The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 April 2018, 04:22 PM   #1
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

What does your 44mm sound like when you shake it?

As the title states, when shaken lightly, is there a sound? If so, what does it sound like?

For my 44mm, from some angles, there seems to be a whirring sound that may be the motor. At other angles, it sounds like there is a possibility of a screw rolling around on the side of its head. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Time keeping doesn't seem to have any abnormalities at the moment.
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Bushido
"TRF" Member

I can get a light whirring sound if I gently shake mine near my ear. This is the oscillating weight moving and completely normal. As to the other sound you mentioned, I have heard nothing of the sort. Have you closely inspected through the case back to check for anything slightly off?
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 05:19 PM   #3
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
I can get a light whirring sound if I gently shake mine near my ear. This is the oscillating weight moving and completely normal. As to the other sound you mentioned, I have heard nothing of the sort. Have you closely inspected through the case back to check for anything slightly off?
Looking through the caseback has not revealed anything that would demonstrate the odd sound that I am hearing. Could a watch theoretically function fully and accurate with a screw loose? If it wasn't for this sound, it does not appear as if there is anything wrong, however this sound is getting into my head.
Old 25 April 2018, 05:43 PM   #4
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Mine only has very feint sound of the rotor. If you're worried it really needs to go to AP, because if by chance a screw is floating around it could cause damage. Certainly it seems your 44 is making a lot more noise than mine, as mine is imperceptible in normal use.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 05:57 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

try on a Petek 324 movement. Then you will love rotor noise and kind of miss it when wearing anything else.

Its probably fine as if a screw is free inside the movement you would have had something bad happen by now i would think.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 05:58 PM   #6
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Mine only has very feint sound of the rotor. If you're worried it really needs to go to AP, because if by chance a screw is floating around it could cause damage. Certainly it seems your 44 is making a lot more noise than mine, as mine is imperceptible in normal use.
Thanks for the input. I am contacting APSC to see what their take on it is. I really do not want to send it in unless it is necessary, but your comment is leading me into the fear of one evil tiny screw causing total mayhem in places that I can't see
Old 25 April 2018, 06:04 PM   #7
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
try on a Petek 324 movement. Then you will love rotor noise and kind of miss it when wearing anything else.

Its probably fine as if a screw is free inside the movement you would have had something bad happen by now i would think.
Rotor noise- I do not mind the sound that much. What's consuming me is whether or not this sound is natural.

Was hoping for some confirmation from members that their 44 sounds as wild as mine. I don't mind the rotor partying on my wrist as long as none of their screws are loose
Old 25 April 2018, 06:12 PM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
Rotor noise- I do not mind the sound that much. What's consuming me is whether or not this sound is natural.

Was hoping for some confirmation from members that their 44 sounds as wild as mine. I don't mind the rotor partying on my wrist as long as none of their screws are loose
i could hear the rotor on mine, and then i could also hear the gears turning from the rotor so maybe that is what you hear?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 06:16 PM   #9
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i could hear the rotor on mine, and then i could also hear the gears turning from the rotor so maybe that is what you hear?
From what you are describing, would any of that be mistakable for what a loose screw might sound like? I can hear the rotor at various positions, it sounds like what it is. And then out comes a curveball and I hear this little tinking noise
Old 26 April 2018, 01:48 AM   #10
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Doesn't 'sound' right to me at all...
Old 26 April 2018, 01:52 AM   #11
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Just tried my other 44, the Summer Edition, and its identical to my RG44, in that if you shake it near to your ear (having done up the tang buckle to silence that) I can just hear a noise of the rotor moving. But in general use this is totally imperceptible and silent.
Old 26 April 2018, 03:05 AM   #12
Watchfunday
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek,AP,ALS,Rolex
Same here. I can hear a little rotor noice nothing else. Pretty silent in normal use.
Watchfunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 06:00 AM   #13
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
9 APs with the 3120/3126 and they all have a slight rotor noise from ball bearings.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:56 AM   #14
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Mine plays Mahler’s 5th Symphony when I shake it clockwise, Nicki Minaj when I shake it counterclockwise.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:00 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Mine makes barely a sound, I'd get that checked out.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:27 AM   #16
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Just tried my other 44, the Summer Edition, and its identical to my RG44, in that if you shake it near to your ear (having done up the tang buckle to silence that) I can just hear a noise of the rotor moving. But in general use this is totally imperceptible and silent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpa69 View Post
Same here. I can hear a little rotor noice nothing else. Pretty silent in normal use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
9 APs with the 3120/3126 and they all have a slight rotor noise from ball bearings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Mine plays Mahler’s 5th Symphony when I shake it clockwise, Nicki Minaj when I shake it counterclockwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Mine makes barely a sound, I'd get that checked out.
Appreciate the comments fellas..will contact APSC to see what the best choice of action will be