The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 February 2007, 12:12 PM   #1
Dieler

Icon20 New to Forum - Thoughts Pls.

Been evaluating options for new watch for some time, would like your thoughts on following please;

Considering SS Sub / GMT II / Sea Dweller;

Sub seems the standard sport Rolex, GMT has the cool Red sweep hand and ability to move time zones / Sea Dweller seems very similar to Sub but can find sellers more willing to work the price?

In the end, GMTII would be the pick but the smaller crown turns me off. Any major differences in movement / band & link assembly / durability / resale value that I should weigh in.

Greatly appreciate perspectives..
Dieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 12:15 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi and welcome to TRF.

All three great watches....you have to try them all and see which ones smiles back at you.

I have my Sub-date 16610 up for sale in the For Sale section of this forum if you're interested.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Dieler

Wouldn't the shipping from New Zealand to NYC Area be super expensive?
Old 15 February 2007, 12:17 PM   #4
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Welcome to forum. All depends on what you do. If you travel or conduct bussiness in 2 different time zones, or want to keep track of close relatives who live overseas, get the GMT. If you Dive or do water sports or are really rough on watches get the SS Sub. If you are a saturation diver working on a offshore oil rig, get the SeaDweller.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 12:20 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieler View Post
Wouldn't the shipping from New Zealand to NYC Area be super expensive?
No worries, I'll take care of that - shipping + insurance. I have several references on this forum, so no worries in that department too!!

If you're really interested, we can carry on the rest of this conversation through PM or you can e-mail me.

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 15 February 2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Dieler

Desk Jockey by weekday but fairly active on weekends. Some Intl Biz but not necessary to have functionality of GMT - I do love the contrast of the red sweep hand though...I am rough on pretty much everything. Is GMT less durable than Sub? Does the smaller crown have any signifigance? Why are Sea Dwellers less valued in the marketplace? Guess those are my real questions outside of being out of the know on variations in movement, etc..
Old 15 February 2007, 12:28 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Desk Jockey by weekday but fairly active on weekends. Some Intl Biz but not necessary to have functionality of GMT - I do love the contrast of the red sweep hand though...I am rough on pretty much everything. Is GMT less durable than Sub? Does the smaller crown have any signifigance? Why are Sea Dwellers less valued in the marketplace? Guess those are my real questions outside of being out of the know on variations in movement, etc..
In no way is the GMT less durable than the Sub....except for the fact that the GMT is waterproof to 100 m and the Sub way down to 300 m. Hardly matters unless you're really into very professional deep-sea diving.

Yes, the crown on the Sub is the TRIPLOCK with additional sealing around the stem as it's rated as a diver's watch.

The GMT has the TWINLOCK crown but that doesn't deter from the fact that the GMT is one helluva tough watch too....and especially good for travel, etc.

Your choice - both excellent pieces.

The SD is another blockbuster from Rolex. Mr. Muscleman in the line-up, this is the ULTIMATE dive watch. Superb in aesthetics, tough as nails and a watch that will outlive you several times over.

Your call, my friend.

Good luck - JJ

Old 15 February 2007, 12:37 PM   #8
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Sounds like the GMT is the one for you! Get the GMT!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 12:39 PM   #9
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
With those options I'd get the SD. I bought the GMT but then got another one in TT. I had no idea! :-)
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 12:46 PM   #10
mrbieler
"TRF" Member

Watch: all about acrylic
My choice is the GMT II, then a Sub, and then a SD. It's all very subjective.

As for shipping, I got my Tudor from Hong Kong via EMS for $30 and it got to my door in Los Angeles in 72 hours!

Buying from JJ in NZ would be a piece of cake. :)

Cursimus Cum Forfex

mrbieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 01:18 PM   #11
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
I too considered buying a GMT II. At the last "minute" I changed my mind and bought the SD.

An SD is a "ballsy" watch. It's big, clean (no cyclop date), simple, and is one of the heaviest, if not, THEE heaviest watch Rolex makes (Someone specified here 146 grams?) . The GMT II is 126 grams and the Sub-Date is 132 grams?

The ONLY downside of an SD to some people is comfort. Yes, you will notice you are wearing it. It's not that easy to get a perfect fit on this watch.

I never considered re-sale value on the SD. I bought it brand new to keep it forever. This watch will outlast you and as it's a very important watch to Rolex, will be in circulation for very many years, so future maintenance of the SD will be simple.

The SD also comes with some extra "perks". Each SD watch comes with a tool-kit (Rolex 2100 watch-tool), an extra larger extension link and pins, a leather wallet which nicely houses all these goodies, as well as a cool laminated compression-chart. The kit itself retails for something like $56 US!!!

Lastly, the SD's braclet has hidden extension links. The same can be said about the Sub-Date, however, the GMT has no extension links.

Neither the Sub-Date or the GMT II comes with a kit, however, you can buy it aftermarket from some websites or ebay. You should know that this kit only comes with the SD an no other's.

If you're lucky, you also can get your hands on an silver anchor.

If you can, try all 3 on at the AD.

I'd be very interested in hearing how/why you made your final selection.

Good luck.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 01:36 PM   #12
miner
"TRF" Member

Hi Welcome to TRF.
I have a 20yr GMTII which I've had for 10 years and a 1yo SD which I got new.

Just looking at what you do, any of the three watches you list will do fine, you won't have to worry about exceeding any of the specs. The bracelets are very similar but clasps are different for the sub/sd and the GMT.

I think it's really going to be which one you like in terms of looks and fit and that's something you'll have to do in an AD where you'll be able to try them on.

As has been pointed out if you are not used to a heavy watch then the sd will take a bit of getting used to, it also stands quite high on the wrist compared to the GMT. So when you do try it on keep it on your wrist for some time.

Good luck and pick the one that smiles back at you (they probably all will!!)

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 01:48 PM   #13
Blue Bull
Banned

I had the GMT red/black for 6 years,I have the Blue TT Sub now and if I would go for a second Rolex,I would go for the Sea-Dweller.Actually,I can get one ,new,for an excellent price,thinking it over,very seriously .....
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 02:59 PM   #14
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Been evaluating options for new watch for some time, would like your thoughts on following please;

Considering SS Sub / GMT II / Sea Dweller;

Sub seems the standard sport Rolex, GMT has the cool Red sweep hand and ability to move time zones / Sea Dweller seems very similar to Sub but can find sellers more willing to work the price?

In the end, GMTII would be the pick but the smaller crown turns me off. Any major differences in movement / band & link assembly / durability / resale value that I should weigh in.

Greatly appreciate perspectives..
Hi Dieler, Welcome!

Any of the three are great watches and will be more than durable enough for anything you would subject a sport watch to. Each of course was built with a different purpose in mind.

The reference 16710 of course was designed as a pilots watch that has found favor with those desiring the capability of multiple time zones. As such it is, in my view, the most versatile of the three in that not only does it allow tracking more than one timezone at once, but because the inserts can be changed allows a different look if you desire.
Outfitted with the Rolex 3185 movement, the GMT actually shares the basic movement with it's diving cousins. The difference of course being the addition of the 4th hand complication. It does come with the twinlock crown. Some feel the smaller crown is a bit harder to use and doesn't have the "look" of the diver's larger triplock.

The reference 16610 Submariner is the "classic" Rolex. It is I would submit the most popular of the sport series, and with good reason. The Sub blends a classic design with with a neat functional appearance that is as comfortable "in the wild" as in the board room. Powered by the rugged 3135 movement,equipped with the triplock crown,and possessing the distinctive cyclops lens, the Sub is the iconic Rolex diver's watch. It's unidirectional bezel also comes in handy for more "mundane" functions as timing parking meters,phone calls, etc....

The refference 16600 Sea-Dweller is certainly the "Big Dog" of the bunch. Purpose built for saturation diving, and possessing a wonderfull history, the SD has a following that is almost cult like. Not many of us will test the limits of the SDs capabilities LOL!
The SD while sharing the same movement as the Sub provides, in my view, a much more businesslike utilitarian look. Sans cyclops and possessing a thicker crystal and case it is a heavier watch than the other two. Additionally, because of a slight difference in the bracelet of the SD some have found a "perfect fit" a bit harder to get, and the watch tending to move a bit more on the wrist. Of course we're all different so trying them on at a dealer is a good idea.
The SD does have the HE valve, though I doubt you'll ever need it. LOL! But it's a nice conversation piece.

As far as the bracelet goes, yeah there are some minor differences. The GMT uses a smaller clasp, and of course does not have a diver's extention, but construction is basically the same for all.

Good luck on your decision and let us know.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 03:48 PM   #15
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
Quote:
In the end, GMTII would be the pick but the smaller crown turns me off.
If you wait until April, there's a good chance the GMTII will be revamped and have a larger triplock crown... the red hand is the 24 hour hand. I know that a sweep hand refers to any hand that sweeps around the dial, but I usually see people referring to second(s?) hands when they use the term sweep...

If you're in love with the fact it is red, though... one of the "supposed" changes is that this hand may be green on the "new & improved" GMT Master II.

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 07:27 PM   #16
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
I have always preferred the smaller crown. Aesthetically, it merges into the shoulders nicely and does not dig into my hand when I have to flex it. The GMT is a superb watch for all things. A great classic.
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 07:35 PM   #17
mansion

(Deleted. double entry with next post.)
mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 07:42 PM   #18
mansion

I had the same problem when buying my first Rolex: GMT II or other?

My final decision is explained at

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...622#post172622

(See my reply of 2 Feb, 2:50 pm.)

Last edited by mansion; 15 February 2007 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: addition
mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 09:53 PM   #19
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
So, none of you think Dieler would be interested in buying a super sized GMT II?

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 10:04 PM   #20
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Welcome aboard, Dieler!

For your purposes, there's little between the three that would make for a clear choice. From what you've said, it's going to come down to aesthetics.

The Sub's one of, if not THE, classic sports Rolex. You can't go wrong with it. It's a double-edged sword, though. Some people don't like Subs because too many people have one.

The GMT's a great watch, and it's probably the one I'd get next. However, I'm not too crazy about the Twinlock crown either, but it's a matter of personal taste. As tonelar has said, there's speculation that Rolex may soon release a new GMT with a Triplock crown, but them again, the best approach to take with pending Rolex models is to believe it when you see it.

Some people prefer the SD because it doesn't have a Cyclops. It's not all that big a deal to me - the Cyclops on my DateJust and Tudor chrono don't bother me at all. I just like the fact that the SD is Rolex's bad boy, and that's why I got mine.
Old 15 February 2007, 10:05 PM   #21
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
So, none of you think Dieler would be interested in buying a super sized GMT II?
Hey, IF Rolex releases it, I'd be telling the guy to take a number and get in line!
Old 15 February 2007, 10:41 PM   #22
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Based on your list of models: SS Sub / GMT II / Sea Dweller;
I would choice the following preference:

1. SS Sub
2. Sea Dweller date
3. GMT-MASTER II
nko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 10:51 PM   #23
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Any of the ones listed would work great. You need to try on all 3 to tell what feel and looks best for you.

Quote:
I have always preferred the smaller crown. Aesthetically, it merges into the shoulders nicely and does not dig into my hand when I have to flex it. The GMT is a superb watch for all things. A great classic.
Agreed, plus the slightly smaller clasp give the GMT II tool watch ruggedness with a few dress watch features.
Good luck & welcome,
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 11:18 PM   #24
President
Banned

Watch: Bear Grylls
Welcome!
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 11:40 PM   #25
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Great comments above. I have some thoughts posted at the link in my sig file (below). -Sheldon
Old 16 February 2007, 12:20 AM   #26
sinbad
"TRF" Member

Welcome. You can't go wrong with any of the three watches you mentioned. My preference is the sub, gmt ii, sd (in that order). Try them all on. I am sure you wil begin to favor one model over the others.
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2007, 01:13 AM   #27
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
Any choice you make will be totally up to you. I would pick the watch that makes you comfortable. also try on an Omega or Breitling
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2007, 01:30 AM   #28
rusi
Banned

Hi, welcome on board.
Id love the sub as my first rolex watch followed by the GMT II, & maybe the SD later.
rusi is offline   Reply With Quote