The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 November 2018, 02:17 AM   #1
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Lange 1 vs VC 1921

Which one will you guys choose and why? I am looking at 38.5 mm Lange 1 and 40 mm VC 1921, both in rose gold. I am looking to buy new as opposed to preowned.

Thank you
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 03:11 AM   #2
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Romain Gauthier
Two very different watches! my pick, and im very biased, would be the Lange 1.

The Lange 1 is a cult icon with its harmoniously asymmetrical dial and big date window. It has so much more going on for it with the very german AUF/AB power reserve and the outsize date- if youre buying the current version, the new calibre L.121.1 was redesigned from scratch and features instantaneous date change at midnight and the seconds hand resets to zero position when the power winds down. Every Lange also go through a double assembly process which is very time consuming as the movement is assembled once and adjusted -its basically good to be cased but then its disassembled, cleaned, final decoration done by the watchmaker and reassembled again- its a time consuming process but ensures flawless performance.
Also, one thing to note about the power reserve is that the stated 72h is actually significantly more than that its just that after 72 hours rate accuracy fluctuates.

The VC 1921 is a gorgeous piece but unfortunately the design doesn't speak to me. I love the movement it houses, Caliber 4400 with its very Swiss-french finishing but would rather own the Patrimony Traditionnelle instead.
Old 15 November 2018, 03:36 AM   #3
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJaber View Post
Two very different watches! my pick, and im very biased, would be the Lange 1.

The Lange 1 is a cult icon with its harmoniously asymmetrical dial and big date window. It has so much more going on for it with the very german AUF/AB power reserve and the outsize date- if youre buying the current version, the new calibre L.121.1 was redesigned from scratch and features instantaneous date change at midnight and the seconds hand resets to zero position when the power winds down. Every Lange also go through a double assembly process which is very time consuming as the movement is assembled once and adjusted -its basically good to be cased but then its disassembled, cleaned, final decoration done by the watchmaker and reassembled again- its a time consuming process but ensures flawless performance.
Also, one thing to note about the power reserve is that the stated 72h is actually significantly more than that its just that after 72 hours rate accuracy fluctuates.

The VC 1921 is a gorgeous piece but unfortunately the design doesn't speak. I love the movement it houses, Caliber 4400 with its very Swiss-french finishing but would rather own the Patrimony Traditionnelle instead.
Appreciate the advice
Old 15 November 2018, 08:12 AM   #4
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I prefer the Lange 1, although not my first Lange choice, but to me it’s just a well designed iconic watch
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 10:09 AM   #5
vlps
"TRF" Member

I think the VC 1921 is one of the best VC watches personally. If going for an iconic Lange, I would lean towards the Datograph. Also I'd go for the platinum version of both watches. Here are both watches on my wrist, love both:

vlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 10:43 AM   #6
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
If you are buying new you need to negotiate aggressively on the price. Both of these brands are exceptional but do not retain their value that a Patek would.

I personally would go with a Lange 1 between these two. However, if I were going to buy this brand it would be a Saxonia annual calendar for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 11:15 AM   #7
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlps View Post
I think the VC 1921 is one of the best VC watches personally. If going for an iconic Lange, I would lean towards the Datograph. Also I'd go for the platinum version of both watches. Here are both watches on my wrist, love both:
The datograph is way out of my budget and frankly, a little large for my 6.5~ inch wrist. I have my eyes on the 1815 chrono but probably few years later.
Old 15 November 2018, 11:19 AM   #8
vlps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
The datograph is way out of my budget and frankly, a little large for my 6.5~ inch wrist. I have my eyes on the 1815 chrono but probably few years later.
i actually have a 6.5 inch wrist too. the key is to get the 1st generation 39mm instead of the newer 41mm ones (which are more expensive too). the 39mm's go for 40-45k on the 2nd market. the one pictured is the 39mm and its 47mm lug to lug, same dimenions as the 1815 chrono and lange 1 moonphase
vlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 11:20 AM   #9
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
If you are buying new you need to negotiate aggressively on the price. Both of these brands are exceptional but do not retain their value that a Patek would.

I personally would go with a Lange 1 between these two. However, if I were going to buy this brand it would be a Saxonia annual calendar for me.

Lange 1 and VC 1921 compete with Patek dress watches such as 5227, 5296 and 5196, same category and similar or lower price brackets. The 3 Pateks mentioned don’t retain value either. I have seen all 3 selling $6k-$10k below retail value on preowned market. With a 15-20% discount on Lange and VC, even when you lose value once you walk out of the store, the loss in $ value will be less or at most equal to the the three Pateks. I am assuming a 5% discount on the Pateks.

Outside Nautilus and Aquanaut, Patek doesn’t do a great job in retaining value either on its sub $50k watches such as calatravas, annual calendars, and world time watches.
Old 15 November 2018, 11:23 AM   #10
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Romain Gauthier
Quote:
Lange 1 and VC 1921 compete with Patek dress watches such as 5227, 5296 and 5196, same category and similar or lower price brackets. The 3 Pateks mentioned don’t retain value either. I have seen all 3 selling $8-$9k below retail value on preowned market. With a 15-20% discount on Lange and VC, even when you lose value once you walk out of the store, the loss in $ value will be less or at most equal to the the three Pateks. I am assuming a 5% discount on the Pateks.

Outside Nautilus and Aquanaut, Patek doesn’t do a great job in retaining value either on its sub $50k watches such as calatravas, annual calendars, and world time watches.
Well said - it’s a myth that Patek retain value.
Old 16 November 2018, 05:48 AM   #11
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Watch: my wrist candy
Tough choice - I would go for the VC 1921 as it's different from the usual round case watch.

Gone but not forgotten: Rolex 116233 and 16570
RollieKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 06:44 AM   #12
Banks
"TRF" Member

Lange 1 for me, easily.
Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 06:54 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Lange 1 and VC 1921 compete with Patek dress watches such as 5227, 5296 and 5196, same category and similar or lower price brackets. The 3 Pateks mentioned don’t retain value either. I have seen all 3 selling $6k-$10k below retail value on preowned market. With a 15-20% discount on Lange and VC, even when you lose value once you walk out of the store, the loss in $ value will be less or at most equal to the the three Pateks. I am assuming a 5% discount on the Pateks.

L1 of those.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 11:55 AM   #14
Justindo
"TRF" Member

While I like both brands a lot, neither watch you've chosen are among my favorites. That written, between the two I would go for the Lange 1, although the moonphase version adds some nice eye-candy to the dial. The VC is just a bit odd for my taste, unless you have a large collection, and the Lange has significantly better movement finishing.

If you're thinking of an 1815 Chronograh, I would go that route, even if you have to save up and wait longer. While it's more expensive than the Lange 1, it's worth it and is the best value in Lange's lineup, in my opinion. Although the 39mm 1815 Chronograph is a bit on the large size with the longish lugs for my 6.7" wrists, it still fits fine.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 12:17 PM   #15
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
vc 1921 dream dress watch.
Old 17 November 2018, 01:46 PM   #16
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve had and sold the VC; even at 40mm, it was simply too large, whereas my ALS 38.5 was perfect. The VC wars much larger than 40mm...my 40mm Rolex all fit like a glove but the shape of the VC makes it feel/look much more like a 42mm+. So...if you are in love with the VC...consider their new 37mm. It’s a winner.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 02:03 PM   #17
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Try them on and post pictures if you want a thread with meaningful replies
Old 17 November 2018, 02:45 PM   #18
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Easy, Lange 1, no contest.
Old 17 November 2018, 03:06 PM   #19
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Thank you all. I ordered a Lange 1 this week. The delivery is expected during December. According to my AD, they ship only 10% of their 5k annual production to US. They are indeed coming down hard on ADs for discount. If only they can introduce a sports line and do a better job at marketing.

The VC 1921 still remains on my wishlist. However, I have found the 40 mm size slightly large for my wrist. I hope to try the new 36.5 model when I visit a VC AD. I think I will end up getting that instead of the 40 mm.
Old 18 November 2018, 08:57 AM   #20
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Watch: my wrist candy
Quote:
Thank you all. I ordered a Lange 1 this week. The delivery is expected during December. According to my AD, they ship only 10% of their 5k annual production to US. They are indeed coming down hard on ADs for discount. If only they can introduce a sports line and do a better job at marketing.

The VC 1921 still remains on my wishlist. However, I have found the 40 mm size slightly large for my wrist. I hope to try the new 36.5 model when I visit a VC AD. I think I will end up getting that instead of the 40 mm.
Congrats on the Lange 1, looking forward to the incoming pics

Great to hear there is a 36mm option for the VC 1921 - I too have a small wrist (6 inch) and would be interested to see how it sits on the wrist.

cheers,

R

Gone but not forgotten: Rolex 116233 and 16570
RollieKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 04:29 AM   #21
gilluminati204
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexRolexRolex
Love the Lange 1. It's a work of art.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
gilluminati204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 11:01 PM   #22
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
Quote:

I Purchased a 5036 annual calendar for $19,000, wore it for seven years and sold it for $29,000. They are now listing for in the mid 30s.

Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 09:26 AM   #23
Roy7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613, 16570

Lange all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 11:21 AM   #24
gin47
Banned

Lange 1 would be my choice between these two.
gin47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:39 AM   #25
soran
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Lange 1 no doubt
soran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 01:33 PM   #26
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Lange has my vote👍