The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2007, 01:39 PM   #1
eb641
"TRF" Member

Ebay Rolex Dealer

....Has anyone had any experience with Joel at usaveontime on ebay..His watches and feedback all look good, and his prices seem to make it foolish to buy at an AD..Where does he get his watches?..Most seem to be dead new, and prices just a little better than Alan Furman...I'm just a little nervous about paypaling a few k for a sight unseen watch, but everthing looks good...Any direct experience from forum members?
eb641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2007, 01:53 PM   #2
puffnmo

I don't have any experience with that seller.

That being said, buying a Rolex off of ebay seems like a suicide mission... JMO. Larry.
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Buy auto parts and hats off of EBay. Not a Rolex timepiece. Way too much risk and the AD experience is special. Just my two cents.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2007, 02:24 PM   #4
fire-ballz

Watch: SS GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb641 View Post
....Has anyone had any experience with Joel at usaveontime on ebay..His watches and feedback all look good, and his prices seem to make it foolish to buy at an AD..Where does he get his watches?..Most seem to be dead new, and prices just a little better than Alan Furman...I'm just a little nervous about paypaling a few k for a sight unseen watch, but everthing looks good...Any direct experience from forum members?
I wouldn't purchase a Rolex on egay. Too many scammers
fire-ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2007, 03:58 PM   #5
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

25 of the 29 Rolexes I have bought, I bought on ebay...and

it would be thirty except one I didn't like and sent back and the seller gave me a full refund. Ebay actually has a lower fraud rate (for all types of sales) than brick and mortor stores. But in watches and in Rolexes, ebay is really only for experienced and knowledgable buyers.

That said...if you don't know what your are doing, don't buy...anywhere... until you do. The safety of an AD is that 99.99% of the time you will get exactly what you want and it will have the full factory warranty...and you will pay a little extra for this but you will sleep better at night.

Gray Market dealers do not sell new Rolexes...they sell watches that may look new or be as new...but they are no longer considered new by Rolex. The open Rolex warranty papers that may come with the watch mean nothing. At the same time there are many honest gray market dealers who offer their own warranty, and you can save some money.

Always ask for a sellers references and then actually check them.

Resist all impulses...take your time...when in doubt ask questions and if the answer doesn't satisfy you, walk away.

Best of luck.
John Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2007, 06:31 PM   #6
RT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb641 View Post

Not if you use Pay Pal. Especially Pay Pal Credit which will cover you for the full purchase price + postage, while regular Pay Pal (e.g. using your credit card or e-check or taking the money from your checking acct.) will protect you for up to $2000. I usually utilized my Pay Pal Credit account to purchase items from sellers who I wasn't sure of because Pay Pal Credit Protection is UNLIMITED. I did fall victim to several Thai sellers but I got every cent of my $$$ back from Pay Pal. The claim procedure was easy and it took less than 10 days to receive my refund.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2007, 03:31 AM   #7
rongmt
"TRF" Member

ebay

I've been selling and buying on ebay for years and only had 2 bad experiences. The first was someone who had 100% feedback but ripped off a dozen of us for Star Trek memorabilia that didn't exist and the second was a Florida brick and mortar jeweller selling a used GMT II Serti described as 'almost mint' that had gouges in the back and a badly stretched band. The jeweller took back the watch but charged me a 3% American Express refund fee for the privilege. Caveat Emptor
2007 TT Sub (Z) with slate Serti dial
2004 Breitling Emergency Ti w/Blue dial and co-pilot module
rongmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2007, 07:46 PM   #8
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
I have bought 6 Rolex watches on eBay and sold 7 or 8 and all were genuine original Rolex.
Sometimes the descriptions on the ones I've purchased leave a little to be desired, but I have always had feedback from my buyers that the watches I sell are better than the pics and description , so not all eBay sellers are bad as John has already said he has bought 25 Rolex watches.
A lot of members on the forum would not buy from eBay or Grey market dealers, that is fine if you can afford AD prices, but if you have millionaires tastes and paupers pockets like me you have to save money and as long as you are careful you can.
Just research your purchase and check the seller out well and you can save a lot of money.
If you do decide to buy other than new Rolex AD I would just recommend one thing when bidding or buying try to leave enough money for you to get the watch serviced at a Rolex Service Centre as soon as you purchase the watch unless it comes with new services papers, then it will be authenticated to give you peace of mind and also come back to you looking as good as the day it was made.

Spark.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2007, 07:56 PM   #9
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Just had a look at the sellers feedback and personally I would be happy to buy from somebody with that feedback.
The only negatives are for surcharging for Paypal, which I personally have no problem with as eBay/Paypal are crooks with their extortionate charges IMO.
When I sold my Steel Daytona on eBay I paid a total of £207 in charges including listing fees, Paypal fees and final value fees, but I knew the score it is daylight robbery though
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2007, 09:52 PM   #10
eduardogmtii
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex gmt ii,
I think the point is not whether or not a good experience is possible on ebay, the fact remains that it is a risk to take, for those that have many rolexes, it may not seem as a large purchase, however, for most guys, they are prob buying 1 rolex, and to get ripped off is a huge tragedy. Go with the AD's always, unless someone you know is selling one.
eduardogmtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2007, 11:56 PM   #11
Obsession
Banned

Watch: Tissot Seastar
USaveontime is a good seller, one of the sellers in my mind when I will have money he replied my emails quickly and honestly, and he hasnt any negative feedback overhundreds. But just and just pay with Paypal, in my opinion to buy from a Power seller is a good idea cause after 1 month you can re-sell it and profit or not loose money and buy another or nothing. Usaveontime is good but Top-notch-watches is the best with so honest detailed photos of all Rolexes that they sell.It protects you fully if you will get broken or fake watch or no watch you will be refunded by Paypal, no risk, but 6350+150 = 6500 is not a good deal if I can buy for 7000 from Geneva just 500 dollars more, for 500 dollars it s so stupid idea to buy from grey seller but if the difference will be at least 1000 it will be a good deal. But in Ebay good guys like Usaveontime,Elitewatches,Bell, always sell Rolexes so close to Ad's prices and it s not good idea to buy a Rolex from other 0 feedback seller for cheap, so forget Ebay for 500USD cheapness than AD's price. AD will polish and adjust your watch freely if you buy from AD if you buy from Ebay you will ve to pay and the money in your pocket will be less than 500. To buy a Brand new Rolex is not good idea from Ebay but If you buy a used Rolex with a very good deal from a powerseller at Ebay and if you can sell the watch at least the price you bought it will be a good deal but risky too.
Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote