The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18 February 2017, 01:23 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Value Questions of Papers vs. Service

OK, I know there are always a lot of questions about value in regards to box and papers.

And I read one thread recently where a lot of people commented that simply getting it serviced would keep the value the same as it if it came with original papers.

I would argue that it should actually add value. After all, papers for an older watch, out of warranty are basically worthless except to the collector or to guarantee authenticity.

I started thinking about this because a few weeks ago I sent out my 16170 (3186) coke to get serviced by Rolex. It has the original box, but no papers.

As I have greatly slown down with my watch flipping and recently increased my car flipping (way more damaging), saving and collecting funds for my next car move is my priority.

So I have thought about simply selling off some of the watches with value in my collection. Not getting a heck of a lot for my Bremont or Breitling.
And even though I am not going to sell off any of my Omegas, their resale is weak as well. That said, its not really worth it to move any of these.

This leaves me with a few Rolex watches that I simply don't wear to often. I will keep at least one, maybe two, but I prefer the funds.

But I digress......

I would have to imagine that my 16170 fully authenticated, water tested and now with a brandy new warranty, would actually be of more value than the same watch with original papers, but without warranty.

I do realize that ultimately, the market will decide what I can sell it for. But I am curious as to what the consensus here is.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote