The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2007, 07:24 PM   #181
mlb

Watch: DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
Why be a doctor when you can be a lawyer? Why be a lawyer when you can be an astronaut? Why wear jeans when you can wear khakis? Why wear a Submariner when you can wear a Datejust? Why wear a Datejust when you can wear a GMT? Why go surfing when you could go sailing?

Everybody's boat floats a little differently, guys. But, we can all have a good time in the same pond
I totally agree. Why would he say to save money, when he could save money by not buying a Rolex? One expensive thing does not differ from another, they are not a necessity - just a WANT!
mlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 09:44 PM   #182
idolz
"TRF" Member

Wank value is all I get from my Rolex..............
idolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 10:15 PM   #183
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
Is there no-one in this thread who wears a Rolex to tell the time?
Me - Me - Me - Me

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 10:20 PM   #184
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
What else can you do with a watch besides wear it?
Old 19 June 2007, 10:26 PM   #185
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
Is there no-one in this thread who wears a Rolex to tell the time?
On this point... I'm wearing the AK today right and I'm on my way to meet my Mum for lunch. I stop off at a store, browse for a few mins and then check the time... oh crap where did that 12mins go (should have been 6mins since leaving my office) so I get there to meet her and I'm like 15mins late....

I then sat there staring at the AK trying to figure out where i went wrong... then I discovered that I must have read the dial wrong... seconds hand minutes hand... all the same thing right???

So yeh I cant tell the time and wear a Rolex!

I think the particular dial on the AK is a bit hard to read in certain light......
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 10:49 PM   #186
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
On this point... I'm wearing the AK today right and I'm on my way to meet my Mum for lunch. I stop off at a store, browse for a few mins and then check the time... oh crap where did that 12mins go (should have been 6mins since leaving my office) so I get there to meet her and I'm like 15mins late....

I then sat there staring at the AK trying to figure out where i went wrong... then I discovered that I must have read the dial wrong... seconds hand minutes hand... all the same thing right???

So yeh I cant tell the time and wear a Rolex!

I think the particular dial on the AK is a bit hard to read in certain light......

Keep'em coming, Amanda, you're great

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2007, 11:26 PM   #187
AR
"TRF" Member

Watch: A. Lange Saxonia
I wear my glasses for 17 hours a day, I had my shoes on for 9 hours a day, my wallet in my pocket for 12 hours, but my watch for 24 hours, all the time. The one thing that is with me all the time. So I try to get the best one for my watch, a Rolex, ofcourse.
AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 12:56 AM   #188
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
For me, it was a sign of accomplishment. I worked on Wall St. and the successful people around me had them. I knew if I worked hard and became successful I could start to afford the better things in life. Finally at age 30 I got a Rolex. A few years later a nice house in San Francisco. A few years later, another Rolex. I used to think my watch was for other people, but I have matured. It is for me. I introduced my wife to Rolex. She now has 2 of them. Hers are diamond encrusted (good think she makes more $$ than I do). I would never spend that much on a watch for myself!
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 01:18 AM   #189
DATEJUSTSS
Banned

Watch: GMT IIC
Quite frankly, no other watch looks as substantial to me. Even the top tier brands with huge ticket price tags don't have the...uh, vibe? There is a certain intangible balance in the design that just looks incredible on a person's wrist-regardless of the model. Granted, I've got a quartz Tag that I can leave in a drawer for a year at a time and when I go back to it, it's right on the mark to the second. But it doesn't have that quiet class, that balance and obvious quality. I love the brand and I'm glad that I don't need a justification to wear it.
DATEJUSTSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 07:37 AM   #190
rolex5

Watch: TT RG Jubi TOG
I wear (buy) my Rolex because of my defect Cartier. I love my Rolex because of this forum (info about Rolex). :)))
rolex5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 08:13 AM   #191
"TRF" Member

Pretty much to know the time during the day!
3135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 04:34 PM   #192
wandyprawira
"TRF" Member

It just somehow upgrades my self confidence, although I never intentionally show it off to people, but just by knowing it's there on my wrist I got this confidence boost. Don't ask me why.
wandyprawira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 10:18 PM   #193
supermarz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac67 View Post
Why do I wear a Rolex?

Quite simply, I can't afford a Patek Philippe, so I slum it with a Rolex.

John.
haha good call! i think i am the same with you....considering we have the same grail watch.....

oh well one day .....one day there will be a patek for me ....hopefully
supermarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 10:31 PM   #194
Unstable
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue sub
I wear my Rollie to cover the tan line on my wrist
Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 10:44 PM   #195
aturner71
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Date Sub

1. I got tired of asking the time and getting the response; Time to get a watch.
2. Believe it or not, the only watch that "looked good on me" was a Rolex. Go Figure. I guess I have that "it" to wear a Rolex.

Have fun with this everyone. I love this forum as much as my TT Blue Sub.
aturner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 10:56 PM   #196
ozwalk

Watch: GMT II
Why a rolex

Rolex is many things to many people, but when push comes to shove they are a thing of beauty to behold, it just gives me a great feeling to have it on my wrist and appreciate what a wonder of engineering and absolute beauty it is.
ozwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2007, 12:31 AM   #197
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Tough Question for an old guy

Probably has to do with climbing the success ladder during years that a Rolex was a reward for the most successful businessmen, and sports figures. Seems to be a sign of success if only in the minds of us old guys.

Last edited by Green Arrow; 22 June 2007 at 02:51 PM..
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2007, 05:30 AM   #198
XMD
"TRF" Member

I bought it because it is what I like. I wear it because my wife and me have couple watches. It is like a ring to us. Additionally, it was also a gift from her parents to us.
XMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2008, 07:59 AM   #199
BTSinAustin
"TRF" Member

Since i average 1,800 every 18 months on a new computer and the Rolex I have on right this second was made in 1957...hmmm

I only wish i had the brains to buy a few when i first wanted to. The first time I almost bought one it was a two tone Datejust, 900.00, bought a Seiko instead. Not a good call.

Got that TT DJ last year so you know what it cost. Look in the pics section undera post called ooops for a pic.
BTSinAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2008, 08:22 AM   #200
Golf11
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
i wear one to tell time and it's dependable and well made.
Golf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2008, 08:22 AM   #201
BlackpoolRolexCoaste

Watch: Blue sub & SS Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
I buy the best and I only cry once.
I shall remember that line!!
BlackpoolRolexCoaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2008, 08:28 AM   #202
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Its the symbolism of success. In America, he who has very little is nobody very much. This is a very competitive place. A Rolex gives you a sense of instant celebrity in your circle of peers. They will only remember the guy with the Rolex before they remember your name. I use these luxuries to get womens attention. People only see you and judge you on the outside before a word comes out of your mouth. I also wear a Rolex and drive my car to attract women.
I don't agree, Mikey:

a) in my forty years of wearing my GMT I reckon that 99% of people I have interacted with haven't even noticed my watch - and if they have they haven't known what it is. They have remembered me only for what I have contributed, not as 'Mr Rolex'. Any success I can lay claim to has been 100% down to my personality and ability, not what accessories I have worn.

b) what sort of women are you wanting to attract? IMHO any woman who is attracted to a man by his watch/car is pretty shallow. Accessories might form part of any initial impression but, believe me, for the vast majority of women real attraction is in what a man says and how he sounds and what he does - oh, and in a certain chemistry. Cars and watches don't get a look in.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2008, 08:29 AM   #203
Pete On Tour

I wear any of my watches because I like them,

and don't give a rip what anyone else thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshook View Post
I wouldn't say you got off topic (topic was why do you wear a Rolex). If you use your watch to score chicks that's your business. Where I live BMW's and Tags are a dime a dozen. If I lived in Nebraska maybe a Rolex would have a more magnetic approach to the opposite sex.
I got a kick out of this statement. My son is an attorney in Nebraska and so I get there as much as possible to visit. One of the best known jewelry/watch retailers in the country, Borsheims, owned by Warren Buffett is in Omaha, Ne, and they don't even carry Rolex. In addition, last fall I spent a lot of time looking for a GMTIIc in California, etc. to no avail. The first AD I walked into in Nebraska had one in the case. From my perspective, Nebraska doesn't seem too over-zealous about Rolex.
Pete On Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2008, 08:38 AM   #204
newrolexman
"TRF" Member

It didnt make much sense to me driving a $140,000 Porsche Twin Turbo and wearing a $80 G Shock Casio. The light went on one day a few months ago and I bought a DD YG,, then a few weeks ago purchased a GMT ll C.

Now it all fits together.

I ll probably go for a sub, SD and YM soon as I get the urge. Beats collecting artwork or HO Trains.

D

ps. nothing is as accurate as my G Shock atomic watch. I use it to tell time,, love a digi display, cant see the rolex dials as well to get the exact time but who cares. When someone asks me the time,, I look at my cell phone!! I bet many of us do when we need the exact time. lol

newrolexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2008, 09:01 AM   #205
DC watchman
Banned

Quote:
Its the symbolism of success. In America, he who has very little is nobody very much. This is a very competitive place. A Rolex gives you a sense of instant celebrity in your circle of peers. They will only remember the guy with the Rolex before they remember your name. I use these luxuries to get womens attention. People only see you and judge you on the outside before a word comes out of your mouth. I also wear a Rolex and drive my car to attract women.
I changed my mind; this is now the dumbest post I have read on any watch forum.
DC watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2008, 09:11 AM   #206
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGMT View Post
I don't agree, Mikey:

a) in my forty years of wearing my GMT I reckon that 99% of people I have interacted with haven't even noticed my watch - and if they have they haven't known what it is. They have remembered me only for what I have contributed, not as 'Mr Rolex'. Any success I can lay claim to has been 100% down to my personality and ability, not what accessories I have worn.

b) what sort of women are you wanting to attract? IMHO any woman who is attracted to a man by his watch/car is pretty shallow. Accessories might form part of any initial impression but, believe me, for the vast majority of women real attraction is in what a man says and how he sounds and what he does - oh, and in a certain chemistry. Cars and watches don't get a look in.

Stan.
Agree 100% Stan. I couldn't disagree with Mikey's post less. I don't view America like he does and I don't think many others do either. Besides, in my experience, people just don't notice the watch you're wearing. I wear a Rollie for myself and no one else.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2008, 09:42 AM   #207
HemisFear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
I wear mine because as far back as I can remember, my dad wore it. We always used to marvel at the huge watch with the red and blue border. Now, when I look down at it on my wrist, I get a connection with him that I don't have anymore. And, I can look forward to passing it along to my own son, and thus maintaining that connection to future generations.
AMEN!!!!!!!!

I've read through this entire thread and all I can say is that at 31 years old, having two children of my own who are very young, it is important to me that I pass on something that stands for excellence and a rememberance of history. A watch from a father to his son can attain this very thing from a symbolic standpoint.

The rest of the niceties about owning a Rolex are just that....niceties.
HemisFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2008, 10:57 AM   #208
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Quote:
Where's the ?

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2008, 11:09 AM   #209
BLSampson
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Submariner
I bought it to make up for my small thingy..........NO.
I bought it because I'm a snob........NO.
I bought it because I could.......NO.
I actually forgot why I bought it but am now addicted to them. Is anyone out there that can help me?
Old 31 January 2008, 11:45 AM   #210
MEM 213

Watch: S/S GMT IIc
I agree with montecristo, 10 bucks a day for two years and you have a watch for life. If I counted all of the times that I have blown 10 or 20 bucks on nothing, that would add up to a very nice collection that I would actually have possession of instead of having no idea of where I have spent my money.
MEM 213 is offline   Reply With Quote