The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 March 2022, 01:15 AM   #2491
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossma View Post
This didn't quite happen overnight. This time last year, the blue 4500 wait had already built up to almost a year, which is why they closed the official deposit list. I was originally told there was a chance it would open again once they fulfilled more orders, but demand grew and grew to the point that all colors were over a year wait and the lists for everything closed. Don't forgot, it is estimated that VC only makes a few hundred max of each dial color per year, globally. That is absolutely nothing... and significantly less than AP makes of the Royal Oak.

There are a lot more shocking things to me - like the fact that "mass" produced Rolex subs are going for >50%+ over and have become nearly unobtainable.
Agreed it wasn't overnight, but it was still pretty darn fast. The Overseas got swept up in the pandemic-related hysteria over all luxury items, including high-end watches. It has more to do with that than the beauty of the watch itself, IMHO.

The blue Overseas is the same watch, of course, that you could still easily get for a discount as recently as summer 2020 (during the pandemic), and that gray-market dealers were offering to buy for only $17K-$18K.

And totally agree on the pricing of Subs. Nice watch, but man, it's way overpriced on the secondary market for what it is, and the same could be said for the Overseas and tons of other watches.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2022, 03:54 AM   #2492
Jimbo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobHK View Post
Not very nice perhaps, but your comment was pretty darn snarky as well. Coming into the VC thread and talking about poor mans watch. The retail price is basically in-line of this and the AP, what's so poor man about it?
Are you being serious?
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2022, 04:19 AM   #2493
phiberoptiks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Are you being serious?
That was actually my first thought as well, the "poor-man's" comment would not be received well.
phiberoptiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2022, 04:33 AM   #2494
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Are you being serious?

It was a ridiculous comment. Don't double down on it.
Old 12 March 2022, 06:05 AM   #2495
phiberoptiks
"TRF" Member

To help you understand, you basically insulted every overseas owner here, on an overseas forum, by claiming we all bought "second-rate" watches just because we couldn't get Nautili or Royal Oaks. Most of us here believe the overseas is way better than those two options. We're not all here as gray dealers making speculative investment purchases.
phiberoptiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2022, 01:40 PM   #2496
JF100
"TRF" Member

amen.
JF100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2022, 09:47 PM   #2497
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t own one but it’s the best looking of the 3 being mentioned. My personal fav is reverse panda chronograph.
The nautilus has always looked to me like an aquanaut that has been run over!
Royal Oak good looking as well but the chronograph is chunky.
Love the VC folks. One day I will take the plunge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 11:04 AM   #2498
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Cool thing about owning a VC is you generally run incognito without having to look over your shoulder much. Went to the local JLC boutique to checkout a tribute reverso when the service advisor goes, love your Baume and Mercier.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2022, 11:23 AM   #2499
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC 4000V
Old 13 March 2022, 11:42 AM   #2500
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbyjae View Post
Cool thing about owning a VC is you generally run incognito without having to look over your shoulder much. Went to the local JLC boutique to checkout a tribute reverso when the service advisor goes, love your Baume and Mercier.
Curious here...if someone in the watch industry easily mistakes it for another brand, what leads you to believe that someone with nefarious intentions won't do the same?
Old 13 March 2022, 02:01 PM   #2501
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudchaser View Post
Curious here...if someone in the watch industry easily mistakes it for another brand, what leads you to believe that someone with nefarious intentions won't do the same?
Interesting question but perhaps the point is that the VCO doesn't resemble many of the more mainstream watches that could be mistaken for another that may get wanted or unwanted attention.
Old 13 March 2022, 02:30 PM   #2502
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
Interesting question but perhaps the point is that the VCO doesn't resemble many of the more mainstream watches that could be mistaken for another that may get wanted or unwanted attention.
I think the differences to WIS are marked but to opportunists non-existent. To those outside of our area of obsession/interest, it is a watch, not necessarily a brand. They would worry about brand after they assumed possession.

And if you're wearing a VCO, you probably have some shoe game, too; point is, you likely send more signals than you realize if you're worried about people eyeing you.

My wife was worried about upgrading her diamond for similar reasons. I countered that the marginal carat size increase was far less telling than was the bag she was carrying or the car she was driving.
Old 18 March 2022, 09:06 AM   #2503
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiberoptiks View Post
To help you understand, you basically insulted every overseas owner here, on an overseas forum, by claiming we all bought "second-rate" watches just because we couldn't get Nautili or Royal Oaks. Most of us here believe the overseas is way better than those two options. We're not all here as gray dealers making speculative investment purchases.
Well said.

I sold my RO to buy the VCO
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 01:56 AM   #2504
Eapfep
"TRF" Member

Does anybody know what wait times are like for Black 7900Vs?

EDIT: I'm going to also assume that wait list = no discount? Or have others successfully managed to negotiate a discount by the time they got the call from a waitlist?
Eapfep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 02:17 AM   #2505
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapfep View Post
Does anybody know what wait times are like for Black 7900Vs?

EDIT: I'm going to also assume that wait list = no discount? Or have others successfully managed to negotiate a discount by the time they got the call from a waitlist?
There's no discount in the current market much less the ability to get on a real wait list. It's expression of interest only in North America unless you have a relationship with your local boutique.
Old 19 March 2022, 02:21 AM   #2506
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumdna View Post
Damn you. You got the orange strap. I was late to the party in trying to get one.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 02:38 AM   #2507
Eapfep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There's no discount in the current market much less the ability to get on a real wait list. It's expression of interest only in North America unless you have a relationship with your local boutique.
That makes sense. I've ordered some straps/screws for my Gen 2 Overseas with my local boutique but nothing to constitute a "relationship" in the traditional sense.

With that being said, I was under the impression the Black / Silver 7900Vs had a much shorter wait compared to the Blue 7900V or 4500Vs. My SA seemed sincere about taking down my preferences and putting me on the wait list but who knows...
Eapfep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 02:43 AM   #2508
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapfep View Post
That makes sense. I've ordered some straps/screws for my Gen 2 Overseas with my local boutique but nothing to constitute a "relationship" in the traditional sense.

With that being said, I was under the impression the Black / Silver 7900Vs had a much shorter wait compared to the Blue 7900V or 4500Vs. My SA seemed sincere about taking down my preferences and putting me on the wait list but who knows...
You're spot on in that it is a shorter wait for the black and silver vs the blue since the blue currently is Boutique only.

Directionally blue has the longest wait, and silver the shortest across the different models of Overseas. There's naturally some latitude the local ADs and/or Boutiques will have based on your engagement so hopefully yours will be able to source one for you sooner than later. Either way its a terrific piece you're closing in on, definitely worth the wait.
Old 19 March 2022, 06:09 AM   #2509
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When did the VC Overseas get so nuts? One calendar year ago, there was virtually no hype for this watch. But an Overseas Blue dial for $60k? Years of wait?

I don't get it. This was supposed to be the poor man's Nautilus, or Royal Oak.
Interesting to see how trollish your post appears to be. Did you not just write that VC is still in the holy trinity in another thread of New holy trinity? May be Ferdinand Berthoud would qualify to you as a non poor man's watch? My point is I could get a Berthoud and it still be considered a poor man's watch to someone who has couple Dufours. But wait, someone who has real taste in horology would not make such comment because he understands the value of the watch is relative and it means only intangibly more when one can appreciate the history and story of the watch itself. Vacheron Constantin is one fine revered manufacturer that, ahem, is the oldest swiss watch manufacture and older than USA. Now do you understand your comment reflect poorly on your appreciation and understanding of horology, and of course, unless you are just trolling.

"To apply the criteria I am reading over this thread, in terms of 3 high-horology watchmakers who make on a consistent basis, and in decent volume, the holy trinity quality of watches, to me the "new" holy trinity is:

A Lange
Patek
VC

(c) VC is the borderline choice here for me. While they seems to have placed third fiddle within the traditional "holy trinity", they have largely avoided being identified with a singular line (i.e., they are not as strongly tied to the Overseas as AP might be with the Royal Oak or Patek with the Nautilus). Their dress watches are also beautiful and classic (think Vacheron American line). Again, beautiful design and finish throughout. I think they are overshadowed by the other two on my list to an extent, but I still include VC in the three."
ILoveFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2022, 02:38 PM   #2510
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Love this dial
Old 29 March 2022, 06:52 AM   #2511
gmtmister
"TRF" Member

Does anyone own a dual time and a gmt master II?
I’d love to see them next to each other to see how the sizes compare.
gmtmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2022, 06:56 AM   #2512
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Yeah I do...they def feel diff on the wrist...I much prefer the VC...
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2022, 09:52 AM   #2513
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
Does anyone own a dual time and a gmt master II?
I’d love to see them next to each other to see how the sizes compare.
I did and I sold the GMT after getting the VC DT. No comparison.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2022, 10:06 AM   #2514
Afficionado
"TRF" Member

No comparison. I have a gen II, and a gen III blue three hand and chrono as well as a batgirl, no comparison. The integrated bracelet and the feel of the watch was a much more substantial. Rolex is a great company but VC is at another level.
Afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2022, 11:21 AM   #2515
gmtmister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Yeah I do...they def feel diff on the wrist...I much prefer the VC...
Would it be possible for you to post a photo? Thanks!
gmtmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2022, 07:10 PM   #2516
ATSE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
Would it be possible for you to post a photo? Thanks!
My friends watch. Night and day difference. The bracelet feel on the VC is next level. Rolex looks like a toy next to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg received_323415522984035.jpeg (265.2 KB, 279 views)
ATSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2022, 10:45 PM   #2517
Racecar001
"TRF" Member

Here’s a gmt master II and the dual time. The heft and feel isn’t even close. The VC dualtime is the thickest of the VC/GP line so everything else will be much thinner than a Rolex could be.

Racecar001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2022, 10:50 PM   #2518
Racecar001
"TRF" Member

Here’s a GO vs a dualtime. The ceramic GP was laughably light compared the the overseas. The GPs bracelet is super nice (in line with Rolex) but still nowhere near the felt quality of the VC.

Racecar001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2022, 10:50 PM   #2519
sgrossma
2024 Pledge Member

Nice comparison.
sgrossma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2022, 10:55 PM   #2520
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Official vacheron overseas thread!!

Great pics. Surely the 5500V is thicker than the dual time though. 13.7 mm vs 12.8 mm on the 7900V.

Tags
vacheron , vacheronconstantin