The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 February 2008, 12:38 AM   #31
Gurmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
Yes. The watches are happier on the winder that way!
I think they were originally made for the Australian market.
Gurmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 12:39 AM   #32
portable75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II
I have no problem with Ebay. I have a problem with buyers who want great deals right off the bat!

Got my GMTII on ebay because I can not afford a new one. But it took close to 6 weeks. There are no used watch stores around here so Ebay or any other online store is about it.

Its not Ebay thay gave its self a bad name its the stupid buyers who did!

Im not rich $3k is a good part of my income, so used it is for now.
Old 3 February 2008, 01:03 AM   #33
bgriz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the markets
I have made some major purchases on ebay including a used BMW a few years ago. Also, found my corvette on ebay bought it sight unseen. It was as described, and now with a few improvements it is an NCRS top flight car.

I have been burned one time, luckilly it was only an xbox360 where the guy never shipped it and had every excuse in the book. I tracked him down, notified the local authorities, and he eventually paid me back. Listening to the stories here, I'm starting to think I've just been lucky.

Brian
126334 DJ41 in blue, fluted, on jubilee
116509 Daytona WG Panda
114060 Sub no date
126621 YM Chocolate dial Root Beer
126710BLNR Batman
126613LB Bluesy
126711CHNR GMT II Root Beer
bgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 01:13 AM   #34
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I've purchased many things on ebay and have been very happy with the results. Buying a Rolex off ebay is another story. Not that it can't be done successfully but it takes much more work and investigation. Those that choose that route enjoy the search, chase, and capture as much as the purchase. If it works for you there's nothin' wrong with that. Done right you can save $$$.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 01:22 AM   #35
MasterChief
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko Kinetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
Hey Bill,

I think your views are shared by lots or people who won't dive into the "bay". A note of caution, you need to be wary as a seller as much as a buyer. There are plenty of rogues who will try to get you to send your stuff to them and avoid payment. Because of this I see lots of people restricting the countries they will ship to and for very good reason. But please, if you do start selling, please don't limit to CONUS. I personally find this a great shame when US sellers do this. I understand why but there are plenty of good honest buyers and sellers out there but you need to be careful.
Point well taken Simon. Hopefully I will not become a seller but if I do I shall remember your words of wisdom.
Thanks Simon
MasterChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 01:22 AM   #36
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
I think they were originally made for the Australian market.
LOL - I just figured out what you were talking about, Simon!
Old 3 February 2008, 01:23 AM   #37
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Well, a Bo/JJ split on SOME subject. Finally. Never thought I would see the day.
On this one, Bo, I'm with JJ. I think Ebay doesn't give a tinker's damn about what gets sold or bought(despite their CEO's pronouncements to the contrary on National Public Radio here in the States), and as Bo and some of our other sophisticated and very careful TRF members have pointed out, you can do ok on ebay. I'm just not that confident about my skills to go out there and buy from complete unknowns on Ebay.
It's NO JOKE when an average guy or gal gets ripped off for several thousand dollars either by an outright fraud or by a watch that is less than advertised. And, if you get ripped off, what do you do? Hire an attorney and sue? Contact the Better Business Bureau? By the time you get done with all that B.S., all of the enjoyment of the transaction is gone. Nah, I think AD's or grey marketeers with a proven track record. I exempt this Forum. I've bought here and had a wonderful experience.
best, Dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 01:25 AM   #38
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
...It's NO JOKE when an average guy or gal gets ripped off for several thousand dollars either by an outright fraud or by a watch that is less than advertised...
I can't argue with that logic, Dan!
Old 3 February 2008, 01:27 AM   #39
bgriz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the markets
I would buy from someone on this forum in a NY minute. I have not been around here long but do not recall ever hearing anyone come back with a horror story after buying or selling here. That speaks volumes!
126334 DJ41 in blue, fluted, on jubilee
116509 Daytona WG Panda
114060 Sub no date
126621 YM Chocolate dial Root Beer
126710BLNR Batman
126613LB Bluesy
126711CHNR GMT II Root Beer
bgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 01:34 AM   #40
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I am an e-Bay Buyer/Seller with the same ID (tempoking) since 1999, my feedback is 100% possitive and one of my buyers for a Rolex GMT said this about me..."This seller jumps through hoops to satisfy his buyer".
I am happy with e-Bay and like with everything else you got to use good judgemment.
Ask a lot of questions, a good and honest seller will be happy to provide answers to your questions, no matter how crazy they may sound.
If he has no time for you, simply DO NOT BUY.
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 01:49 AM   #41
Road Warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Any Rolex
Yea I bought my wife's TT DJ off of ebay. I'd been looking for a ladies TT DJ for a while but the market around here is anywhere from $2500 to $3000 & up for old or new models. So I bid on this watch I had been watching. He described it as a 2002 or 2003 model & it was his dead wife's watch...blah, blah blah. So I ended up winning it for what I thought was a good price. I got the watch & immediately looked @ the serial & model # only to find it was a 1988 model (14 years older). I wrote him back & told him I was lied to & that he misrepresented the watch. He apologized & said he didn't really know how old it was & would offer a full or partial refund. So I got him to give me $350 back & that put me in the watch @ a very fair price. But I WAS LUCKY! I buy some small stuff on ebay but I would be very leary of buying a Rolex again because there are so many copies out there. I've got a few friends that deal in pre-owned Rolexes & sometimes I can get a pretty good deal from them.
Old 3 February 2008, 01:50 AM   #42
rgf

I would never by a Rolex on Ebay. Its one of the most easily fraudulent items on there. Regardless of how experienced we think we are....some of the scammers and some of the Replicas are truly good.
rgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 03:52 AM   #43
Randy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Panerai
Never would buy any watch from ebay!!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 04:34 AM   #44
Hatchet
"TRF" Member

I have been thinking about starting a thread like this for a few days. Great discussion so far.

I bought my first Rolex earlier this year after speaking with a friend who has several. I wanted a TT Sub, but didn't want to spend the money for a new one. My friend suggested an eBay seller, Astorlive, because he had actually met the guy and been to his shop(even though he doesn't really have a storefront).

Well, I called him and was comfortable with him, and he had what I was looking for, so I wired him the money. I must say it was a bit nerve wracking waiting on Fedex(especially since the sale was outside of eBay) but the watch was not only beautiful and authentic, but the jeweler who authenticated it was amazed that a 10 year old watch was so pristine. I had it serviced and it is less than a second slow today and I enjoy every little scratch I have put on it. I took a couple of pics but they look terrible--I'll need to read a tutorial on photographing watches.

Anyway, how would you veterans recommend me obtaining a Red/black GMT II(not ceramic) outside of eBay? I live in Mississippi so I'm not likely to find a nice trade at an AD. Using eBay is not appealing to me and I only took a chance because my friend had personal dealings with the seller.

I have reeally been enjoying these forums!
And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. --Carl Spackler in Caddyshack
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 04:42 AM   #45
GMTcrazy
Banned

NEVER eBay or gray for me!
Find a AD that will work with you a little on the price and don't look back.

GT
GMTcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 05:39 AM   #46
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
No from me.
Old 3 February 2008, 06:00 AM   #47
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
I am 1 for 1. I bought my wife's Ladies TT DJ Silver/Roman from ebay. It was 100% correct and in TZ mint condition. I was very happy with the transaction.

I probably woudn't push my luck again, though.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 06:02 AM   #48
Cyberpipm2000

Watch: Bluesy
i will never ebay a rolex ever again i only buy from AD's.. less problems that way and down the road I can always take it back to them for a trade in, but I also don't buy used either... I only bought my LV off ebay because at the time they were impossible to get as I said I paid 6000 for my LV back in 2003
Cyberpipm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 06:10 AM   #49
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post
My friend suggested an eBay seller, Astorlive,
I bought a Rolex OysterQuartz from Astorlive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post
Anyway, how would you veterans recommend me obtaining a Red/black GMT II(not ceramic) outside of eBay?
Some solid gray/pre-owned dealers:

www.alanfurman.com

www.preownedrolex.com

Ponycar here on TRF
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2008, 06:24 AM   #50
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
ScamBay

Sadly, it's become a den of thieves. Tons of good folks but all the dirtbags too. Don't say you weren't warned.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2008, 12:31 AM   #51
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempoKing View Post
I am an e-Bay Buyer/Seller with the same ID (tempoking) since 1999, my feedback is 100% possitive and one of my buyers for a Rolex GMT said this about me..."This seller jumps through hoops to satisfy his buyer".
Why do you have a picture of a watch that is not part of the deal? In fact the watch is the most prominently displayed item.
http://cgi.ebay.com/IWC-Pilot-Fliege...QQcmdZViewItem

It is similar to this one though not as misleading.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=009

The description proclaims in large letters GOLD and the fine print states gold plated stainless steel. I won't get into the copyright violation of the large picture displaying Rolex 18k.

So some sucker paid $747.78 for a $50 illegal bracelet. FleeBay and PayPan are smiling.

I am not singling out any one seller as it has become the norm not the exception to misdirect the buyer. I was a Sears and big red signs were posted prominently 30% off. There were socks by the sign but one had to read the fine print to know they were not included in the sale. Want a good read? Try the fine print in a cell phone contract.

I love reading the fine print; it has been around from the beginning of selling.
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2008, 12:46 AM   #52
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTcrazy View Post
NEVER eBay or gray for me!
Find a AD that will work with you a little on the price and don't look back.

GT
I wanted a watch like Tony Soprano but am still paying for a divorce from 12 years ago and child support until June; I'm not Mr. Gates who takes money home in crates. FleeBay was the only it could happen.

This time it worked for me but not without much effort and emotional ups and downs . I got a fair deal, not a great deal but a fair deal. As a rule of thumb FleeBay is for garage sale items not 5th Avenue items.
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2008, 02:00 AM   #53
llamaofdoom

Have purchased and sold many watches on eBay in the past. It's a hassle.

I wholesale out most of my watches locally in Atlanta now. I don't make as much, but it's so much safer.

I don't buy off of eBay anymore, either...unless the seller is local, in which case we just do the deal outside of eBay. I was lucky in my years of buying and selling watches and jewelry on eBay...the fraud stories on both the buy and sell sides eventually convinced me that it just wasn't worth the risk anymore.

I definitely wouldn't recommend eBay for a novice Rolex buyer.
llamaofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2008, 03:33 AM   #54
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Even though I've sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff on e-bay, I wouldn't buy anything over $100. I just don't trust complete strangers.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2008, 04:09 AM   #55
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Purchased this of ebay many years ago. Did my homework, contacted the seller by landline, they happened to have a shopfront. Deal went smooth as JJ's head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas 2005 017.jpg (60.4 KB, 99 views)
Old 4 February 2008, 04:50 AM   #56
dufferin

Watch: my sub
Here's my (weird) position

I myself may not buy a Rolex on ebay... though I am selling mine through them...

I have one feedback as I do not use ebay...

So you may imagine how complicated is it to go through... but each time I am in contact with a potential buyer that will to go through ebay and not a buy now I get on the phone...

It will sure work fine...
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2008, 05:00 AM   #57
dthiss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King
I have looked for Rolexes on Ebay before to compare prices, but I have never bought one. I have bought and sold plenty of items and never had an issue, although I never bought anything as expensive as a Rolex.
dthiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2008, 05:06 AM   #58
TGF

Ebay is fine (But??)

I only do a local search and look at item's I can go see and touch first.
I picked up this TT sub with a local ebay search and had it authenticated first.
TGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2008, 05:40 AM   #59
Felly Jr.
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona/GV
Here's one to avoid like the plague!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Daytona-co...QQcmdZViewItem

I reported it as a counterfeit with three different user names! I hope ebay shuts it down. Fake Daytona auction
Felly Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2008, 05:50 AM   #60
CanuckRolex
Banned

I personally will buy from ebay without a doubt.

Lots of great deals and you don't have to deal with the AD markup and insane local prices for the same watch. Most ADs overcharge and if they are in an area with no AD competition like my area, they bump the prices up even more.

Legitimate EBay sellers level the playing field with good watches for good prices.

It not how much you paid for your Rolex, it is how much it looks like you paid.
CanuckRolex is offline   Reply With Quote