The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 December 2020, 03:35 PM   #151
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Of course, just my luck...found a black Blancpain NATO still in packaging :facepalm:
vipereaper30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 04:04 PM   #152
snarkq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I had high hopes but I came to my senses.

It is another vanity project from Hodinkee. The made $3.6M in sales in less than 5 min. At 15K (w taxes) I would like to have a bracelet and sailcloth strap, not some $25 nylon strap. And I DON'T want Hodinkee written over my rotor. And somehow, $15K for a military watch that is supposed to an utilitarian instrument... I passed. I did love the no date, the 40mm size, the brushed case without Blancpain written on the side, the drilled lugs... it was close. But I'm not dropping $15K on an "almost watch".

I do understand the attraction. Many people have too much cash, they cannot get a 5711 or Jumbo, regardless of the size of their bank account, so this is not a bad piece - at half the price.

But I'm still flabbergasted that Blancpain cannot release something like this without the stupid Hodinkee connection. The must surely know that this is what the audience want - 40mm, no date, brushed case, etc - preferably in a non-limited edition. Price this at $11,500 on a nylon strap - sans mil-spec item on the dial - and you'll have a wait-list for years. How hard can it be???
+1 I think the strength Hodinkee brings is the art direction on their collabs, they seem obvious to the community but the brands seem more disconnected than you would think
snarkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 07:40 PM   #153
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

I had one in my basket, but then I took a breath. Do I really want to have to make a decision on a not-inexpensive watch in a heartbeat, without even properly appreciating the details, and under duress?

Turns out the answer is no and instead I went and made a cup of tea.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 08:11 PM   #154
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I had one in my basket, but then I took a breath. Do I really want to have to make a decision on a not-inexpensive watch in a heartbeat, without even properly appreciating the details, and under duress?

Turns out the answer is no and instead I went and made a cup of tea.
LOL. Also put it in the basket but then my finger refused to hit the purchase button. About time I woke up and realized that the temptation to pull the trigger had resulted from the pre-sale marketing build up rather than from a strong desire to own this watch.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 09:58 PM   #155
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Seth, what did the boutique say about the sailcloth? I'd like to throw mine on an olive sailcloth or olive anything for that matter. Just not sure if the lug width is smaller than the bigger FF.

Time to go rummage through some strap boxes to find what sort of BP extras I've forgotten about over the years!

I wish I was Seth with his garage

No response yet. Will update here ASAP when I get an answer.
Old 16 December 2020, 10:38 PM   #156
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
LOL. Also put it in the basket but then my finger refused to hit the purchase button. About time I woke up and realized that the temptation to pull the trigger had resulted from the pre-sale marketing build up rather than from a strong desire to own this watch.
Amazing isn’t it.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 10:42 PM   #157
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Honestly I thought the presale marketing was weak sauce. Hodinkee has basically been telegraphing these drops. If they were a quarterback they would be Carson Wentz.

They need to learn a thing or two from Rolex teasers. Then again, maybe it’s their intention to provide some clarity given the short window buyers have to decide.
Old 16 December 2020, 11:02 PM   #158
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I'm going to be honest, and I've always felt this way about things like this (including the current state of Rolex):

It's a win-win situation, regardless of if you want the watch or not. Supply and demand dictate aftermarket price, and you're a fool if you think it's not ok to take advantage.

I really like the watch in pictures, and it was enough for me to buy it. If it comes in and I love it as much as I thought I would, then great - it's a keeper.

If I don't like it, I know that I have a limited-run, sought after piece - regardless of the Hodinkee name / collaboration. We're talking about a watch that people were asking for (no-date, brushed, no BLANCPAIN on the side of the case) after the 2017 release that is produced at half the numbers of that original milspec. You and I both know what Blancpain limited releases are going for on the grey market (the air command is commanding a hefty premium as well), so at the end of the day, I've just gotten over 14k in Amex points while securing at least a 20% profit (which is a lower end estimate), should I decide that I don't want it and will sell.

Again - win-win, and no one is any better for "passing on it so someone else can buy it".
Old 16 December 2020, 11:22 PM   #159
rotiprata
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm going to be honest, and I've always felt this way about things like this (including the current state of Rolex):

It's a win-win situation, regardless of if you want the watch or not. Supply and demand dictate aftermarket price, and you're a fool if you think it's not ok to take advantage.

I really like the watch in pictures, and it was enough for me to buy it. If it comes in and I love it as much as I thought I would, then great - it's a keeper.

If I don't like it, I know that I have a limited-run, sought after piece - regardless of the Hodinkee name / collaboration. We're talking about a watch that people were asking for (no-date, brushed, no BLANCPAIN on the side of the case) after the 2017 release that is produced at half the numbers of that original milspec. You and I both know what Blancpain limited releases are going for on the grey market (the air command is commanding a hefty premium as well), so at the end of the day, I've just gotten over 14k in Amex points while securing at least a 20% profit (which is a lower end estimate), should I decide that I don't want it and will sell.

Again - win-win, and no one is any better for "passing on it so someone else can buy it".
Amen🙏
rotiprata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 11:42 PM   #160
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Amazing isn’t it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Honestly I thought the presale marketing was weak sauce. Hodinkee has basically been telegraphing these drops. If they were a quarterback they would be Carson Wentz.

They need to learn a thing or two from Rolex teasers. Then again, maybe it’s their intention to provide some clarity given the short window buyers have to decide.
Should have been more precise - it was actually this TRF thread that had me check Hodinkee's website at the right time rather than their own marketing... Still amazing though!
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 11:55 PM   #161
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First thing I did was ask the boutique if I could order a sailcloth.

Then again I find myself in these blancpain threads constantly. Hell I think I started the one in 2017 for the OG and then cancelled my order lol my track record is hot garbage.
I remember that thread and we were both excited about it. I passed on it when I saw the OG at my AD. I should’ve bought it but other watches were higher on the list. Both really nice but I like the OG better.

Congrats to all who ordered one!
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 12:37 AM   #162
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Delusion is thinking a company should honor a LE watch for me than 3 years? Guess I'm not as jaded as you.
I have to agree with you. Blancpain did it’s followers in, the people that were most passionate about it. Really disappointing. If it were Omega or Panerai it would be expected. But Blancpain, definitely thought higher of them and what are they truly getting out of this?
Old 17 December 2020, 12:46 AM   #163
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

Blancpain x HODINKEE

I'm still flabbergasted that Blancpain cannot release something like this without the stupid Hodinkee connection. The must surely know that this is what the audience want - 40mm, no date, brushed case, etc - preferably in a non-limited edition. Price this at $11,500 on a nylon strap - sans mil-spec item on the dial - and you'll have a wait-list for years. How hard can it be???

Yes it is SHOCKING to me that they either 1. Don’t know this
2. Refuse to produce what the people want

These manufacturers seem bent on letting Rolex continue to run away with all the money. It is crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 12:51 AM   #164
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I blasted Hodinkee on IG when the last Blancpain was released saying how I thought is was nearly unethical to ask customers to make a split second decision to buy a 5 figure watch before it immediately sells out with no advanced notice of what the watch would be and what the price would be. Ben replied and disagreed with me . At least this teaser made it obvious on what the watch would be and we can all guess fairly accurately the price point

Old 17 December 2020, 12:54 AM   #165
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

I watched this one for a few minutes and decided that I will just keep waiting to see if Blancpain will produce non limited editions of a 40mm FF or a better dial on the 38mm Bathy

Old 17 December 2020, 01:30 AM   #166
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astewartconst View Post
I watched this one for a few minutes and decided that I will just keep waiting to see if Blancpain will produce non limited editions of a 40mm FF or a better dial on the 38mm Bathy

Seems pretty clear the correct strategy is offer a 40-41mm FF no date without the historical ties. Make them like an AP 15500 where you can get one but it might take 3 months to get.

The CEO flat out said the 40 mm line will remain for limited editions which seems odd. At least offer a 45mm no date. I might even prefer that to the LE’s.

You don’t see Rolex dwelling on the past the way omega, breitling and blancpain do.

With that said...I love these neo vintage releases. My 806 is by far my favorite watch right now. As long as they don’t use fauxtina I’m interested.
Old 17 December 2020, 01:32 AM   #167
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Seems pretty clear the correct strategy is offer a 40-41mm FF no date without the historical ties. Make them like an AP 15500 where you can get one but it might take 3 months to get.

The CEO flat out said the 40 mm line will remain for limited editions which seems odd. At least offer a 45mm no date. I might even prefer that to the LE’s.

You don’t see Rolex dwelling on the past the way omega, breitling and blancpain do.

With that said...I love these neo vintage releases. My 806 is by far my favorite watch right now. As long as they don’t use fauxtina I’m interested.
I found the kudas faux too much for me
Old 17 December 2020, 01:35 AM   #168
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

The standard 40mm FF when they get around to it will probably reintroduce the black/grey sunburst, drop the moisture silly thing, and have the gnarley bezel...... and be available for 25 off lol
Old 17 December 2020, 01:54 AM   #169
woowoo
Banned

To all saying why doesn't BP just do a regular 40mm FF release already as clearly that’s what every potential customer wants. They know this and they are intentionally not doing it.

Panerai tried a similar strategy in the mid 2000s btw: They knew they could make the "perfect" watch that a huge number of potential customers were all demanding. The right size, shape, metal, complications, price. They intentionally chose not to make it. Why?

One argument (and what overpaid consultants might tell a CEO) is that if a brand is really only a one star watch brand (like the fifty fathoms for BP or luminor for Panerai is) and the brand makes the perfect version of that watch that everyone is asking for....Then everyone buys it and moves on. That's it. A hit it and quit it sale. Or the brand can be like a beautiful girlfriend making you wait for it. And wait for it. And wait...Even to the point of being frustrating. When a brand gets close to, but does not actually make the perfect watch, people continue watching the brand and interacting with it to see what they are up to. Maybe customers purchase some almost perfect pieces along the way.

But basically a brand can trade a short term huge profit event to get long term attention instead. And in this day and age, attention is a lot more valuable and hard to keep. Not sure if it’s the right strategy but it’s a strategy.

Look around. You will notice many other luxury brands do something similar. They know what customers want. The brand gets very close but intentionally does NOT make what everyone is asking for. Car companies live off this too.
woowoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 02:36 AM   #170
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

Wow; that's very interesting. I would have loved to have read what his logic was in his response. I understand there are big fish in the sea, but giving folks 10 sec to make a decision whether to spend thousands of dollars on something they have only seen for 10 sec, is pretty crazy.

Some of the other vintage products and such they sell that sell out in the same manner, I get. Folks know what they are looking for - and have seen it already at some point.

Maybe my view is skewed by my shallow pockets and needing time to make a decision. I still bought the watch as it was in line with what I was expecting, but the experience was not as great as it could have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astewartconst View Post
I blasted Hodinkee on IG when the last Blancpain was released saying how I thought is was nearly unethical to ask customers to make a split second decision to buy a 5 figure watch before it immediately sells out with no advanced notice of what the watch would be and what the price would be. Ben replied and disagreed with me . At least this teaser made it obvious on what the watch would be and we can all guess fairly accurately the price point
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 02:53 AM   #171
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Just catching up on this thread. It’s interesting how people get so worked up over LEs. Brands don’t promise they’ll never re-issue or slightly change/enhance a previous LE. Enjoy your “LE” for what it is. A watch.

For what it’s worth I applaud HODINKEE. They influenced a brand to release a watch many people were asking for and there is now a sweet new reference from a brand many respect and appreciate. How is that a bad thing?
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 02:55 AM   #172
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
While I generally agree that seeing the watch at the exact moment it goes live and having to decide in 2 minutes is frustrating, the good part is that Hodinkee allows buyers to return the watch for a full refund, unlike many other retail outlets on luxury watches.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 03:32 AM   #173
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The standard 40mm FF when they get around to it will probably reintroduce the black/grey sunburst, drop the moisture silly thing, and have the gnarley bezel...... and be available for 25 off lol
That would be perfect. The standard 5015 does have a much more upscale construction with its gorgeous hands, applied indices and sunburst dial. Just get rid of the silly blancpain on the case and brush it without date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
To all saying why doesn't BP just do a regular 40mm FF release already as clearly that’s what every potential customer wants. They know this and they are intentionally not doing it.

Panerai tried a similar strategy in the mid 2000s btw: They knew they could make the "perfect" watch that a huge number of potential customers were all demanding. The right size, shape, metal, complications, price. They intentionally chose not to make it. Why?

One argument (and what overpaid consultants might tell a CEO) is that if a brand is really only a one star watch brand (like the fifty fathoms for BP or luminor for Panerai is) and the brand makes the perfect version of that watch that everyone is asking for....Then everyone buys it and moves on. That's it. A hit it and quit it sale. Or the brand can be like a beautiful girlfriend making you wait for it. And wait for it. And wait...Even to the point of being frustrating. When a brand gets close to, but does not actually make the perfect watch, people continue watching the brand and interacting with it to see what they are up to. Maybe customers purchase some almost perfect pieces along the way.

But basically a brand can trade a short term huge profit event to get long term attention instead. And in this day and age, attention is a lot more valuable and hard to keep. Not sure if it’s the right strategy but it’s a strategy.

Look around. You will notice many other luxury brands do something similar. They know what customers want. The brand gets very close but intentionally does NOT make what everyone is asking for. Car companies live off this too.
You make a very good point. I personally feel like rolex does the same with the Daytona. The SS doesn't get the solid sub dials and the PM don't get the bracelet with ceramic. The Pt gets close but again, no solid sub dials.
Old 17 December 2020, 03:33 AM   #174
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I found the kudas faux too much for me
Same, really wanted the kuda but the faux tones were just a bit too much. Sick watch still love it but very happy to see this milspec skipping the patina.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
Old 17 December 2020, 03:33 AM   #175
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Also for the record this one took around 15 min to sell out. So there was actually time to read the specs. Of course I didn't do that lol
Old 17 December 2020, 03:34 AM   #176
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Same, really wanted the kuda but the faux tones were just a bit too much. Sick watch still love it but very happy to see this milspec skipping the patina.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
I opened the kuda box and immediately sold it. Way too heavy handed on an otherwise perfect release.
Old 17 December 2020, 03:38 AM   #177
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I opened the kuda box and immediately sold it. Way too heavy handed on an otherwise perfect release.
Let's hope we gave a winner here with this release in person and on the wrist. I had zero doubts other than the strap which is easy enough to swap out. The blancpain NATO is far and above the nicest I've ever worn, but the sailcloth is the perfect match for the FF imo.
Old 17 December 2020, 03:48 AM   #178
JParm

https://blancpainblog.com/timepieces...thoms-milspec/

Some ideas on future strap buying for this piece...loving it on a honey leather strap if I do keep it.
Old 17 December 2020, 04:07 AM   #179
MzHammer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Just landed, AMAZING.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CI3jILBHZZk/
MzHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 04:10 AM   #180
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzHammer View Post
Man, you cannot say that is a bad looking watch...at all.