The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 March 2016, 03:40 AM   #31
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I wear my watch his every day all day long 365. They don't look anything like that. The good news is about your opinion is when you were teenager brings the family car home with a giant dent in it you are going to be fine with that.

There's many things I find strange here. Most of which is the celebration of the destruction of a beautiful $10,000+ watch. Please understand it's not a money thing for me. If I were a billionaire it still would not make sense to me to destroy slowly or quickly an expensive item. Perhaps after spending more time here I will understand the psychology behind some of you feeling this way. Some will come back and tell me one of my other most favorite forum sayings that it is a "tool watch". Of course that makes little sense as there are many things that are a lot less expensive and remarkably more practical to use for what this particular watch was invited for to begin with. Anyway to each his own. I will just never celebrate damage to nice things. Let me ask you this though. If you think it looks "awesome" do you take your brand-new Rolex and smash it up against the wall to make it look this way right away? If not why not? Kids think jeans with holes in them look awesome so they buy them brand-new like that. Maybe Rolex should offer a new line with them all scratched up and dented right out of the box.
Have you seen pics close ups of Dr Tom's watches
Old 9 March 2016, 05:27 AM   #32
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
doesn't look much different than mine..

I guess that we actually wear ours..
Amen. It's so nice to see images of watches that are actually worn and not ferreted away only to see the light of day when it's time for the monthly Cape Cod and Scotchbrite sessions. Your Daytona looks fantastic!
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 05:43 AM   #33
Romeojk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Some crazy awesome French divers took their Daytonas down to 60ft with the pushers unscrewed. They even tried chrono at that depth and there was no problem. There are pictures on trf if you look, iirc. YMMV, but it's a good sign.

Meters...60 meters : )
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 06:39 AM   #34
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Banking must be tougher on watches than selling.
Or maybe Kris is a drummer on the side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Glad to see a well-used Daytona.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
doesn't look much different than mine..

I guess that we actually wear ours..
Quote:
Originally Posted by albmich View Post
That looks awesome. Don't you ever polish that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairdude1 View Post
Looks like it gets a lot of wrist time!
Quote:
I wear my watch his every day all day long 365. They don't look anything like that. The good news is about your opinion is when you were teenager brings the family car home with a giant dent in it you are going to be fine with that.

There's many things I find strange here. Most of which is the celebration of the destruction of a beautiful $10,000+ watch. Please understand it's not a money thing for me. If I were a billionaire it still would not make sense to me to destroy slowly or quickly an expensive item. Perhaps after spending more time here I will understand the psychology behind some of you feeling this way. Some will come back and tell me one of my other most favorite forum sayings that it is a "tool watch". Of course that makes little sense as there are many things that are a lot less expensive and remarkably more practical to use for what this particular watch was invited for to begin with. Anyway to each his own. I will just never celebrate damage to nice things. Let me ask you this though. If you think it looks "awesome" do you take your brand-new Rolex and smash it up against the wall to make it look this way right away? If not why not? Kids think jeans with holes in them look awesome so they buy them brand-new like that. Maybe Rolex should offer a new line with them all scratched up and dented right out of the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Have you seen pics close ups of Dr Tom's watches
Thanks, gentlemen!

Quote:
Normal scratches happen when you bang it against something by accident once in a while. That Gentlemans watch does not have normal scratches. That thing has been beat to death. I know car mechanics that have less wear and tear on their watches. Like I said to him if you think that is cool then so be it. It's just not something I would do with a $12,000 Daytona. I have a $200 Casio I do that with. Good grief even that has less wear and tear on it then his Daytona and I have taken my Casio to places that would blow most of your minds away.
My watch is the physical representation of the fact that I enjoy my life and I don't worry about the little things. You seem to know a lot about my watch. Every scratch was made during my "normal" life of adventuring around the globe, keeping Rolex-quality record of every single experience, so they are all "normal" scratches to me. My watch has experieced the world just as I have since the day I strapped it on.

I do not have an attachment to material things; as if keeping them to a "Gentleman" standard is going to accomplish something...like perhaps trying to give the appearance of being a gentleman(?); but then again I let my actions--not my accessories--define me.

I guess the true beauty of your opinion, your Casio and my watch, is that we are their keepers. No one else. Enjoy your opinion and your Casio.
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 08:02 AM   #35
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrismanX View Post
Thanks, gentlemen!

My watch is the physical representation of the fact that I enjoy my life and I don't worry about the little things. You seem to know a lot about my watch. Every scratch was made during my "normal" life of adventuring around the globe, keeping Rolex-quality record of every single experience, so they are all "normal" scratches to me. My watch has experieced the world just as I have since the day I strapped it on.

I do not have an attachment to material things; as if keeping them to a "Gentleman" standard is going to accomplish something...like perhaps trying to give the appearance of being a gentleman(?); but then again I let my actions--not my accessories--define me.

I guess the true beauty of your opinion, your Casio and my watch, is that we are their keepers. No one else. Enjoy your opinion and your Casio.
Lol. 'Little things" I completely agree. If you want to completely destroy your $12,000 watch you absolutely can. In fact I'll take it a step further. You can destroy anything you want that you own.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 08:35 AM   #36
SamiKssiaa
Banned

Watch: 116710BLNR
That watch has more character than Minnesota Fats
SamiKssiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 09:11 AM   #37
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol. 'Little things" I completely agree. If you want to completely destroy your $12,000 watch you absolutely can. In fact I'll take it a step further. You can destroy anything you want that you own.

Just as you have completely destroyed your reputation as a person who respects others and can keep a level head in a discussion...on a watch forum. Take care of your Casio.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
Old 9 March 2016, 09:40 AM   #38
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Destroy is too strong to describe what I saw. When normal service is done it'll all buff out to like new condition. And cost no extra.
So don't understand the rancor about how a person wears their watch. Just my 2¢...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 10:21 AM   #39
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Just as you have completely destroyed your reputation as a person who respects others and can keep a level head in a discussion...on a watch forum. Take care of your Casio.

A little over the top I think. Sorry you are so sensitive. I meant no disrespect. I'll take very good care of all my Rolexs (7) including my Daytona as well as my other timepieces.

Instagram - patton250
Old 9 March 2016, 10:24 AM   #40
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Destroy is too strong to describe what I saw. When normal service is done it'll all buff out to like new condition. And cost no extra.
So don't understand the rancor about how a person wears their watch. Just my 2¢...

You may be right but knowing what it looked like I would never buy it. I would never buy a car that had been wrecked either. And that's my 2 cents.

Instagram - patton250
Old 9 March 2016, 10:25 AM   #41
ltmgeller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Wow. Great battle scars on that beauty.
ltmgeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 10:27 AM   #42
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
!!!water!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosbrook View Post
It should be fine. There's an internal seal that still maintains significant water resistance with the crown out.

Yes, the seals keep that water out. The screw downs prevent you from engaging the pushers while the watch is submerged which is what causes damage. You are fine unless you started the chrono, but even then just under running water I'm sure things are fine.

Edit: after reading all the posts. I'd just like to add: Gentleman, everyone has a right to their own opinion and we all treat our valuables differently. There is no right or wrong. All that matters is having a fun forum where we can agree and even agree to disagree. I personally fear every scratch I happen to get on my watches. Mostly because I'm OCD. I wish I wasn't... But I am. It's a burden and actually was a HUGE reason why I sold my Daytona. Just too many darn shiny areas to eventually scratch up. It's actually a shame... Maybe if I had lived like the OP I'd still have an amazing watch. On the flip side... If I owned a watch that looked like that I'd be having anxiety attacks... First world problems!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 9 March 2016, 10:38 AM   #43
cuter118
Banned

properly used ... feels good to see one
cuter118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 10:42 AM   #44
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Should be no issues with water entering into the watch. Nice Daytona and glad to see you are enjoying it. My favorite pieces resemble the well loved condition as well
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 10:48 AM   #45
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A little over the top I think. Sorry you are so sensitive. I meant no disrespect. I'll take very good care of all my Rolexs (7) including my Daytona as well as my other timepieces.
No need to lie about your intentional disrespect to me and the other members; unless you were thinking of editing your previous posts. And I'm sorry too; I don't participate in pissing contests. It's immature.

Nice Patton quote, by the way. Right on the money.
Old 9 March 2016, 11:13 AM   #46
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:

Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 11:34 AM   #47
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No need to lie about your intentional disrespect to me and the other members; unless you were thinking of editing your previous posts. And I'm sorry too; I don't participate in pissing contests. It's immature.

Nice Patton quote, by the way. Right on the money.
Look Krisman I'll leave it at this. I don't need to lie to you or anyone on a public forum. I most certainly meant no disrespect. I absolutely won't edit my posts except for grammar mistakes. I just think it's crazy to allow something so beautiful and expensive to get so torn up and damaged. I am allowed my opinion. With that I'll leave it alone.

Instagram - patton250
Old 9 March 2016, 11:53 AM   #48
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I think your fine. Still waterproof with crown out. Only if you press the pushers under water will water get in.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 12:16 PM   #49
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Looks like it has had lots of love
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 12:27 PM   #50
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

Finally a watch that's worn!
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 01:16 PM   #51
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Quote:
I washed my Daytona right now... But I just noticed as I was drying it that I didn't screw in my crown after winding it earlier today. I wasn't submerging the watch; but it was under running warm water and a soft toothbrush.

I stuck it in uncooked rice (a la iPhone moisture defense tactic) while I await your responses.

Thoughts?
Great looking Daytona! Like an old leather jacket! Character!
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote