The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 February 2007, 06:36 PM   #1
eudiam
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT II
Jubilee vs Oyster bracelet

Was wondering which one is the strongest..
I assume it should be the oyster - thicker pins/screws, less links, stretches less in long periods of usage etc. - but i am really not sure.
what are the main construction differences?
tks for enlightening me.

Last edited by eudiam; 13 February 2007 at 12:22 AM..
eudiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Eudiam,
In 1989 I had my first Rolex; the watch had a Jubilee bracelet after several years of solid use I had to replace it because it was thrashed. I have had better luck with the Oyster bracelets, so I prefer them to the Jubilee.

I know some of my friends have also had problems with their Jubilee bracelets. Rolex has improved their bracelets over the years and I am happy with the bracelets of today versus the bracelets of the 1980’s.

I am sure other members of this forum will have better facts as to which are better, I feel it is just a matter of what you prefer.

Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 08:16 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Myself prefer the Oyster bracelet,but the newer Jubilee looks like a big improvement on the older style.But even the Oyster today is only a solid S.Steel copy of the original Rolex oyster bracelet stretch link bracelet.Both bracelets are very strong and perfectly strong enough for what they was designed for.Now sometimes the jubilee does stretch but never heard of one breaking unless abused.And all bracelets,straps etc on all watches. Are only as strong as the weakest link and thats normally the lug pins or adjustment locating pins.And both bracelets have been around for decades now with very little change.And I am sure if any of the Rolex bracelets had any problem strength wise it would have rectified quick.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 09:13 PM   #4
greenfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16710 Coke
I donīt know which is stronger - though I think it is the Oyster - but I sure like it more over the Jubilee ....
greenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 10:31 PM   #5
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
The Oyster is stronger for many of the reasons you wrote... The jubilee is maybe more comfortable, but in it's older configuration it was meant for the lighter weight watch bodies.

More moving parts = more areas to wear out.

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 12:05 AM   #6
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
The new jubilee are solid links, so they are different than the traditional jubilee that people comment about.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 12:27 AM   #7
eudiam
"TRF" Member

agree, but doesn't the fact that it has more links and hence pins/screws matter? not really sure abt the thickness of the pins also..
Old 13 February 2007, 12:45 AM   #8
Dimitris

Surely the Oyster, it is made to be strong and not for being nice like the jubilee is.
Dimitris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 01:58 AM   #9
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
In my opinion the oyster will retain the stiffness of the links longer.
nko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 03:24 AM   #10
OysterDavid
Banned

I view this as a 'now many angels on the head of a pin?' kind of question. Oyster or Jubilee? Which is stronger? Heck, this is Rolex! Make your decision based on your own personal preference, no some hypothetical question of longevity or strength. Jubilee bracelets have been on Rolex watches for decades. Yes, after 10 or 15 years, the Jubilee is more prone to stretching, but that's only under severe useage. And an Oyster will also stretch if abused.

Are you going to place a hook inside the bracelet and hang from a tree branch? Are you going to take off your bracelet and drive nails with it? Are your going to grip the closed bracelet and perform isometric exercises with it? Are you going to test its strength by using it as a set of brass knuckles in a bar fight?

If you're just going to purchase a Rolex and wear it then I don't think you need be worried about the relative strength issues between Oyster and Jubilee. I've seen examples of both in excellent condition after 20+ years of service, and I've seen others in need of replacement after 10 years of abuse. Pick your Rolex, pick your bracelet, wear your Rolex, celebrate your acquisition here, let us validate your choice here and smile. Life's far too short to obsess over the hypothetical failings of anything Rolex.

Just my 2 cents.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 04:10 AM   #11
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
Are you going to test its strength by using it as a set of brass knuckles in a bar fight?
You just gave me an idea.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 04:15 AM   #12
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
As for me I just prefer how the oyster looks compared to the jubilee... I cant imagine a Sub or Daytona with a jubilee
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 04:25 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Oyster = Sporty!!

Jubilee = Dressy!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 04:58 AM   #14
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
I disagree with the integrity of the oyster. I have seen rivet oyster bands thrashed. I have also seen terribly damaged President bands. The oval link jubilee is only broken due to abuse. I have seen newer bands and the oval links thrashed. Maybe people gained weight and purposely streched the links who knows. I admit on this forum that I have go to a Nato because I am gaining too much weight and sold my prized Jubilee bands because of the weight increase.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 05:03 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
I disagree with the integrity of the oyster. I have seen rivet oyster bands thrashed. I have also seen terribly damaged President bands. The oval link jubilee is only broken due to abuse. I have seen newer bands and the oval links thrashed. Maybe people gained weight and purposely streched the links who knows. I admit on this forum that I have go to a Nato because I am gaining too much weight and sold my prized Jubilee bands because of the weight increase.
The wrist is mainly bone and tendons. A person would have to put on a helluva lot of weight for the watch to suddenly turn tight around the wrist.

I used to weigh in at 207 lbs. 18 months ago. I now weigh around 190. The 17 pound loss has made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE to my bracelet setting on any of my watches. Still fit on the same setting.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 13 February 2007, 06:11 AM   #16
eudiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I view this as a 'now many angels on the head of a pin?' kind of question. Oyster or Jubilee? Which is stronger? Heck, this is Rolex! Make your decision based on your own personal preference, no some hypothetical question of longevity or strength. Jubilee bracelets have been on Rolex watches for decades. Yes, after 10 or 15 years, the Jubilee is more prone to stretching, but that's only under severe useage. And an Oyster will also stretch if abused.

Are you going to place a hook inside the bracelet and hang from a tree branch? Are you going to take off your bracelet and drive nails with it? Are your going to grip the closed bracelet and perform isometric exercises with it? Are you going to test its strength by using it as a set of brass knuckles in a bar fight?

If you're just going to purchase a Rolex and wear it then I don't think you need be worried about the relative strength issues between Oyster and Jubilee. I've seen examples of both in excellent condition after 20+ years of service, and I've seen others in need of replacement after 10 years of abuse. Pick your Rolex, pick your bracelet, wear your Rolex, celebrate your acquisition here, let us validate your choice here and smile. Life's far too short to obsess over the hypothetical failings of anything Rolex.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, it is not a matter of wanting to know whether someone could use his rolex bracelet for purposes other than what it was designed to do ie. hold ur watch onto ur wrist..it's just having an idea which one is the strongest for the sake of it. it is the same as going for a sd instead of a sub, being fascinated with the idea it can withstand pressure 4,000 ft under water as opposed to 1,220 ft, smthng that realistically speaking doesn't make a difference to nobody..
anyway most of the 15+ year old jubilee bracelets i've seen are not as tight as the respective oyster ones and was wondering whether this has anything to do with the way they are made or if its just pure coincidence.
as far as the looks are concerned, have to agree with jj that the oyster looks to me more sporty than jubilee.
Old 13 February 2007, 06:25 AM   #17
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
The wrist is mainly bone and tendons. A person would have to put on a helluva lot of weight for the watch to suddenly turn tight around the wrist. JJ
Not necessarily. My body can retain quite a bit of water. A 10 pound weight loss requires a pin adjustment on my clasp. I should know, I just lost 10 pounds!
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 07:42 AM   #18
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Oyster = Sporty!!

Jubilee = Dressy!!!

Exactly.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 08:55 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Exactly.
And President = Presentable!!

PS: No relation whatsoever with our "President"!!

Old 13 February 2007, 11:31 AM   #20
mikey
"TRF" Member

JJ, I can't hardly fit in my car. Its kinda difficult to discuss weight gain and whether wrist get big or not. When I first got my USA Jubilee I was able to fit the one with 21 links. The 20 link was sold first. What did you do to lose those 17 pounds?
Old 13 February 2007, 12:39 PM   #21
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
JJ, I can't hardly fit in my car. Its kinda difficult to discuss weight gain and whether wrist get big or not. When I first got my USA Jubilee I was able to fit the one with 21 links. The 20 link was sold first. What did you do to lose those 17 pounds?
I went on the Weight Watchers diet. MODERATION is the key word and it worked miracles.

The great thing about this method is once you lose the weight, you can start eating any thing you like, but in moderation of course.

JJ

Old 14 February 2007, 12:01 AM   #22
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I have lost a lot of weight since saving my lunch money for Rolexes!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 01:19 AM   #23
mikey
"TRF" Member

I have the worst eating habits you could imagine. I go to Dunkin Donuts and eat half a dozen then guzzle down a chocolate milk along with a large cream/sugar coffee. I tell close family I did not gain weight by eating bologna sandwiches. I have had the best foods in high and low end restaurants. I never look in the mirror.
Old 14 February 2007, 01:44 AM   #24
Blown Wide Open
"TRF" Member

Watch: All with a crown.
Quote:
I went on the Weight Watchers diet. MODERATION is the key word and it worked miracles.

The great thing about this method is once you lose the weight, you can start eating any thing you like, but in moderation of course.

JJ
Lol...What do you know about moderation MR. I change my Rolex's like I change my underwear.

PAtrick

Instagram: El_Diablo_Rosso
Blown Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 01:51 AM   #25
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Quote:
I have the worst eating habits you could imagine. I go to Dunkin Donuts and eat half a dozen then guzzle down a chocolate milk along with a large cream/sugar coffee. I tell close family I did not gain weight by eating bologna sandwiches. I have had the best foods in high and low end restaurants. I never look in the mirror.
I'm so big I'd have to stand in front of the mirror twice to see all of me once.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 04:16 AM   #26
quinson418
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sea-dweller
Quote:

Just my 2 cents.
Maybe the initial thought was just to look into the bracelets a little bit more. Moreover, for folks that are willing to pay so much for a Rolex, definitely would like to know how strong the watch is, just a little comparsion we are talking about.

It is really hard to compare the structural strength of the two I think. I personally like the Oyster much more.
quinson418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 06:05 AM   #27
eudiam
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=quinson418;177926]Maybe the initial thought was just to look into the bracelets a little bit more.

Yes, as explained in a previous post, this was the initial thought.
Old 14 February 2007, 06:06 AM   #28
eudiam
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=quinson418;177926]Maybe the initial thought was just to look into the bracelets a little bit more.

Yes, as explained in a previous post, this was the initial thought.