The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 6 January 2012, 11:41 AM   #211
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
You are the man! Fantastic. Your Sub looks real nice after Rikki's polishing job by the way.
Old 6 January 2012, 12:54 PM   #212
NorthernPike
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, 1949 Everest
Good job. When I unscrew my crown occasionally to set the time I clean the gunk from around the threads and O ring, and apply a very slight film of silicone grease to the area.
My Sub was running plus 6 from new. After about a year and a half I took it to RSC Toronto and they returned it a week later running plus 1 or a little better.
Now its back to plus 6 again.
I guess that's where its happy. Its utterly consistent so I know it can do better.
Oh well.
NorthernPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2012, 04:36 PM   #213
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNinja View Post
The results:

It was still tough to unscrew the crown but I used a cloth and it unscrewed and the tube stayed where it should be. The gasket on the thread side went into the case as it should and is not visible outside. The tube gasket for the crown is visible and looks fine. It unscrews and screws just fine and sets equally well.

I'll retest it for water resistance before I swim with it but I am thinking it's fine. While I think that.. I won't assume.

So there you have it, Rikki's suggestion worked well and that closes another adventure.

PS: I let the loctite cure for 5 hours before I attempted to turn it.
Is there anything more satisfying than being able to repair your watch yourself?

In a word,no!
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2012, 07:27 AM   #214
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610,116233,OsQz
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPike View Post
Good job. When I unscrew my crown occasionally to set the time I clean the gunk from around the threads and O ring, and apply a very slight film of silicone grease to the area.
My Sub was running plus 6 from new. After about a year and a half I took it to RSC Toronto and they returned it a week later running plus 1 or a little better.
Now its back to plus 6 again.
I guess that's where its happy. Its utterly consistent so I know it can do better.
Oh well.
Very interesting, one of the reasons I like this stuff is the variables at play. My watch has not gained a single second since Rikki regulated it/repaired the hair spring. It loses time to balance off the gain over the day when the crown is left up overnight.

I wonder what your watch would look like on a timing computer. Mine does say +4-6 dial up and +1 crown up. Wearing habits are obviously far more important which we cannot really measure. I throw everything off wearing the watch on the right hand even though I am mainly right handed haha...
LordNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2012, 07:34 AM   #215
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Check out this movement my friend Jody gave me to play with. It sports a solid 10K gold center wheel. Neat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3587.jpg (68.1 KB, 675 views)
Old 7 January 2012, 08:30 AM   #216
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Fantastic thread. Great work.
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2012, 04:15 PM   #217
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Thanks! I have to clean the dial of that sub but the polishing job is so great I've left it alone haha. I will be casing a few movements next. I am waiting parts for a few different watches so in the meantime shopping for more watches.
Old 7 January 2012, 04:21 PM   #218
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Check out this movement my friend Jody gave me to play with. It sports a solid 10K gold center wheel. Neat.
Pink gold.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2012, 04:48 PM   #219
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Pink it is. I am going to spend a few minutes and read up on the use of gold as wheels like that. It seems sorta backwards at first but then the meshing of the wheels makes some sense of it.
Old 8 January 2012, 06:31 PM   #220
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Question! I am chasing down a few rogue dust particles on my dial and my rodico leaves smudges sometimes, regardless of how many different techniques I try.

I have rodico smudges under my crystal now and I've decided to finally buy an ultrasonic cleaner and distilled water.

After cleaning, say the crystal, in such a cleaner with such water will it dry and leave spots? I am weary of using anything to absorb the water as even nicer microfiber cloths leave behind particles.

What do you guys do when you need to remove something off of the crystal/dial? It seems like when a watch is opened the dust spirits invite all their friends and what was one becomes 3.. then you seal the watch and notice one sitting on a watch hand O_o hah.

As it stands the dial is clean but the underside of the crystal has some annoying smudges. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 8 January 2012, 10:01 PM   #221
RPMcKenna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Question! I am chasing down a few rogue dust particles on my dial and my rodico leaves smudges sometimes, regardless of how many different techniques I try.

I have rodico smudges under my crystal now and I've decided to finally buy an ultrasonic cleaner and distilled water.

After cleaning, say the crystal, in such a cleaner with such water will it dry and leave spots? I am weary of using anything to absorb the water as even nicer microfiber cloths leave behind particles.

What do you guys do when you need to remove something off of the crystal/dial? It seems like when a watch is opened the dust spirits invite all their friends and what was one becomes 3.. then you seal the watch and notice one sitting on a watch hand O_o hah.

As it stands the dial is clean but the underside of the crystal has some annoying smudges. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Currently I have a couple projects on the go as well and have been reading your thread since a few days back. Good stuff so far.

Personally had a very rough condition crystal that I managed to re-work into near perfect condition yesterday by polishing with Displex and a microfiber cloth and yes it did leave microfiber particles on the crystal BUT with the crystal facing right side up I took a q-tip to the underside/inside in quick and gentle circular motion and was able to remove all of the fibers/dust.

Hope this helps as it worked like a charm for me.

RPMcKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 05:31 AM   #222
dom_
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Personally I ultrasonic then rinse it thoroughly in water and put it on the dryer (or use a hair dryer) then using a compressed air can give it a blast all around to clear any dust particles out.
dom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 02:20 PM   #223
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Thanks to Waltham recasing this fantastic movement was pretty easy. The watch is keeping time after a regulating and I am very impressed with the quality and detail here.

I moved the dial and hands over from another Waltham and I had to deal with loose hands! So I used my Seitz and press the center holes with a hole closer & anvil. Worked like a charm.

I am happy to put the movement back to work! Jody gave me another lower grade movement wherein the balance wheel moves back and forth.. yet the pallet fork is idle. Having a sense of touch about this things now I checked the balance wheel side shake and end shake, seemed solid!

Again, a missing roller jewel! Hah. I will replace it for practice and later case the lesser movement as well.

In other news I got a part in for a members Seiko and I'll be working on his watch again tomorrow :) He donated a beater so I said I'd take a peek at his lesser beater for free.

Still at it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3597.jpg (52.3 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3598.jpg (86.3 KB, 611 views)
Old 11 January 2012, 02:30 PM   #224
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Also guys I have to show you what a balance spring does in a demagnetizer hahaha.... coming soon! I'll post a video.
Old 11 January 2012, 11:28 PM   #225
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
So when is the cleaning machine coming. I think I still have a couple of L&R mastermatics or variomatics that I could resurrect. Let me know keep um coming Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2012, 04:45 PM   #226
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
So when is the cleaning machine coming. I think I still have a couple of L&R mastermatics or variomatics that I could resurrect. Let me know keep um coming Rikki
The one my dad had in the fifties looked like a Mason jar that you`d lower a little basket into and then it got spun around in this weird smelling liquid.
Old 12 January 2012, 05:27 PM   #227
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I saw one for sale in the local antique shop a few months ago.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2012, 10:49 PM   #228
Rikki
TechXpert

Yeah it'a a 3 jar system 1 clean 2 rinse and a dryer you manually move from jar to jar after spinoff. It was used for many years before the automatic units came out. Rikki
Old 12 January 2012, 10:49 PM   #229
Rikki
TechXpert

Yeah it'a a 3 jar system 1 clean 2 rinse and a dryer you manually move from jar to jar after spinoff. It was used for many years before the automatic units came out. Rikki
Old 12 January 2012, 10:50 PM   #230
Rikki
TechXpert

Old 12 January 2012, 10:56 PM   #231
Rikki
TechXpert

Someone please delete 2 of the last 3 posts please something went wrong with the posting clicker thanx Rikki
Old 14 January 2012, 06:33 AM   #232
dom_
"TRF" Member

The 3 Jar jobby is really good and easily more than enough for a hobby watch repairer. The watch maker at work still uses one every now and then.
dom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2012, 07:38 AM   #233
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
`and apparently one post per jar.
Old 14 January 2012, 08:47 AM   #234
Rikki
TechXpert

I got blistas on me finga's
Old 14 January 2012, 09:05 AM   #235
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I got blistas on me finga's
I remember that,if only I could remember the band?

I`m gonna be awake all night trying to remember now.

Oh I just remembered, it was Beatles White Album,I think,now I just have to see if I can remember what song.

Helter Skelter maybe,I`ll google and see.

Yup Helter Skelter it is.I can`t believe it took me five minutes to remember all of that!
Old 14 January 2012, 06:41 PM   #236
Kitty Rivershack

This is the best thread ever. Just read through the whole thing. What a journey!

I sent a watch in to Rikki to take a look at (I keep checking the USPS tracking and it's taking forever to get there) and now I am especially jazzed to see my watch will be in the hands of someone who not only deeply, deeply knows his stuff -- but also is a teacher.
Kitty Rivershack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 03:16 AM   #237
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Rivershack View Post
This is the best thread ever. Just read through the whole thing. What a journey!

I sent a watch in to Rikki to take a look at (I keep checking the USPS tracking and it's taking forever to get there) and now I am especially jazzed to see my watch will be in the hands of someone who not only deeply, deeply knows his stuff -- but also is a teacher.
This is exactly what this thread is all about! Glad you are getting utility and entertainment out of it :)

Rikki is fantastic, he will take good care of you. I had a client ask me if I had a new watch on after his polishing job. Lol.

The watch has been keeping perfect time since I got it back!

I will be installing a hairspring onto a balance stud tonight, I'll be sure to post pictures. I am worried I will slip and damage it but I'll take it easy on the coffee and take my time. Once that is done I will need to regulate the beast.

The watch is a seiko with a japanese movement I believe. Pictures to follow.

Also: I am interested in these cleaning machines, you guys want to laugh? I got distilled water all ready to remove the smudges on the inside of my crystal... then tried a brand new micro fiber cloth.. boom done. Now I have a gallon of distilled water hanging around the office.

Who knows, I'll use it with the ultra sonic perhaps? I have yet to buy a cleaner I am very interested in what you were talking about Rikki. I'll have to read up on them. Work has been so busy dealing with computer systems I have not spent a solid few hours on watches in at least a week :( Tonight I'll have a quiet night of watch making/work.
Old 8 February 2012, 02:45 PM   #238
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Hmmm.. Almost done with a slight tuneup then I have something special to show you guys! :D
Old 8 February 2012, 03:18 PM   #239
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmmm.. Almost done with a slight tuneup then I have something special to show you guys! :D
I can`t wait !
Old 8 February 2012, 11:36 PM   #240
Rikki
TechXpert

He's Baaaaack