The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 November 2021, 06:32 AM   #2191
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Looks great with the cyclop Lee !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks, Francisco!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 02:46 AM   #2192
clarksky
"TRF" Member

What is the best way to tell if a Sub has been modified? I'm looking to buy a "Smurf" (black dial/blue bezel) color combination Submariner online that the seller claims to be steel. I don't believe this was ever produced, and so I'm suspicious. thoughts?
clarksky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 04:28 PM   #2193
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Movies
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksky View Post
What is the best way to tell if a Sub has been modified? I'm looking to buy a "Smurf" (black dial/blue bezel) color combination Submariner online that the seller claims to be steel. I don't believe this was ever produced, and so I'm suspicious. thoughts?
The blue bezel / black dial Submariner (ref. 126610) was released last year.

-Warren Buffet
Sweramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 04:33 PM   #2194
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweramic View Post
The blue bezel / black dial Submariner (ref. 126610) was released last year.
Not correct.

The 126610ln is stainless steel with a black dial black bezel.

The 126619 is white gold with a black dial and blue bezel.

Rolex has never made a stainless steel submariner with a blue dial or blue bezel.
Old 3 December 2021, 07:37 PM   #2195
Crunchie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
This one was altered by the dealer before I picked it up back in 2010.

The dial was swapped to give the combination my wife wanted, smooth bezel, oyster bracelet, blue dial (the original was white, I think).

They also removed the cyclops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8F412808-1008-4167-A738-45272C5FFCF1.jpeg (85.2 KB, 1823 views)
Crunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 04:24 PM   #2196
0-60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_chak View Post

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
Beautiful! Exactly what i would do too.
0-60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 10:32 AM   #2197
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
Modified rolex photos please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hulk bezel on a 116610LN, they way it should have always been. Not a fan of the green dial.

nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 10:38 AM   #2198
jets
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
Hulk bezel on a 116610LN, they way it should have always been. Not a fan of the green dial.

Imposter!!! JK looks nice
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 03:54 PM   #2199
0-60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post

Looks great
0-60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2022, 10:49 AM   #2200
wgdaytona
2024 Pledge Member

Shark Mod --Don't hate me

Contemplating the "shark" modification to a sub. Would like the SS chamfered bezel parts and the actual ceramic bezel parts to be real Rolex if possible so it all feels "correct." I've seen the "shark" conversion and really like it. Of course, I cannot justify the new WG sub. So, who is doing this kind of mod and can the parts be obtained? NOT meant to fool anyone or pass off as real, I just love the colors. Thanks.
wgdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 04:22 AM   #2201
koronet-kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: deep-sea Comex
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyW View Post
Love it much more cyclops-less!

Perfect dimensions and features/upgrades I used to dream about back when I bought my first "nice" watch, a 5 digit SD back in 2003!

Back then I thought...if they made it a little larger...42 mm, red script, thicker/more solid clasp with no drilled holes, matte dial, it would be perfect. They did it, but added a cyclops too so close, but so glaringly far from my version of perfect as I am not a fan of the cyclops on the sport models (DD & Skydweller, it works).

Anyway, happy camper!
How was this achieved new crystal or removal of the cyclops?
koronet-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 08:42 AM   #2202
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Still loving this thread!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2022, 08:52 AM   #2203
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
Still loving this thread!
Me too. There's some seriously cool stuff in there.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2022, 11:25 PM   #2204
MisterG12
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MisterG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2022, 12:12 AM   #2205
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterG12 View Post
That's a very nice looking GMT. I love the color of the leather strap matching the gold in the bezel and insert. It's a dressy SS tool watch.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 02:43 AM   #2206
Stan Cooper

EDIT- Please forgive the first sentence (run-on). I tried to edit it, but then it made even less sense.

Nearly two years ago, I posted (post 2096 in this thread) photos and a description of modifying an aftermarket faux ceramic aluminum bezel insert to fit the bezel of my 16710 GMT II by shaving a fraction of a millimeter off of the 38.0mm outside diameter of the aftermarket insert using a fixture I had made by a local machine shop for $35 to keep the insert centered and secure while using the fixture inserted into the chuck of a Dremel tool, and filing the insert to carefully reduce the O.D. to fit the insert recess diameter of the steel Rolex bezel.

To get the fit just right so the insert fit the bezel recess snugly so it snapped into place with a friction fit, I checked the diameter frequently with a digital caliper during the filing. While this worked well for the aluminum aftermarket inserts, I made several (very expensive) attempts to use the same technique on true ceramic aftermarket inserts. On the first attempt, the insert shattered when I tried to press it into the bezel recess. It was a disaster; I knew ceramic is very brittle (poor ductility) and I tried to be careful, but failed miserably in this first attempt:

Not to be dissuaded, I tried two more times using an industrial diamond coated file. Both times, the ceramic inserts chipped along the diameter as I was filing.

For my fourth try, I ordered a very fine grit diamond file. I decided if this didn't work, I'd abandon the project and be happy with my anodized aluminum Rolex inserts and the faux ceramic aluminum insert I'd been using for two years.

The new fine grit file worked! No shattering or chipping, and the filed surface was smooth and shiny. As I was filing, I noticed the filings were a very fine powder compared to my previous efforts. I had finally nailed down the process.

EUREKA!

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph

- Stan
Old 14 October 2022, 03:13 AM   #2207
0-60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
EDIT- Please forgive the first sentence (run-on). I tried to edit it, but then it made even less sense.

Nearly two years ago, I posted (post 2096 in this thread) photos and a description of modifying an aftermarket faux ceramic aluminum bezel insert to fit the bezel of my 16710 GMT II by shaving a fraction of a millimeter off of the 38.0mm outside diameter of the aftermarket insert using a fixture I had made by a local machine shop for $35 to keep the insert centered and secure while using the fixture inserted into the chuck of a Dremel tool, and filing the insert to carefully reduce the O.D. to fit the insert recess diameter of the steel Rolex bezel.

To get the fit just right so the insert fit the bezel recess snugly so it snapped into place with a friction fit, I checked the diameter frequently with a digital caliper during the filing. While this worked well for the aluminum aftermarket inserts, I made several (very expensive) attempts to use the same technique on true ceramic aftermarket inserts. On the first attempt, the insert shattered when I tried to press it into the bezel recess. It was a disaster; I knew ceramic is very brittle (poor ductility) and I tried to be careful, but failed miserably in this first attempt:

Not to be dissuaded, I tried two more times using an industrial diamond coated file. Both times, the ceramic inserts chipped along the diameter as I was filing.

For my fourth try, I ordered a very fine grit diamond file. I decided if this didn't work, I'd abandon the project and be happy with my anodized aluminum Rolex inserts and the faux ceramic aluminum insert I'd been using for two years.

The new fine grit file worked! No shattering or chipping, and the filed surface was smooth and shiny. As I was filing, I noticed the filings were a very fine powder compared to my previous efforts. I had finally nailed down the process.

EUREKA!

Nice one

Old 27 December 2022, 03:29 AM   #2208
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post

EUREKA!

Very nice.
Old 27 December 2022, 04:19 AM   #2209
Essray
"TRF" Member

I’ve wanted to do something like this to my 5 digit sub. But I wanted to source an appropriate sized 12 hour bezel. I have no need for a divers bezel. But if I could get a 12 hour….

Essray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 12:35 PM   #2210
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Bleu on a Lunette Bleu.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020.09.26 IMG_5366.jpg (221.5 KB, 921 views)
Filipão is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2022, 11:26 AM   #2211
HerbertPhillips
"TRF" Member

Do you still have this 1675/8 gmt?
HerbertPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 11:27 AM   #2212
RustyW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Looks great. Who did you use to remove the cyclops?

I had LA WatchWorks swap the crystal for me. I still have the original crystal to swap back to original specs if needed.

I have read that removing the cyclops from the SD 43 is not possible. The cyclops is affixed some new way with an indent in the crystal where it is seated. This was the workaround that was decided on and I am very happy with it.
RustyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:23 PM   #2213
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
My Daytona 16523 Zenith on a Jublee bracelet...

IMG_0375 2.jpg
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 07:11 PM   #2214
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyW View Post
I had LA WatchWorks swap the crystal for me. I still have the original crystal to swap back to original specs if needed.

I have read that removing the cyclops from the SD 43 is not possible. The cyclops is affixed some new way with an indent in the crystal where it is seated. This was the workaround that was decided on and I am very happy with it.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 08:01 PM   #2215
ChronoSloth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumare View Post
My Daytona 16523 Zenith on a Jublee bracelet...

Attachment 1343406

Thank you for posting that two-combo, been thinking about it for several months but couldn’t find photos from anyone who had done it. Think it would fit in with my collection?

————————————————————————————-
ChronoSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 09:19 PM   #2216
GrantD
"TRF" Member

Deleted
GrantD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 01:06 AM   #2217
doyall
2024 Pledge Member

After perusing only part of this thread and thinking maybe I could mod my watch more to the needs of my current situation while waiting on the appropriate "OEM" model to become available, I got to wondering ... is there a parts cross-reference/compatibility chart that shows what non-mechanical part works on what different watch (e.g., "X" dial fits "Y" case, etc.)? I would certainly not want to go willy-nilly buying parts just to find they do not work. As the possible combinations seem endless, I doubt such a thing could realistically be done but I ask anyway and am prepared to be flamed for doing so.
doyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 12:12 AM   #2218
Stan Cooper

P-serial 2001 Ref. 16710 with aftermarket VTNR ceramic bezel insert. This rounds out my bezel insert collection.

- Stan
Old 28 January 2023, 11:24 PM   #2219
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Rolex blasphemy I guess ………………. purist will lose their minds, a few will understand. Old school western style scroll hammer/chisel and hand push craftsmanship. It’s been a multi year decision that all started by a watch posted in this thread …………………………. coming very soon !

Sample :

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/agaVwdMAd94

FLAME AWAY ! lol
Old 28 January 2023, 11:39 PM   #2220
GrantD
"TRF" Member

Modified rolex photos please!

114060 and 116610LN with a Hulk bezel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GrantD is offline   Reply With Quote