do with the milestone this watch would represent and the continuation of the cutting edge Rolex has been famous for.

Thank you Philllip for bring this to our attention.

Rant off.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:06 PM   #164
dr3ziz
"TRF" Member

SEA DWELER DEEP SEA CHALLENGE video

Rolex lovers enjoy !!

http://youtu.be/15uNQ0Tt31k?hd=1
dr3ziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:11 PM   #165
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Thanks for sharing Phillip.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:13 PM   #166
globalmedia33
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
“I THINK PERFECTION IS UGLY. SOMEWHERE IN THE THINGS HUMANS MAKE, I WANT TO SEE SCARS, FAILURE, DISORDER AND DISTORTION" - YOHJI YAMAMOTO
globalmedia33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:18 PM   #167
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

The crystal is nearly as thick as the SD 4k!!!!!!
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:19 PM   #168
Philipp
"TRF" Member

Done! :-)

;)
Old 21 March 2012, 09:21 PM   #169
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Nicely said.

Once again we have a thread posted by a very knowledgeable member that is blasted by some here.

I'd like to point out that should Rolex market some version of this watch (albiet in perhaps limited numbers) it's nothing that other brands haven't already done with pieces that commorate some event or time period.

Panerai has done it, as have others. Again we have the same old tired theme where no matter what Rolex does it's wrong..to big, to blingy, lost their minds,etc....

If this comes to pass there will be collectors lined up to add a special piece of Rolex history to their collections. That YOU might not think it's "practical" has nothing to do with the milestone this watch would represent and the continuation of the cutting edge Rolex has been famous for.

Rant off.
You really think people were blasting Phillip? For the record,
I love it, Ims thankful to Phillip for sharing the info like he always does, I'm glad to see Rolex back as the pioneer. There is no doubt they will sell every one. They make.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:23 PM   #170
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Quote:
Nicely said.

Rant off.
hallelujah! Someone else that understands what this is about. Nice one Mike, very well put.
Now, how much is servicing? Should I send it to Rolex or just let my mate service it up to 2ft because that's all i'd use it for?
Old 21 March 2012, 09:35 PM   #171
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
You really think people were blasting Phillip? For the record,
I love it, Ims thankful to Phillip for sharing the info like he always does, I'm glad to see Rolex back as the pioneer. There is no doubt they will sell every one. They make.
No not Phillip per se. Certainly Rolex. A stroll around somw of the other fora on the net might reveal a different opinion than some have posted regarding this particular watch.

Of course it's not a watch most will wear everyday, but to deny the engineering that went into this watch and by extention might have some impact on references in the future is one of the reasons some no longer take part in these forums.

Rolex stood tall on this one. I certainly won't be able to afford it, but it represents a milestone that no other maker can clain.

Give credit where credit is due.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:41 PM   #172
jamesw
"TRF" Member

What a beast! Very impressive.
Not sure my skinny wrist could pull it off though.
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:43 PM   #173
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Nicely said.

Rant off.
I agree this piece would be very suitable for a limited run as a commerative piece. And it is indeed an accomplishment on Rolex's part.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:45 PM   #174
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Would definitely buy one if Rolex ever commercialize it (But I don't think they will).
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:45 PM   #175
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
+ 1. Bragging right is all. Still a big fan of the SD4000 though.
X2 there brother!! The SD 4K is the PERFECT tool watch IMHO
brettpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:50 PM   #176
tifosi
"TRF" Member

I love this! I am glad that Rolex is doing this. The original Deepsea Special was amazing, but the fact that Rolex can do this again and make it look like a beautiful, production watch is even more amazing.
Old 21 March 2012, 10:06 PM   #177
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
From an engineering point of view, I think it's beautiful.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 10:07 PM   #178
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp View Post

Thanks for sharing Philipp -would be an AWESOME watch to see in person!!
Old 21 March 2012, 10:27 PM   #179
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Maybe it's time to change the thread title. This is a 51mm watch, not a 45mm one.
Old 21 March 2012, 10:30 PM   #180
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseco View Post
Hahahahaha!!!

Right?!!!

Where is the Deep Sea Challenge ICE VERSION!!!