The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 November 2023, 03:22 AM   #181
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
If ya know, ya know... that is all

This is my take. I adore my Smurf. Very occasionally have I spotted someone eyeing it (not maliciously). To 99.9% of humans it is a watch. To 0.1% it’s a Rolex. To a fraction of that know it’s full WG. In fact, the biggest reaction I’ve ever gotten has been walking into my AD & him saying “wow a Smurf, I’ve only ever seen a handful of those!” And asked to handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 03:53 AM   #182
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I bet that Richard Mille owners think that Rolex watches come from Walmart.

They're all just watches and generally they all tell the time.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 04:00 AM   #183
thebusinessend
"TRF" Member

a watch like that or really any white gold even platinum you dont get that "oh look" factor you get with yellow and rose (in the correct light). It has its pros and cons. If your trying to show off to NON watch people then everyone either doesnt care anyways or things its SS. but if its watch people we all know blue bezel sub with black or blue face in non bi-metals white gold. So if your in Miami and trying to be flashy...probably not the best watch, get a yellow gold blue sub. If ya just like the watch and honestly most people don't care about watches its for you to enjoy with the added benefit your less likley to be a target of a watch theft vs a loud yellow gold watch.
thebusinessend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 04:01 AM   #184
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Thanks buddy, great input. So just out of curiosity, let's say that newer friend came up to you and said "hey man, great 16610, my uncle has one just like it". Would the inner collector in you feel any tinge of wanting to set the record straight? And could you imagine a scenario where that might have less to do with money and more to do with the piece/your journey itself?
Dude, you dont have to say anything...that's your problem, you think you have to answer, just laugh and walk away, if that person ask again and again and you dont answer, just walk away....you done owe anyone an explanation...

But if that person know watches and is quiet about it...he is in our group...thats who you talk to about it.....just stop worrying about it...
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 04:51 AM   #185
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
If you don't want people thinking your're wearing a stainless steel watch, don't buy white gold. VERY few people are going to know it's white gold. To some that's a big plus. To others....
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 04:57 AM   #186
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Stealth but correcting people?

This topic reminds me of a certain group of academics who snap at you when you don’t refer to them as “Doctor”. Oh it’s so funny I have started laughing out loud instead of chuckling on the inside
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 05:08 AM   #187
Colorado_kid
2024 Pledge Member

I made this mistake a few weeks ago.

An athlete we sponsor and work with for marketing was wearing an Omega Aqua Terra.

But not just any AT. It was the titanium Ultra Light. A 50k something watch.

I noticed what I thought was a normal Aqua Terra and asked if he competes with it on, which he said he does and I said, “oh that’s cool, competing with a five thousand dollar watch”.

Oops.

He just looked at me sideways but didn’t say much. Later in the evening we started talking about other Omegas and he let me try on his. Instantly, I felt how light it was. And in a flash I realized how dumb I was! lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colorado_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 05:08 AM   #188
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Isn't the entire point of stealth wealth to ensure ambiguity? You can't have both.

Post your watch here if you want the validation, weekly if you need to.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 05:11 AM   #189
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I’m pretty certain no one has noticed my Yachtmaster is a Rolex, especially as it’s the woman’s size. I wear it for myself. As it is, my YM is already much more expensive than most people’s watches are. I don’t think I’d correct someone regarding a PM watch. It’s a lot of money to be wearing on the wrist.

I once mistook a guy’s WG Daytona for SS. He did correct me, but that’s because it was obvious from the context that I’m a WIS.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote