The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 April 2019, 05:54 AM   #181
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
he is a terrible character in avengers.
That's Dr Strange as he's a good character actor.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 01:29 PM   #182
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
I suspect that it will be a matter of time when the same movements are placed in the RO and ROO shaped cases.
Old 26 April 2019, 01:32 PM   #183
MavaTalluru
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15500ST Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyx View Post
I suspect that it will be a matter of time when the same movements are placed in the RO and ROO shaped cases.
They already do .. the new 15500st come with the 4302 caliber
MavaTalluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 02:53 PM   #184
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I‘ve had the chance to see some of them in real life in Hong Kong last week.

While the Chrono looks not too bad, the threehanders just look plain boring on the dial side and by brain screamed out ‚timewalker‘ for most of the time.

The new movements look quite well but the crystal to me is just a pointless excercise.
When you look at the dial from an angle, the dial appears to be twisted most of the time. The lines inside of the crystal are annoying and distracting and until you look from straight up, you get a lot of distortions. Just look at a GS how nice a crystal without distortions really is.

They used a dodgy colored plastic dummy model ( which did not really fit together) to demonstrate how complex the case construction really is.

As pointless as the crystal excercise is imo, the same applies to the lugs.
I am only waiting until one of the new owners show up with a bent lug just because they only fixed it at one spot ( and I still wonder, why they‘ve done that with a thin lug on a thin bezel).

I have strong doubts, that we see a classic here.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 06:35 PM   #185
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
a classic is a rare thing. with distinguishing characteristics. i have not seen the watches IRL but you and others have. no one seems to be coming away with a specific aesthetic impression of something that could be different/striking enough to grab them classic status.

also prima facie it is a watch that is round on a leather strap. unless the exquisiteness of the various bits that comprise the watch itself were charming i don't see how this gets saved.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 11:43 PM   #186
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
I‘ve had the chance to see some of them in real life in Hong Kong last week.

While the Chrono looks not too bad, the threehanders just look plain boring on the dial side and by brain screamed out ‚timewalker‘ for most of the time.

The new movements look quite well but the crystal to me is just a pointless excercise.
When you look at the dial from an angle, the dial appears to be twisted most of the time. The lines inside of the crystal are annoying and distracting and until you look from straight up, you get a lot of distortions. Just look at a GS how nice a crystal without distortions really is.

They used a dodgy colored plastic dummy model ( which did not really fit together) to demonstrate how complex the case construction really is.

As pointless as the crystal excercise is imo, the same applies to the lugs.
I am only waiting until one of the new owners show up with a bent lug just because they only fixed it at one spot ( and I still wonder, why they‘ve done that with a thin lug on a thin bezel).

I have strong doubts, that we see a classic here.
I totally agree with you regarding the crystal, I cannot see any benefit to it and I don't find the distortion pleasing visually at all, just a "gimmick". A domed crystal may have worked well.

Also re the case, particularly being of relatively soft metal I imagine it could bend quite easily. When I handled them, it was noteworthy to me how light these watches are, so there isn't actually that much metal in them.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 02:32 AM   #187
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Not to pile on, but, it's been a few months now, and I have not warmed up to this line at all.

Kudos to those who like 'em, though.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote