The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2022, 01:15 AM   #211
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

I understand the frustration in not getting what you specifically asked for. They admitted that they goofed. But also maintain some perspective. The whole “no polish or it’s ruined” is a bunch of nonsense in my book. I get that with items of historic significance. If somebody went to refinish one of my old guitars of specific provenance they would indeed be ruined from a financial standpoint.
A 2005 Rolex? Not so much. First, a 15 year old watch shouldn’t really have much of a “patina” in my book. I personally wouldn’t pay more for a banged up watch of recent decades. I’d only buy one that was polished and in line new condition, ideally done by Rolex.
So if you really hate yours now, take the 30% discount or whatever you can get and sell it at a premium and then go and buy either a new one (may e Rolex or the AD will work with you there) or any banged up (“unpolished”) specimen that is out there. Maybe somebody is happy to trade.
I personally would have it all polished and enjoy it as a like-new watch. Almost nobody can tell the difference.
My Sea Dweller will soon be going to Dallas RSC and I want it polished and like new. I don’t get the point otherwise.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 01:17 AM   #212
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

This thread blows my mind. If this was a 1968 1675 unpolished and original owner I'd be more inclined to understand. Its a modern watch. Get it polished to match - maybe new bezel and move on. My guess is a comped service is possible. Mistakes happen - this could have been way worse. If you are this upset about the value of a watch you love so much - would you even sell it? My guess is no. Kindness goes a long way in life.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 01:56 AM   #213
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
This thread blows my mind. If this was a 1968 1675 unpolished and original owner I'd be more inclined to understand. Its a modern watch. Get it polished to match - maybe new bezel and move on. My guess is a comped service is possible. Mistakes happen - this could have been way worse. If you are this upset about the value of a watch you love so much - would you even sell it? My guess is no. Kindness goes a long way in life.

This is what I was thinking. If the value even decreased on a 2005 watch? If I’m buying a watch and I see one freshly polished and one scratched to hell, I know which one I am picking. Same for 90 percent of the world.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 01:58 AM   #214
majidessa
"TRF" Member

OP I feel your pain but you still have a fantastic watch that you can enjoy and appericate for many years to come, if the watch prior to polishing was in good cosmetic condition then I highly doubt that it will be subjected to extreme polishing.

If I were in you shoes I would ask them to send me high res pictures of the case, if they did a good job i would tell them to refinish the bracelet as well and try to negotiate a free service.

I understand that having unpolished watch keeps it authentic and original however, your watch is not that rare or hard to find and I highly doubt it will be any time soon, so stop worrying about the monetary loss as you may end up liking the watch more after the polish!
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 02:28 AM   #215
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
This is what I was thinking. If the value even decreased on a 2005 watch? If I’m buying a watch and I see one freshly polished and one scratched to hell, I know which one I am picking. Same for 90 percent of the world.
Today’s 2005 watches are tomorrow’s vintage.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 02:48 AM   #216
spacebjorn
"TRF" Member

Is this a joke? 2005 polished case + 30% discount? They did you a favor.

The only meaningful / valuable patina is the fading or color change of dial and bezel. 05 Daytona will not give you either of that. Scratches accrued on the case IS NOT Patina lol.... it's just damage from wear.

If anything RSC UN-damaged your watch.
spacebjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 02:48 AM   #217
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
TTIWWOP (we need an emoji for this)

8 pages later and 0 pictures...this could literally be no big deal, or a really big deal.

Even using the word "damaged" in the thread title is kind of misleading with no evidence.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 12:33 AM   #218
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I find it interesting that members here are telling the OP how he should feel about his watch being polished when he specifically asked RSC not to. Obviously if he made that specific request, then it matters to him and he didn't want it done.

I haven't read through all the pages here, but would be interested to hear from the OP if there is an update. I'd be pissed as well IF I asked them not to do it. And depending on how much metal was removed in the polish job, I'd be asking for compensation/remedy from RSC beyond just a discount on the service. 15 years from now...is a polished Rolex worth less than an unpolished Rolex...absolutely. Rolex knows that and they have diminished the value without a doubt.

OP - be cordial, but firm in the remedy you want.

I guess worse case scenario is you could sell the watch and then purchase another one and probably come out just about even.

Good luck
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 12:45 AM   #219
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I am not a member of the never polish crowd, just don’t get it. And maybe I’m naive but I don’t even remember it being a thing until maybe the last decade or so here.
I had two 116520’s, a white dial from 2001-2004, a black dial from 2004-2008. I sold both of them private sale and before listing had both touched up by a local watchmaker. Buyers then were seeking a watch that looked like new, I got a premium for both.
As to OP’s situation I’m in the camp for also polishing the bracelet and asking for a free service which I think is reasonable. No way you’re getting cash or a new watch.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 01:11 AM   #220
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD36
Enjoy your brand new Daytona all over again. They didn't devalue your watch. Sentimental value and monetary value are not the same. Making unreasonable demands is not going to make anyone rush to your aid either. If you have any business sense at all, you'll gather yourself and try to change the tone of this whole scenario.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 02:38 PM   #221
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
You know your old school when you still have an AOL email… and use it as your screen name
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 08:54 PM   #222
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I am not a member of the never polish crowd, just don’t get it. And maybe I’m naive but I don’t even remember it being a thing until maybe the last decade or so here.
I had two 116520’s, a white dial from 2001-2004, a black dial from 2004-2008. I sold both of them private sale and before listing had both touched up by a local watchmaker. Buyers then were seeking a watch that looked like new, I got a premium for both.
As to OP’s situation I’m in the camp for also polishing the bracelet and asking for a free service which I think is reasonable. No way you’re getting cash or a new watch.
I had read once that it started among collectors in Japan (not necessarily of watches) and spread like a virus over internet collector forums/social media. I don't understand it either. I always found it very appealing that every 5-10 years you could send your watch to RSC, have it completely broken down and serviced/repaired/refinished and returned to you as new with a 2 year warranty.

Back in 2017 I was able to purchase a 1968 vintage Datejust for an extremely good price because it had a service pie pan dial and a circa 2005 service bracelet. All Rolex parts, all Rolex installed. I subsequently had it serviced in 2018 at RSC Dallas and they replaced the crown so it would pass a pressure test (14k to 18k). I view that as an upgrade, and the watch still keeps perfect time 4 years later and I can wear it daily. How many 54 year old consumer products can you say that about? Not many.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 09:10 PM   #223
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
I find it interesting that members here are telling the OP how he should feel about his watch being polished when he specifically asked RSC not to. Obviously if he made that specific request, then it matters to him and he didn't want it done.

I haven't read through all the pages here, but would be interested to hear from the OP if there is an update. I'd be pissed as well IF I asked them not to do it. And depending on how much metal was removed in the polish job, I'd be asking for compensation/remedy from RSC beyond just a discount on the service. 15 years from now...is a polished Rolex worth less than an unpolished Rolex...absolutely. Rolex knows that and they have diminished the value without a doubt.

OP - be cordial, but firm in the remedy you want.

I guess worse case scenario is you could sell the watch and then purchase another one and probably come out just about even.

Good luck

Very few people are saying OP doesn’t have a right to be upset. His remedy is just not reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 09:49 PM   #224
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Have to agree the anti polish stuff now becoming more ridicules each day truth be told Rolex cases are built to be polished at normal routine service. Picture below my own very late 1990s early 2000 16600 SD,this watch was used and sometimes abused as a real working tool with well over 600 hours logged underwater. And has been serviced and polished now by 4 RSC world wide,22 years old still ticking and looking good today. And to say that any watches is damaged by RSC because they polished it is gross exaggeration.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 10:11 PM   #225
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree the anti polish stuff now becoming more ridicules each day truth be told Rolex cases are built to be polished at normal routine service. Picture below my own very late 1990s early 2000 16600 SD,this watch was used and sometimes abused as a real working tool with well over 600 hours logged underwater. And has been serviced and polished now by 4 RSC world wide,22 years old still ticking and looking good today. And to say that any watches is damaged by RSC because they polished it is gross exaggeration.

Are you kidding?!?! They polished the date magnifyer right off that thing

dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 10:41 PM   #226
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn’t buy a whipped pre owned Rolex that wasn’t professionally maintained. Polishing is routine maintenance.
Like trading in your S class after 4 years that has never been washed or waxed and demanding top dollar because you believe the filth “patina” has a higher resale value.
Old 21 October 2022, 12:31 AM   #227
seosub
"TRF" Member

Lol 8 pages and still going strong.. my $0.02:

Relative to real problems in life this is small, no arguing there. From a perspective of 'this is a sentimental product' - I'd be pissed too. I enter into a specific agreement with specific instructions and hold up my end of the transaction by paying what most of the world would see as a crazy amount to service a watch. What I get in return is something that goes against what I specifically instructed because of someones negligence. Worst is the assumption that its not a big deal especially since the problem is irreversible and my product cannot be brought back to original state - the way I liked it.

The value loss of the watch being altered from the way I want is relative - to assume you can take my stuff, eff it up in my eyes and say sorry but its just a watch that looks better now anyway is inconsiderate. This regardless of your opinion on polishing or the magnitude of the issue. I'd actually be most irked by the suggestion that the 'compensation' is a discount off of the same service you botched..

I would demand more as well because its not your value of the issue that is relevant here, it's mine. Give me a 2005 NOS Daytona!!! haha :)
seosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 12:37 AM   #228
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I had the opposite issue. I requested RSC polish my Tudor and they returned it unpolished.

But either way, they aren't giving you a new watch. Just have them polish the bracelet and be done with it. I don't really get why people don't want watches polished, but it's their watch their choice. I don't think in the end it makes a huge difference in value, but I never concern myself with future value so I'd rather just have it looking good.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 12:48 AM   #229
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I'm going to cut to the chase; take the discounted service, have the bracelet polished to match. Your 2005 Daytona isn't going to lose significant value for a professional polish, performed by Rolex, as part of routine maintenance. You're deluding yourself otherwise. I get Rolex didn't do what you wanted. They are offering a solution, I'd take it.

You're not going to get anywhere with Rolex threatening litigation over something so ridiculous. You're going to lose money on lawyer fees and get none of the demands you believe you are entitled to. Rolex is letting you cool down. I'd do the same thing. Move on.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 07:44 AM   #230
[email protected]
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1655
After several calls and finally getting thru to a manager I am
getting the service comped by the RSC. They started by offering a 30% discount that escalated into a full-service discount but they still were trying to charge me for a new
crown and new hands. The manager finally acquiesced and agreed to comp the full service including the crown and hands. I am getting the bracelet polished to match the watch. The AD was not very helpful so I think it’s important to advocate for yourself. The comp service was solely negotiated by me and yes I did kill them with kindness. I appreciate everyone’s help and it’s time to move forward and enjoy the watch once I receive it. One gasket is backordered so I still have 6 to 8 weeks before the watch will be returned to me.
jw911c2@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 09:16 AM   #231
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
getting the service comped by the RSC. They started by offering a 30% discount that escalated into a full-service discount but they still were trying to charge me for a new
crown and new hands. The manager finally acquiesced and agreed to comp the full service including the crown and hands. I am getting the bracelet polished to match the watch. The AD was not very helpful so I think it’s important to advocate for yourself. The comp service was solely negotiated by me and yes I did kill them with kindness. I appreciate everyone’s help and it’s time to move forward and enjoy the watch once I receive it. One gasket is backordered so I still have 6 to 8 weeks before the watch will be returned to me.
Well done. Glad it was sorted out and with kindness. Thank you for not leaving us hanging on the outcome.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 09:18 AM   #232
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

Great looking watch!!
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 10:00 AM   #233
AlabamaLawyer1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Letter where RSC admits the mistake, you say?

DM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 October 2022, 10:05 AM   #234
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sucks that they polished it even though you asked them not to but this is the best possible outcome for you given the situation.
And thanks for the update!
Old 21 October 2022, 11:08 AM   #235
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Old 21 October 2022, 11:31 AM   #236
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post

Agreed. I just had my 16600, 16570, and 16233 serviced in Aug. 16600 and 16570 were bought used (and never polished before as far as I know) and 16233 was bought new 10+ yrs ago.
I never had anything serviced by RSC before and I asked for no polish...but the service person recommended it and I am glad I took her advice because all 3 watches came back looking like new.

However, if I was the OP, I would be pissed as well because they performed a service that was specifically not asked for (though saying it was "damaged" is a bit of a hyperbole). But it looks like he was able to get the service completely comp'ed which is more that what was warranted (in my opinion).
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 11:36 AM   #237
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Good on ya, OP! Glad you got it sorted. They did the right thing and that result was what I would have expected. Enjoy your watch (in 8 weeks)

Just another WIS who loves to trade.
IG @bladeandwatch1
Old 21 October 2022, 11:40 AM   #238
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
Icon14

Quote:
Reasonable outcome; good you negotiated and got a favorable result. Would appreciate to see pics one it's in. Thanks.
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 02:10 PM   #239
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
1.) Was the AD Bromberg & Company?

2.) Why did the watch need a new crown and hands?
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 05:04 PM   #240
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
Did you read your own post.

I’m sure the OP would have like to have his unpolished watch 50 years from now but Rolex has made this impossible.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote