The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 December 2007, 03:32 AM   #31
SB10042008

Watch: EXPI/EXPII
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
Mark, can you give some opinion on these winders? i think buying a pair of them.
Thanks
SB10042008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 03:34 AM   #32
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
The quality of some watch winders perfectly mirrors the quality of the average Swiss watch. A high quality finish on the outside (to justify the extremely high price),but hiding some very cheap mass-produced insides.And watch-winders IMHO only really necessary if you have watches with quite a few complications.Watches with just a date not needed,if you have to rest any watch for a period of time.Then just a few winds once a month just to keep the very very small amount of oil around the internal parts.And if your watch stops it will do it no harm to wind it and reset date takes around 30 seconds or so.Save your money toward perhaps another watch or two.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 04:12 AM   #33
Mike734
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah0024 View Post
Can someone please explain to me the point of a winder? Besides being an overpriced cool watch accessory I believe it just add time and wear to your movement. Some will argue about keeping all the parts moving and "lubed" but I know many people on another similar forum and my friend who works at the RSC in Dallas who will all say DONT USE THEM!
I can't imagine a winder is harder on a watch than daily wear. My GMT is 15 years old and look rather long in the tooth. I just got a new crystal and am getting a new bezel insert soon. I intend to take better care of it in the future and wear it less often. The band is also quite loose now.

I would like to be able to put it one without having to set the 24 hand to zulu time and set the date and time.
$60 is not too much to pay for this convenience. Also, a watch winder is a far better place to keep the watch as opposed to rattling around in my drawer.
Mike734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 04:26 AM   #34
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
I agree with padi. Also, I like those duals but my bedroom colors compliment my dual watchwinder brown wood. Thats another thing to think about with finding a watchwinder. It is also like a piece of furniture or accessory for your room in your home. A black wood would not match the wallpaint in my room.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 05:33 AM   #35
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike734 View Post
I can't imagine a winder is harder on a watch than daily wear. My GMT is 15 years old and look rather long in the tooth. I just got a new crystal and am getting a new bezel insert soon. I intend to take better care of it in the future and wear it less often. The band is also quite loose now.

I would like to be able to put it one without having to set the 24 hand to zulu time and set the date and time.
$60 is not too much to pay for this convenience. Also, a watch winder is a far better place to keep the watch as opposed to rattling around in my drawer.
From what I understand it's not the constant movement that is the problem, it's the constant repeated movement with no variation that is the issue. I may not be relaying this correctly and if not I apologize but it's that the watch is in the exact same position for weeks at a time and the spinning motion causes wear in the exact same spots regardless of whether it's clockwise or counter clockwise. Like someone said earlier there are reasons for AND against that are compelling
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 08:22 AM   #36
ohsixx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Make a guess!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB10042008 View Post
Mark, can you give some opinion on these winders? i think buying a pair of them.
Thanks
The winders are bi-directional and work perfectly. They are mostly made of plastic. So, I am not expecting long-term service from them. If they malfunction; just buy two more.
"Speedy Pro"
ohsixx is offline   Reply With Quote