The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 August 2023, 02:07 AM   #181
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Here you go;
It seems njlam had a Bingo:

"Following the choice made by Jörg Bucherer, in the absence of direct descendants, to sell his company’s business, Rolex has decided to acquire the watch retailer, which was until now an independent entity. This move reflects the Geneva-based brand’s desire to perpetuate the success of Bucherer and preserve the close partnership ties that have linked both companies since 1924."

INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 02:14 AM   #182
Corvette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Brasole View Post
Small wait, roughly a month for the SD and 3 months for the Pepsi. No big deal and definitely saved on the premium. At one point people were buying the Pepsi for what I paid for both watches

And I’m not trying to argue either. Just that Rolex is no Ferrari/Lamborghini/Pagani/Bugatti or whatever other super car you want to compare it to.

It’s a Lexus /Mercedes/ BMW. People that might not know watches will think it’s a Ferrari though. But those who know , know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My point is though...in any normal purchasing situation you'd be able to walk into a dealer, pick out X model, and buy it on the spot. It doesn't work that way with companies such as Rolex, Hermes, Ferrari, etc that control their supply chain to create a market that doesn't satisfy demand.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying Rolex is Ferrari but I would say it is a Hermes where you need to create relationships, buy "less desirable" products, and basically wait in line to be allocated a desirable model.

10 years ago you could go to a case, pick out whatever watch you wanted, and walk out the same day. I'm quite certain we will never see that again. Whether you agree or not, Rolex has moved up-market.
Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 02:18 AM   #183
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
I heard rolex is one of the largest land owners in Switzerland and holds prime real estate in most major cities, bucherer locations are always prime so to them this deal is as much as it is a business deal as it is a real estate deal.
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 02:21 AM   #184
redtigers
"TRF" Member

I'm curious if anyone has insight into how rolex manages allocations in it's Geneva store. Is the allocation experience any different from the typical AD experiences. I suspect more of the same(bundling/purchase history etc).
redtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 02:47 AM   #185
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette View Post
My point is though...in any normal purchasing situation you'd be able to walk into a dealer, pick out X model, and buy it on the spot. It doesn't work that way with companies such as Rolex, Hermes, Ferrari, etc that control their supply chain to create a market that doesn't satisfy demand.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying Rolex is Ferrari but I would say it is a Hermes where you need to create relationships, buy "less desirable" products, and basically wait in line to be allocated a desirable model.

10 years ago you could go to a case, pick out whatever watch you wanted, and walk out the same day. I'm quite certain we will never see that again. Whether you agree or not, Rolex has moved up-market.

It's only been like 5-6 years ago for most models outside of a Daytona or maybe a black/blue GMT. This is all a relatively recent phenomenon. Heck, I have a friend who wasn't even "allowed" to buy a Toyota GR Corolla recently after tons of dealer shenanigans. Is it even easy to buy a Corvette right now?
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 02:53 AM   #186
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
That's unlikely to be how it will work.

Bucherer AG will still exist as a legal entity. Rolex SA will most likely simply acquire the shareholding in Bucherer that's currently owned by Jörg Bucherer and Bucherer AG will become a subsidiary of Rolex SA.

Its not like Rolex are going into retail directly. They're simply taking ownership of a retail operation that they happen to supply.
Ahhh that makes sense. Thanks!
Old 26 August 2023, 03:18 AM   #187
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Brasole View Post
Small wait, roughly a month for the SD and 3 months for the Pepsi. No big deal and definitely saved on the premium. At one point people were buying the Pepsi for what I paid for both watches

And I’m not trying to argue either. Just that Rolex is no Ferrari/Lamborghini/Pagani/Bugatti or whatever other super car you want to compare it to.

It’s a Lexus /Mercedes/ BMW. People that might not know watches will think it’s a Ferrari though. But those who know , know

The funny thing about that classification of where Rolex stands is those that own and can wear any watch brand or model in the world like DS Williams wife at a huge event like Monterey filled with people that “know” watches and she wears a Rolex rainbow Daytona but was considering a platinum Daytona. Now that is a very intriguing since PP was never brought up and she clearly has access to any PP model she wants to wear. I’d have never been convinced more bespoke watch brands like PP have the same appeal and wrist presence for those looking to make a watch statement as Rolex. I see it too much with celebrities with huge watch collections and what they really wear most of the time.
Old 26 August 2023, 03:24 AM   #188
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

WoS shares down 30% today (Friday ) biggest faller on uk market
Old 26 August 2023, 03:28 AM   #189
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I agree with this.

IMHO, Rolex will NEVER allow it's brand to look like it did 10yrs ago ever again.

Cases FULL of multiples of the same reference, Grey market sellers moving fully stickered product @ 20% off straight from the AD to the consumer

Pre-owned Watches (yes, including the SS Daytona) selling far below retail.

PM and TT watches getting substantial DISCOUNTS from the AD to sell them.

Pre owned PM models being offered for 40% off retail?

That simply won't be the case again. That kind of brand erosion is for Omega and the other guys to present to the market. NOT Rolex.

100% this
Old 26 August 2023, 03:52 AM   #190
wfitch
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ II 116330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Well said and agree.
Before is was not Rolex's fault that I couldn't get one of their watches at retail. It was the fault of the AD, grey's, relationships etc.
Now it's directly Rolex's fault.
Old 26 August 2023, 03:57 AM   #191
wfitch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
A potential monopoly? Lol. What on “rolex products “?

I have to agree with this. What's the monopoly? It's their watch and now their distribution stream / point of sale.
It's like saying Tesla cars and dealerships have a monopoly on cars.
There are plenty of other watches and cars.
Old 26 August 2023, 04:02 AM   #192
wfitch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Agreed. Rolex is essentially “Mercedes” to Omega’s “BMW” and Grand Seiko’s “Lexus”. It seems like limiting sales to try and propel them into becoming “Bentley” is tenuous if the product itself doesn’t change, although hype can certainly carry a company for a while.

I certainly think Rolex is among the best “beater” luxury watches that can handle a day to day bashing, but they’re not even close to a brand like Patek in my mind.
I'm skeptical. There's some serious arm hair discrepancies in the two pictures.
Old 26 August 2023, 04:44 AM   #193
LegB4Wicket
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Since this was announced I’ve been doing a bit of research on Bucherer and Tourneau.

The articles released today suggest that the retail group is over 100 outlets worldwide but I make it 36 Bucherer sites in Europe and then 34 Tourneau sites in the USA. Do they have shops elsewhere (East?) in the world?
Bucherer owns three stores in Canada - Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

Rolex has approximately 24 dealers in Canada and Tudor has around three dozen - many of which sell both.
LegB4Wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 04:50 AM   #194
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegB4Wicket View Post

Rolex has approximately 24 dealers in Canada and Tudor has around three dozen - many of which sell both.
Are you sure? I can’t find any Canadian locations on their site
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 04:59 AM   #195
LegB4Wicket
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Are you sure? I can’t find any Canadian locations on their site
https://www.carl-f-bucherer.com/en/stores/canada
LegB4Wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 05:14 AM   #196
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's only been like 5-6 years ago for most models outside of a Daytona or maybe a black/blue GMT. This is all a relatively recent phenomenon.
100% agree that everyone is all 'crazy' nowadays. 1995 was easy, the late 90s were VERY easy to get due to Asian financial mess... Heck, even 2005-2007 wasn't too too bad.

---
---

All good and i trust Rolex over _____ conglomerates. Am 100% sure the mature, longtime, smart folks in the room at Rolex have been considering the next 10 years, and 25 after that, and of course 50 after that.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 05:21 AM   #197
joejoe1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
Wow
Old 26 August 2023, 05:40 AM   #198
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
More breaking news: sources report that Shiv, Rome and Kendall - with their backers - have made an eleventh hour bid for Bucherer rumoured to be north of 2 bil. Rolex yet to respond.

:-D
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 05:44 AM   #199
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Those are not Bucherer's; they are jewelers/ADs that carry Carl F. Bucherer watches.
Old 26 August 2023, 05:45 AM   #200
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:

Thank you.

Still no evidence of “100 plus outlets” given the below;

Bucherer

* Switzerland = 16

* Germany = 13

* UK = 4

* France = 1

* Austria = 1

* Denmark = 1

= 36 in total

Tourneau

* California = 10

* Florida = 4

* Hawaii = 3

* Illinois = 1

* Massachussetts = 1

* Nevada = 2

* New York = 9

* Pennsylvania = 3

* Virginia = 1

* Canada = 3

= 37 in total

So I make the proposed Rolex SA purchase the 73 outlets (plus any offices/distribution sites etc) but not 100 plus oft quoted
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 05:47 AM   #201
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
100% agree that everyone is all 'crazy' nowadays. 1995 was easy, the late 90s were VERY easy to get due to Asian financial mess... Heck, even 2005-2007 wasn't too too
Do you remember how people reacted with toilet paper back in 2020? Most if not everyone has gone absolutely mad for everything and anything
Old 26 August 2023, 05:47 AM   #202
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Do you remember how people reacted with toilet paper back in 2020? Most if not everyone has gone absolutely mad for everything and anything
Yuppers! They call(ed) it the 'everything bubble' for a reason.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 06:00 AM   #203
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenDelicate View Post
More breaking news: sources report that Shiv, Rome and Kendall - with their backers - have made an eleventh hour bid for Bucherer rumoured to be north of 2 bil. Rolex yet to respond.

:-D
That’s a bid and new management team I can really get on board with
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 06:20 AM   #204
cy888
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Bucherer does not own those stores, they are family owned AD's.
cy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 07:46 AM   #205
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think it is easy for some to confuse a retailer that sells Carl F Bucherer watches with one who is owned by the parent Bucherer company.

I predict more confusion will reign throughout the coming months and perhaps as much as 2 years. During that time some redundancies will be rationalized.

Eventually, Rolex Group will absorb the firm into its management structure but I expect the Bucherer brand will survive where it makes good sense to the bottom line.

Let’s face it, had it been worth Billions there would have been a bidding war versus a “stepping in”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 08:17 AM   #206
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlippe View Post
I agree they don’t need an entry level price point as Rolex watches are an aspirational luxury product like you say, but the Rolex trust isn’t just about Rolex watches. If they want to put in their future AD agreement that a AD can only carry Rolex owned watch brand then they need an entry level one. Why let entry level buyers go to other brands when they can get them on the aspirational train like you say. Also, they have stopped using the term Authorized Dealer and now are pushing “Official Rolex Jeweler.” I was corrected at one of my AD this summer by a manager. Looking back now this name change was a telegraphing move they were getting into the jewelry store business. Not only is it going to be interesting to watch Rolex over the next 5-10 years but to watch what happens to the gray market if Rolex is serious about stopping the flippers.
So are we now going to introduce the term ORJ (Official Rolex Jeweler) ?
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2023, 08:29 AM   #207
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
BREAKING NEWS: Rolex buys Bucherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette View Post
Oh come on...you walked into an AD that you had zero history with and purchased a Pepsi? I mean...that's laughable let's be realistic here.

I'm not trying to start a fight with you but I belive you think the only way to compete with the "big boys" is to produce complicated watches. I disagree as it isn't what Rolex is and it doesn't need to become the next Patek. I'd argue that AP is known only for their Royal Oak and everything else they produce isn't coveted. I'd say almost every professional model Rolex makes has a fanbase and sells quickly.

Don’t argue with that guy. In the words of wei koh he’s a pool sh***er.
Old 26 August 2023, 09:33 AM   #208
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The funny thing about that classification of where Rolex stands is those that own and can wear any watch brand or model in the world like DS Williams wife at a huge event like Monterey filled with people that “know” watches and she wears a Rolex rainbow Daytona but was considering a platinum Daytona. Now that is a very intriguing since PP was never brought up and she clearly has access to any PP model she wants to wear. I’d have never been convinced more bespoke watch brands like PP have the same appeal and wrist presence for those looking to make a watch statement as Rolex. I see it too much with celebrities with huge watch collections and what they really wear most of the time.
Sure, but plenty of people and celebrities who can afford to wear anything also wear other brands that vary quite a bit in price.

It's like Porsche vs. Ferrari. A Porsche is more common, easier to maintain, more durable for daily driving, easier to acquire (although some are quite hard to get), and some of the higher end models compete with Ferrari...but, overall, Porsche and Ferrari are in different leagues.
Old 26 August 2023, 10:00 AM   #209
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Sure, but plenty of people and celebrities who can afford to wear anything also wear other brands that vary quite a bit in price.

It's like Porsche vs. Ferrari. A Porsche is more common, easier to maintain, more durable for daily driving, easier to acquire (although some are quite hard to get), and some of the higher end models compete with Ferrari...but, overall, Porsche and Ferrari are in different leagues.

Agreed. Porsches are much better!
Old 26 August 2023, 10:39 AM   #210
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Agreed. Porsches are much better!
I prefer Porsches, too, but Ferraris are much more dear and exclusive. The least expensive Ferrari is $250k. Similarly, many may prefer Rolex, but they’re not in the same league as the likes of Patek.