The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 June 2016, 06:17 AM   #181
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Who's making popcorn.
And just when I thought this thread was winding down...
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 06:27 AM   #182
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
As Patek owners, we should be holding them to account, rather than gratefully biting the pillow....
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 06:43 AM   #183
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
If you changed investments I suppose you have pics of the ones you had...
Yes, this is the not for sale 5110 wall clock a dealer friend, well... it was here for many years :)

Looked good in theory, yet was too heavy a timepiece and so did not balance well on the wrist.

Typical newer version of the 5167, changed this out for a ceramic Sub ND. Got the wife the smaller mechanical movement version, yet she was too scared to wear it so it got sold back quite fast.

This is actually the second time around with the 5110 RG. One of those things, you get it, eventually trade it, then want it again. So see, I;m a 'watch guy' LOL!

Ok, not a wrist shot yet the only remaining PP here for tux.

Third edition of the 3970er. It was one of my AD's personal timepiece for many years.

Also had the PP very limited edition Harrod's special edition RG that had, as I recall, the 215 manual wind movement, only 35 were made and most went to upper mgt of Harrods as I recall. One of my online friends received number 00 by 'mistake' from the factory. My # was a bit higher. Lovely dial that timepiece and probably the only one I'd want back. Stole the below image from http://www.cagi-due.co.jp/patek2/3316.htm

Old pic of watch box. Still have the LV box, the B&R, Omega and vintage PP. Simply grew tired of setting dates and moonphase and month and.... so ceramic Sub ND and ceramic Everose Daytona took their place.

Yeah, I'm an audio / video guy (and drummer /percussionist too). Pic from previous livingroom as we recently moved to a much larger home. Modded Dunlavy speakers that came out of a mastering studio, Pioneer Kuro plasma TV.... typical bits really and you can see the 5110 clock being put to good use in the livingroom.

(Sigh) And yes there are more, but hopefully you get the idea. Truly do wish PP finds the correct consultant, as I also work in the high-end luxury goods sector. They simply have some issues that can be worked out given the correct following of 'procedure' in the right direction. But for now, PPs are not my 'thing'. Perhaps in the future, we'll see. And lastly, the very kind David Jarrod did discuss with me a black dial 3939H RG as he was a go-between years ago for this rare item. Alas, the then owner was far too unrealistic with pricing. It happens. Other rare collection pieces still find my inbox from time to time yet at this point am holding off on Pateks.

Now if a really special enamel desk clock with a music theme is offered and the pricing is realistic, I'd be open for that. There are always exceptions to the rule
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 07:22 AM   #184
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Jesus, how could you own a Bell & Ross?
that about sums up your contributions here.
Old 13 June 2016, 07:28 AM   #185
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Hi Gus, just asking the obvious question - a box of really good watches, plus a B&R? It just seemed a little incongruous. Maybe it was a present.
Old 13 June 2016, 08:38 AM   #186
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Yes, this is the not for sale 5110 wall clock a dealer friend, well... it was here for many years :)

Looked good in theory, yet was too heavy a timepiece and so did not balance well on the wrist.

Now if a really special enamel desk clock with a music theme is offered and the pricing is realistic, I'd be open for that. There are always exceptions to the rule
Nice pieces you had, does the clock also do WT or is it just time only? They are a little dressy for me, though the 3970r is a beauty, some prefer 5970/5270 pushers but there is something old style about these that I like, I would have kept it, but I've seen members here flipping other even more incredible pieces to be honest, what brands are you into now if this is not indiscreet?

I had 2 Patek, 5712 and 5726 on strap, flipped the second because I didn't love it and the first for a good investment, getting it back in 3 weeks, arrived 2 days ago, have a few other Patek on order, and one from an independent, that will be the pinacle of my watch days and the one I want to leave my kid
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 09:00 AM   #187
Hollister
Banned

Did two posts just get deleted?
Old 13 June 2016, 09:07 AM   #188
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
I don't "stand" anywhere. I have two quite nice PPs, and a bunch of other watches. I have no particular brand affiliation. I think PP's standards have fallen, and there's only one way to get them back on their game. Threads like this are perfect for that purpose.

Quite reasonable, but I can't connect the fact that you think PP's standards have fallen yet one of them is your Exit Watch.

Regardless, a debate amongst members is good, so long as it's substantive, healthy, honest, and not toxic. 🍻
Old 13 June 2016, 09:17 AM   #189
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Quite reasonable, but I can't connect the fact that you think PP's standards have fallen yet one of them is your Exit Watch.

Regardless, a debate amongst members is good, so long as it's substantive, healthy, honest, and not toxic. 🍻
I completely agree, what seems quite difficult is making a reasonable point without having heavily-invested (emotionally and financially) guys shouting "Troll!"
Old 13 June 2016, 09:28 AM   #190
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I completely agree, what seems quite difficult is making a reasonable point without having heavily-invested (emotionally and financially) guys shouting "Troll!"

Cheers.

Following-up, why is a PP your Exit Watch considering your belief that their standards have fallen?
Old 13 June 2016, 09:32 AM   #191
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Cheers.

Following-up, why is a PP your Exit Watch considering your belief that their standards have fallen?
Er... I just happen to like that watch. Is it allowed to like a watch despite believing that standards in the manufacturer may well have dropped? I'm not sure anymore. Should I choose another?

I tell you what - you decide for me.
Old 13 June 2016, 09:39 AM   #192
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
OK, so you quoted my post about B&R, so I didn't imagine it. Two follow-up posts were deleted as well. enjoythemusic explained why he had a B&R, and I replied to that post.

What is going on here? This is seriously seriously weird. Is there some crazy B&R mod prowling around?
Old 13 June 2016, 10:24 AM   #193
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, quite weird indeed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ymjp2uIBws
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 13 June 2016, 10:50 AM   #194
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Er... I just happen to like that watch. Is it allowed to like a watch despite believing that standards in the manufacturer may well have dropped? I'm not sure anymore. Should I choose another?

I tell you what - you decide for me.

You take a reasonable question (asked twice since the first time was ignored) and respond in a confrontational manner. That was not necessary.

Your Exit Watch choice is nice, btw.
Old 13 June 2016, 11:04 AM   #195
Solicitor
"TRF" Member

Sorry but I don't understand why people are quarelling and insulting each other bec of different perspectives on a brand forum?

Isn't this suppose to be a site where we can actually do that? (Hope I won't be flamed for this)
Solicitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 11:23 AM   #196
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitor View Post
Sorry but I don't understand why people are quarelling and insulting each other bec of different perspectives on a brand forum?

Isn't this suppose to be a site where we can actually do that? (Hope I won't be flamed for this)
That is an excellent question. I am getting heat for apparantly ignoring an important question from an important person.
Old 14 June 2016, 04:04 AM   #197
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nice pieces you had, does the clock also do WT or is it just time only?
It works just like the WT watch, so it fluidly tells you the current time in 24 zones around the world. It also weighs around 30 lbs(!) so be sure to hang it securely to a wall stud.

Old 14 June 2016, 05:27 AM   #198
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No there was clearly one who got banned, but apart him never saw any one here say troll on anyone
Old 14 June 2016, 05:39 AM   #199
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It works just like the WT watch, so it fluidly tells you the current time in 24 zones around the world. It also weighs around 30 lbs(!) so be sure to hang it securely to a wall stud.
Very cool, but quite heavy indeed, do they sell them or is it reserved for AD's and you exceptionally can get one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitor View Post

Good question No I don't think you will

Quote:
Yes, quite weird indeed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ymjp2uIBws
Yeah I remember the post of you explaining that you were racing cars with it, but yes it does seem to have disappeared...
Old 14 June 2016, 06:21 AM   #200
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Very cool, but quite heavy indeed, do they sell them or is it reserved for AD's and you exceptionally can get one?
They made only about 50 or so of them for dealers. Never for sale to public, but they do pop up for sale rarely.

Quote:
Yeah I remember the post of you explaining that you were racing cars with it, but yes it does seem to have disappeared...
POOF, gone! Maybe they needed to recycle the electrons?

Old 14 June 2016, 06:26 AM   #201
Hollister
Banned

Quote:

POOF, gone! Maybe they needed to recycle the electrons?
It's so strange, nothing remotely offensive in either of our posts.
Old 14 June 2016, 09:54 AM   #202
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's so strange, nothing remotely offensive in either of our posts.
clearly
Old 15 June 2016, 04:55 AM   #203
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilfire77 View Post
What for? I'm not a Patek hater. In fact I love Pateks, I just want to iterate my point that Patek's sublime hand finishing is only reserved for their high-end products.

Need more proof? There you go...

More macro photos showing the vertical machining marks on the bevels of entry level PP movements (Eg. Cal 240 and 215)..

Source: http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=68631946&st=75

SteveG's close up on the Cal. 240 - Again, notice the presence of vertical machining marks on the bevels
Source: http://ninanet.net/watches/others04/Mediums/mpatek.html

I rest my case.
With that insurmountable evidence I felt that I am truly going mad and once again hauled the watches out and the loupes. Sadly only my be eked edges are highly, mirror polished. Then at a certain angle the mirror finish of the edges began to reflect the brushed steel of the bridge and these vertical lies appeared. When I tilted slightly downwards the same mirrored edges reflected the side of the bridge with similar refraction. So whilst I am definately not saying this is the case in your photographs as they all show appalling milling deficiencies I did notice the exact same retractions of light and reflections of brushed steel as shown in the pictures. So i am delighted that I have the only 6 good, entry level movements produced by PP
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2016, 05:03 AM   #204
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
With that insurmountable evidence I felt that I am truly going mad and once again hauled the watches out and the loupes. Sadly only my be eked edges are highly, mirror polished. Then at a certain angle the mirror finish of the edges began to reflect the brushed steel of the bridge and these vertical lies appeared. When I tilted slightly downwards the same mirrored edges reflected the side of the bridge with similar refraction. So whilst I am definately not saying this is the case in your photographs as they all show appalling milling deficiencies I did notice the exact same retractions of light and reflections of brushed steel as shown in the pictures. So i am delighted that I have the only 6 good, entry level movements produced by PP
Those bevelled edges are mostly angled upwards, away from the plane of rest of the machinery. So it's hard to understand that they are reflections from other parts of the same machine. It's also hard to see why they are not appearing on the Lange/Dufour photos if they are artefacts.
Old 15 June 2016, 05:25 AM   #205
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Those bevelled edges are mostly angled upwards, away from the plane of rest of the machinery. So it's hard to understand that they are reflections from other parts of the same machine. It's also hard to see why they are not appearing on the Lange/Dufour photos if they are artefacts.
Flip I could give you at least 50 explanations but I think considering I have actually gone to the effort of buying a loupe, looked at them twice it kind of puts me at a slight advantage versus a bunch of photographs that were taken by others. A good example is that in macro some of the outside images become blurred when concentrating on a single point. I can't verify those photographs so I agreed that PP is rubbish - I also stated I am delighted that I didn't get those!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2016, 05:31 AM   #206
Hollister
Banned

I need to get a loupe.
Old 15 June 2016, 05:41 AM   #207
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilfire77 View Post
What for? I'm not a Patek hater. In fact I love Pateks, I just want to iterate my point that Patek's sublime hand finishing is only reserved for their high-end products.

Need more proof? There you go...

More macro photos showing the vertical machining marks on the bevels of entry level PP movements (Eg. Cal 240 and 215)..

Source: http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=68631946&st=75

SteveG's close up on the Cal. 240 - Again, notice the presence of vertical machining marks on the bevels
Source: http://ninanet.net/watches/others04/Mediums/mpatek.html

I rest my case.
Rather than recycling these photos can someone post an actual picture of their own watch? We don't know the full history of these watches and it doesn't seem like a sound basis for discussion.

I've checked my 5980 with a loupe and have zero concerns. I've attempted to photo it through a loupe (not with the greatest of success) but at least I can tell you I've seen the watch myself and the finishing is fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.7 KB, 197 views)
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2016, 05:43 AM   #208
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
When was the watch in question, manufactured?
Is there a chance an unfinished movement was used, meaning that's a serious final QC failing?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2016, 06:02 AM   #209
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
When was the watch in question, manufactured?
Is there a chance an unfinished movement was used, meaning that's a serious final QC failing?
I have no idea, they aren't my pictures.
Old 15 June 2016, 06:02 AM   #210
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
The best watch brand? I say Rolex, for the same reason the Beatles are considered the best band- nothing else has enjoyed such commercial and critical success simultaneously.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote