The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 February 2007, 09:47 AM   #1
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
When Current Models become 'Vintage'...

As someone of the younger generation, the Rolex models in production at the moment are the ones that are regarded as the 'newest' models, such as the 16610 and so on, and I guess I can consider them 'my generation' of models.

Vintage runs, such as the 5513 and 16800 where never made while I was coherently interested in watches, thus I consider them 'older' and perhaps a bit more historic, and even a bit more desirable. People regard the 5513 and 16800 as classics, as important models in the history of the sports rolex - last of a generation model, and first model with sapphire crystal (respectively)

So, my long-winded train of thought is as such.... In 20 or 30 years time, will people regard any of the current line up as collectors watches?

Will the 16610 be the last sub without maxi dial (just thinking here people)?
Will the 16710 be the classic, last-of-the-aluminium bezeled GMT IIs?
Will the 16610LV be regarded as a limited run, much like the red subs?

What are your thoughts?
Old 12 February 2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
...So, my long-winded train of thought is as such.... In 20 or 30 years time, will people regard any of the current line up as collectors watches?...
My answer to your question would be "Yes", but I have no idea which current models would gain that status. I suppose the LV is a good candidate, as is the Anniversary GMT. We shall see...
Old 12 February 2007, 09:51 AM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
My answer to your question would be "Yes", but I have no idea which current models would gain that status. I suppose the LV is a good candidate, as is the Anniversary GMT. We shall see...
I became vintage just after they discovered Mesopotamia!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 09:51 AM   #4
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date 16610
It would be nice if the current Rolexes would achieve that status sometime in the future. I guess we'll just have to see what happens in the next 40 years..........good lord-in 40 years I'll be as old as JJ.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
A. Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 09:52 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Jacobs View Post
It would be nice if the current Rolexes would achieve that status sometime in the future. I guess we'll just have to see what happens in the next 40 years..........good lord-in 40 years I'll be as old as JJ.
Old in years, but still young at heart, tosser!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 12 February 2007, 09:54 AM   #6
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Old in years, but still young at heart, tosser!!
I guess that's what really matters, pal

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
A. Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 09:56 AM   #7
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh no, Mr. King Tosser. You became vintage when amoebas were all that inhabited the Earth...
Old 12 February 2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Otis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh no, Mr. King Tosser. You became vintage when amoebas were all that inhabited the Earth...
Even then he had a certain...affinity... for the wooly ones.

Now, ahem, back on topic....

I wonder nowadays in the world of carefully considered marketing and research, whether there will be any models that are unpopular now, but will become rare? Look at the oysterquartz, or the milgauss (extreme example, I know...). There is not much nowadays that people shy away from, except perhaps a certain leopard watch. But somehow, I can't see that ever being desireable...unless we do get re-colonised by monkeys
Old 12 February 2007, 10:08 AM   #9
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
...I wonder nowadays in the world of carefully considered marketing and research, whether there will be any models that are unpopular now, but will become rare? Look at the oysterquartz, or the milgauss (extreme example, I know...). There is not much nowadays that people shy away from, except perhaps a certain leopard watch. But somehow, I can't see that ever being desireable...unless we do get re-colonised by monkeys
Probably, but it is difficult identifying them now, in the midst of their "current" status. I suspect that most, if not all, of those watches considered "collectible" now were NOT considered anything special when they were on the current list. Just MHO...
Old 12 February 2007, 10:14 AM   #10
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
The time period now as far as I know is 1940 to 1969, would be considered vintage.
nko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 10:16 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Can someone actually define "vintage"?

So would any object over 50 years old be considered as vintage....or would it have to be less in years than that?

Old 12 February 2007, 10:17 AM   #12
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nko51 View Post
The time period now as far as I know is 1940 to 1969, would be considered vintage.
Yes, but I believe that Otis was ruminating on the "collectible" status of the current line of watches in the future, rather than merely "vintage" status. Correct me if I'm wrong, Otis...
Old 12 February 2007, 10:18 AM   #13
Otis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Probably, but it is difficult identifying them now, in the midst of their "current" status. I suspect that most, if not all, of those watches considered "collectible" now were NOT considered anything special when they were on the current list. Just MHO...
Exactly my thoughts too
That's what I find interesting. especially now, where market research and consumer studies and all the claptrap play such a big role in product development.
Old 12 February 2007, 10:22 AM   #14
mike
"TRF" Member

Otis that's a great question. In the strictest sense of the term all will be vintage references if we use the common definition of about 25 years.

I think the question that naturally follows is which will future collectors consider desireable as collectors pieces.
Of the three I would submit the LV has the best chance for a couple reasons.

Lets not confuse "limited run"--which it is not--with short run--which it could be if the sub is revamped in a year or two with the larger case and ceramic bezel, maxi-dial etc...
I think it important watches like the 1680 RED, which ran from circa 1967 to 1973/74 as most collectors reckon the time frame was the only date sub made at the time and did not share production with a "brother" model. Even the 1655, considered a grail by many collectors had a rather long run from 71 to 85. The Milgaus another.
Granted Rolex was not making the number of watches back then, but again none shared production with a counterpart.
What all these pieces had was that "something different" that once productions ends and existing supplies find a home desirability becomes a factor.

The 16610 and 16710 perhaps a bit less so as both have had long production runs and there's a blue million examples out there. Fine vintage pieces to be sure, but rarity and desirability perhaps less so. (I'm apt to make a bit of exception with the SD. Always a bit more cultish, the SD has always had a strong following)

LOL! What I wouldn't give for a crystall ball!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 10:25 AM   #15
ginzo

Watch: GMT/1675 Exp/1016
A recent quote from Padi56:

"Well if you can get hold of a mint 14060 with the tritium dial get one. IMHO they will be the next collectable Rolex,prices are about to rise."

I looking for one.
ginzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 10:28 AM   #16
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
...LOL! What I wouldn't give for a crystall ball!!
Indeed, Mike. Money to be made there, my friend!!!
Old 12 February 2007, 10:35 AM   #17
Otis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Otis that's a great question. In the strictest sense of the term all will be vintage references if we use the common definition of about 25 years.

I think the question that naturally follows is which will future collectors consider desireable as collectors pieces.
Of the three I would submit the LV has the best chance for a couple reasons.

Lets not confuse "limited run"--which it is not--with short run--which it could be if the sub is revamped in a year or two with the larger case and ceramic bezel, maxi-dial etc...
I think it important watches like the 1680 RED, which ran from circa 1967 to 1973/74 as most collectors reckon the time frame was the only date sub made at the time and did not share production with a "brother" model. Even the 1655, considered a grail by many collectors had a rather long run from 71 to 85. The Milgaus another.
Granted Rolex was not making the number of watches back then, but again none shared production with a counterpart.
What all these pieces had was that "something different" that once productions ends and existing supplies find a home desirability becomes a factor.

The 16610 and 16710 perhaps a bit less so as both have had long production runs and there's a blue million examples out there. Fine vintage pieces to be sure, but rarity and desirability perhaps less so. (I'm apt to make a bit of exception with the SD. Always a bit more cultish, the SD has always had a strong following)

LOL! What I wouldn't give for a crystall ball!!
Excellent, thanks Mike!
So, I guess the difference between 'limited' and 'short' run is that Limited they only choose to make, say, X thousand models, whereas a 'short' run is that they make them until they stop... which is not very long.

Good point there Mike, I guess that does play a big part in determining value down the track.

Also agree with you about the SD...it has a bit of something about it, a bit of old-school no-nonsense.

Needless to say, I can't wait to see what will happen many years down the track.

Yes, now where can I get me one of those crystal ball dealies ..?
Old 12 February 2007, 10:38 AM   #18
mrbieler
"TRF" Member

Watch: all about acrylic
A simple breakdown is acrylic vs sapphire crystal. Curious as to where the line gets drawn for the next break.

Cursimus Cum Forfex

mrbieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 10:52 AM   #19
Otis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, but I believe that Otis was ruminating on the "collectible" status of the current line of watches in the future, rather than merely "vintage" status. Correct me if I'm wrong, Otis...
Nope, you were right-on!
Interesting though, I know that for something to be antique, it has to be 100yrs old older, but not sure about vintage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
A simple breakdown is acrylic vs sapphire crystal. Curious as to where the line gets drawn for the next break.
My thoughts are... for some the sports line at least... maxi dial & ceramic bezel?
Old 12 February 2007, 08:54 PM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginzo View Post
A recent quote from Padi56:

"Well if you can get hold of a mint 14060 with the tritium dial get one. IMHO they will be the next collectable Rolex,prices are about to rise."

I looking for one.
Yes IMHO that will be the next collectable Rolex sports,perhaps the 5513 of the not so distant future.And even the O/Q is starting to get collectable,especially the mark 1 models with the non chronometer dial.But would doubt if any modern day Rolex would become collectable, just to many of them around.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 10:30 AM   #21
mrbieler
"TRF" Member

Watch: all about acrylic
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
But would doubt if any modern day Rolex would become collectable, just to many of them around.

Seeing that the new models are delineated by month date codes, I think you're right.

Cursimus Cum Forfex

mrbieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 04:15 PM   #22
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:

JJ you're NOT vintage, but rather ANTIQUE!!!

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 04:24 PM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac67 View Post
JJ you're NOT vintage, but rather ANTIQUE!!!

John.

Old 14 February 2007, 12:11 AM   #24
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
To guarantee a great demand for a Rolex, when one of us gets famous we can walk around showing off our watch, and then folks will want that one. I mean a "Paul Newman" is not known for being worn by Martin Short!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote