The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 February 2007, 02:35 AM   #1
Roman_s
"TRF" Member

Help me identify/estimate this Rolex

I'm trying to sell this rolex on E-bay, but before I do I would want to know
What the type of the rolex is and and the estimated price I should put it up for.
I bought it for $3,400

Heres 2 pictures (yeah the quality isn't great, but excuse that please =))

Face

Band

The rolex has a Yellow gold bezel with little diamonds sitting next to each other thru out the bezel. 4 golden pins at each side of the diamonds.

The time is told my roman numerals and shows the indicators are gold (Indicators, is what i call them) has a little rolex logal at the top of the face. reads "ROLEX Oyster Perpetual DATEJUST" and "Superlative chromterer offically certified" the little dial to change time on the side is golden also with the rolex logo.

the band is made out of steel and gold.

by the description I gave you and pictures if you could do me that favor i'd gladly appreciate it.

thanks in advance =D
Roman_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 03:43 AM   #2
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
Hi Roman,

When did you buy it? Where did you buy it? Has it been serviced recently? Do you have the boxes and papers to go with it?

A little more information from you about the watch's condition overall would be helpful. Is it keeping accurate time? Blurry pictures also don't sell too well on Ebay (including elsewhere). What's it read on the dial? How's the caseback?

Get back to us with a more detailed description if not better pictures and you'll definitely have a clearer take on what you can expect to get for it on an auction site.

Welcome and Good Luck!

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 03:57 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well the clue is on the dial and your post A ROLEX Oyster Perpetual DATEJUST two tone Jubillee bracelet, but pictures is quite poor. Take the bracelet off,and between lugs at 6 o'clock you should see the serial number.And at the 12 o'clock position the watches model reference number,and then we can give you a more accurate appraisal.Now you say you paid $3400 for it I hope you had it checked out.Or at least bought with papers for the watch,before parting with your cash.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 04:00 AM   #4
steve-o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue TT Sub
You need better images...really.

To ask for an opinion based on those images and your write up is nearly impossible.
Old 13 February 2007, 04:03 AM   #5
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
dumb question:
Is there any price guide or anythign to know the value of these watches?
My mother has a 1979 YG DJ and we were wondering how much she may be worth I have all the papers but need to find the box
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 05:01 AM   #6
OysterDavid
Banned

Not so Dumb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
dumb question:
Is there any price guide or anythign to know the value of these watches?
My mother has a 1979 YG DJ and we were wondering how much she may be worth I have all the papers but need to find the box

When I get the itch to figure out just how much timekeeping wealth I've acquired over the years, I turn to the 'bay' and to the selling forums here and elsewhere, and then if I've got the time, I'll review the larger web sites where reliable Rolex watches are featured.

The 'bay' is probably the best indicator as to what a watch is worth in 'real time'. If you see a similiar listing with no sale, then at least to that day's audience, it's overpriced. The dealer pages will show what a bonafide watch vendor thinks they can get for the watch.

I go by the theory, the watch is only worth what someone else will pay for it. Insurance appraisals are only for valuing what might be lost and how much to replace the item. A wholesaler will pay less than someone buying at retail.

And in order to be comfortable with the estimated value, you have to examine your own motives. Are you positioning the watch for sale? Are you filling out a household inventory balance sheet? Are you totaling up your net worth for estate planning purposes?

The only thing I'm really sure of is the price I paid for my Rolex watches many years ago seems reasonable as compared to today's prices.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 05:55 AM   #7
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Ebayer is fast becomming a hard place to sell used Rolex's for a number of reasons. First, to many fakes and badly maintained movements are peddled off on Ebay, Second, buyers tend to buy from people who have had substantial transactions with high ticket items, ie Rolex's, Omega's etc. Third,
alot of jewelers are selling off Rolex inventory as unworn Rolex watches, they appear to be a good price, but Rolex will not honor the warranty from an internet transaction. Lastly, even if you happen to have a mint old Rolex, well maintained, buyers are still skeptical if you have few transactions. The result is you will likely be posting the watch over and over again, and eat up what little you will make on it. I am selling one on Ebay now, and it's stressful.
nko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 06:04 AM   #8
Roman_s
"TRF" Member

Hi, Ok I can't see any serial or model numbers, they are on the inside and I don't have the right tools to open it...w/o damaging it atleast.
I can use dynamite though

Anyway for the poor quality pictures I can use my 10+MP camera, but I forgot it at home and it will be brought back at about 8 PM EST

So what do you want me to take pictures of exactly.

All I see is 455B on the bottom.

If you take the time to read my post it tells you where the
serial and model numbers are.And you can remove the bracelet quite easily,you dont have to take back off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well the clue is on the dial and your post A ROLEX Oyster Perpetual DATEJUST two tone Jubillee bracelet, but pictures is quite poor. Take the bracelet off,and between lugs at 6 o'clock you should see the serial number.And at the 12 o'clock position the watches model reference number,and then we can give you a more accurate appraisal.Now you say you paid $3400 for it I hope you had it checked out.Or at least bought with papers for the watch,before parting with your cash.
Roman_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 06:13 AM   #9
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_s View Post
Hi, Ok I can't see any serial or model numbers, they are on the inside and I don't have the right tools to open it...w/o damaging it atleast.

Anyway for the poor quality pictures I can use my 10+MP camera, but I forgot it at home and it will be brought back at about 8 PM EST

So what do you want me to take pictures of exactly.

All I see is 455B on the bottom.
1. A clear picture of the dial, so as to check out possible fake features.
2. picture of the back of the watch.
3. picture of the crown marking.
4. picture of the inside of the clasp.
5. picture of case side at 12 o'clock, and 6 o'clock to check model and serial number.
6.Any and all paper work that will aid in proving it's authenticity.

Last edited by nko51; 13 February 2007 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: correction
nko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 08:18 AM   #10
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
There's no need to remove the caseback to check the serial number. The serial number is on the outside of the case between the lugs @ 6:00 position, and the case reference (model) number is between the lugs @ 12:00. Remove the bracelet to view them.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 08:50 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Been there, done that....didn't work on a ROLEX!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2007, 01:34 PM   #12
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nko51 View Post
1. A clear picture of the dial, so as to check out possible fake features.
2. picture of the back of the watch.
3. picture of the crown marking.
4. picture of the inside of the clasp.
5. picture of case side at 12 o'clock, and 6 o'clock to check model and serial number.
6.Any and all paper work that will aid in proving it's authenticity.
Generally good recommendation. Although I don't think you should post a picture of the Serial Number. Someone could get hold of a genuine ser. no. and pass off a fake with it.

But clear pics of the dial, clasp and crown would be helpful.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote