The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 March 2012, 11:34 PM   #181
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
Rolex calls it "Experimental," therefore it is not a production watch for the masses. This is as it should be. The watch that makes the dive will go back to Rolex and probably be displayed at special events, along with a limited number of others, while the masses buy DSSDs and have their photographs taken with it.

IMHO, we should call it "The Challenger Beast" in honor of its lineage and massive size.

Thank you Philipp for sharing this with us.
Old 21 March 2012, 11:46 PM   #182
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a crystal nearly as thick as the whole of the SD 4000
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 11:56 PM   #183
PokerOps
"TRF" Member

ROLEX DEEP-SEA HISTORY

http://deepseachallenge.com/the-expe...epsea-history/
PokerOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 12:18 AM   #184
Philipp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerOps View Post
Will Rolex stick to their announcement of the DeepSea Challenger being a experimental, in small quantity only, delivered for Expedition members and for Display use only? NO, they will produce and sell us this Monster soon I believe. Specially when you look how precise the evolution of the Challenger DeepSea Rolex shows us in their video. The statement they make towards other watch brands like Panerai, AP, Hublot, Omega, Breilting, Heuer etc etc with this giant super Sub, soon the only one that was on the bottum of the deepest point on earth, is mayor important to Rolex, next to the introduction of the Sky Dweller! Now their new view of marketing is in total balance, the new Rolex DeepSea Challenger will approxiamtly cost € 20-25.000,=. They show us with how much affort they can make the one presented. Then they also can make us easily 500 examples a year of this legendary Rolex!

Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 12:28 AM   #185
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Well, if they do decide to market the watch, even in limited quantities, it won't be just a gargantuan fashion watch, but a genuine tool watch, even if the only thing it ever gets used for is one trip to the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

I hope that that don't sell it because unless you happen to own a bathyscaphe or some super-submersible and want to attach it to the outside of the craft for a fantasy date to the bottom of the ocean or something, it would be nothing more than a curiosity and a novelty.

Regardless of the incredible engineering, it is a single-purpose timepiece and to market it would only cheapen the image of the brand in my view.

If they do market the watch, "Ahnald" will have one in a heartbeat.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 12:37 AM   #186
Puffy
"TRF" Member

great stuff!

i'd love to see the beast of beasts in the flesh!!!!

i can't see why this new Beast wouldn't make it to the mass market!

i hope it does!
Old 22 March 2012, 12:49 AM   #187
s0le1728
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Rolex presents: Making of Deepsea Challenge watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15uNQ...layer_embedded
s0le1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 12:56 AM   #188
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Well, if they do decide to market the watch, even in limited quantities, it won't be just a gargantuan fashion watch, but a genuine tool watch, even if the only thing it ever gets used for is one trip to the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

I hope that that don't sell it because unless you happen to own a bathyscaphe or some super-submersible and want to attach it to the outside of the craft for a fantasy date to the bottom of the ocean or something, it would be nothing more than a curiosity and a novelty.

Regardless of the incredible engineering, it is a single-purpose timepiece and to market it would only cheapen the image of the brand in my view.

If they do market the watch, "Ahnald" will have one in a heartbeat.
you're still missing the point. Anyone with a real interest in horology and Rolex heritage (and enough disposable cash) would love to own one of these.

Take this as another example. Practical? No. Does it fit underneath a double cuff dress shirt? No! Oh well, that's it then, no point in it...even if it is a masterpiece!

http://watchismo.blogspot.co.uk/2009...-le-temps.html
Old 22 March 2012, 01:04 AM   #189
Fifth Ave Rolex Man

Watch: 16520A30
Love my DSSD!
Same movement as the CHALLENGER!
43.6mm is big enough for me!
Good luck to Mr. Cameron!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3362.jpg (60.5 KB, 350 views)

Last edited by Fifth Ave Rolex Man; 22 March 2012 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: wrong size listed....
Fifth Ave Rolex Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 01:04 AM   #190
dcvelo
Banned

Deepsea Challenge???

This thing is huge, 51.4MM///
Check this out, very cool!!!

http://www.rolex.com/en#/world-of-ro...psea-challenge
dcvelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 01:45 AM   #191
mkw
"TRF" Member

Watch: RB GMT II 3186
Quote:
...a genuine tool watch, even if the only thing it ever gets used for is one trip to the bottom of the Mariana Trench.
exposed in the cold Mariana Trench will be no big deal, but wearing it while taking a hot soapy shower ...

mkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 01:53 AM   #192
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw View Post
exposed in the cold Mariana Trench will be no big deal, but wearing it while taking a hot soapy shower ...
That's just asking for trouble!

Old 22 March 2012, 01:59 AM   #193
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamasterGMT View Post
you're still missing the point
I'm not missing the point.

I understand that there are people who would not only like to have one, but would also pay a hefty price to own one.

My point is that Rolex shouldn't market a watch that is little more than an expensive curio, once the original has served its experimental purpose.

To do so would only cheapen the brand.

One may agree or disagree with my point, but that is my position.

Old 22 March 2012, 02:13 AM   #194
desmoboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I admire the challenge in getting a watch to work at 40,000 ft.. its not pretty but that's not the point is it.. it's all about setting a record and marketing the Rolex brand further
desmoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 02:29 AM   #195
burger'n'fries

Watch: 42mm Exp 2
my SD just got a whole lot smaller.

does it come with leather seats and a sunroof?
burger'n'fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 02:46 AM   #196
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Quote:

I understand that there are people who would not only like to have one, but would also pay a hefty price to own one.

My point is that Rolex shouldn't market a watch that is little more than an expensive curio, once the original has served its experimental purpose.

I really am struggling to see how it would cheapen the brand. Marketing a new watch made of plastic with an ETA movement, now THAT would cheapen the brand. Introducing anything cheaply made at a lesser price to increase the customer base will cheapen the brand - like when Mercedes introduced the c-class, b-class, a-class and when Jaguar introduced the Mondeo re-badged x-type.
But, creating a timepeice, a wrist-watch capable of telling the time at the Deepest point of the worlds oceans...cheapens the brand how?
Old 22 March 2012, 02:53 AM   #197
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
I really am struggling to see how it would cheapen the brand. Marketing a new watch made of plastic with an ETA movement, now THAT would cheapen the brand. Introducing anything cheaply made at a lesser price to increase the customer base will cheapen the brand.
But, creating a timepeice, a wrist-watch capable of telling the time at the Deepest point of the worlds oceans...cheapens the brand how?
I agree 100%
Old 22 March 2012, 02:57 AM   #198
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
Quote:

I tend to agree. I go back to my earlier post joking about a watch that could withstand a nuclear blast, would it be an engineering masterpiece, sure... It also would have no real world use, like this watch... & esthetically the DeepSea Challenger would appeal to a few, but overall its very out of tune with the overwhelming bulk of Rolex buyers...
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 02:58 AM   #199
dcvelo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpaul View Post
Thanks for sharing Philipp -would be an AWESOME watch to see in person!!
I don't see any mention on the size of the bracelet?? I hope is a little thicker and wider than the DSSD, if not, it would be a dissapointment!!
dcvelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 03:08 AM   #200
horseco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really am struggling to see how it would cheapen the brand. Marketing a new watch made of plastic with an ETA movement, now THAT would cheapen the brand. Introducing anything cheaply made at a lesser price to increase the customer base will cheapen the brand - like when Mercedes introduced the c-class, b-class, a-class and when Jaguar introduced the Mondeo re-badged x-type.
But, creating a timepiece, a wrist-watch capable of telling the time at the Deepest point of the worlds oceans...cheapens the brand how?
If Range Rover made a dump truck, no doubt it would be the finest in the world, capable of doing things no other dump truck has before... The marque has a long rich tradition of making trucks, but it takes the concept of the brand too far outside its target... Just like I feel the DeepSea Challenger does... Its just to extreme & appeals to too small a demographic IMO...
Old 22 March 2012, 03:16 AM   #201
ManCityFan

for those calling this a "tool watch" - err...even assuming a diver needed a dive watch (which no one has since the advent of dive computers), how/why would he ever need or make use of the 12K meter depth rating??? obviously, he'll never reach anything close to that depth unless he's (a) in a submarine, or (b) a corpse. If he's in a sub, the depth rating is basically moot...
ManCityFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 03:19 AM   #202
horseco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCityFan View Post
for those calling this a "tool watch" - err...even assuming a diver needed a dive watch (which no one has since the advent of dive computers), how/why would he ever need or make use of the 12K meter depth rating??? obviously, he'll never reach anything close to that depth unless he's (a) in a submarine, or (b) a corpse. If he's in a sub, the depth rating is basically moot...
My nuclear blast proof Rolex analogy...
Old 22 March 2012, 03:59 AM   #203
smc

Watch: 16610 - Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCityFan View Post
moot if he's a corpse too
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 04:09 AM   #204
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Who is going to wind the watch on the bottom of the ocean to make sure its within COSC?
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 04:15 AM   #205
mikkemus23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/PAM
I`ll take mine in green
I think it`s great that Rolex still does such things as this
mikkemus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 05:17 AM   #206
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
As I keep saying, Rolex are clearly and fairly using this as a marketing opportunity. It won't cheapen nor detract from the brand but will pay dividends in promoting the design, engineering and pure capability of Oyster watches. Its not complicated to see or understand.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 05:48 AM   #207
Varoom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
I love thick glass....it sticks up like the Panerai Big Egiziano.

I want a thick glass for my DSSD
Varoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 01:21 PM   #208
signcarver
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
My 116610LN has the same movement!
signcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 01:31 PM   #209
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:

I agree that it should be left as an expiremental peice. That watch wouldn't be practical or wearable in reality. I guess FlavaFlav could remove it off the bsnd and wear it instead of a clock or for Bozo the clown when he isn't wearing the rainbow Daytona. LOL Look at how thick it is. Only real use would be in a case. Then again nothing Rolex does would surprise me anymore. They will probably sell it.

If TRF was around 60 years ago do you think people would be complaining back then like now??? I love how this is some great engineering feat, yet it was done over 60 years ago. Yes it's cool and neat but it is what it is. A huge watch with no other purpose but going to the bottom of the ocean.

IF this thing fails Rolex will have to feel stupid since it was successfully done 60 years ago.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 01:42 PM   #210
aandrianto
"TRF" Member

Watch: .......
Quote:
Thank you for the explanation.

I tend to agree, although it is designed to survive 7 miles under water.

What amazes me is that it's not just a bare-bones watch, as one would expect for a one-off, experimental version.

It looks like they're ready to put this thing into display cases at ADs.

I can't even imagine what one of these would cost.
Around 20K Maybe? geez.....
aandrianto is offline   Reply With Quote