The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 November 2019, 12:35 AM   #1
vcnyls
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1979 Pepsi GMT
Day discs for Day-Date 1803s

Hi all. I just got a 1969 1803 (posted a separate link about that) that has an English day disc. I would love to source a Spanish language one to put in there instead... Any suggestions on where to get one? Ideally I’d like an original one but am open. Obviously I’ll be keeping the English language one as well. Thanks!
vcnyls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 01:44 AM   #2
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Rsc
Old 5 November 2019, 01:48 AM   #3
vcnyls
"TRF" Member

Will they just sell me one and put it in? I don’t want them servicing with the watch...
Old 5 November 2019, 01:59 AM   #4
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcnyls View Post
Will they just sell me one and put it in? I don’t want them servicing with the watch...
Yes!
I just ordered a new dial for my DD and had no problem with it. No service required.

I also think of ordering a latin day wheel for it, too.
Old 5 November 2019, 02:05 AM   #5
vcnyls
"TRF" Member

Oh cool! Thanks!
Old 5 November 2019, 03:33 AM   #6
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcnyls View Post
Hi all. I just got a 1969 1803 (posted a separate link about that) that has an English day disc. I would love to source a Spanish language one to put in there instead... Any suggestions on where to get one? Ideally I’d like an original one but am open. Obviously I’ll be keeping the English language one as well. Thanks!
Not so fast. You are talking about an 1803. A model that has been discontinued for decades. The other poster, if his avatar is accurate is talking about his watch which is considerably newer and OEM parts are still available.

You may have a harder time sourcing 1803 parts from an RSC and if you do they will be bright white and a service part which will stick out like a sore thumb. I would suggest finding a nice set of used wheels with some patina on them so that they blend in with the patina already on the watch.
Old 5 November 2019, 03:51 AM   #7
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Not so fast. You are talking about an 1803. A model that has been discontinued for decades. The other poster, if his avatar is accurate is talking about his watch which is considerably newer and OEM parts are still available.
Have you tried to get one and it wasn't possible?

Story goes like this:
My watch is a 5 digit ref DD and 30yrs old. I wanted a blue dial and thinking I cannot get one from Rolex I looked up ok ebay and other sources.
Because I didn't find what I wanted..... I tried my luck at my AD. They pulled out an ipad and looked up on their database for all correct dials for my watch ref. I could order any one of them!

I have been informed that it takes 6 weeks for my new dial to arrive and Rolex shall manufacture one on order.
I had to pay half of its price up front in order to place the order.
When I was there an order was placed for an ‘80s Airking dial.

There are many myths out there regarding parts and availability. Dont believe them all before trying yourself to get one.
Old 5 November 2019, 03:55 AM   #8
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Have you tried to get one and it wasn't possible?

Story goes like this:
My watch is a 5 digit ref DD and 30yrs old. I wanted a blue dial and thinking I cannot get one from Rolex I looked up ok ebay and other sources.
Because I didn't find what I wanted..... I tried my luck at my AD. They pulled out an ipad and looked up on their database for all correct dials for my watch ref. I could order any one of them!

I have been informed that it takes 6 weeks for my new dial to arrive and Rolex shall manufacture one on order.
I had to pay half of its price up front in order to place the order.
When I was there an order was placed for an ‘80s Airking dial.

There are many myths out there regarding parts and availability. Dont believe them all before trying yourself to get one.
Thats odd that an AD would sell you parts without a service or "trade in" of the old during a service.
Old 5 November 2019, 04:07 AM   #9
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Thats odd that an AD would sell you parts without a service or "trade in" of the old during a service.
People changed dials all the time.......old or new references. No service is required. Why would a service be needed?!!!

Maybe in some places the service centers want to make extra money and demand a service....but that is certainly not a rule.
Old 5 November 2019, 04:11 AM   #10
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
People changed dials all the time.......old or new references. No service is required. Why would a service be needed?!!!

Maybe in some places the service centers want to make extra money and demand a service....but that is certainly not a rule.
Usually the liability of being the last one in the watch to only change out a dial. If something happens with the movement then they are on the hook for the repairs. Most places wont do a minor swap without a service for this reason.