The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 July 2019, 10:09 AM   #181
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Not true , at least in the US. I Tried to get a Platona from AD , and there are waiting lists to get one. At last I think mine is estimated to arrive in September. True 5711 is harder to obtain but don’t think that Platona is widely available , not anymore, at least on this side of the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No AD in London had one when i was after it. Most couldn't get it for months. So not a PP type wait, but it was harder to find than it should have been. WoS had two in all of the UK (they checked)and shipped it down from Manchester.

Cant actually remember the last time i saw one at an AD but its been a while. Both UK and US AD's
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 10:16 AM   #182
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Now I would absolutely do it. Platona is a watch that you can enjoy freely unlike 5711. But more importantly the feel of a Platona on the wrist is amazing. The feel of the 5711 on the wrist is like you have a vintage watch in your wrist , personally I like to feel I have a watch on the wrist, I rather have the 5711R in any case.
I am the opposite to the guy that loves the fact that the watch feels like silk and close to weightless ; I throw up on that ...Lol

Don’t forget that amazing dial of the Platona, in my eyes Platona is the king of Rolexes.

Now if you want to feel good about the fact that you have a unicorn in your wrist then yes 5711 is the choice.

To each it’s own

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 10:17 AM   #183
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
No AD in London had one when i was after it. Most couldn't get it for months. So not a PP type wait, but it was harder to find than it should have been. WoS had two in all of the UK (they checked)and shipped it down from Manchester.

Cant actually remember the last time i saw one at an AD but its been a while. Both UK and US AD's

Yes , the market of Platona is changing

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 10:20 AM   #184
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Now I would absolutely do it. Platona is a watch that you can enjoy freely unlike 5711. But more importantly the feel of a Platona on the wrist is amazing. The feel of the 5711 on the wrist is like you have a vintage watch in your wrist , personally I like to feel I have a watch on the wrist, I rather have the 5711R in any case.
I am the opposite to the guy that loves the fact that the watch feels like silk and close to weightless ; I throw up on that ...Lol

Don’t forget that amazing dial of the Platona, in my eyes Platona is the king of Rolexes.

Now if you want to feel good about the fact that you have a unicorn in your wrist then yes 5711 is the choice.

To each it’s own

still like Patek but there is something to be said for a watch in a similar price range you can beat up. I wear mine harder than any of my Pateks. I get nervous with the 5990 which is sort of a similar price range.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 4 July 2019, 01:42 PM   #185
tonoboon
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,JLC,RL,AP
of course , I'll trade before the bubble pop
tonoboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 04:50 PM   #186
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:

Couple of months ago saw a Platinum Daytona at an AD in Scotland. WOS Manchester don't stock/sell Rolex
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 03:59 PM   #187
tom2517
"TRF" Member

I would do it, but I am not a fan of Nautilus FYI.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 11:21 PM   #188
wesleyvs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Panerai & PP
no brainer: Platona

its a full platinum watch. The way it feels on the wrist can't be compared with the 5711.
Also the looks are really better with the color of the platinum material and brown bezel/ice blue dial combo.

Cheers
wesleyvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2019, 11:32 PM   #189
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Couple of months ago saw a Platinum Daytona at an AD in Scotland. WOS Manchester don't stock/sell Rolex
it was somewhere near that area, up north for sure. who knows. in the 8 years i lived in London, i never once made it north of cambridge in England. So no idea what is what up there
Could have been Birmingham

flew to scotland a few times, but never saw anything in England
Old 8 July 2019, 11:37 PM   #190
Rwatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it was somewhere near that area, up north for sure. who knows. in the 8 years i lived in the UK i never once made it north of cambridge in England. So no idea what is what up there
Could have been Birmingham

flew to scotland a few times, but never saw anything in England
for a small place, we do make everything out like its going to a different realm.

3 Hours drive = a whole new world
Rwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 12:27 AM   #191
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Well it’s a diff language anyhow :)

My Mate is a Geordie and can’t understand a thing he says half the time
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 12:30 AM   #192
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
I couldn’t do it.

ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 12:43 AM   #193
Rwatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Well it’s a diff language anyhow :)

My Mate is a Geordie and can’t understand a thing he says half the time
Old 9 July 2019, 01:47 AM   #194
bob101
"TRF" Member

Tried on one.. nice weight to it for sure and shiny shiny . Wouldn't go for it at retail, sorry Rolex fans.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 10:21 PM   #195
A971
"TRF" Member

Make sure you really can enjoy lugging around a solid platinum watch before you commit to this. On the surface this might be a coin flip, but the reality is the platona is seriously heavy.

If you can see it getting wrist time, do it... buy what you like, don’t look back. :)

Stressing about five years from now will suck too much enjoyment away from whatever decision you make. Of course it’s something we all think of, but it sounds to me like you’ve done your diligence, and have yet to see anyone say you’re setting yourself up to make a bad choice. Try to frame it as an awesome opportunity - a choice between two greats.
A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 10:43 PM   #196
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I would not do this

Value aside, I personally cannot see having this much money tied up in a single watch.

If I sold the 5711, I could buy another watch and repurpose the rest of the funds. I have a 116520.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 10:59 PM   #197
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I like when these threads reappear.

What did the OP decide ... I guess he’s still pondering. During the wait, his 5711 gained another 10 or 20 k
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 01:46 PM   #198
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I like when these threads reappear.

What did the OP decide ... I guess he’s still pondering. During the wait, his 5711 gained another 10 or 20 k
Good one ha! :-)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 01:54 PM   #199
Hanze
Banned

Watch: G-Shock Frogman
My stance is at every opportunity these steel models attract crazy premiums trade in for PM pieces
Hanze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 11:45 AM   #200
doc1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Larry Wildman View Post
Gents - I come to you asking for an opinion.

Background
I have a mint condition 5711 that I've been sitting on for some time. Bought new at AD a few years ago. Name on papers. The whole nine yards. However for whatever reason, I never wear it much. A few times a year. I love the watch though. Love it in my collection, makes me happy to own it, etc.

Dilemma
With the giant surge in 5711 second hand prices, I've thought seriously about selling for something else: namely, a Platona.

When I bought the 5711, it was the most I ever spent retail on a watch, and it still is. I never thought I'd be in a position to own any full precious metal piece. However I'm thinking seriously about "cashing out" of the 5711 for a PM Rolex.

Assume I like both watches EQUALLY on the surface.

My considerations are:
- Should I sacrifice the rarity of a 5711 for a more expensive, but "less desirable" Rolex?
- Am I doing this just to get a more "valuable" (PM?) watch... one that was never in my price range but now has become attainable?
- Will I regret this in 5 years, or will the 5711 bubble pop? (Impossible to know or answer, just curious to hear your thoughts.)

Can't wait to see the responses.
Well I was sort of in this situation.
I did wear my 5712/1A but never really loved it. I like my SS white face Daytona much more. That being said, the market is crazy and I sold it but probably could have gotten more. I didn’t plan on purchasing another watch considering I hade a Patek 5140G and 5196P. Those were my dress watches.
BUUUT. I just couldn’t stop thinking about the Platona. I was really looking for a day date platinum but my dealer had this so I went to see how it felt on the wrist. Long and short, I never went to see the day date at another dealer and purchased the Daytona.
So now I have a platinum and SS. I hope to wear the platinum as a daily. That was the point.
It actually cost me more doing it this way. If you could trade even, I think it is a no brainer if you truly see yourself wearing the Daytona.
Try and take the $$$ out of it.
It is too easy to get caught up in that, and I myself do many times.
Buy what you love. I personally love the ice blue dial.
doc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 03:18 PM   #201
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Buy low, sell high.

The 5711 is unnaturally high right now.

If your heart is set on a Platona (I have 2, and I love 'em) then now's the time. :)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 04:25 PM   #202
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Buy low, sell high.

The 5711 is unnaturally high right now.

If your heart is set on a Platona (I have 2, and I love 'em) then now's the time. :)
Old 12 July 2019, 06:50 PM   #203
Rwatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Well I was sort of in this situation.
I did wear my 5712/1A but never really loved it. I like my SS white face Daytona much more. That being said, the market is crazy and I sold it but probably could have gotten more. I didn’t plan on purchasing another watch considering I hade a Patek 5140G and 5196P. Those were my dress watches.
BUUUT. I just couldn’t stop thinking about the Platona. I was really looking for a day date platinum but my dealer had this so I went to see how it felt on the wrist. Long and short, I never went to see the day date at another dealer and purchased the Daytona.
So now I have a platinum and SS. I hope to wear the platinum as a daily. That was the point.
It actually cost me more doing it this way. If you could trade even, I think it is a no brainer if you truly see yourself wearing the Daytona.
Try and take the $$$ out of it.
It is too easy to get caught up in that, and I myself do many times.
Buy what you love. I personally love the ice blue dial.

This is the truth of it, the current market & value aspect of these amazing watches is being taken out of position. It is very easy to get caught up in the whirlwind.

I have decided to keep onto the 5711 for now. The sale was not worth damaging the relations with my AD and who knows what the future holds. . Right now the 5711 is a staple of any collection as is a Daytona.
Old 13 July 2019, 05:07 PM   #204
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
I’ve also been thinking off trading my 2012 Aquanaut 5167 in for a platinum day date or maybe even for a 5196p
Old 11 June 2022, 11:40 AM   #205
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Any thoughts on such a trade three years later?
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 11:44 AM   #206
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Either will get you mugged without remorse in London nowadays.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 01:49 PM   #207
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Meh not a fan of the platona - maybe for a 5270 or so or another grand comp but not a Rolex just not a fan.

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2022, 10:49 AM   #208
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
there are very few circumstances where i'd trade a patek for a rolex.