The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: If you tried to swap the black for the blue dial through Rolex,were you successful?
Yes - and got a new warranty card 17 19.54%
Yes - but no new warranty card 5 5.75%
No - denied 14 16.09%
Don't know yet, waiting to hear 51 58.62%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 November 2018, 04:14 PM   #31
Rocket launcher
Banned

For the members who don't know the history of this

Please can someone explain how and why this dial swops occurring

And will it lessen the resale value if everyone goes blue from the origional black dial

Thank you
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 04:52 PM   #32
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
For the members who don't know the history of this

Please can someone explain how and why this dial swops occurring

And will it lessen the resale value if everyone goes blue from the origional black dial

Thank you

When the SS pepsi black dial was released, they also released the WG blue dial. To (I think) acquiesce WG black dial owners, they offered them the option of a free switch to blue dial so it could be differentiated from the SS model.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 05:31 PM   #33
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominvicta View Post
Something i might be missing here?
Yes.

Quote:
Dial colour as always is not shown on card.
That's what you're missing.

Pic from web
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 12:28 AM   #34
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
Just curious why you guys are calling ADs instead of RSC?

In HK & SG, ADs are selling the watches only (they provide resizing service). For after sales services, we need to contact RSC.
My AD does Rolex servicing in house by Rolex trained staff, as an "authorized service center."

Original thought was they do the swap so no time in transit to/from RSC. There was a few days where it looked like I may be able to buy the blue dial and keep the black vs the free swap.

Rolex said no to both the in house swap and the dial sale. Watch had to be sent to RSC, if approved to do it at all.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 01:46 AM   #35
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
My AD does Rolex servicing in house by Rolex trained staff, as an "authorized service center."

Original thought was they do the swap so no time in transit to/from RSC. There was a few days where it looked like I may be able to buy the blue dial and keep the black vs the free swap.

Rolex said no to both the in house swap and the dial sale. Watch had to be sent to RSC, if approved to do it at all.
So you sent the watch to RUSA in Dallas and they said no once they had your watch ?

Or did they just say no to the in-house swap ?
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 02:24 AM   #36
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
So you sent the watch to RUSA in Dallas and they said no once they had your watch ?

Or did they just say no to the in-house swap ?
My watch never went anywhere. My AD was talking to Rolex for me... The brand rep for the store who then took it to his"office."
I had to send a pic of the watch and warranty card in as well.

The rep said no to in house swap, the work had to be done at an RSC. Then the no for buy the blue dial, keep the old black, then I waited a month to get the no, not happening at all.
Old 15 November 2018, 02:38 AM   #37
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Perhaps it will return with a 3285 inside as a 126719BLRO. I can't see all that effort to make a blue dial option and kill it off in six months.
You might be getting somewhere. The whole thing was odd. The WG carry the old movement and SS with newer one. A possible scenario; they decided to discontinue old movement on WG and replace it with 3285. The rumor became a full discontinue of WG blue dial
Will learn more in the next few months; still waiting for mine
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 04:10 AM   #38
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoshop View Post
You might be getting somewhere. The whole thing was odd. The WG carry the old movement and SS with newer one. A possible scenario; they decided to discontinue old movement on WG and replace it with 3285. The rumor became a full discontinue of WG blue dial
Will learn more in the next few months; still waiting for mine
Anything is possible and a wg with the new mvmnt certainly is plausible. The one thing holding me back from thinking it will be a reality is every AD I have talked to said whatever demand there was for the wg fell off a cliff when they announced the SS. The wg was always a very slow seller. I know pm's don't fly off shelves but Iv'e been told that in comparison to smurf and the yellow gold gmt/subs, that the wg pepsi lagged way behind in terms of sales. I know AD's that only sold one or two in the 4 year run. One local AD had a pepsi in the case for 3 years. I think Rolex canned it due to a complete lack of interest. I get the whole new movement thing but why not wait until next year? They have plenty of 3186's as they are using them in the BLNRs etc. If they needed 50 or so for the blue dial, easy to do. Killing it after 6 months seems rather strange if they planned to release it with the 3285. Then again, this is Rolex we are talking about so anything is possible
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 04:17 AM   #39
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
I assume it was NY since the paperwork says RUSA New York. I didn't handle it, my AD did it for me. Door to door was less than 3 weeks. I requested no service or polish and they honored that. The watch is pretty much spot on timing wise and the scratches are mine, give the watch character, and see no need to have it polished. Did I mention the wg pcl's scratch every time you look at them?

In addition to the pic I attached, there is a second page with a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo as well as the estimated date of completion and that they would owe me 34K if they lost the watch while doing the work

I also received a one page retail summary page when they returned it that has model and serial number, date it was done, cost $0.00, and says "replace dial"

Very happy I did it. I like the blue way more than I thought I would. I think it is much better in person than it is in pics.
Hey Jonny, just a question. I see on the receipt they refer to the dial as 116718. I thought that 116718 dials were green or black. Have any idea what that means? I thought the 8 referred toYG models.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 04:26 AM   #40
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
Hey Jonny, just a question. I see on the receipt they refer to the dial as 116718. I thought that 116718 dials were green or black. Have any idea what that means? I thought the 8 referred toYG models.
I thought the same thing as you when I saw that but came to the conclusion that they must have dial codes that span across model lines? Meaning 116718 dials are for all pm GMTs in their inventory system and only note a color change but no model change? confusing but on some level I can see them doing this. Either that or they completely screwed up If you look, it says the same number for the black dial as it does for the blue with the only difference being the dial color. I could be wrong on this but I figured Rolex knows what they're talking about better than me
Old 15 November 2018, 04:38 AM   #41
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
I thought the same thing as you when I saw that but came to the conclusion that they must have dial codes that span across model lines? Meaning 116718 dials are for all pm GMTs in their inventory system and only note a color change but no model change? confusing but on some level I can see them doing this. Either that or they completely screwed up If you look, it says the same number for the black dial as it does for the blue with the only difference being the dial color. I could be wrong on this but I figured Rolex knows what they're talking about better than me
Got it. As long as it's the right dial is all that matters.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 04:43 AM   #42
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
Got it. As long as it's the right dial is all that matters.
It fits and looks to be the same as the one in all the pics so I'm all good
Old 15 November 2018, 12:55 PM   #43
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

This may be helpful or not to those who have been denied. Worth a try.

When I first approached my AD about having this done, they had never heard of it. They are great folks who I have become friends with and they were very helpful in trying to figure out the dial swap.

While they had not heard of it, they were up to the challenge of finding out if it was indeed possible. I told them about Dr Tom and how he had just gotten his back and loved it. My Salesperson got on the horn with RSC Dallas and was told no, not possible. They then took it up the ladder and spoke with someone who said it is possible but that they would have to go directly through the stores Rolex Rep. So, they called the their Rolex Rep and put the request in and the rep took it from there. A couple days later, they heard from the rep that they could get it done and that I had to send both the watch and the warranty card.

For those of you who have been told no, I think its worth a shot to call your AD and have them contact their sales rep and insist it be looked into. My sense is that it makes no sense to tell some customers yes and others no. My hunch is the wrong people are being asked and that its not a policy that was communicated across all channels! Good luck
Old 16 November 2018, 01:22 AM   #44
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting also to see the number of new cards vs old cads. The mothership sure is being inconsistent with this and in this day and age I would think it would be relatively simple with technology for Geneva to send a one page memo to all RSC/AD network stating that

A. Dial swap to be done on all WG GMT's sold if requested by current owner.
B. Dial swap will be free.
C. Dial swap will /will not get new warranty card.

This isn't rocket science but then again maybe it is
Old 16 November 2018, 01:25 AM   #45
greanie
"TRF" Member

I went into an AD and they had a BLRO . . . i asked "If i buy it will you guys do a Blue Dial Swap?"
2 day later i got a call . . ."No".
Meh.
greanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 01:28 AM   #46
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greanie View Post
I went into an AD and they had a BLRO . . . i asked "If i buy it will you guys do a Blue Dial Swap?"
2 day later i got a call . . ."No".
Meh.

What AD was this this? Read post 43. If you really want it, maybe its worth a shot.
Old 16 November 2018, 01:53 AM   #47
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Interesting also to see the number of new cards vs old cads. The mothership sure is being inconsistent with this and in this day and age I would think it would be relatively simple with technology for Geneva to send a one page memo to all RSC/AD network stating that

A. Dial swap to be done on all WG GMT's sold if requested by current owner.
B. Dial swap will be free.
C. Dial swap will /will not get new warranty card.

This isn't rocket science but then again maybe it is
I suspect it depends where your are...US vs Non US at least.

And maybe the mood of the Rolex rep that day....
Old 16 November 2018, 02:08 AM   #48
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I suspect it depends where your are...US vs Non US at least.

And maybe the mood of the Rolex rep that day....
True dat!

Bill, did you have your AD contact their rep directly?
Old 16 November 2018, 03:02 AM   #49
R!$
Banned

If Rolex is reading this then they should offer the replacement for free
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 06:47 AM   #50
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
True dat!

Bill, did you have your AD contact their rep directly?
Yes. That is who i was told they were dealing with.
Old 17 November 2018, 06:32 AM   #51
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

13 successes to 10 failures so far....curious to hear from these folks about their experiences
Old 18 November 2018, 05:59 AM   #52
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
13 successes to 10 failures so far....curious to hear from these folks about their experiences
Me too
Old 18 November 2018, 08:06 AM   #53
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Yes.

That's what you're missing.

Pic from web
In many cases internet info is quite misleading. I shall keep on saying that card doesn’t show anything of the dial. Double checked it just for the sake of not getting in useless disputes. Card I talk of is 2018.
You should be well aware that what you have attached is an old style card. Someone more knowledgable than me should be able to let us know when exactly did theys stop using that style and shifted to the new one. As of 2008 - 2009 they were still using the old type.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 08:27 AM   #54
gmstevenson
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex
Quote:
In many cases internet info is quite misleading. I shall keep on saying that card doesn’t show anything of the dial. Double checked it just for the sake of not getting in useless disputes. Card I talk of is 2018.
You should be well aware that what you have attached is an old style card. Someone more knowledgable than me should be able to let us know when exactly did theys stop using that style and shifted to the new one. As of 2008 - 2009 they were still using the old type.
The card from my 2018 GMT II has the dial color. Also, many photos on DavidSW's website of 2018 Rolex warranty cards listing the dial color in case you need further evidence.
gmstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 09:15 AM   #55
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Mine is from 2018 and has the dial color

Old 18 November 2018, 05:52 PM   #56
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Quote:
Mine is from 2018 and has the dial color

Well, i must surrender then. My card is an EU one and it does not mention anything in the blank field bellow model number. Having the dial colour explicitly mentioned on the card might be something applicable to cards issued by RUSA. There is also a number filled in. What does it mean? Bracelet number, end pieces number or something else?
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 06:20 PM   #57
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Well, i must surrender then. My card is an EU one and it does not mention anything in the blank field bellow model number. Having the dial colour explicitly mentioned on the card might be something applicable to cards issued by RUSA. There is also a number filled in. What does it mean? Bracelet number, end pieces number or something else?
I believe this is true for Europe. Even some D Blue Deep Seas don’t have the dial colour stated on the card.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 04:31 AM   #58
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcus View Post
Not sure which I like better the Carrera or the BLRO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Both are really nice
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 09:31 AM   #59
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Thread bump
Old 6 December 2018, 02:39 AM   #60
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Thread bump!

Have any of the folks waiting to hear get an update from their AD yet?