The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 April 2019, 09:48 PM   #1
yellowsubmarin
"TRF" Member

Patina on hands?

Noticed some (slight) patina on the hands of my 1680. Is this something to worry about? Will it usually keep spreading? What is the cause of this, moisture? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsdsazxc.jpg (270.7 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg c01230e1161879c62195c1080ba2d4ee.jpg (286.7 KB, 236 views)
yellowsubmarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 01:58 AM   #2
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
I am going to qualify my statement, I am no expert but have learned enough to provide some suspect information in return. From what I have read on this forum it could be from over lubrication which is now migrating our from the center. I'm sure one of the "true" experts on this forum will chime in soon enough. Beautiful watch.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 02:39 AM   #3
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Are you referring to the wear in the tritium down the entirety of the minute hand and at the very base of the tritium on the hour hand? Seems to me like this the beginning of destabilization. You may want to have it stabilized, although I am not familiar with the process or typical results, I know its a fairly common procedure.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 03:02 AM   #4
yellowsubmarin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post
Are you referring to the wear in the tritium down the entirety of the minute hand and at the very base of the tritium on the hour hand? Seems to me like this the beginning of destabilization. You may want to have it stabilized, although I am not familiar with the process or typical results, I know its a fairly common procedure.
Refering to the metallic part on the hands. Looks like some kind of corrosion.
Old 26 April 2019, 03:24 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Corrosion on the hands is very common. In some examples, it might be from moisture, but I think it can just happen through age. I wouldn't worry about it, unless it starts to get really bad.

Blow up any photo on an old watch, and you'll start to see aging/patina/corrosion/deterioration etc ....
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 03:39 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Common and minor. Yes, it will probably continue to spread over time, and perhaps you will have double that amount of corrosion in another 40 years.
Old 26 April 2019, 04:31 AM   #7
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

The hands on my 1680 were identically corroded.

Not to worry in my book.
Dr.Smellody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 04:31 AM   #8
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
I am going to qualify my statement, I am no expert but have learned enough to provide some suspect information in return. From what I have read on this forum it could be from over lubrication which is now migrating our from the center. I'm sure one of the "true" experts on this forum will chime in soon enough. Beautiful watch.
That is a crap picture but I was referring to the slight yellowing near the pivot on the mercedes dial. Given the picture, and the word patina I thought that was what you were talking about. From all the other posts, I gather you are talking about the corrosion on the metal part of the hands, not the patina on the lume at it's closest point to the pivot. Upon further consideration it's probably just an image artifact/color reflection.
Old 26 April 2019, 04:47 AM   #9
TimeLord2

Quote:
That is a crap picture but I was referring to the slight yellowing near the pivot on the mercedes dial. Given the picture, and the word patina I thought that was what you were talking about. From all the other posts, I gather you are talking about the corrosion on the metal part of the hands, not the patina on the lume at it's closest point to the pivot. Upon further consideration it's probably just an image artifact/color reflection.
Old 26 April 2019, 05:01 AM   #10
yellowsubmarin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not really sure who you are quoting but probably not me. Only talking about the slight corossion of the metallic part of the hands.

Pictures show clearly the "issue" I'm discussing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smellody View Post
The hands on my 1680 were identically corroded.

Not to worry in my book.
Cheers!
Old 26 April 2019, 05:09 AM   #11
schaumburgla
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub
Are you kidding the hands look fantastic for a vintage watch.
Enjoy
schaumburgla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 05:18 AM   #12
yellowsubmarin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaumburgla View Post
Are you kidding the hands look fantastic for a vintage watch.
Enjoy

Cheers, just want to make sure I can wear it in any occasion without any fear of worsening the corrosion.
Old 26 April 2019, 05:48 AM   #13
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

This is basically nothing. Very minor, totally 'normal' and to be expected. You'll see much worse, if you stick around 'in vintage'.
Old 26 April 2019, 07:04 AM   #14
1665fan
"TRF" Member

I agree hands look a lot better than worthless luminova or color matched hands....u should be very happy
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 05:18 PM   #15
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@yellowsubmarin
This is a naturally occurring process that will be present (usually) in some form or another on the handsets of vintage watches. I believe it is not so much corrosion as it is oxidation. While very similar (and for our purposes), metal corrosion occurs when moisture is present whereas oxidation comes about over time simply because the metal is reacting to and with the oxygen molecules around it.
Corrosion is damaging, oxidation is...an aesthetic annoyance, let’s say.
——————
IG: @onthedial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onthedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 01:48 AM   #16
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsubmarin View Post
Not really sure who you are quoting but probably not me. Only talking about the slight corossion of the metallic part of the hands.

Pictures show clearly the "issue" I'm discussing.

Cheers!
I was actually quoting the erroneous information I provided the first time. Sorry… Love the watch even with the corrosion on the hands.