The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 April 2017, 05:13 AM   #1
Keanuchan
"TRF" Member

5230G-001- any thoughts?

Not sure if anyone has this or any comments about this model? many thanks!
Keanuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 12:38 PM   #2
KarlS
Banned

Ticks boxes for simplicity of dial and legibility. Not sure about ivory dial with white metal. Would have been great as enamel to differentiate. Still cogitating. Credit card still in wallet
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 03:16 PM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Is it possible you're referencing the 5320G and not the 5230G Karl? I know I did a double take at the title given all the attention the new PC has received.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 03:21 PM   #4
Donjo
"TRF" Member

I love the center part of the dial, much better to me than the older version
Donjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 03:44 PM   #5
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Is it possible you're referencing the 5320G and not the 5230G Karl? I know I did a double take at the title given all the attention the new PC has received.
flip dyslexia is a huge problem!!! Nobody even thinks about the WT hence the eyes play tricks!!!
Old 26 April 2017, 03:49 PM   #6
KarlS
Banned

To the OP...now that I have correctly read your post....ignore thread 2 written on thetreadmill at 5:00 am....

as for the 5230...think its awful...of the 2016 releases and all the photos I took...on ref;lection there was only 1 of the 5230 and it was blurred!! Hard enough to read and they make the case smaller. The guilloche is rather a case of lets try and do every variant known to man and a bit incoherent. As I am also the minority (not a fan of the forum favourite 5110 either) I am sure it will get a strong following!
Old 26 April 2017, 04:10 PM   #7
Keanuchan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
To the OP...now that I have correctly read your post....ignore thread 2 written on thetreadmill at 5:00 am....

as for the 5230...think its awful...of the 2016 releases and all the photos I took...on ref;lection there was only 1 of the 5230 and it was blurred!! Hard enough to read and they make the case smaller. The guilloche is rather a case of lets try and do every variant known to man and a bit incoherent. As I am also the minority (not a fan of the forum favourite 5110 either) I am sure it will get a strong following!
haha, love your comments. I want to find some world clock models, like 5131 but just way of my budget..... sigh
Old 26 April 2017, 08:13 PM   #8
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Not a big fan of this one, but then again not a huge fan of PP world timers, except of course the 5131 series, saw the R in real and they are special indeed, but the other WT from them don't really do it for me
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 09:46 PM   #9
KarlS
Banned

Arnaud...only because it's rare!! If it was a fine a dozen bet you half people wouldn't even look at it!!!

Aware the pic is not the G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5880.jpg (148.8 KB, 397 views)
Old 26 April 2017, 10:31 PM   #10
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
i think a beauty

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 11:03 PM   #11
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Arnaud...only because it's rare!! If it was a fine a dozen bet you half people wouldn't even look at it!!!

I agree 100%, Karl. Some people want things that are presumed rare and difficult to obtain, whereas others desire more common items that will allow them to be part of an "owners club". The 5131 is an example of the first and the SS Sub (or a DJ) is a good example of the second.

There is also a supply/demand price point where once it is past that price point, it is no longer desirable, because it is not worth the asking price.

As for the 5230, the guilloche dial is a work of art that not many appreciate, but I feel is the highlight of this piece.
jon_jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 11:37 PM   #12
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

5230G-001- any thoughts?

I was actually quite impressed with the dial when I saw it in person.... now, would I buy that over a 5130P or 5110P, no, probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 April 2017, 03:01 AM   #13
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Of course Karl I agree totally, the rarity and difficulty to obtain are very appealing, that's how Rolex made the Daytona become popular, make it very hard to get in SS, in France it was always 1 year or more for the SS, before they did that the sales were terrible. And of course you always pay for exclusivity and rarity, like a Voutilainen for example )-;
Old 27 April 2017, 03:27 AM   #14
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I think the 5230 is very nice. I really like the case, I prefer it over the 5110 and 5130. The guilloche looks good in person, although I do prefer the dial of the 5110, and I'd put it ahead of the 5130.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 03:40 AM   #15
KarlS
Banned

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=5230

Here is a thread that covers same question
Old 27 April 2017, 04:05 AM   #16
archer75
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-AP- FPJ
I liked 5230, would prefer white gold but the case is overall small to my taste and it is very dressy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 07:00 AM   #17
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I agree 100%, Karl. Some people want things that are presumed rare and difficult to obtain, whereas others desire more common items that will allow them to be part of an "owners club". The 5131 is an example of the first and the SS Sub (or a DJ) is a good example of the second.

There is also a supply/demand price point where once it is past that price point, it is no longer desirable, because it is not worth the asking price.

As for the 5230, the guilloche dial is a work of art that not many appreciate, but I feel is the highlight of this piece.
I learned long ago that making general propositions intended to cover large swaths of people usually doesn't work out well. Many people think the 5131s are beautiful and the nicest world timers by far, and that's why they collect them.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 07:41 AM   #18
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
I learned long ago that making general propositions intended to cover large swaths of people usually doesn't work out well. Many people think the 5131s are beautiful and the nicest world timers by far, and that's why they collect them.
We all have our own opinions. And that is the beauty of a forum like this where people can openly share opinions/generalizations and have a lively discussion.

Of course there are people who love the 5131 for their artistic portrayal of the dial, since the movement and case is the same as the 5130. I feel all of the hand painted enamel dialed Patek watches are special in their own way. And while others may disagree, I feel the 5131 is discussed here more than other enamel dial watches because of their secondary market price, which has to do with supply and demand.

I have three Patek world time watches and I feel they are all special in their own way. I hope some day I will be able to add the 5131 to my existing collection of world time watches as I find the enamel dial to be a true work of art. I almost purchased a Patek enamel dome clock, although I passed on one because I am more into Patek watches than clocks.
Old 27 April 2017, 07:46 AM   #19
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
We all have our own opinions. And that is the beauty of a forum like this where people can openly share opinions/generalizations and have a lively discussion.

Of course there are people who love the 5131 for their artistic portrayal of the dial, since the movement and case is the same as the 5130. I feel all of the hand painted enamel dialed Patek watches are special in their own way. And while others may disagree, I feel the 5131 is discussed here more than other enamel dial watches because of their secondary market price, which has to do with supply and demand.

I have three Patek world time watches and I feel they are all special in their own way. I hope some day I will be able to add the 5131 to my existing collection of world time watches as I find the enamel dial to be a true work of art. I almost purchased a Patek enamel dome clock, although I passed on one because I am more into Patek watches than clocks.
I'm surprised you don't have a 5131 already with your collection Jon. I hope you do get one.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 08:38 AM   #20
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I love the 5131, but the Mecca world timer is a close second with that green starburst dial.

I imagine the other enamel watches are discussed less here because they're actually too rare!
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2017, 02:06 PM   #21
KarlS
Banned

The Beirut and Edinburgh 5130 are also great colours and don't get discussed and I think Edinburgh is only 25 pieces!
Old 27 April 2017, 04:31 PM   #22
Keanuchan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=5230

Here is a thread that covers same question
cool, excellent!!! :)
Old 28 April 2017, 03:20 AM   #23
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I'm surprised you don't have a 5131 already with your collection Jon. I hope you do get one.
Thanks. As you know, there is some luck and timing involved in getting special pieces like the 5131. I am sure my time will come when I finally get the call from the AD. At least I was lucky enough to be allocated the 5575, so I can't really complain.
Old 28 April 2017, 04:57 AM   #24
lapince
"TRF" Member

To be honest I don't really like the other PP WT, just personal taste really, the 5131's are special because of the dial, plus when I saw one in real it seemed very thin, it was single sealed, but not a huge fan of the others with the guilloche, prefer WT which have a map on them, pne that I liked when I saw it was the Breguet Hora Mundi, the blue enamel is quite appealing, but the watch is quite big and not really sure about practicality, but nice piece nonetheless

IMG_0799.JPG