The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 April 2017, 12:36 AM   #1
Keanuchan
"TRF" Member

5205G-10, any thoughts?

apart from 5712, this one is stunning too (my personal view). Anyone can give some comments about this model? Sorry, bascially i have no idea what i am asking for but it looks very good (within my budget...sigh)
Keanuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 12:46 AM   #2
KarlS
Banned

I like all the 5205's. Nice scalloped cases. Bit thick which makes them wear small. Pre owned prices on grey and black dial pretty soft.

The R...I thought I wouldn't be able to read it but so far no problem. The moon phase gets hidden a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5288.jpg (75.0 KB, 306 views)
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 12:52 AM   #3
Keanuchan
"TRF" Member

thanks. :)
Old 21 April 2017, 01:22 AM   #4
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Hard to read.
Old 21 April 2017, 01:28 AM   #5
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

they have definitely grown on me over the years. not my favorite patek annual calendar, but its an attractive watch with a nice case
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 02:03 AM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Nice but would much prefer this one. 5396G

GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 02:06 AM   #7
martinr
"TRF" Member

I had the RG black dial version, impossible to read in sunlight and I never could get the watch to sit properly on my wrist. Make sure you are OK with the pierced lugs also.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 02:56 AM   #8
Keanuchan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
I had the RG black dial version, impossible to read in sunlight and I never could get the watch to sit properly on my wrist. Make sure you are OK with the pierced lugs also.
thank you so much for the advice. :)
Old 21 April 2017, 02:56 AM   #9
Keanuchan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Nice but would much prefer this one. 5396G

it is also very nice. :)
Old 21 April 2017, 03:51 AM   #10
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
I would say that the 5205R-010 is my all time favourite watch, I absolutely love it and it was that watch which convinced me to spend what I used to consider 'silly amounts for a watch'. Once I'd seen it I stood no chance.

I find the legibility is actually fine for me, maybe it's because I'm in the UK not California so have less trouble with sun reflections(!). But certainly never had any trouble with that, and the day, date and month are laid out intuitively in the way you would actually read them in a single line rather than spread across the dial as per the 5396 for example. I think that's a real bonus for daily usability as I sign lots of documents and always check the date so it's convenient.

The traditional watch style matched with the thicker case is quite interesting and along with the concave case and styled lugs I think it gives a modern touch to a classic style, I am relatively young and struggled to find a PP that looked right on my wrist (excluding sports watches) the 5205 looks just superb, and for me personally the black and rose gold combination is quite spectacular. Contrary to the previous poster this watch sits perfectly on my wrist, ultra comfortable and I even wear it when spending long days going on family holiday through airports etc. Additionally I have worn it daily the majority of the time and it's not taken a single scratch or ding which is also worth noting as a good bonus. I think the concaved case helps it avoid scratches perhaps?

As you can tell I am a huge fan of this watch, it won't be for everyone as it's a little more modern in design than a more traditional execution of the PP annual calendar of which there are a number of options, but if something a bit more modern but still dressy is what you are after it doesn't get much better than this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1718.jpg (134.0 KB, 273 views)
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 04:44 AM   #11
selpo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
I would say that the 5205R-010 is my all time favourite watch, I absolutely love it and it was that watch which convinced me to spend what I used to consider 'silly amounts for a watch'. Once I'd seen it I stood no chance.

I find the legibility is actually fine for me, maybe it's because I'm in the UK not California so have less trouble with sun reflections(!). But certainly never had any trouble with that, and the day, date and month are laid out intuitively in the way you would actually read them in a single line rather than spread across the dial as per the 5396 for example. I think that's a real bonus for daily usability as I sign lots of documents and always check the date so it's convenient.

The traditional watch style matched with the thicker case is quite interesting and along with the concave case and styled lugs I think it gives a modern touch to a classic style, I am relatively young and struggled to find a PP that looked right on my wrist (excluding sports watches) the 5205 looks just superb, and for me personally the black and rose gold combination is quite spectacular. Contrary to the previous poster this watch sits perfectly on my wrist, ultra comfortable and I even wear it when spending long days going on family holiday through airports etc. Additionally I have worn it daily the majority of the time and it's not taken a single scratch or ding which is also worth noting as a good bonus. I think the concaved case helps it avoid scratches perhaps?

As you can tell I am a huge fan of this watch, it won't be for everyone as it's a little more modern in design than a more traditional execution of the PP annual calendar of which there are a number of options, but if something a bit more modern but still dressy is what you are after it doesn't get much better than this!
That is a great photo! You captured that dial perfectly! My favorite AC as well.
selpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 05:10 AM   #12
Keanuchan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post

Excellent!!! thank you so much for your sharing!! 5320 is fab too but out of the budget, 5205 really draws my attention..... :)
Old 21 April 2017, 05:29 AM   #13
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Love the RG with black dial, probably one of my favorite dressier PP, but needs to be tried on as it wears special as has been said
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 12:58 PM   #14
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Owned the G black dial. Wonderful dial, pretty poor legibility (on the black dial), and couldn't get used to the proportions (ratio of dial space vs. thickness). Still an alluring watch...
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 12:59 PM   #15
cervantes
"TRF" Member

The RG black dial is sweet looking though...
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 02:02 PM   #16
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Wanted very much to like it. Beautiful watch in pictures (i.e. Perfect lighting)

I really don't like the 24 hour scale being covered up be the center post.

Obviously buy at a steep discount