The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 April 2019, 08:01 PM   #1
Amg7861
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Rhodium Dial 37
Toolwatch accuracy app

Hi all,
don’t have any fancy timeographer machines, but recently downloaded a free app called ‘Toolwatch’ on the iPhone. Has anyone else used the same app and is it reliable?
It’s gave my little Seiko Lord Marvel Hi beat from 1976 a -1.3 secs/d deviation, which I thought was pretty amazing for a 43 year old watch!
0E3CCB7E-9724-4D89-9CF8-1EFBEAFCC313.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amg7861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 09:04 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Apps like that are OK, but you can judge loss/gain just taking note every day of seconds lost/gained against time.is or a similar source. A Timegrapher is still needed to know the health of your movement in terms of amplitude and beat error. You can get a perfectly good one for about $120 and if you have many watches, or buy and sell often, they're a good investment.

By the way, I'm not surprised to see your Lord Marvel keeping such good time. Mine does too. Vintage Seikos of all kinds consistently amaze me with their "out-of-the-drawer" accuracy in fact; much more than any other brand.

Here's a cheap one from 1964...tested as received in the mail from Japan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T3.JPG (121.9 KB, 129 views)
Old 5 May 2019, 05:09 AM   #3
-lenny-
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 👑
I was curious, so I decided to give it a try. This is after measuring for one week:

10 years old, still running SCOC!
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2019, 02:37 PM   #4
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I currently use it as a reference but it’s not going to be as precise as a timographer as it relies on you to touch the screen when the second hand reaches the 12 and if you are say 1-2 10ths of a second early or late touching the screen as it hits the 12 mark it’s going to make a difference when you say do 5-10 daily checks as it averages them.

You can actually pretty much do the same thing by setting your hour and seconds to the TRF clock or similar after it’s been fully wound then wear it at least 8 hrs a day for 8-10 days then compare it to the same source at the end of those days and divide by that number of days.

I still use the app as a good reference but have considered a timograph just because it’s cool looking
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2019, 04:18 PM   #5
-lenny-
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 👑
As I said, that test was one week. So only one margin of error clicking on 12 o'clock. Not expecting atomic accuracy, more for sake of interest.
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2019, 10:18 PM   #6
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I do well enough eyeballing a reference like Time.is.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2019, 10:59 PM   #7
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
As I said, that test was one week. So only one margin of error clicking on 12 o'clock. Not expecting atomic accuracy, more for sake of interest.
Lenny,

Nothing wrong with that, I currently use it on 3 watches, what I found interesting was my DJII is pretty close to +/-0 SPD off my wrist regardless of resting position but gains +2 SPD while wearing so when I say use it for 5 days to check accuracy of my DJII and only wear it 3 of the 5 days I check the SPD avg is pretty low but if I wear it all 5 days that number goes up as it should.

I’m sort of an OCD person so I do use it and also Watchville as these two apps feed my OCD..LOL
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote