2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Yes we are waiting! :)
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2015, 09:45 AM   #63
allegedly
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Sea Dweller
Hi guys! Sorry I've not been on here for a good while, guess life just kept me too busy....usually in places you don't go for holidays and for unpleasantly long periods but needs must.
This site is as good as ever and I've just read the replies to my last postings and wow, thanks fellas for the sentiments. Glad I did too as all the comments are great and some have made me stop and maybe look at things a little differently.
To bring this post up to date....well, I've not had the watch serviced yet but I've got to soon, as due to it's age, things are starting to fail on her.
The automatic winding action has stopped working and I can hear something inside that doesn't sound 'right' when I move my wrist and listen. After owning this watch since the early 80's I'm more than familiar with how it should sound and feel!!
Now I've got to decide if I go for a full refurb or just get the standard internals ( o rings, spring etc and ofcourse, the auto component.) and leave the general appearance as it is. Mind you, if these are the hardest decisions I've got to make, I'm a happy man!
I would like some advice though if poss, from UK members mainly I guess as I don't personally know any recommended horologist in the UK that would do the work if I don't send it to Rolex for the full refurb. I appreciate it's going to cost a fair bit but if anyone can recommend a good person/shop who don't just add noughts on to the bill because the word 'Rolex' is mentioned, I'd be very grateful for a 'heads up'.
On a lighter note.....one of the Commercial Diver social network sites I frequent (full of boring industry chat and tales of nice and not so nice places, stupid acts, alcohol and fast cars and even faster women !!) they occasionally hold raffles. I entered one for a Rolex and damn me if I didn't win!! A Sea Dweller! Pre owned but in perfect condition with all the docs and box/s. When I get a minute, I'll post some pics of the two side by side!
So, nice to be back and I hope everyone is well and the recession isn't doing to you what it's doing to the offshore oil business here and in the everywhere else I work!!
Regards
Rob
Old 28 November 2015, 05:32 AM   #64
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Hi

Have PM'd you!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 05:53 AM   #65
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Its lived a full life and wish it well for many more adventures .
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 08:18 PM   #66
perpetual92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegedly View Post
Hi guys! Sorry I've not been on here for a good while, guess life just kept me too busy....usually in places you don't go for holidays and for unpleasantly long periods but needs must.
This site is as good as ever and I've just read the replies to my last postings and wow, thanks fellas for the sentiments. Glad I did too as all the comments are great and some have made me stop and maybe look at things a little differently.
To bring this post up to date....well, I've not had the watch serviced yet but I've got to soon, as due to it's age, things are starting to fail on her.
The automatic winding action has stopped working and I can hear something inside that doesn't sound 'right' when I move my wrist and listen. After owning this watch since the early 80's I'm more than familiar with how it should sound and feel!!
Now I've got to decide if I go for a full refurb or just get the standard internals ( o rings, spring etc and ofcourse, the auto component.) and leave the general appearance as it is. Mind you, if these are the hardest decisions I've got to make, I'm a happy man!
I would like some advice though if poss, from UK members mainly I guess as I don't personally know any recommended horologist in the UK that would do the work if I don't send it to Rolex for the full refurb. I appreciate it's going to cost a fair bit but if anyone can recommend a good person/shop who don't just add noughts on to the bill because the word 'Rolex' is mentioned, I'd be very grateful for a 'heads up'.
On a lighter note.....one of the Commercial Diver social network sites I frequent (full of boring industry chat and tales of nice and not so nice places, stupid acts, alcohol and fast cars and even faster women !!) they occasionally hold raffles. I entered one for a Rolex and damn me if I didn't win!! A Sea Dweller! Pre owned but in perfect condition with all the docs and box/s. When I get a minute, I'll post some pics of the two side by side!
So, nice to be back and I hope everyone is well and the recession isn't doing to you what it's doing to the offshore oil business here and in the everywhere else I work!!
Regards
Rob
If you send it to an RSC most likely your watch will come back looking very different Vs sending it to an Independent watchmaker. The latter you can actually communicate and be confident with what they will change, etc.

Your rotor's axel most likely is shot so its now rubbing against the movment causing some ugly wear. That's the noise you are hearing.

I would bring it to a very reputable watchmaker with a Rolex Parts Account. Make sure that they have one. Your watch's internals will need a few new wheels, axel, mainspring and perhaps a new barrel, jewel setting, crystal, crown tube/crown, canon pinion, etc.. Though an independent wont be able to test for original pressure testing, I doubt your watch will be going much below 20 meters at this point !!

Trust me get the work done on your watch. You dont want that old friend becoming a paperweight.
perpetual92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2015, 09:13 AM   #67
allegedly
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies guys. And thanks for the info. Interesting break down on the probable repairs needed too Perpetual, much appreciated. I intend to get the work done (as I had intended previously !!) but like most in my business, I got hit with the massive downturn in the oil and gas industry so other things have taken precedence.
She'll get done and I'll post before and after pics. As I said, it's also a case of deciding just how far I go with the refurb'. Fingers crossed now we get the hoped for/expected recovery in oil prices.....a double edged sword to say the least!!
Cheers
Rob
Old 4 December 2015, 01:51 AM   #68
MahdiyaDad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Wonderful story about your early SeaDweller and congratulations on winning another!
MahdiyaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2015, 08:05 PM   #69
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Nice
Old 4 December 2015, 08:07 PM   #70
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Awesome watch. I love stories like these. Continue to wear it well
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2015, 11:18 PM   #71
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Great story!
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2016, 11:11 AM   #72
bkertzer89
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
Great post mate
bkertzer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2016, 11:16 AM   #73
Jkysh
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k / SM300
What a great story. Thank you for sharing! I must admit, my SD4K feels totally pampered now in its daily desk dives. This post really has me considering wearing it as I would wear a $50 Gshock. Am I crazy?
Jkysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2016, 05:22 PM   #74
N.J.L.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Thanks Chris and John.
Not much of a story really, was trained as a Diver in the Royal Navy in the mid 70's, entered the commercial diving world in the very early 80's.
My old man was a Diver and I always wanted a Rolex after seeing Sean Connery in the Bond movies when I was a lad, especially Thunderball....knew then I was going to be a Diver and own a Rolex, regardless of what my Dad said!
So, after checking out various Submariners, I was offered the Seadweller in a shop in London one winters morning. Bit more expensive than the Sub but I went for a stroll about town to mull it over. The gas escape valve was what tipped the balance so I went back and bought it, just over £700, a lot of cash in those days but hey, I was a rich young Diver, just back from Saudi, Porsche, suntanned and with a wodge of cash burning a hole in my pocket and my liver!
And it's still on my wrist. Porsche is long gone, along with the hair and most of my hearing! Drive an old Landrover now and live on the side of a mountain in Scotland. Still in the job, though I don't get wet much now, I spend most of my time on the end of the 'comms box' talking to some young bloke doing what I used to do and try and make it easy for him.
Like a lot of guys in this job, I've been rich and I've been poor in the lean times but I resisted selling my watch. Even my ex wife refused to let it go when we were, as we say here, on the bones of our arse. I think it was her saying "it's almost part of your (me) identity" that made me realise I would never part with it. Done a lot, seen a lot and been to a lot of unpleasant places and it was always with me. Guess it'll go to my son eventually. May help him get onto the ridiculous housing market ladder here in the UK. As long as it's useful, eh?! Rob
Really enjoyed reading this, puts life and enjoying 'proper kit' into perspective. Nice one.
N.J.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 04:02 AM   #75
allegedly
"TRF" Member

Hi guys!
Thanks for the posts, nice to know the old girl was well received .
Finally got the refurb done, at an excellent little shop here in the UK.
So, I will pull my finger out and get new pics up.....and then of the pair of them together.
Hope every body is well and having fun!
Happy Christmas and an excellent Hogmanay from sunny Scotland.
Old 12 December 2017, 08:57 PM   #76
R2D2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600,IWC mark XII
Good...
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 12:14 AM   #77
galaxy101
"TRF" Member

Your story just touched me. It’s refreshing to see how the story of your life can be carried by your watch after such a long time. All the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
galaxy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 11:20 AM   #78
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
This is amazing, a person that uses these Rolex pieces on the job. Great recount and thanks for sharing .
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2017, 02:54 AM   #79
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Cool story! That's the way a SD should spend its life as a true tool watch!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2017, 04:09 AM   #80
Alex21
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Bought my sub c 2 days ago in the spirit of James Bond iconic movies played by S.Connery. My watch is worth nothing compared to yours. Love your story Rob. Respect!
Alex21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 11:45 PM   #81
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Hi guys!
Thanks for the posts, nice to know the old girl was well received .
Finally got the refurb done, at an excellent little shop here in the UK.
So, I will pull my finger out and get new pics up.....and then of the pair of them together.
Hope every body is well and having fun!
Happy Christmas and an excellent Hogmanay from sunny Scotland.
Any comparison pics?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 05:08 AM   #82
MylesFalkingham
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 2
Nothing wrong with that watch, History & character
MylesFalkingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:50 AM   #83
NICK77
"TRF" Member

Absolutely amazing story! A real time tested account of how a Sea Dweller should really be treated. By contrast, my 114060 only touch the swimming pool waters..:-)
IMHO, you don't have to bother it's aesthetics outer looks so long your repairs is constraint to just the movement to keep it going. Respect!
NICK77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 07:38 PM   #84
flntv
"TRF" Member

Lets see the pictures!
flntv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 05:46 PM   #85
Jacky88_99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
Great stories and waitng to see some pictures~
Jacky88_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 01:04 PM   #86
prolle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 1665
Not sure how I feel sending it to RSC maybe a shop that specializes in vintage watches. I sent my 1665 to la watch works and they brought it back to life
prolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 01:59 PM   #87
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Great story, beautiful watch. Keep it this way, don't get it polished, every single hairline scratches tell your story and history.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 02:18 PM   #88
Rolex85
"TRF" Member

That thing is beautiful. Love the stories it holds.
Rolex85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 02:33 PM   #89
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Awesome! - a tool watch in the truest sense.

Amazing watch, pics & story.

Many thanks for sharing... I am extremely embarrassed now for fretting over the smallest hair line scratches on my Sub..lol!

I think your watch would be spoiled by being polished, it looks fantastic the way it is.

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 07:26 PM   #90
soran
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Not a safe queen :)
soran is offline   Reply With Quote