The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 August 2018, 12:26 AM   #61
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/art...SlR?li=BBnb7Kz

A story today. Most pick pocketed city in the world. Yes. Barcelona.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 12:38 AM   #62
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Well, I go everywhere considering that it isn't safe. With that being said I have been to Barcelona and even bought my wife's DJ there. She wore it out of course and didn't have any issues the 8 days there. The Rolex AD gave us a discreet brown bag for which to put the Rolex green bag in. Maybe it's the areas we frequented, saw a Platona, rose gold YM, bunch of DDs and a few Hublot surprisingly. We even went to the Ramblas.

I'm a bit athletic looking and rather a bit hyper vigilant mostly because my background so I don't take any risks and make an effort to conceal luxury items as much as permissible. I always insist the missus takes her normal purses when traveling. And we always dress down when out and about, like almost gym clothes. If it's a nice dinner then it's car to door when she's wearing heels.

Would visit Barcelona again wearing my watch, just like NYC, Miami, London or France, although our watches aren't blingy $90k items. Situational awareness and head on a swivel. To me, no where is "safe", Beverly Hills or in front of the White House. If it isn't getting robbed it's terrorists concerns. My wife calls me the worrier.
It’s a choice that must be made by the individual for sure Rashid. I am just glad that not enough people in my hometown own luxury watches to warrant these sorts of theft rings.

I’m not putting myself or my family at risk in places that are flat out known for this sort of crime. I’m not even remotely worried about losing my watch but rather a knife in the gut.
Old 16 August 2018, 12:45 AM   #63
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I would love to be in that situation and manage to get a hold of the guy who grabbed the watch (assuming he didn't have a weapon).

That would be fun.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 01:59 AM   #64
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post

Disclaimer I had a watch stolen. By the very people that were employed to ensure my security.

I remember you told the story years ago.
Old 16 August 2018, 02:04 AM   #65
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
It’s a choice that must be made by the individual for sure Rashid. I am just glad that not enough people in my hometown own luxury watches to warrant these sorts of theft rings.

I’m not putting myself or my family at risk in places that are flat out known for this sort of crime. I’m not even remotely worried about losing my watch but rather a knife in the gut.
I agree with you though, If you honestly need to ask is it safe to wear a watch, I first worry about is it even safe for my own body. If I wouldn't bring a simple watch then I probably wouldn't bring my wife. Before I travel I go on the State Dept's website for travel alerts which now they keep up to date. In these instances compliance is my first and best defense, no watch is worth it or worse that a family member gets caught in the crossfire.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 02:06 AM   #66
bravetony
"TRF" Member

This is so wrong. I'd love to put my hands on a couple of these thugs!
bravetony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 04:42 AM   #67
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Spring bars don't resist and the watch had leather strap as far as I could see. Sorry but the guy was naive IMHO. Three strangers, one of them stop to try a handshake for no reason. Other two come closer. This should have been a maximum alert moment.
Agree.
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 11:20 AM   #68
kulak
"TRF" Member

I tried for the full experience in Barcelona and never had my decoy wallet in my back pocket taken. I also did a lot of observing and never could spot people being picked. The rest of my family had no issues either.

I guess we were lucky.
kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 03:48 PM   #69
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulak View Post
I tried for the full experience in Barcelona and never had my decoy wallet in my back pocket taken. I also did a lot of observing and never could spot people being picked. The rest of my family had no issues either.

I guess we were lucky.

Did you also have a GPS tracker sewn inside it ?

As others have said, basically anywhere can have unexpected dangers or threats. Clearly some places are worse than others, so it’s about figuring out where the threshold level you are individually comfortable with is.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 05:27 PM   #70
Clasper
"TRF" Member

The problem is he would have been a target all day long if they didn’t get it there and then they probably would have followed him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 03:45 AM   #71
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Example of watch recovered by the police in Barcelona.

https://twitter.com/barcelona_gub/st...904097282?s=21
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote