The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 September 2010, 12:13 PM   #1
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer-PAM233
Icon20 !! Urgent Help Needed !! Date Change Problem At My GMTIIc !!

Tonight at 00.06 while I was looking at my watch and waiting the date to change, my date changed but the half of my date window was 3 and the other half of it was 4 ... I waited a little more ,it was the same..it didn't change and stayed in between two dates 3 and 4... 1 hour more passed and nothing changed then I pulled the crown and moved the hour hand to 6 and the date changed to 4... And moved the hour hand back to 23 and the date went back to 3 and I moved forward again to 01 the date changed to 4 again without a problem..
So did something like this happen to you? Is it a sign of a problem? What do you think? What to do? Thanks very much friends..

P.S: I can not sleep without hearing some advice about this issue, that's why called the topic Urgent...thanks
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 12:32 PM   #2
soliman15

Watch: your back
A watched pot never boils
soliman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Rogue884
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 & 116660
I just looked down at my DSSD when I was reading this post, and the date flipped. That was cool.

"The probability of anyone watching you do something is in direct proportion to the stupidity of what you are doing" - Warren Miller
Rogue884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 02:49 PM   #4
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Your watch is still fairly new isn't it? I'd give it a little more break-in time before becoming too concerned. And that's right, you should never ever watch for the date change on a Rolex--poor form. When you wake up in the morning it should be correct and that's all you need to expect.
tgoose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 04:11 PM   #5
handyhsl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C
hey buddy.. i have heard a few stories about new GMT2Cs with this issue.
in summary: this is because the watch is new, the oil inside needs more time to settle
solution: keep changing the date by turning the hour hand manually, until you reach a complete cycle from date 1-31.
Once you have done that (maybe twice?), try seeing the date change again at midnight.
let us know..
Old 4 September 2010, 07:07 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
My advice just go to sleep forget about your watch,and as long as date changes when you wake up thats all that matters.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Joe(UK)
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM417, PAM000
i had this issue with mine, took about 2 hours then the date finally changed fully.

i gave the watch 6 months to sort it self, i didnt so i sent it to rolex, a month later it was back and working fine!
Joe(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 07:38 PM   #8
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
My advice just go to sleep forget about your watch,and as long as date changes when you wake up thats all that matters.
quoted for the truth

come on - its only a watch, why would you lose sleep over it?
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 07:51 PM   #9
Puffy
"TRF" Member

have a g&t and enjoy your sleep
Old 4 September 2010, 08:01 PM   #10
SDDS
"TRF" Member

i have the same problem on my brothers datejust 16220.. but the thing is i am changing the date manually the date doesn't flip... is there is a way i can fix it.. or i should just take it to my AD
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 08:54 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDS View Post
i have the same problem on my brothers datejust 16220.. but the thing is i am changing the date manually the date doesn't flip... is there is a way i can fix it.. or i should just take it to my AD

If you can manually change the date then I cannot see any reason why it don't change automatically its all linked to the hand gears.Now automatics don't always change to the second at midnight simply because they are mechanical.Just turn the hands two full turns around the dial if date changes all is well if not you have a problem..

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 September 2010, 09:02 PM   #12
PhilM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
That as well as you actually wake up to notice it, that's what I'd worry about more
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 09:22 PM   #13
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
The answers you have received sound plausible and if your watch is new I'd give it a month. If the problem continues then take it to RSC for service!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 09:41 PM   #14
chishtif
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 2
I have the same problem. It is either too much or too less oil on the date wheel. It has to be sent to the service center. It wont go away with time.

Even if you make the date change manually, it will work fine for a couple of days and the problem will return. Somone has to open it up and and get the "exact" amount of oil on the wheel.

If you can live with this problem (and I think its not too big of a problem anyway), its fne. If it bothers you too much, then send it in for service. I have seen multiple threads regarding the GMT IIC with this problem.
chishtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 10:32 PM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chishtif View Post
I have the same problem. It is either too much or too less oil on the date wheel. It has to be sent to the service center. It wont go away with time.

Even if you make the date change manually, it will work fine for a couple of days and the problem will return. Somone has to open it up and and get the "exact" amount of oil on the wheel.

If you can live with this problem (and I think its not too big of a problem anyway), its fne. If it bothers you too much, then send it in for service. I have seen multiple threads regarding the GMT IIC with this problem.
As long as the date changes by the next morning why worry about it.When you get to a mature age its far more important to wake up breathing than watching when a date will change.Yes its possible to much or too little lubrication is on the date change mechanism, but as long as the date changes cannot see any point of getting the back off they normally bed in over a few months.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 5 September 2010, 01:07 AM   #16
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep yep yep
Old 6 September 2010, 11:28 AM   #17
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
I worry about not waking up in the morning.
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2010, 11:30 AM   #18
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Just grab a beer my friend!!!
Old 6 September 2010, 03:55 PM   #19
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
"TRF" Member

Update.....
For two days there seems to be no problem..Hope not to see that issue again...
Old 6 September 2010, 03:59 PM   #20
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
Glad to hear that double O. Try to sleep early so you won't have to see that again.

Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2010, 04:01 PM   #21
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
Glad to hear that double O. Try to sleep early so you won't have to see that again.
Last night I took two sleeping pills:)
Old 27 September 2010, 02:18 PM   #22
Lex_Ordo
"TRF" Member

Okay, so what happens when you work at night? I sleep during the day, so when I go to sleep, and get up, the date is still the same. It is when I am at work that the date changes, and yes...I see it. Somewhere around 8 minutes past.

LMAO :)
Lex_Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2010, 10:12 PM   #23
Roley
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I did a search on this thread and had to reply..... I had the same issue last night with my new GMT 116710 LN. The date flipped half way between 12 and 13. My first thought was, DAMN...lucky 13. Anyhow...I changed the hour hand up, and it flipped to 13 fully....then back an hour and it flipped to 12 fully. That tells me that everything is working fine. Let's see what happens tonight, before any red flags go up. I'm sure it's just a lubrication issue. I don't want to open this watch, it keeps perfect time. One second slow after 7 days!.
Roley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2011, 04:39 AM   #24
fazman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss blue
I had the same issue when mine was new...

It took about two months of wearing it, then it started to turn at midnight every time. I am assuming the others are correct about oil, break-in period, etc.
fazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2011, 02:14 AM   #25
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Mine was doing this when I first purchased it:

Here's the fix:
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
This is what mine *was* doing, but it's never done it again since I performed the steps I outlined above; what you do is:

1. Pull crown out to second position (hour hand only moves, second hand doesn't stop)

2. advance hour hand (CW) until you get to a midnight where date hangs as it is doing in your pic (if yours is like mine was, it won't do this on every date, only some of them, so you've got to find them one by one and do steps 3 through 5);

3. slowly advance hour hand (CW) until date finally clicks to next date (on mine this was around 2 AM);

4. then, move hour hand backwards (CCW) past midnight until date clicks to previous date;

5. repeat 3. and 4. several times until date changes properly at midnight or just past with a nice click;

6. advance hour hand CW again until you get to another midnight, repeat steps 3-5, keep repeating until you've gone through all 31 dates, then go through them again to make sure it no longer hangs; if it does, try again.

Worked like a champ for me, no problems since. Try it and see if it works, good luck!!
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2011, 02:28 AM   #26
m_allie
Banned

Watch: Deepsea,Patek 5980
hahaha just chiilax have a drink go to sleep Ur good ..
m_allie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2011, 02:29 AM   #27
m_allie
Banned

Watch: Deepsea,Patek 5980
wait i forgot this thread is a year old lol
m_allie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2011, 06:28 AM   #28
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_allie View Post
wait i forgot this thread is a year old lol
Ack! I got sucked into a dead thread!!
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2011, 07:27 AM   #29
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Ack! I got sucked into a dead thread!!
Not dead any more