The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 June 2008, 06:39 AM   #1
Mort
"TRF" Member

18038 Vs 118238

Hi Everyone,

Its been about a month since I got my F series 118238 Day Date and I thought I would post a comparison/review on my new watch.

As some of you know, ever since I have joined TRF I have owned my last DD a 18038 that was made in about 1985-87 era. That DD was actually my second DD I had owned. My first was a really beat up non quick set, noh hidden clasp model from the late 60s. did not know enough about them to really be able to date it, needless to say it was old.

I purchased my 18038 in the Fall of 2003. When I got it it had an aftermarket white MOP dial with Romans. I liked the dial except the wording on it was not right. Instead of saying "oyster perpetual" it said "oyster perpetual date" in the same line like a sub does. Then had Day- Date under that. For what I paid for the watch, I could live with it. The rest of the watch was in pretty good shape.

About 8 months after I had the 18038, I was a a dealer who took my MOP Roman dial in trade for a MOP with diamonds with the correct text on the dial. Hated it!!!. It was not me, but was better than the really bad MOP it had. .
In march of 05 the watch took a dump and needed a servicing. I had just bought my TT DJ brand new from an AD who I took the DD to. It cost me an arm and a leg to get a servce plus the cost of a beat up factory stick dial for them to send off to Rolex to get me a factory white with Romans . After a month and a half and $1000, I finally had the DD I always aspired to own. I have worn this watch a lot, and I have been very happy with the watch since then. It kept pretty accurate time and over all it was a pretty nice watch.

My 18038 had pretty much become my signature watch, with the exception to jumping to some strap watches which I love, and later having a Patek in my collection. Still the DD got more wear. Back at middle of May, I started looking at getting a DD from this century. I knew I wanted the heavier bracelet, and also wanted the newer clasp like my TT DJ had. I sold my Patek and my 18038 and was able to buy my F series 118238.

What a different watch. The 118238 is a lot heavier. More than I expected. The first few days I wore it, I could tell the difference just how it felt compaired to the old 18038.

Another difference is my newer one is a double quick set. It is nice not having to spin and spin to change the day. I also like the polished lugs on the 118238. It really made it look more updated compaired to the brush finish of my 18038. It is also the most accurate Rolex I have ever owned. I did have to have it regulated and now it keeps great time. Last but not least, the newer clasp seems much more sturdier. My clasp on the 18038 was kind of bent or in better words contoured after 20 years of wear and the crown on the bottom was so worn it was almost flat looking.

Do not get me wrong, if I could of never gotten a newer DD and had to have the old one as my only watch, I would of been content as the DD was always my grail watch from the day I got my first glance at one in the early 80's. Still, I feel fortunate to been able to trade up over the years.

16 years ago, my wife gave me my first Rolex. A stainless Oyster no date, jubilee with a white face and black romans. She wanted it to be a watch I could use to trade up till I got the only I always wanted. I think I have now achieved that.

In closing I will say, I love watches. I have gone back and fourth with different and other makes and love them as well. I would like to own another Patek someday as it was an exquisite time piece. It just never felt the way a Rolex felt. As I do my daily duties and glance down, I see a crown on a face that reminds me that I really do love Rolex no matter what model it is.

Thanks for the rant.
Stainless DJ II Rhodium with Arabic Dial 116334, Longines RG Master Collection Chronograph Triple Date Moon, Maurice Lacroix TT Masterpiece Triple Date Moon, Vintage Gallet SS Flying Officer Chronograph
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2008, 09:26 AM   #2
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Thank you for a great post, fantastic looking watch as well!
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2008, 11:00 PM   #3
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Excellent post, Mort!

Thanks for sharing!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2008, 11:35 PM   #4
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Great post!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 12:29 AM   #5
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Beautiful watch. I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 03:22 AM   #6
Triple Black 88
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Great post Mort. You are very fortunate to have owned 3 DD's. I had the opportunity to actually hold a 18238 and a 118238 in each hand and compare models at Alan Furman last September when I was looking for a DD. At the time, I knew that there were updates but I had only compared pictures on the net. From the pictures, they looked very similar and I was considering the 18238 due to the price difference.
I couldn't have been more wrong!!! When I held one in each hand, I instantly realized that I had to have the 118238. Like you said about the polished lugs... although the updates are subtle, they made a huge impact on the watch. I was mostly suprised by the weight difference. I have to say that Rolex refined the 18238 perfectly.
About a month later I bought this 118238 from a local AD (JE Caldwell).
[IMG][/IMG]
Triple Black 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 04:30 AM   #7
Mort
"TRF" Member

Thanks, I like your 118238. That is the only diamond dial I like on a DD. You can really tell the difference between your factory diamond and an aftermarket. Most of the after markets dials I have seen do not even have the bagetts at 6 and 9, and definatly do not have VS quality diamonds. Again beautiful Day Date.
Stainless DJ II Rhodium with Arabic Dial 116334, Longines RG Master Collection Chronograph Triple Date Moon, Maurice Lacroix TT Masterpiece Triple Date Moon, Vintage Gallet SS Flying Officer Chronograph
Old 28 June 2008, 05:09 AM   #8
Triple Black 88
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
You can really tell the difference between your factory diamond and an aftermarket. Most of the after markets dials I have seen do not even have the bagetts at 6 and 9, and definatly do not have VS quality diamonds. Again beautiful Day Date.
Mort, here's a pic of an aftermarket dial. Notice:
- Diamonds are mounted too far in (Should be mounted along the train track)
- Dial has dots and diamonds (Should not have the dots)
- The 1:00 dot and diamond are in a different location then the rest
- 6:00 & 9:00 baguetts are crooked
- 1:00 & 11:00 diamonds overlap the day bevel
- Can't tell from the pic, but the diamonds showed visible carbon deposits
[IMG][/IMG]
Triple Black 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 05:57 AM   #9
Mort
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Black 88 View Post
Mort, here's a pic of an aftermarket dial. Notice:
- Diamonds are mounted too far in (Should be mounted along the train track)
- Dial has dots and diamonds (Should not have the dots)
- The 1:00 dot and diamond are in a different location then the rest
- 6:00 & 9:00 baguetts are crooked
- 1:00 & 11:00 diamonds overlap the day bevel
- Can't tell from the pic, but the diamonds showed visible carbon deposits
[IMG][/IMG]
Great example of diamonds that look like they were just glued on a factory dial. The aftermarket POS I had on my old one years ago did not even have bagettes.

My Wife has a factory blue vignette with diamonds on her midsize and you can tell by the diamonds alone that it is not after market. I wonder if many aftermarket dials have super quality diamonds?
Old 28 June 2008, 06:11 AM   #10
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great example of diamonds that look like they were just glued on a factory dial. The aftermarket POS I had on my old one years ago did not even have bagettes.

My Wife has a factory blue vignette with diamonds on her midsize and you can tell by the diamonds alone that it is not after market. I wonder if many aftermarket dials have super quality diamonds?
Mort, do you have any pics of the watch on your wife's wrist? Would love to see one!
Old 28 June 2008, 06:24 AM   #11
Mort
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Mort, do you have any pics of the watch on your wife's wrist? Would love to see one!
No, I need to take one. She does not understand us posting pictures of our watches on our arms. Heck, she barely understands what I do on this forum in general. I will get an image and post one.
Old 28 June 2008, 06:40 AM   #12
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, I need to take one. She does not understand us posting pictures of our watches on our arms. Heck, she barely understands what I do on this forum in general. I will get an image and post one.
We're crazy but we do love our watches, don't we?!!!
Old 28 June 2008, 06:49 AM   #13
Mort
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
We're crazy but we do love our watches, don't we?!!!
Yes we do!!
Of course I am sure she knows at least her husband sits around going back and fourth with a bunch of other watch nuts on line talking about what watch are you wearing today, instead of going on sites some other 40 something men go on asking what are you wearing today.
Old 28 June 2008, 06:55 AM   #14
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes we do!!
Of course I am sure she knows at least her husband sits around going back and fourth with a bunch of other watch nuts on line talking about what watch are you wearing today, instead of going on sites some other 40 something men go on asking what are you wearing today.
Very true! She should be thankful...
Old 28 June 2008, 06:47 PM   #15
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Excellent work Mort.

I do like the new DD with the heavier solid link bracelet. I had a choice between the older hollow bracelet (an 'N' 1991, 18238) and a newer model (an 'F' 118238). Both had white dials with gold Romans but the 'F' had 'upside down' Romans and the letters were thicker. I chose the 'N' and saved a few $$$'s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06152.jpg (56.2 KB, 4095 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05326.jpg (99.6 KB, 4094 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06162.jpg (48.7 KB, 4073 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2008, 10:54 PM   #16
Mort
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the images and that is a great looking "N" series.
Old 2 August 2008, 07:26 PM   #17
acucu
Banned

Mort
i'm in the market for the exact pre owned 118238 with roman.
what i have gathered in a one day search is that for a
$8000 i can get a 18038 with the new roman dial on it
or $10-11k for a 118238 with new roman dial
so i am going for the 118238!
acucu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2008, 07:44 PM   #18
acucu
Banned

When did the presidential go from hollow to solid? 2000?

Would model 118238 be the first?
acucu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2008, 02:33 AM   #19
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acucu View Post
When did the presidential go from hollow to solid? 2000?

Would model 118238 be the first?

Yes. Around 2000-2001, model 118238.
Old 9 August 2008, 02:35 AM   #20
GerardoG
Banned

...how do I remember? I had ordered a 18238 to celebrate my daughter's birth (Jan '01) and during Basel 2000 the new 118238 was introduced, so I switched the order for the new model; an extra 3 month waiting period. The watch arrived 2 weeks before I became a parent for the first time.
Old 21 September 2008, 01:46 PM   #21
sweepster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Marine II
Good luck finding a 118238 for $10K - $11K, I have noticed that they have been priced at $13K - $14K as of late. I just shelled out $12.5K for one after seeing nothing else under $13.5K on eBay and pre-owned sellers, jewelers.
Breguet Marine II, Breitling Chronomat Evolution TT 44, Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine 43, JLC Master Compressor Chronograph, Panerai 1950 Lumina Marina, Pierre Kuntz Moon phase Retrograde, Perrelet 1004C Power Reserve, Perrelet Chrono Diver, Versace V Master Chronograph, Rolex Datejust II
sweepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 01:30 AM   #22
gone-rolex-mad
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG daydate-Daytona
the Day-Date is still the daddy of them all! Love em!
gone-rolex-mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 08:16 PM   #23
johnkennedy
"TRF" Member

hello

Rolex are really amazing watches... they look great... thanks for sharing
johnkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 12:21 PM   #24
GMTJOHNNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2007 DAY DATE 18KT
I just got my 18238 YG DD this year and am already on the hunt for the right face in 118238. I feel it can handle more than the 18238 with respect to bracelet stretch and the weight is hefty. Mine keep sgreat time and all year has been within the +4 to -6 regulation.
ROLEX AIR KING 14000 (1991)
ROLEX GMTIIC TT 116713LN (2008)
GMTJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 06:11 PM   #25
Zhanger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Excellent work Mort.

I do like the new DD with the heavier solid link bracelet. I had a choice between the older hollow bracelet (an 'N' 1991, 18238) and a newer model (an 'F' 118238). Both had white dials with gold Romans but the 'F' had 'upside down' Romans and the letters were thicker. I chose the 'N' and saved a few $$$'s.
What was the last serial/year to have the roman numerals right side up?
Zhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2010, 08:52 AM   #26
GerardoG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanger View Post
What was the last serial/year to have the roman numerals right side up?
Both dials are available, bold romans (as Mort's) and romans (with numbers right side up)
Old 9 February 2010, 03:03 PM   #27
ESKO

Watch: 2012 Milgauss GV
What is the wieght difference in grams between the 18038 and the 118238?
I didnt know the difference in the polished lugs, but you are right, it does look better!
ESKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2010, 07:38 AM   #28
Zhanger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
Both dials are available, bold romans (as Mort's) and romans (with numbers right side up)
The romans right side up are still in production and available new? I didn't see that version on Rolex's website...
Zhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2012, 02:17 AM   #29
ozankalem

what dial is that on the second picture of Mort? the 118238 one? its lovely!
ozankalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 03:30 AM   #30
skeetshooter

Watch: Serti Sub
Great post. This helps us who are contemplating that kind of a step-up to see the pictures on a wrist.
skeetshooter is offline   Reply With Quote