The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 April 2018, 07:01 PM   #1
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

RG44 GP Alcantara Strap (Black/Red)

Finally had a chance to work on my first strap change tonight. Switched out the OEM black rubber strap for the OEM GP strap.

Result of the first attempt with the tang:

Unfortunately, not functional this way

Final result:

Excuse me for not wiping down the watch before the pictures. The blemishes from the watch are adhesive from bandaids and dust/linen particles. I am pleased with the final result, it definitely gives the watch a completely different look and feel. Quick reflection makes me think that the black rubber strap is more versatile, but excited to see how this looks for the next outing.

Thanks to Ash and Islatate for screwdriver sizes, 1stamg for AP bands screw mount suggestion, AK797 for strap idea, and SC11 for strap codes.

Finally, while trying on the finished strap change, I noticed there is a slight sound when I shake the head of my RG44. Does your guys' 44's make a sound when shaken lightly? Not sure if this is an issue that I should be concerned with or not.

Thanks!
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:24 PM   #2
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Looking good but need some wrist shots
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:47 PM   #3
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Looking good but need some wrist shots
Here is a quick shot I took post op. Hopefully will get the chance to take more this weekend

Old 18 April 2018, 07:48 PM   #4
Watch Admirer
Banned

much prefer the original band
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:57 PM   #5
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Admirer View Post
Guess no one invite you for party huh
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 08:01 PM   #6
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Looking really good mate the added red on the strap highlights the red on the dial.

Both have the pros/cons but it’s good to be able to mix it up, and amazing how the strap change can make such a difference to the overall look.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 09:25 PM   #7
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Admirer View Post
The fact that the original band is all black makes it easier to just throw on with any outfit. Plus, still have to break in the GP strap. It is a bit stiff from just coming out the packaging, but it gives off quite a unique look which I like about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'ed View Post
Guess no one invite you for party huh

Its an AP party, but I think I like your newly acquired ROO better with full bracelet than a strap change. If they made a bracelet for the 44mm I would honestly be all over it (incoming flames for the imaginary discomfort of the size and weight).
Old 18 April 2018, 09:30 PM   #8
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Looking really good mate the added red on the strap highlights the red on the dial.

Both have the pros/cons but it’s good to be able to mix it up, and amazing how the strap change can make such a difference to the overall look.
Pictures of anything AP never seem to come out the same in reality. The black rubber strap now almost seems a tiny bit bland next to the GP strap. However thats not necessarily a bad thing though as I still view the OEM rubber as more practical since the GP is supposed to not be WR.
Old 18 April 2018, 11:22 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Terrific pics! Somehow the combo of red and gold and polished black just works for me. I was looking at a grey strap but it looked a little on the light side so I think I'll just put my black rubber back on instead for a change up.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 03:59 AM   #10
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Looking good

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 10:29 AM   #11
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Terrific pics! Somehow the combo of red and gold and polished black just works for me. I was looking at a grey strap but it looked a little on the light side so I think I'll just put my black rubber back on instead for a change up.
Ever entertained the idea of a white strap? Summer is right around the corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairdude1 View Post
Looking good
Thanks!
Old 19 April 2018, 10:33 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I have, looked at a lot of pics but think the colour jump is too big, even the light grey is, a dark grey would work but would look black half the time so no point, black rubber and red GP will do for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 05:38 PM   #13
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

I recently noticed a quiet 'whirring' sound when I shake my 44. It sounds like somewhere in between something winding and something possibly loose. Maybe it is the part of the motor that says 'AP' right behind the crystalback. Anyone else notice anything like this?
Old 21 April 2018, 06:08 PM   #14
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
I recently noticed a quiet 'whirring' sound when I shake my 44. It sounds like somewhere in between something winding and something possibly loose. Maybe it is the part of the motor that says 'AP' right behind the crystalback. Anyone else notice anything like this?
I don't have mine on at the moment (its an Omega day!), but very much most likely it is the rotor. Some are silent but others can make a bit of a sound, although not much. You should be able to check by watching the rotor to see if the sound coincides.

Great job re the GP strap. I agree its less versatile than the rubber, but I can't imagine ever changing it back to rubber, as I do really like the GP.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 08:32 PM   #15
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I don't have mine on at the moment (its an Omega day!), but very much most likely it is the rotor. Some are silent but others can make a bit of a sound, although not much. You should be able to check by watching the rotor to see if the sound coincides.

Great job re the GP strap. I agree its less versatile than the rubber, but I can't imagine ever changing it back to rubber, as I do really like the GP.
Thanks for the response. I'm a bit nervous about it and haven't been able to get much feedback about this issue yet. At some angles when I give it a light shake, there seems to be a whirring sound which seems to coincide with a rotor, but then at another angle it almost sounds like there is a screw loose, spinning sideways on its head. Although I don't see anything abnormal through the crystal back and time seems to be keeping within a reasonable amount so far, I haven't tested the chrono yet and will be running a chrono test this weekend.

I recently ordered the alligator strap, as this GP strap was the gateway for me entertaining new straps. Excited to see how it will look on that too
Old 21 April 2018, 09:15 PM   #16
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Awesome!! If you are anything like me, getting involved in a strap change on the AP is an event marked with a little nervousness. The booboo with the tang is something I have done countless times!! The strap looks amazing on the RG, just wear it around and it will break in pretty quick. It becomes really soft and supple in no time. Glad you tried it out...btw...it still is an event for me when changing straps on the AP Novelty, I need all hands on deck so to speak in my little brain. Have fun, the flood gates have opened!!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 09:48 PM   #17
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Very nice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 06:31 PM   #18
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Very nice.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Awesome!! If you are anything like me, getting involved in a strap change on the AP is an event marked with a little nervousness. The booboo with the tang is something I have done countless times!! The strap looks amazing on the RG, just wear it around and it will break in pretty quick. It becomes really soft and supple in no time. Glad you tried it out...btw...it still is an event for me when changing straps on the AP Novelty, I need all hands on deck so to speak in my little brain. Have fun, the flood gates have opened!!
Saran Wrap was my safety zone. Gotta wrap it up!