The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 8 September 2010, 09:05 AM   #61
rzielinski
Banned

Beautifull Rolex indeed. The only reason I've bought the Sub is that I do not have any use of the rotating bezel in the GMT.
rzielinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2010, 01:29 AM   #62
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one I'm wearin
Fun read...

Thanks for the original post and write up Pete.

..Guess I'll add and keep this thread going along...

It's been fun to go back and see that you got your watch when it was still a fairly new offering in the Rolex line up (got mine in JUL 08)...

I recall the torrent of comments and opinion regarding the GMT IIc when it came out...."Love it..hate it" and everything in between. At first, the comments seemed much more negative. Hindsight always being clearer, I suppose redesign on a model that was beloved and unchanged for decades would generate such strong feelings.

Over time it seems many have undergone a similar change of heart with the GMT IIc such as yourself. Though I do know there are some who have taken the time and $ to brush the PCLs, many seem to have grown comfortable with features they previously thought were ugly or unbefitting.

Me? I liked it from the gitgo and it's still one of my faves!

--Paul

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Marketh the going of Time." --Edward Fitzgerald
ayecarumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2010, 08:54 AM   #63
exchange83
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980r
Completely agree with your review. The first scratch I got on the polished center links was very noticeable, but now as my daily wearer you really don't notice them anymore.
exchange83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2010, 09:25 AM   #64
kctt
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver/SD/GMTIIc
Great read. I too was initially pained by the sight of the hair line scratches on the bracelet. But I eventually got over it.

Personally, I think this is the most beautiful watch in the range. I also have a Sea Dweller that was intended to be the daily and the GMTIIc to be the weekender. Just over a year of ownership of the GMTIIc, it's now my daily (including weekends). The Sea Dweller is only worn at night or when I want to "dress down".
kctt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 02:02 AM   #65
jraz

Good review. My only comment is that when you have to travel in different time zones or deal with entities located in anopther time zone, the GMT II comes in very handy IMHO. Problem is that most people don't like fiddling with setting it up. Once you have done it a few times, it's easy.
jraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2011, 05:17 PM   #66
JNRSM3
"TRF" Member

The polished part of the links takes some getting used to. I have a Cartier Pasha that has polished center links and are pretty scratched up from years of normal wear and tear. Over time you just forget about it. I do like the brush job that MunichBlue did on his GMT IIc.
JNRSM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2011, 05:53 AM   #67
Power Play
"TRF" Member

Great review, Pete. isn't it interesting how some watches "grow" on us over time.... Thanks for sharing your insights.
Power Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2011, 03:58 PM   #68
OCROLEXGUY
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: 16600
Great read...thanks for sharing.
OCROLEXGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2011, 11:36 PM   #69
sausage
"TRF" Member

First post for me.

Pete. You echo my sentiments. I sat along time in the shop looking at the new green sub, a second hand pepsi GMT-Master, and the new GMT ii C - a black sub was on order for me and deposit paid.
I walked away with the GMT ii C, and later that night, in fear and horror, I took it off and placed it on the coffee table in front of me, eyeing it with suspicion. Day two, I tried it on my right wrist, and saw a different perspective. Day 2/3 onwards and I cant take my eyes of it. It took some time to come around to the new shape, and the bling factor, but I certainly am v happy with it. For me, the comparison side by side with the older GMT (which is the watch I thought I really wanted), left no question.
I think the bling factor is something I see more in the mirror reflection of the watch, than the way it really looks. The reflection in the mirror somehow seems to catch all the sparkly bits.

I believe that the things we love the qiuckest, will fade the quickest. Music, films, people, and instant bond, or liking of something often fades faster than a love that grows over a longer period. (Granted, this is not always true)
sausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2011, 11:38 AM   #70
unitas12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
the polished part of the clasp is really scratch prone.

the polished parts are really shiny and can attract attention.

the feel of the bracelet is excellent

black ceramic bezel is really classy

the hints of green are ok but red would be more visible.

the blocky case is ok and fits with the larger numbers on the bezel

conclusion: the watch is really a dress watch and not an everyday watch.
Not an everyday watch?? I have the TT and I agree it might not be everday watch but I get over that. The SS is everyday for sure. Leather band is what I think of for dress but then again I rock what I got.
unitas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2011, 03:26 PM   #71
TKB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118339 Meteorite
Great Review. This and the SS YM II is by far the best "new" Rolexes on the market today IMO

WG DD Diamond Meteorite CC "Z"
SS DJ Tux Dial Roulette Wheel "M"
TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2011, 05:15 PM   #72
007bond
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Original review and subsequent comments all provide so much useful information. Thanks to everyone for detailed and thoughtful insights. So glad joined this forum. Deciding soon whether to get SS or TT.
007bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2011, 05:38 PM   #73
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Pete,

You have covered most of the reasons why the GMT TTc is one of my favourites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06537d.jpg (95.1 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06576.jpg (51.0 KB, 591 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06579.jpg (59.3 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06580.jpg (41.6 KB, 588 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06535.jpg (46.0 KB, 588 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2011, 06:00 PM   #74
007bond
"TRF" Member

Eddie,
the image of GMT TT just posted is absolutely beautiful.
Can't wait to buy one.
Old 17 July 2011, 04:11 AM   #75
rolexsweep
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD40
great review!... been about 3 months since i got mine and have not regretted one thing
Old 12 August 2011, 03:15 PM   #76
007bond
"TRF" Member

A recent acquisition of GMT II C SS is extremely satisfying: solidity, function, design, workmanship, all top level. Can't take my eyes off it. Not worried about tiny scratches either. This one is a keeper!!!
Old 13 August 2011, 12:28 PM   #77
winedemonium
"TRF" Member

I've worn mine every day now since acquisition in May 2010. At first I found the little hairline scratches in the PCLs a bit distressing, like "oh no, look what I've done. I can't even look after this." But after more than a year of daily use, the little scratches have formed something of a patina - like a wedding ring. I feel the watch has gained some character.

Incidentally, at the time I was making the decision to purchase, the PCLs were one of the reasons I went with the TT rather than the SS. I thought "well if there is going to be a matt/shiny contrast might as well make the most of it". It's one of the reasons I think TT works so well on the GMT-II-C. The other, as Directioneng's photos capture so well, is that the gold finished bezel numbers look stunning in gold, just STUNNING.
winedemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2011, 03:28 PM   #78
007bond
"TRF" Member

Old 17 August 2011, 11:05 PM   #79
SWIMPRUF
"TRF" Member

Nice review.
Old 7 September 2011, 05:50 AM   #80
Jfbhd4
"TRF" Member

Love the gold lettering!
Jfbhd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2011, 07:50 AM   #81
Fredwatch

Watch: Still at AD
GMT IIc still not for me

Pete,

Very nice review. But sorry, I’m still not convinced by your and others’ comments.

I still do not like the IIc and am looking for a mint condition 16710 Coke. Just different strokes for different people.
Fredwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2011, 08:23 PM   #82
clover
"TRF" Member

Just acquired mine last week, can't stop looking at it!

clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2011, 09:39 PM   #83
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
The GMT II C SS.

Took my girlfriend in for the first time to a Rolex AD. She locked on to the GMT II C SS and said "That is the coolest watch in here." This from a now WIS.

There you have it.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2011, 02:10 PM   #84
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
the gmt2c is really a solid watch. 20 years down the road and its still going to be a solid watch.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2011, 03:23 AM   #85
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
i love the new GMT and was very close to buying it. in the end i purchased the green sub for the exact reason you stated. i don't mind being different, but too much bling gave me pause. that said, i think it is absolutely stunning and love your review. thanks so much.
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2012, 12:01 AM   #86
ev8296
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV 126600
I Agree 100%
ev8296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2012, 01:24 AM   #87
westbroek
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Nice review, I love wearing my GMT II
westbroek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2012, 08:10 AM   #88
RUpanerai
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam Patek Rolex AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by petespendthrift View Post
When I first bought this watch I was pleased with it but had a nagging doubt about it being a bit too flashy and bling.

This feeling grew until at about the two week point of ownership. I felt quite strongly that it should not have shiny centre links (or that rehaut with the ROLEXROLEX rubbish and also the inelegant "fat" case). I though I would never bond with it and hankered after the old GMT but with a better clasp and larger crown but with no other changes. I came very close to selling it and just keeping my Sea-Dweller.

I never did sell it (and actually ended up selling the SD recently). Four months on and it has slowly but surely grown on me. Far from being careful to avoid scratching the "impractical" polished centre links, I have just ignored them and worn the watch for what it was designed to do. The first few scratches (although very fine) really stood out on the mirror finish but were then joined by so many others that although still polished, it has really mellowed. It now has a slightly duller appearance that I like as much as the old all brushed look and no individual scratches now show. Also the case now looks normal to my eyes (but any bigger would be ostentatious and impracticable on my wrist). I have realised that the rehaut engraving is fine detail that you only notice when examining the watch very closely and never really see in normal usage (rather like the water mark on paper currency or good stationary).

Other features of the watch that I never had a problem with that really help make me like it as much as I do, are the slimness of the case and it's flat back - the watch is really very comfortable to wear (especially with the half link extension in the clasp - for hot days). Also the crystal is flush with the bezel and the cyclops date window is anti reflective and much easier to read than the old type. The trip-lock crown is the prefect size and never digs into the back of your hand. The clasp is beautifully designed and engineered and the non-rattly solid centre links are a huge improvement. The maxi dial is also an improvement and I like the scratch proof bezel moving in one hour intervals - e.g. a 4 hour time change equals 4 clicks with no ambiguity or scope for error (worth sacrificing some improvised minute timing capability for - after all it is designed to be a GMT watch). Finally I really like the green hand and writing. In most light the green writing blends into the black of the dial making it look cleaner and less cluttered. Likewise the green hand looks understated and I now prefer it to red.

So metaphorically speaking the new shoes I did not like have faded and worn in to become trusted favourites and I will definitely be keeping my GMT-IIC. Although the real tool watches of today are Suunto's and G-Shocks (because you simply replace them if they fail in the line of duty) the GMT-C is a very comfortable, good looking, robust and practical dress watch that can be worn for almost any activity. In contrast the new Sea-Dweller coming out soon looks to be far more about fashion than any improvement in useful practicality. I am guessing few people will find it comfortable enough in weight or under a shirt cuff to be a daily wearer (and professional divers wearing it...um!)

Until the updated sub date comes out in stainless steel to increase the choice, I think the GMT-IIC is Rolex's best improvement in decades.
Nice review Pete. I sold my first GMT 2 as I thought it would be too blingy but I may just be reconsidering my opinion now. Nice write up.
RUpanerai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2012, 11:52 PM   #89
dirko

Watch: Explorer
Thanks for this great review. This forum is such a great resource! Thanks again.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2016, 07:05 AM   #90
onesundown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 "Coke" 1989
Versatility

Excellent point about the polished center links. I own the BLNR and love it. However, there are times when I do wish that all of the steel was brushed because that is a much warmer and understated texture. Also, if it weren't for knowing that the steel is 904L, the polish is so fine that it almost looks like cheap plastic at times! After a few moments when the anxiety passes I look at the polish again and reassure myself that it is obviously not mistakable for the same material used in childrens' toys ;).

I also wonder about Rolex's thinking around the design since the weight and feel is distinguishable but almost too similar to the white gold equivalent. Practically—not even financially—speaking I prefer the steel, but it makes me wonder if anyone else is bothered by the steel finish presenting as perhaps too dressy. On the other hand, the 904L seems to deserve a similar finish since you cannot find another watch by another making with better design or materials in this configuration at this price point.
onesundown is offline   Reply With Quote