The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2018, 09:58 AM   #241
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjerum View Post
I have however experienced numerous times, that in situation where I had to complain hotels, airlines etc. I have a habit of getting much more of a understanding and fair compromise when wearing a nice watch than when I dont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Uh oh. This chap could cause me no end of $#!^ - Better be extra understanding.
So, at hotel and airline counters a civilian version of a Ring Knocker.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 11:51 AM   #242
scooter1307
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Shorts and t shirt

I live in Florida and my year round wardrobe is shorts and t shirt with flip flops. And of course my Sub. Don't care what people think.
scooter1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 11:55 AM   #243
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Agreed. No one cares.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 12:01 PM   #244
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Nope. Shoes on the other hand, does.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 12:05 PM   #245
BigJer
"TRF" Member

clothes make the man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEST HAM ROLEX View Post
No - it would be very sad if anyone judged you by a watch,,,
It is - just a watch
I disagree. A person works hard and buys a great watch. This shows success, same as wearing sharp shoes, pants, shirt.
BigJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 12:28 PM   #246
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJer View Post
I disagree. A person works hard and buys a great watch. This shows success, same as wearing sharp shoes, pants, shirt.
Content of character and/or levels of D-baggery can't be judged by someone's watch, I believe is what he's saying. Someone wearing a great watch, sharp shoes, pants, and shirt could very well be a down the earth, hard working executive, entrepreneur, etc etc, but could just as easily be a contract killer or the biggest A-hole walking the face of the earth on his way to his 7th job interview in 5 years because nobody can stand him once he's hired.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 12:41 PM   #247
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
love the response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Content of character and/or levels of D-baggery can't be judged by someone's watch, I believe is what he's saying. Someone wearing a great watch, sharp shoes, pants, and shirt could very well be a down the earth, hard working executive, entrepreneur, etc etc, but could just as easily be a contract killer or the biggest A-hole walking the face of the earth on his way to his 7th job interview in 5 years because nobody can stand him once he's hired.
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 03:12 PM   #248
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post

+1 The person makes the watch not the other way around. I left the Rolex fold for about 6-7 years because all the people I was meeting wearing them were d-bags that were more interested in image than the watch, so decided to sell mine because I did not want to be associated with the negative stereotype.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 04:01 PM   #249
misterbass
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJer View Post
....or it makes you a target.
misterbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 06:13 PM   #250
Lumberjact
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Wearing a Rolex for years and thankfully only two or three people ever noticed; I put an Apple Watch on for a week and people are all over it. Go figure.

"Onto his wrist he slipped his steel Rolex Oyster Perpetual, the 34mm model, the date window its only complication; Bond did not need to know the phases of the moon or the exact moment of high tide at Southampton. And he suspected very few people did."
Lumberjact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 07:29 PM   #251
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
I don’t think anyone notices
Old 22 April 2018, 07:38 PM   #252
Kenrocks
"TRF" Member

In this corner of the world i live in, a lot of people wear Rolex. A lot of people know what Rolex watches are even if they don’t wear one.

People certainly acknowledge that you have an expensive timepiece on your wrist but these watches are so common here so that in most cases a standard black sub, gmt or datejust wouldn’t make any difference in the way people treat you.

Unless maybe if you are wearing something like a SS Daytona C, a special vintage piece, or models which are eye catching but not seen as frequently, you may get people (mostly friendly) asking from what store you found it or how much you paid for it. But other than maybe starting a short friendly conversation, the watch will still unlikely get you treated differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 09:23 PM   #253
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Nicely put Michael!

There is less watch talk these days - seems like the same questions being asked over and over and over. Honestly, in other watch forums, I never (or hardly ever) see posts about can I wear watch X in Y part of the world, do people treat you differently when you wear your ALS or PP? etc, etc.

I know there are fanboys for everything, not just watches, but this form takes it to new levels. Not dissing Rolex (I own one), but the mentality of some adults comes into question with some of their posts. Just saying ...

As Michael says - what comes across on the forms will definitely cross over in "real" life - for good and bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAndSky View Post
Yep. I find a lot of the threads here which involve show me your Rolex and your material thing to be boorish and tacky. But then I stopped looking at them after going through a few of them a long time ago. There are a lot of people who flaunt wealth here and I’m sure that carries over into the real world. Which in turn influences what people think when they see someone wearing a Rolex. I would wager that most people, if they have an opinion of us at all, probably don’t have a good one. I’ve seen a great many Rolex wearers in the DC area and n New York make a big production out of raising their arms and twisting them back and forth before checking the time. It seems like peacocking to me. Like another wrote, I’m unfailingly polite, well mannered, and good natured when wearing mine. But I’ve always tried to conduct myself that way anyway. I enjoy wearing my marvelous little pieces of engineering, design, and finishing. I’m grateful that I’ve had the opportunity and good fortune to actually wear one and that’s the only vibe I care to have others get from me when wearing one.
NAVY is online now   Reply With Quote