The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Picture & Video Gallery

Old 22 October 2006, 02:12 PM   #1
The Dude

"Time Will Tell" Okay I think I got it - took me a tad over 6 months

and a little over 28 thousands pics but it is starting to sink in. A photography course is in order perhaps but ... It is starting to get better. What do you think?

Life is so short make good use of it!

The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2006, 04:27 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Your photographic efforts are appreciated, Patrick!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2006, 08:08 PM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
What makes you think that you need a class Patrick?
Old 22 October 2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Great pictures Patrick.

I was hoping to take a class myself, there's always something else we can learn about technique.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2006, 10:55 PM   #5
The Dude

Good Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
What makes you think that you need a class Patrick?
Excellent question, I could always improve. I know a couple of professional photographers and one them I see on occasion we do not always talk shop as I am an amateur but he is real good and I showed him my pictures once and he gave me great feedback - That was right before coming to Montreal, he told me I had a good eye but to be more careful with what was in the background when I take a picture. Great advice.

It is not so much to learn about the technique, to learn about what makes a great picture "great" - I have an idea and I am starting to think I have an eye for it as well. Of course the technique is always something I could learn as well since I have absolutely no education in photography but lotsa practice.

Started a few years back with a Konica/Minolta G500, then a Canon SD450 (which I quickly returned) to now this Nikon D70s. All I know are a few settings and to go out there and take pictures.

These past few weeks I have taken another leap with my photography - last night a major step in post editing and resizing. With a course these leaps would be right away and educated as opposed to accidental, slow and far between.

I certainly do not want the technique to get in the way of my hummm lets call it creativity but it is a hobby which could turn into a profession as such I might as well get to know what I talk about and how to do it as opposed to winging it. I am at a level where I can learn a lot still, I am an absolute beginner, seriously.

So in order to get to the next levels with my photography I'd like to get there faster as opposed to every six months to a year making a small leap forward.

I take a lot of pictures, I want to be able to take less pictures and better pictures (Oh shucks I'll still take a ton of pictures! )
Old 22 October 2006, 11:20 PM   #6
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I take a lot of pictures, I want to be able to take less pictures and better pictures (Oh shucks I'll still take a ton of pictures! )
Thanks for the response and for our benefit, I hope so
Old 22 October 2006, 11:26 PM   #7
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You'll still need to take a lot of pictures. It's surprising what you see on some shots once you put them on the computer screen. Some shots I'd thought about scrapping have turned out alright. The beauty of digital is you can take as many as you like, it all depends upon the size of your memory card.

Member #10
Old 22 October 2006, 11:39 PM   #8
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
It's surprising what you see on some shots once you put them on the computer screen. Some shots I'd thought about scrapping have turned out alright. The beauty of digital is you can take as many as you like, it all depends upon the size of your memory card.
I agree - now I have two Memory cards! He he he One day last summer I took about 847 pictures - in one day, so far since I have purchased the D70s I have taken over 28,000 pictures... There is no stopping me!
Old 22 October 2006, 11:44 PM   #9
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree - now I have two Memory cards! He he he One day last summer I took about 847 pictures - in one day, so far since I have purchased the D70s I have taken over 28,000 pictures... There is no stopping me!
I use 4 gig cards in mine but shoot in Raw and Jpeg. In the D2Xs, I only get 128 shots. I may need to upgrade to an 8 gig card.

Another problem I have is how to categorise the pictures. At the moment I have them in date folders but I need to switch to species folders when I get the time.

Member #10
Old 22 October 2006, 11:52 PM   #10
The Dude

Well

Quote:
I use 4 gig cards in mine but shoot in Raw and Jpeg. In the D2Xs, I only get 128 shots. I may need to upgrade to an 8 gig card.

Another problem I have is how to categorise the pictures. At the moment I have them in date folders but I need to switch to species folders when I get the time.
I feel your pain... I have pictures coming out of my ears! I don't even want to categorize them - the idea is to earn enough money to hire someone to do that for me!

I shoot RAW + JPEG as well and I use a 1gig card on which I can take 158 pictures, now I got 2 cards. The next card I'll buy will be a 4 gig one but now that you mention you can only take 128 shots I may skip the 4 gig and get an 8 gig one once I get there, thank for the tip as I will most likely get a D200 next but would love a D2Xs - tell me should I be patient and save up for the D2Xs? What are the pros and cons (besides being the best pro digital SLR in the Nikon line up?)
Old 23 October 2006, 12:17 AM   #11
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I feel your pain... I have pictures coming out of my ears! I don't even want to categorize them - the idea is to earn enough money to hire someone to do that for me!

I shoot RAW + JPEG as well and I use a 1gig card on which I can take 158 pictures, now I got 2 cards. The next card I'll buy will be a 4 gig one but now that you mention you can only take 128 shots I may skip the 4 gig and get an 8 gig one once I get there, thank for the tip as I will most likely get a D200 next but would love a D2Xs - tell me should I be patient and save up for the D2Xs? What are the pros and cons (besides being the best pro digital SLR in the Nikon line up?)
I have the D200 as well as the D2Xs. With the D2Xs I can afford to be a little further away from my bird subjects and still be able to crop and not have too grainy a picture. The battery life is around 6 hours continuous so there's really no need for extra batteries. On the D200 I have the battery holder/grip. I use 2 batteries in the grip and have 2 spare. What I do like about the D200 is the built in flash, if you need it in an emergency, it's there. The biggest con with the D2Xs is the price but like Rolex you pay for the best. BTW you will get less shots with the D200 than D70 because of the extra pixels and picture size, I think I get around 136. There is another option now, the D80. It has many of the features of the D200, I saw one last week but could not try it out because they did not have a charged battery. It looks neat and is reasonably priced.

Member #10
Old 23 October 2006, 12:38 AM   #12
The Dude

Quote:
With the D2Xs I can afford to be a little further away from my bird subjects and still be able to crop and not have too grainy a picture. The battery life is around 6 hours continuous so there's really no need for extra batteries. On the D200 I have the battery holder/grip. I use 2 batteries in the grip and have 2 spare. What I do like about the D200 is the built in flash, if you need it in an emergency, it's there. The biggest con with the D2Xs is the price but like Rolex you pay for the best. There is another option now, the D80. It has many of the features of the D200.
The built in flash is the least of the factor in my buying descision - I have the SB-600 on my D70s at all times, day or night - it makes for better photography under the sun as well. People are my thing. I wouldn't get a D80 - neat camera, tried it but want the D2Xs - or the D200 as the next big thing - may have to go for the D200 as I am really tired of the setting wheel on the D70s which can be turned to the wrong setting by accident... And I may not have the patience to wait for the D2Xs, the D2Xs would make a great addition to a D200.

What do you do with your batteries - the only time I ran out of juice with the D70s was on an 9 hour and a half 900 picture time lapse thing I was working on..! Seriously, I started at 8:30 ish and keepshooting until 6 p.m. always on and I took like 960 pictures that day at Normal JPEG smallest resolution.
Old 23 October 2006, 03:38 AM   #13
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What do you do with your batteries - the only time I ran out of juice with the D70s was on an 9 hour and a half 900 picture time lapse thing I was working on..! Seriously, I started at 8:30 ish and keepshooting until 6 p.m. always on and I took like 960 pictures that day at Normal JPEG smallest resolution.
Sorry for the late reply but I'm on the way to Bahrain Airport to send the missus off home for a short break. I will of course behave myself whilst she's away.

I think my battery problems are due to the VR lenses I use. They need a bit of power to focus and drive.

Member #10
Old 23 October 2006, 03:42 AM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
I will of course behave myself whilst she's away....
We've heard that one before, you gentleman tosser!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2006, 03:45 AM   #15
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
We've heard that one before, you gentleman tosser!!
JJ, I'm shocked!!

Member #10