The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 30 September 2014, 06:50 AM   #121
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Please fill me in as to why an issue from 2009 is getting play in 2014.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 07:01 AM   #122
MonBK
Banned

Because the same practice is still being used.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 08:49 AM   #123
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
By the same seller.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 09:55 AM   #124
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Because the same practice is still being used.
Thx. Well shame on them. Hope someone sents them a link to this thread.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 11:32 AM   #125
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
Thx. Well shame on them. Hope someone sents them a link to this thread.
I did last week, and this was their response:

Dear knappo1307,

Thanks for the email and message. Always good to see excitement about beckertime on TRF, lol. I appreciate the heads up.

have a great weekend,
Matt

- beckertime
Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

Respond

To: beckertime
Subject: Other: knappo1307 sent a message about ROLEX MENS 2TONE 18K GOLD/STAINLESS STEEL DATEJUST DATE CHAMPAGNE WATCH #201172555189
Sent Date: Sep-19-14 09:21:20 PDT

Dear beckertime,

Big discussion about your store going on right now on TRF. Not this watch however. Just thought I'd share with you:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...03#post5272003

- knappo1307
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 11:51 AM   #126
Old Expat Beast

He's only posted on the forum 16 times since he joined in 2009, apparently mostly to defend himself against criticism.
Old 30 September 2014, 11:57 AM   #127
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

My take on the response I got is, he doesn't care or respect the opinions of this forum.....
Old 30 September 2014, 12:30 PM   #128
LAFlyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1803, 1500
Full Discosure: I have spoken with Matt Becker

Full Discosure: I have spoken with Matt Becker several times. He is a very agreeable person and is someone who is easy to like.

I wish I had never done business with him... we would still be friends.
LAFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 04:49 PM   #129
okc1
"TRF" Member

I bought a watch from Beckertime before joining this forum. Feeling quite edgy after reading the treads regarding BT since.

So I brought my watch(head and bracelet) to HongKong RSC. After preliminary inspection, they took my watch in. Since the watch was originally purchased in the US and not in HK, thus took them approx. 2 weeks to check it fully(or may be they were just too busy). Anyway, the waiting was excruciating, and what a relieve when they finally called up and quote me the price for overhaul, new parts available etc.

The HK RSC people said they will not issue any authenticity paperwork, but they provided a service receipt instead. Is that mean I am ok with my purchase? Sorry for asking this kind of question. I'm a rolex newbie, just wanna have the experts in this forum to get this off my mind.
okc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 04:52 PM   #130
Old Expat Beast

Yes thats normal for RSC HK. If the watch was not bought locally they send the serial number to Geneva for verification. Everything is fine.
Old 30 September 2014, 08:09 PM   #131
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
I am guessing this is your auction here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ladies-Rolex...-/141391782360

The description lists aftermarket band with original clasp
That sure looks like full disclosure up front to me rather than some attempt to mislead the customer. All you have to do is read the item description which is not fine print that is buried in the listing in a font size nearly impossible to read.

Quote:
BeckerTime is proud to offer this gorgeous GENUINE ROLEX timepiece. It is a Ladies Rolex Stainless Steel Datejust Date Watch w/White MOP Diamond & Bezel that has been fitted with a brand new custom aftermarket oyster band.

It is in SUPER EXCELLENT CONDITION and comes with the Beckertime 100% lifetime trade-up guarantee!

Don’t let this one get away … Buying a Genuine Rolex with diamonds in this good of condition at this price doesn’t happen often … This type, if all factory, would sell brand new for more than $20,000 today.
The only thing that could be remotely misleading is the first sentence where it specifies Genuine Rolex, but the second sentence makes it clear he is talking about the watch head and not the entire timepiece. This one seems more like the buyer bidding without reading than wrongdoing on the part of Beckertime.

I have never done business with Beckertime, but it seems they are up front about the aftermarket parts and are also quick to make disputes right by the buyer. I really don't see the issue here.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 08:15 PM   #132
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okc1 View Post
I bought a watch from Beckertime before joining this forum. Feeling quite edgy after reading the treads regarding BT since.

So I brought my watch(head and bracelet) to HongKong RSC. After preliminary inspection, they took my watch in. Since the watch was originally purchased in the US and not in HK, thus took them approx. 2 weeks to check it fully(or may be they were just too busy). Anyway, the waiting was excruciating, and what a relieve when they finally called up and quote me the price for overhaul, new parts available etc.

The HK RSC people said they will not issue any authenticity paperwork, but they provided a service receipt instead. Is that mean I am ok with my purchase? Sorry for asking this kind of question. I'm a rolex newbie, just wanna have the experts in this forum to get this off my mind.
If Rolex took the watch in and is performing service, you can rest easily that you have a genuine timepiece.
Old 30 September 2014, 08:18 PM   #133
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBaker3 View Post
+1

I bought a 16753 from BeckerTime earlier this year; no problems other than they take 4 days to ship after receiving your money....their policy.

Everything on the watch was correct including the bracelet. Great price and I would do business with them again.

Hope the OP gets it straightened out and we get the complete details of what the real problem was....

This is a normal practice for any company when certain types of transactions are used, especially credit cards as it reduces the risk of a disputed charge after shipment for the seller.
Old 1 October 2014, 12:42 AM   #134
okc1
"TRF" Member

Thanks Adam and Roger for your reply!
okc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 07:00 AM   #135
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
That sure looks like full disclosure up front to me rather than some attempt to mislead the customer. All you have to do is read the item description which is not fine print that is buried in the listing in a font size nearly impossible to read.

The only thing that could be remotely misleading is the first sentence where it specifies Genuine Rolex, but the second sentence makes it clear he is talking about the watch head and not the entire timepiece. This one seems more like the buyer bidding without reading than wrongdoing on the part of Beckertime.

I have never done business with Beckertime, but it seems they are up front about the aftermarket parts and are also quick to make disputes right by the buyer. I really don't see the issue here.
Roger... The current issue is that the clasp was not original as it was stated. Basically, the debate is whether it was an accident by Beckertime or common practice for them to use an aftermarket clasp and try and pass it for original.
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 10:03 AM   #136
LAFlyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1803, 1500
When you bolded certain words you make it look like the aftermarket band was the purpose of the sentence.

This is how it reads:

BeckerTime is proud to offer this gorgeous GENUINE ROLEX timepiece. It is a Ladies Rolex Stainless Steel Datejust Date Watch w/White MOP Diamond & Bezel that has been fitted with a brand new custom aftermarket oyster band.

My contention is that the ad is worded and displayed to do two things:

1. Downplay the HUGE NEGATIVE QUALITY the buyer should be aware of.
2. Muddy the water for the non-savvy. It almost sounds like a REALLY GOOD thing to have a brand new custom aftermarket oyster band Some people might easily assume OYSTER is a Rolex trademark.

To be totally HONEST and FAIR it should read this way

Quote:
BeckerTime is proud to offer this gorgeous GENUINE ROLEX watch head. It is a Ladies Rolex Stainless Steel Datejust Date Watch w/White MOP Diamond & Bezel that has been fitted with a Non-original, Non-Rolex, inexpensive, new custom aftermarket band.
LAFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 01:41 PM   #137
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFlyer View Post
When you bolded certain words you make it look like the aftermarket band was the purpose of the sentence.

This is how it reads:

My contention is that the ad is worded and displayed to do two things:

1. Downplay the HUGE NEGATIVE QUALITY the buyer should be aware of.
2. Muddy the water for the non-savvy. It almost sounds like a REALLY GOOD thing to have a brand new custom aftermarket oyster band Some people might easily assume OYSTER is a Rolex trademark.

To be totally HONEST and FAIR it should read this way
Don't forget the dial... At least the band can be swapped out quite easily... changing a dial... not so easy!
Old 1 October 2014, 02:04 PM   #138
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
That sure looks like full disclosure up front to me rather than some attempt to mislead the customer.

......... I really don't see the issue here.

LOL. Seriously? Are you a shill for Beckertime or what

That description was a CLEAR attempt at wordsmithing/deception with words. Sad. "Genuine Rolex" in one sentence, and then "aftermarket" in the next....if that's not the definition of DOUBLE TALK....I don't know what is.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 04:13 PM   #139
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Refurbished is the most accurate way to describe the watch... not genuine.
Old 2 October 2014, 02:06 AM   #140
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayBuyer View Post
Just out of spite, I may purchase 2 or 3 more from them and document all my findings of anymore counterfeit parts being used.
please do. I would be interested to read your findings.
Old 2 October 2014, 02:47 AM   #141
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
The bottom line to me is this. There is no "free lunch" with high end watches. Only fools but fakes and trust no one. It is like the stock market. There are enough high end watch experts out there that any arbitrage will quickly be rectified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 04:47 AM   #142
Chilgrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Oyster Date
I was pleased with Beckertime's service when I bought a Date using ebay. Love my watch and it has been certified genuine here in the UK.
Chilgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2014, 11:27 PM   #143
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANNAMILGAUSS View Post

I have learned if you want a watch with ZERO issues go to an AD dealer end of story. Otherwise their is Something about the watch, it's accys or whatever that has deminished it's value so it can be sold at a discount. If you can accept this that is great but sellers need to be upfront also.

The SAME issues can/do exist with purchases made from dealers and trusted sellers here on TRF, that's solely because Rolex let it go out the door that way. I have bought MULTIPLE watches from trusted sellers here BRAND NEW IN BOX - not used - complete with warranty card. There have been ZERO issues (some are going on 5 years now). Your theory about 'something with the watch is substandard therefore it warrants a discount' is just plain wrong.....sorry.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 09:31 AM   #144
jeff hess
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
Refurbished is the most accurate way to describe the watch... not genuine.

Interesting. Not taking issue just wondering why you would think the word "refurbished" would mean not genuine?

We sell everything in our estate case as "Refurbished". in our stores this means simply "fixed, buffed, timed" etc.

Interesting that refurbished and also I have noted the word "restored" often means to some people "fake".

Again, curious, not taking issue.

Jeff
jeff hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2014, 10:44 AM   #145
thewatchguy1

Sorry to hear that, sad story.
thewatchguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2014, 12:17 PM   #146
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewatchguy1 View Post
Sorry to hear that, sad story.
Way to get that post count up.....
Old 18 October 2014, 03:10 PM   #147
pacific17
"TRF" Member

Watch: G-Shock DW003
A good read. A thread resurrected from 2009. I have seen most of Beckertime's items on eBay and it can be misleading like everything else in the retail market. Most of the commercials and infomercials are leading. I would not be surprised if someone sues Beckertime for false advertising. Anyway, Happy Weekend everyone!
Old 18 October 2014, 04:53 PM   #148
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff hess View Post
Interesting. Not taking issue just wondering why you would think the word "refurbished" would mean not genuine?

We sell everything in our estate case as "Refurbished". in our stores this means simply "fixed, buffed, timed" etc.

Interesting that refurbished and also I have noted the word "restored" often means to some people "fake".

Again, curious, not taking issue.

Jeff
To be quite honest, when you are adding aftermarket parts, there is no perfect word to describe the watch. The best way to describe a customized watch is by saying, Genuine Rolex restored with aftermarket parts.

I did not mean that refurbished meant fake... I meant that it is more accurate to describe customized watches as "Refurbished Rolex" than "Genuine Rolex". At least refurbished gives the idea that the watch has been tinkered with in some way or parts have been replaced. Genuine Rolex implies the watch was born the way it is listed. At least that's my opinion...
Old 18 October 2014, 10:27 PM   #149
kooltzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5512
People should just be precise then there are no misunderstandings. So for example, if a dial has been redone, I need to know exactly what was redone. Is the plate the original? Is the base colour and the writing original? Has it only been relumed or some of the text repainted where there were chips or was the whole dial reprinted or repainted? Seller should just say everything precicesly as it is from the beginning like i.e "dial relumed and repainted on original coated plate".
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2014, 01:57 PM   #150
Chelseafan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Don't know anything about Beckertime, just know that I would never buy anything off Fleebay...
...yeah , it's really hard to read feedback and rules and stick to them.
Chelseafan is offline   Reply With Quote