The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 April 2019, 12:01 AM   #181
zaza
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan1987 View Post
I was in Caribbean’s last week and I love diving, a lot. I have 6 Rolex watches in total including a Sub and Deep Sea Blue, but for my diving watch I picked Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chronograph. For sore reason not only I felt bad taking Rolex to the bottom with me but also I though what if something will happen to it and water will get in somehow and I will be stuck with expensive repair. For some reason they started to look fragile to me for that task that they were manufactured for. And I realized that Rolex from tool watch became a luxury only watch to me.

The only watch that I use as a tool watch is a Pepsi GMT whenever I go to Europe and thats pretty much it.

Does anyone actually used Subs to dive with them?

You did the right thing. I took mine for a dive in the Antilles last month and now I'm stuck with a broken and foggy watch and an endless list of parts to be replaced. Total cost? 2,095 USD.
Rust devoured the watch from within (rolex 5513). I'm devastated. Not worth the risk IMO, particularly vintage rollies. I learned my lesson the hard way. I'll be uploading a list of the parts that need to be replaced soon (in case you care to know). Don't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 12:12 AM   #182
zaza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Watches View Post
A $10,000 tool watch that’s functionally inferior to a $150 alternative isn’t much of a tool. There’s nothing provocative about that.

I couldn't agree more. I feel so guilty to have taken mine for a dive in the Antilles last month. 2,095 USD in repairs and I'm not even sure if my 5513 will ever be the same again. Most watchmakers refrained from working on it as soon as they knew the damage came from salty water.
Old 3 April 2019, 01:24 AM   #183
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza View Post
You did the right thing. I took mine for a dive in the Antilles last month and now I'm stuck with a broken and foggy watch and an endless list of parts to be replaced. Total cost? 2,095 USD.
Rust devoured the watch from within (rolex 5513). I'm devastated. Not worth the risk IMO, particularly vintage rollies. I learned my lesson the hard way. I'll be uploading a list of the parts that need to be replaced soon (in case you care to know). Don't do it.

Well duh....diving with a 5513 is asinine.

Anything prior to 1990 is no longer meant to be 'used' in such a fashion as it was created.

Anything after can be services/pressure tested to be good as new, but something like a 5513?
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 01:35 AM   #184
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post

Anything prior to 1990 is no longer meant to be 'used' in such a fashion as it was created.

Anything after can be services/pressure tested to be good as new, but something like a 5513?

This. Plus, a Rolex is actually more of a “tool watch” today then it’s ever been. All of them can perform the task they were intended for better than their predecessors. Period. Your perception of them as jewelry is only in relation to exclusivity, rising price, and some shiny surfaces, but that’s irrelevant, as the watch can still accel at its intended purpose.... maybe there are other better means of doing the same job now, but it doesn’t make the match any less good at what it’s intended to do.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 01:36 AM   #185
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Did you look at your Rolex to tell the time in order to accomplish a task or be a certain place at a certain time today? That should end this silly topic once and for all. Of course it's a tool. That said, if one wants to wear one as jewelry then knock yourself out. But in the end it's a tool. Always has been, always will as long as we orient our lives to time.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 01:50 AM   #186
HappyFish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAndSky View Post
Did you look at your Rolex to tell the time in order to accomplish a task or be a certain place at a certain time today? That should end this silly topic once and for all. Of course it's a tool. That said, if one wants to wear one as jewelry then knock yourself out. But in the end it's a tool. Always has been, always will as long as we orient our lives to time.

...by this definition it' s just a watch! But yes-a watch is a tool!

So all can be happy and satisfied now ;-)
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 01:55 AM   #187
Brew
"TRF" Member

Hublot owners everywhere just breathed a huge sigh of relief.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 01:56 AM   #188
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

A datejust is a more appropriate ‘tool’ for me on most days than my largely frivolous sports watches - but I still enjoy them.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 02:30 AM   #189
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
This. Plus, a Rolex is actually more of a “tool watch” today then it’s ever been. All of them can perform the task they were intended for better than their predecessors. Period. Your perception of them as jewelry is only in relation to exclusivity, rising price, and some shiny surfaces, but that’s irrelevant, as the watch can still accel at its intended purpose.... maybe there are other better means of doing the same job now, but it doesn’t make the match any less good at what it’s intended to do.
Go bang a plexi model on a rock while diving and then tell us how much better the modern ones are.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 02:35 AM   #190
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

The price of a Rolex is indeed high; however, they are far more durable today then they ever have been. One of the brands best attributes are simple designs refined by the ages.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 03:04 AM   #191
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

I purchased a new 16610 Sub on 12/21/98, so over 20 years ago. (price on receipt is 2400 plus tax) Except for special events or holidays when I wear my President or Daytona I wear this watch every day. I have gutted 12 deer while wearing this watch and not taken it off I have spent many days driving heavy equipment and doing construction work, I sleep with watch on and Yes I have a shower every morning wearing this watch. The watch has never been opened or serviced. So either I am one lucky guy or this is a tool watch.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 03:21 AM   #192
nicon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

Have you checked it for water tightness before you took it diving? When it had gaskets changed?
nicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 03:50 AM   #193
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I feel so guilty to have taken mine for a dive in the Antilles last month. 2,095 USD in repairs and I'm not even sure if my 5513 will ever be the same again. Most watchmakers refrained from working on it as soon as they knew the damage came from salty water.
send it to Rik
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 04:12 AM   #194
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
This has come up from time to time. My take on it has been, if a hammer cost $10,000, I sure wouldn't be using it to pound nails.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 04:23 AM   #195
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhein View Post
This has come up from time to time. My take on it has been, if a hammer cost $10,000, I sure wouldn't be using it to pound nails.
Depends on your nails. Are your nails in keeping with your hammer/car/wallet/attire/fountain pen/cuff links/paper weight/envelope opener/shoes?
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 04:32 AM   #196
ppbskis
"TRF" Member

In 1983 my wife was able to buy me a BNIB Sea Dweller for $ 580.00
as a junior secretary 20 years old it only took 3 or 4 weeks pay at most.
I know no girls working in a starting position that can purchase a new Sea Dweller with 3 weeks pay. I wore it as an apprentice plumber and general construction worker and beat the crap out of it as it was a "tool watch". I stupidly traded it a few years later for a BNIB Submariner, i thought it was the deal of the century at the time. Only watch move that I regretted.
ppbskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 04:34 AM   #197
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Rolex as a tool watch went out the window when quartz became a thing. The "premium" for Rolex decades ago went to knowing you were buying a trustworthy watch that would stand the test. Now you can buy a $5 Casio which keeps time just as well and usually has other features built in.

The second we started paying a premium for the Rolex brand name, it was no longer a tool.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 05:07 AM   #198
zaza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicon View Post
Have you checked it for water tightness before you took it diving? When it had gaskets changed?

Hello Nicon. I did not..
I should've checked those gaskets.
Watchmaker claims the acrylic crystal had an invisible crack as well (a common problem, plastic gets dry after 30-40 years), besides the gasket issue (water infiltrated from the crown).
I was away from home and couldn't open the case back. When I was connecting in Miami Airport I released the crown and used the hand dryer in the toilet to dry the watch from the inside thinking I was doing the right thing. Turned out to be a bad idea, as it accelerated the oxidation of metal and damaged more components..

Old 3 April 2019, 05:34 AM   #199
zaza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbskis View Post
In 1983 my wife was able to buy me a BNIB Sea Dweller for $ 580.00
as a junior secretary 20 years old it only took 3 or 4 weeks pay at most.
I know no girls working in a starting position that can purchase a new Sea Dweller with 3 weeks pay. I wore it as an apprentice plumber and general construction worker and beat the crap out of it as it was a "tool watch". I stupidly traded it a few years later for a BNIB Submariner, i thought it was the deal of the century at the time. Only watch move that I regretted.

lOl I feel you..
You wanna hear my story?
When I was begging my colleagues to buy bitcoin back in 2010 as a money pool group fund for the office I was mocked and ridiculed. I didn't buy.

Bitcoin went from a few cents a coin to 20,000 USD in less than 7 years. Talk about regret.

Old 3 April 2019, 05:47 AM   #200
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post

Would agree. I just dont risk any of my four or early five digit models in water any more. If they get splashed I am not that concerned but anything beyond is just too risky......save that for something more modern.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 05:54 AM   #201
zaza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Watches View Post
Go bang a plexi model on a rock while diving and then tell us how much better the modern ones are.

Agreed.
My crystal had an invisible crack and is now costing me a fortune in repair costs. My watchmaker showed me the crack with a magnifier.

Later I learned the hard way that plexy crystals have a life span to them, due to humidity, dryness, temperature fluctuations etc.
You'd be better off with a 20 dollar aftermarket plastic crystal than a 40 year old $380 genuine NOS plexi.