The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 May 2011, 10:52 AM   #181
moldowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Screwed View Post
It probably won't be long before the current CEO adds Tourneau to his long list of former employers; but not before he, and his upper management cohorts wreak havoc on the company and decimate the sales-force. Despite their grandiose vision "to improve the Tourneau customer experience" they have cut and slashed sales commissions in excess of 25%, imposed onerous unattainable goals, reduced bonuses to less than the equivalent of waitress tips, severely restricted discounting rendering positive negotiation a near impossibility. A well compensated, motivated sales force is the life blood of a company -- more so in high-end sales and particularly in vanity items such as high-end timepieces. High net-worth customers believe themselves special, and they expect to be treated accordingly. The idea of enhancing the customer experience is certainly a good one. But the customer experience will be a good one only if the customer has contact with a enthusiastic, motivated, seasoned, mature, well groomed, well trained, pleasant, persuasive, empathetic sales professional. Such people are entitled to be compensated commensurate with their sales talent. Admittedly such a combination of qualities is the exception, but Tourneau does in fact employ some exceptional people. The key to assuring the retention of quality sales professionals and to benefit from their continued commitment to the company is proper and just compensation. And in turn their personal success is key to the company's long term strength. Ironically, under the new short-sighted compensation plan marginal sales people have the least to lose, and it will be the quality sales people who will be heading for the doors. Given these truths I pause to wonder if anyone in Touneau upper management has any clue that there is no interaction more important than point-of-sale. Several years ago Home Depot was headed up by an ambitious militaristic CEO . He, like the current Tourneau CEO, embarked on a plan to make a name for himself at the expense of the sales-force. He terminated higher paid senior sales staff replacing them with new lower paid people and lower paid part-timers. The result was an inexperienced inept sales-force. The consequences were a stagnated stock price, a high employee turnover rate, and significant loss of market share to it's competitors. The CEO was shortly thereafter forced out. And it doesn't take a Harvard MBA to realize Tourneau is headed down the same road under current management. The new philosophy of work harder, make more for the company and less for ones-self is anathema.

Tourneau has broken the faith and betrayed some very loyal people. A company cannot steal from employees their livelihood and still expect their loyalty. There is an abundance of competition in the high-end watch business that will be too happy to avail themselves to your best sales talent and customers alike. New hires will come from Wal-Mart and Target. Tourneau's grand aspirations will in time collapse under the weight of an inept, low class, distrusting sales-force. The preferred job title "Sales Professional" will be reduced to a euphemism for mediocrity.

Tourneau will be diminished for it's own greed and hubris.

very well put! and right on the money!!!
moldowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2011, 11:17 AM   #182
VaDave
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD:1665 Sub:5512
Quantum physics Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Explain quantum mechanics in a Twitter post.

Electrons. They're here, they're there, they're everywhere - probabalistically.

How's that?
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2011, 12:12 PM   #183
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
It's funny how you guys talk about treating customers right and they will buy. most people really do not care how they are treated but most about the price. I work for a higher end car dealer and I help everyone equally. Does not matter what they drive or how they are dressed , I give them my 100% attention and service. You do not know how many times I spent hours with a customer test drove them in 3 different cars and gave them the best service they ever got at a dealer.. I would even mail them a hand written thank you card.. And most of those people that I spent 3-4 hours with will buy the car from my competition after I spent all my time with them over $10 a month on a lease payment.. $360 over the 3 year lease even though they got crappy service just because it saved them a buck.. I would understand $50 a month or even $20 but you get beat by a couple of bucks and they quickly forget how much time you spent with them and how nice and knowlagable you are.. It frustrates a sales staff especially when you work somewhere that can not be competitive when discounting watches or whatever..
So I know most people say they would pay for service but in the states people quickly forget about service when they save a dollar..
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2011, 12:25 PM   #184
Army_Doc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB3 View Post
where then in NYC would everyone reccommend me going to buy a new Datejust? I'm looking obviously for best customer service, price, etc. I would consider going to NJ as well if not to far. Thanks everyone.
Morre Lyons in Clifton, NJ. Talk to Ron. I buy there because of their knowledge and respect.
Army_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 03:45 AM   #185
mywifespissed
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC cal 852
I had good service at Tourneau in the South Coast Plaza mall somewhere in the vicinity of LA. The salesman let me, a kid of 21 at the time, play with a $110K Audemars jump hour repeater and an IWC DeVinci. I walked out with an Omega Constellation SS, guess he should have paid closer attention. Kidding, it took me a while to pay it off...
mywifespissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 04:09 AM   #186
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB3 View Post
where then in NYC would everyone reccommend me going to buy a new Datejust? I'm looking obviously for best customer service, price, etc. I would consider going to NJ as well if not to far. Thanks everyone.
I like Lee Perla at Riverside Square in Hackensack.

And, as a bonus, there is a Ferragamo shop right next door. :)
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 08:12 AM   #187
Newrolexbuyer
Banned

Watch: DDII Ever Rose
Thats why I'm never buying in a store again.....hahah I recommend any of the trusted sellers on this forum...they will never treat you like that!
Newrolexbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 01:45 PM   #188
eb641
"TRF" Member

...The 57nth St store is even worse than the Diamond Cellar store at Easton in Columbus...I walked in to the 57nth st store some time ago wearing a 1980's stainless Sub with the intention of buying a TT blue dial model and some time later went to the Easton Diamond cellar poised to buy either a TT GMTC or and 18K GMTC....I walked out of both stores un waited on and un appreciated....I don't expect to be fawned over but common courtesy would be nice...Together they lost sales of around 33k due to stupidity and indolence
eb641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 08:27 PM   #189
gabbman
"TRF" Member

I purchased 2 watches from the NY store and must say the salesman was good and the second watch he called me and told me they had a deal on a leftover that I wouldn't refuse and he was correct but he left for watch maker school and since then the sales people don't seem to take time to remember you after you walk out the door.
gabbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 10:07 PM   #190
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
All I can add, great place to window shop.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 03:35 AM   #191
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarencek View Post
I also had the worst retail shopping experience ever at Tourneau on 57th St.

I was in there looking at Breitlings on the first floor. I was dressed in a t-shirt, shorts and sneakers. After 1 minute a sales guy came in and asked me to go downstairs to browse the selection there - for those that don't know, the basement is where the cheaper selection is.

I said, no thanks and he PERSISTED to say I should go downstairs... standing very close to me to be clear that I wasn't supposed to continue browsing.
I just walked out...

--

I went to Wempe (dressed the same mind you), and they buzzed me in, sat me down, offered me sparkling water, and I proceeded to try on a number of rolexes. It was pretty clear I had no intention of buying, but when I left, the guy gave me his card. Very polite, totally professional.

3 months later I bought a DJ for my dad from him.

--

The only Tourneau worth going to in NYC is the one on 53rd and Madison. They will actually do watch band adjustments for free. I just walk in and say, can you resize it and they do it on the spot.
They're also much friendlier and will actually let you see some watches without a lot of hassle and pushiness.
omg.. that was really nasty!! run! .. jennifer
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 03:47 AM   #192
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
I had a bad experience in NY with these same people .. They are swine and I refuse to deal with losers like that
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 03:50 AM   #193
Andelain
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing your 6......
I went to the Tourneau in Atlanta recently and looked around some. The saleslady seemed nice enough, showed me several watches, including an AP that really caught my eye. I started to really like it and asked a few questions about it. It was used, so I asked if she had any wiggle room on the price. She said they did, but she wasn't going to tell me how much unless I was ready to buy. Bad assumption on her part, I might have bought it right then if I'd liked the price she came back with.
Andelain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 03:53 AM   #194
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I actually like the Tourneau Time Machine. I've never purchased a watch from them but are always ready to help. I'm greeted nicely at the door and they always ready to point you to the right direction (even though I know where I'm going). They've adjusted all my watches at no charge. I brought my brothers TAG for a new battery, they replaced it at no charge.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 03:54 AM   #195
imaddhatter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
Sorry that had to happen to the OP, but it just shows why our patronage goes to other vendors.
Old 11 August 2011, 03:55 AM   #196
mjm800
"TRF" Member

I had a lady and Tourneau yell at me. This was over the phone.

I told her I was looking at a watch that was list priced at 3700 I asked what's the best price on this watch? She said you're looking at it (classic).

I said can't you come down a bit she played the I'll ask my manager game put me on hold. She came back and said 3200 (which is not bad). I said I was thinking more like 2800 just negotiating mind you thinking I would still pay 3000.

She then yelled...No way, not on this watch, never going to happen!

I said...

Bought the same watch from Feldmar for 2950 (free shipping).
Old 11 August 2011, 04:06 AM   #197
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
A contrarian view (and I have had horrible experiences at T as well):

I used to run a very high end art & antique auction house, and have personally handled numerous multi-millionaires, and two billionaires in regards to valuable objects.

I can say, there are a surprising amount of these people that prefer being treated as T does on many occasions. Although I think that's sad and disagree with their treatment, it's entirely possible that their strategy is working quite well for them.

Let's just say it's not a WIS kind of store...
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 04:08 AM   #198
43builder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116528 YG Daytona
I am also a customer of the Tourneau in va and I bought one watch, a breathing from them a while back. I wouldnever consider a rolex or anything of that matter from them because I feel that the service at other dealers is better. They also do not give discounts on anything, so I rather buy my rolex's at the AD in Tysons corner where I know the staff and am treated the way you should if you are considering forking over $10,000
Omega Vintage 1970's 617 Movement
43builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 07:06 AM   #199
007bond
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Was informed recently T lost AD status. What goes around...
007bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 07:48 AM   #200
MB7000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date,Deepsea
I just didn't like the fact that the T salesperson did not even know the basics on the watch I was looking at.. I mean come on, if you are unsure if a certain famous watch is quartz or automatic, it's time for a new profession.

What goes around...Indeed!
MB7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 07:56 AM   #201
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007bond View Post
Was informed recently T lost AD status. What goes around...
some have, other have not; in fact, Rolex is teaming up with T in Orlando to do the Rolex boutique.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 11:05 AM   #202
jyyanks
"TRF" Member

I will say that I have had a decent experience at Tourneau in Time Warner Center (58th between 8th and 9th)

The salesperson I talked to was very informative and honest. He listened to what I was looking for and made some nice recommendations, based on what I wanted, not on price. The only thing is that they don't discount. I may still end up buying *something* from them, just not a rolex.
jyyanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 11:39 AM   #203
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
I'm not saying people haven't had bad experiences at T, however, I've been to 3 of them, one was Worth ave. in west palm beach, FL, one was at the palm beach gardens mall, one was their superstore in Vegas. Very positive experiences all 3 times. And, though I do generally wear a nice watch, I dress poorly and it's pretty clear I'm an enthusiast just browsing, and yet, I've been shown nothing but respect, and they all were very happy to show me anything I wanted to see.

I guess it's luck of the draw.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 11:41 AM   #204
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
I haven't had good customer service anywhere in NYC for anything. I think 90% of the people there need an attitude adjustment....
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 12:17 PM   #205
TopNotchChach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
You should write a letter to the company.

They are pretty snobby here at the century city store.

Whats funny is that you ask them a questions about a specific model and they don't even know what you are talking about.

animals!
TopNotchChach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 12:29 PM   #206
Melanotaenia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorers and Subs
Living here in NYC, I frequent the watch stores, and I have been to Tourneau at 59th and have been politely asked if I would like to check the selection downstairs. Mind you I am a 30 year old guy in a button down AND A ROLEX ON.

The new boutique though is indeed like a whole other world; they hired some pretty cool staff there, and they are helpful while being "out of the way" at the same time

That is what I prefer; I like to walk into the store, see the employees attentive, but not up in your face; they can easily tell when you want them to come over and "talk"
Melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 12:35 PM   #207
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I was just in NYC this past weekend and had a good experience at Wempe.
Fortunately, I didn't get to experience the T experience.
paverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 12:49 PM   #208
jyyanks
"TRF" Member

Funny - I thought Wempe was awful. There was also this awful snooty woman who ignored me although there was no one else in the store. Finally, I was approached by a gentleman who was incredibly snooty and really didn't know much about the watch I was looking at.
jyyanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 12:59 PM   #209
howitzer

Watch: GMT Duce
Not defending T here, and I do take my business elsewhere, but living in NY for my entire life, the luxury retailers here get bombarded day after day by tens of thousands of tourists browsing in the "I can't afford" section. I'm sure it is exhausting. Hint for getting service at T: Arrive with a large sized friend dressed in a dark suit and a clear coiled ear piece coming out from his collar who "security sweeps" the store prior to you entering. Play the game. They want you think "exclusive" and that their S**T does not stink. Give it back to them. Just my 2cts.
howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2011, 02:10 PM   #210
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

I live Jersey. Has anyone dealt with the T here? Just looking for feedback on experiences and prices.
Thanks