The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2007, 05:20 AM   #1
quinson418
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sea-dweller
Bad service from Ben Bridge and RSC

This is going to be a length story, wanted to write about it for a long time but never got the chance. Here it is.

I walked into Ben Bridge on a Sunday trying to look into a Rolex GMT Master II and some Omega Seamasters. Apparently, the sales person was busy with a customer so I waited patiently. Another sale person came by, being nice, showing me the Seamasters but apparently she didn't have too much knowledge into the watches, so I still had to wait for the first sales that I was waiting for in the first place. After a while, I was able to talk to him about my interest in a GMT Master II. Initially, he didn't even want to show it to me, until I said that I wanted to see it and see how the it feels. He gave me this impression that he didn't really want to do all this work for me but he had to, so he took the watch out. I took off my Sea-Dweller to try the GMT on, he took the SD from me and I thought he was going to slightly put it down on top of a clothed tray or something. Instead, he didn't really treat my watch that good, he just naturally landed it on top of the show case, without anything to protect it. I myself always places my watch on top of a cloth carefully to prevent it from scratching so I wasn't really happy when I saw that happen.

Then we go into a discussion about the Omega Seamaster having a different type of gas valve than the Sea-Dweller. And I asked him when you need to use the gas valve on the Seamaster since it is manual. He told me you have to release it everytime you finish diving. It sounded really weird to me, so I questioned, and here is the dialog:

Me: How do you determine need to use the gas valve for the Seamaster since it is manual?

Ben: Everytime after you finish diving. (Sounds weird to me since the Submariner don't even have a valve for the same depth)

Me: Everytime you finish diving?

Ben: Of course, that is why they made it, even your SD has it.

Me: The gas valve in my SD is not manual, it is automatic.

Ben: No, it is manual, didn't you get the toolset for it? That is what it is used for?

Me: The toolset is for the gas valve? How does it for on the gas valve?

Ben: The toolset is just to open the gas valve to release the pressure. Didn't they tell you when you got your watch? Where did you get your watch?

Me: I got it from China but the toolset is used to help extend the bracelet so it can fit on top of a diver's suit, nothing to do with the gas valve.

Ben: No, the toolset is used to open the gas valve, I sell watches, I would know.

Me: (Feeling frastrated) Well, how can you open the gas valve with the toolset then?

Ben: I don't have one with me right now but I am sure that is what the toolset is used for.

After that, I didn't even want to talk to him about anything anymore. Just seems like he doesn't have much knowledge in what he is dealing with and I am just going to waste my time looking at watches with his guidance. I just have this feeling, how on earth can they not know information like that?

You release the pressure everytime after you dive on your Omega Seamaster? That just sounds so weird, that just causes more trouble. And at this time, I still don't know how it is manual and how would the divers know when to release the helium gas?

Second, how can he say the SD toolset is for opening the gas valve, that is the worst thing I have ever heard from an AD. Not knowing your stuff is bad, but generating false information is worse.

I swear I wasn't even trying to throw out the knowledge I have on Rolex watches, I just go in with a sincere attitude trying to look for a watch that smiles to me yet my experience with Ben Bridge just suck. I definitely had better service in China, not to speak they have way better knowledge.

I have walked into a lot of ADs, and most of the time, they just want to sell a watch to you and call it good, really no service whatsoever. I am sure this doesn't represent the whole population of them but this has already given me bad impression about them.

To be continued ... with my experience with RSC. Really want to see how you guys think, and how I approached it wrongly. Please share some experiences with un-eduated (on Rolex material) ADs.
quinson418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 05:26 AM   #2
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I'd walk back in with my toolset and ask him for his assistance. Tell him you will buy from him all the tim esince he is so wise, then hand him the toolset and watch him try to get out of that one. He may tell you that you have a fake Rolex!

Honestly, people want to appear to be experts but you never know who you are talking to. I have had folks profess to know plenty about the military, photography, and computers (my expert areas) and they know nothing but they sure sound like they know what they are talking about. If the salesman is superior, he is in charge of the meeting, and you will buy from him because he is the top dog. Honestly, would you even buy a watch from someone who didn't know a thing about the product, even if it was not the watch's fault?

Sounds to me like he sold socks last week and this is his new job.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 05:34 AM   #3
watchdawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Sounds like another self-proclaimed expert to me. There is no such thing in my mind as an expert because there is always something new to learn. I also would take the toolset into him and ask him to show you how. Just to watch him squirm.
watchdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 05:35 AM   #4
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
What are you talking about? So you have NEVER opened the valve on your SD with the tool??!??!?! You will damage your watch!

GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 05:36 AM   #5
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
BTW, you are aware that you have to turn the second time zone hand in a GMT master a full 24 hrs every time you fly....right?
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 05:37 AM   #6
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdawg View Post
I also would take the toolset into him and ask him to show you how. Just to watch him squirm.
Just don't let him demonstrate it on your SD. I can see him now, trying to pry the escape valve open while sweat beads on his forehead.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 05:45 AM   #7
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I happend to know some AD sale persons, most of they make a little money, and they often move from sale job to sale job. Many of them can't afford a Rolex themself. I like chatting with them but don't expect much technical details.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 05:51 AM   #8
mike
"TRF" Member

LOL! I've read a lot of stories like that. I know a couple of people that as a condition of sale on an SS Daytona were told they HAD to have their initials engraved on the back of the watch. (Ben Bridges)

One gentleman simply pulled out his cell phone and called Rolex on the spot! Needless to say he got his watch with no engraving!!

The last time I was in Vegas I walked into a rather large AD -- the one that starts with a T-- wearing my 1675 gilt dial, and a young salesman asks me if I want to get a new watch "to replace that old thing"!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 06:00 AM   #9
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
The scary thing is that there are buyers that probably think he was an excellent and knawlijbal salesman.

"everytime you go diving..." wtf?

Maybe his water is helium rich.

By the way, Quinson; the toolset is for removing the bracelet and adjusting it... your diver's extension is manually operated.

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 06:18 AM   #10
quinson418
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
LOL! I've read a lot of stories like that. I know a couple of people that as a condition of sale on an SS Daytona were told they HAD to have their initials engraved on the back of the watch. (Ben Bridges)

One gentleman simply pulled out his cell phone and called Rolex on the spot! Needless to say he got his watch with no engraving!!

The last time I was in Vegas I walked into a rather large AD -- the one that starts with a T-- wearing my 1675 gilt dial, and a young salesman asks me if I want to get a new watch "to replace that old thing"!
That is just funny, to replace a 1675? Why would anyone want to do that.
How did you reply back?
Old 14 February 2007, 06:20 AM   #11
quinson418
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
The scary thing is that there are buyers that probably think he was an excellent and knawlijbal salesman.

"everytime you go diving..." wtf?

Maybe his water is helium rich.

By the way, Quinson; the toolset is for removing the bracelet and adjusting it... your diver's extension is manually operated.
Thanks, I guess that is what I wanted to say.
Helium rich...haha.

I still don't get the gas valve for the Seamaster, when should one know when to release or what not?
Just weird, so I guess when the watch is about the pop, you would know?
Please education me on this, someone.....please, I am stuck.

Thanks.
Old 14 February 2007, 06:26 AM   #12
Blue Bull
Banned

How I am treated at the AD,is not important.All thats important is the price,I buy where I get the best price.I couldnt care less,if the salesperson knows everything or nothing ,about the subject.I try to do my homework the best I can ,before buying.When it comes to buying,only the price matters ...
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 06:48 AM   #13
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinson418 View Post
I still don't get the gas valve for the Seamaster, when should one know when to release or what not?
Just weird, so I guess when the watch is about the pop, you would know?
Please education me on this, someone.....please, I am stuck.

Thanks.
No need to feel stuck... you're already wearing the Rolex.

Are the helium escape valves manually operated on the Seamasters? I guess you'd operate it in the pressure chamber after a SAT dive. When you see them artificially reducing your pressure. AFTER A SAT DIVE are pretty much the key words here.

Old 14 February 2007, 07:04 AM   #14
ginzo

Watch: GMT/1675 Exp/1016
Ben Bridge has 70 stores in 12 states. I looked it up because I hadn't heard of them in the Northeast. 70 stores, they must be like the McDonalds of Jewelery stores. So this watch guy who is a jerk is your generic retail sales clerk that so happens to be selling watches this year.
ginzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 07:14 AM   #15
tonelar
"TRF" Member

I can't wait for the RSC part of the story...

Old 14 February 2007, 07:14 AM   #16
HK33
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Yes, the helium valve on Seamasters is manual.

quinson418: see this thread on the helium valve: http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=12683

Basically, if you are not a professional diver decompressing in a dry chamber after diving to depths that require breathing helium mixtures then it is just for looks and because it is cool.
HK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 07:15 AM   #17
quinson418
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
How I am treated at the AD,is not important.All thats important is the price,I buy where I get the best price.I couldnt care less,if the salesperson knows everything or nothing ,about the subject.I try to do my homework the best I can ,before buying.When it comes to buying,only the price matters ...
That is very true. When I boils down to the end, the price is all it matters, assuming the product is authentic.

Like oldman2005 said, the sales really don't earn all that much, and the turnover is huge, so really can't expect much.

I really wonder if Rolex even cares about the quality of their "Office Rolex Retailers"...
Old 14 February 2007, 07:58 AM   #18
OysterDavid
Banned

Lowered expectations

Most of us here are WIS types...someone here recently said one of the attributes of a WIS is knowing by memory all of the Rolex model numbers, but forgetting one's anniversary date to the consternation of one's spouse.

I'm close to that category...I can recite my Rolex model numbers and know what the numbers mean. I almost have the phone number of the Dallas RSC memorized, yet have to think twice about my own cell phone number.

Yet there have been stories TRF members going into 'mall' type AD's and being less than thrilled with the knowledge and sometime service attributes of the sales help in those places. I suspect many of us, like myself, enjoy browsing fine watches. Sometimes we probably would just like to look in peace, at other times we might want to 'try something on' for fit. How serious we are about buying another watch is up for question.

I'm willing to accept the fact most of these chain stores, and perhaps some of the smaller jewelry stores have sales help that probably doesn't make a whole lot from a salary standpoint, and most likely live off of sales commissions that have to come from selling a very wide variety of jewelry products...in other words, diamonds, to pearls to wedding bands to any one of perhaps 15 or so varieties of watches. I also suspect the majority of these sales people in total earn far less than some of us who have the financial means to indulge this expensive hobby.

So when I land in one of these places, my expectation for knowledge of my particular favorite brand from a salesperson is limited. I figure that if this is my hobby and passion, then I'm the one responsible for mining the knowledge that enhances my Rolex owning experience. I find it hard to hold these 'generalist' sales people to the high learning standards I set for myself.

And I also realize that we here in the WIS community are the minority of watch buyers and probably Rolex buyers as well. We've all shared stories of Rolex owners who could care less about style, bracelet, accuracy, servicing, dial choices...they just want for whatever their reasons to own and wear a Rolex. If it runs, great. Twice a year in many places they'll make an adjustment for Daylight Savings Time, at other times of the year they'll advance the date for months with less than 31 days...but that's pretty much it for their watch owning and wearing experiences.

If I truly wanted the ultimate sales experience with someone who shared the same Rolex passion as I, then I'd seek out a smaller AD where I'm dealing with one of the owners. But then, holy cow!, what about negotiating that coveted disount??!! Dealing with the smaller more learned vendor might impact that other passion we all share...getting that new Rolex for as close to wholesale as we can. Lord knows, we share numerous posting about how much we can reach for in discounting, and where and how we obtained the lowest prossible price.

Well, I for one think there's a conflict here. For items that I want the total experience of strokes, knowledge and validation, then I expect to pay more. For shere volume and selection, I lean towards the mall type environment, but my expectations are for courteous, polite service only, with perhaps a slightly larger discount.

I'm not willing or ready to 'dis those who work the retail mall stores only because they dare to present themselves as fully authorized Rolex vendors for me and fully knowledgeable sellers of diamonds, rubys and saphires for another customers. And if they have to 'fudge' a bit or pretend they know something they don't in order to make a sale to the 'average' customer, then, hey, more power to them. Retail selling in the mass market is a crummy job where ever in the world your trying to hustle out a living. Truly, the more appropriate answer for one of us when someone doesn't know all of our Rolex questions is 'I don't know...and I'll try and find out", but in the pressure of trying to make a sale and figuring out if indeed I'm serious about buying, I fully recognize that's not always going to be possible in the mass market environment.

So, in conclusion, I urge readers to lighten up and cut some slack. If you don't like the way you're being treated, then just leave. There are lots and lots of places that will sell you a Rolex.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 08:33 AM   #19
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is just funny, to replace a 1675? Why would anyone want to do that.
How did you reply back?
LOL! With a Rolex history lesson. Boy was he glad to see me leave!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 08:42 AM   #20
quinson418
"TRF" Member

OysterDavid, thanks for your post, I have learned from it. Your post is like the type of reply I wanted to see from my original post. Thanks for your time on educating most of us, I really appreciate it.

Sorry about it, but what does WIS stand for?
I have always wondered.
Old 14 February 2007, 08:44 AM   #21
quinson418
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
LOL! With a Rolex history lesson. Boy was he glad to see me leave!
I am always open to learn more about Rolex watches, that is why I am here, haha.
Old 14 February 2007, 08:52 AM   #22
OysterDavid
Banned

WIS=watch idiot savant. It was recently and humorously defined as what we are...obsessive to the point of extreme about our watches. You know how we are...'oh no, my new watch is 1/2 second off after leaving it dial slanted sideways on a towel overnight after flexing my are 20 times to finish a beer', or 'while examining my Rolex dial under the microscope I noticed that the font on the letter x is different from the font on the warranty paper', or how about 'I had to spend an extra hour at my psychiatrist's office because I was conflicted about removing the hologram sticker'.

Or spending hours upon hours here monitoring these posts while our friends and families think we've passed on to the great AD in the sky.

That's a WIS.

Last edited by OysterDavid; 14 February 2007 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: stupid spelling mistake
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 09:13 AM   #23
quinson418
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
WIS=watch idiot savant. It was recently and humorously defined as what we are...obsessive to the point of extreme about our watches. You know how we are...'oh no, my new watch is 1/2 second off after leaving it dial slanted sideways on a towel overnight after flexing my are 20 times to finish a beer', or 'while examining my Rolex dial under the microscope I noticed that the font on the letter x is different from the font on the warranty paper', or how about 'I had to spend an extra hour at my psychiatrist's office because I was conflicted about removing the hologram sticker'.

Or spending hours upon hours here monitoring these posts while our friends and families think we've passed on to the great AD in the sky.

That's a WIS.
That is so true.
My fiance keep telling my friends all I do at home is read the Rolex Forum, and care about a watch more than anything else. It got crazier after I actually own one, it just suprises me.
Old 14 February 2007, 09:15 AM   #24
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Personally I would have end the conversation when he said the toolset is for the HEV and when he claimed that he sell watches, he should know, I'd rather deal with someone who doesn't know the technical details rather than someone that provides me with the wrong information.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 09:18 AM   #25
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Really want to see how you guys think, and how I approached it wrongly. Please share some experiences with un-eduated (on Rolex material) ADs.
I'd focus on whether the selling price of the watch was attractive, and give no consideration to the sales staff's lack of knowledge.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 09:26 AM   #26
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post

That's a WIS.
David,

That's the best WIS definition I have ever heard. The "sad" thing is that I can relate to it, and I'm pretty sure everyone else on this fine forum can too.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
A. Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 11:26 AM   #27
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Hillarious!

Old 14 February 2007, 01:23 PM   #28
henry2703
"TRF" Member

yep.. it is actually surprising how little a lot fo the sales people know about the watch.

When i was shopping for my sub, there wasn't many around. so most of the store i go to didn't have. I resort to looking at the SD.

Many times i ask them how the extension link works.. none of them could tell me... I had to discover it by mistake eventually... before i stumble onto TRF
Old 14 February 2007, 02:40 PM   #29
Blown Wide Open
"TRF" Member

Watch: All with a crown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
I'd focus on whether the selling price of the watch was attractive, and give no consideration to the sales staff's lack of knowledge.
Amen, whenever I purchase a car, watch, or clothing, I assume I know more than the salesman that I'm dealing with.

Iy they were great negotiators, for the most part, they wouldn't be selling cars, watches, or clothing.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all sales people in said professions...just most.

PAtrick

Instagram: El_Diablo_Rosso
Blown Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2007, 02:46 PM   #30
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Maybe I should start up a Rolex Bussiness!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote