The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 3 February 2018, 03:57 PM   #31
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
The detail on these is incredible
Prestige_Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 11:39 PM   #32
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Just for fun, two other translations of the haiku have been suggested.

Bird of the Mountain it arrived and it disturbed the cherry blossom

and

A bird in the mountain cherry blossoms are cherry blossoms

Personally I prefer the former.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2018, 02:31 AM   #33
jar
"TRF" Member

Ancient Flowers by Dento Kogei-shi Kogaku (Koichiro Okazaki)

In Japan the title Dento Kogei-shi is reserved for Masters of Traditional Crafts and eight areas are recognized. The next pen is another Danitrio and is by Kogaku (Koichiro Okazaki).

It is titled 古代の花 (Ancient Flowers).

The pen itself is a Sho(Shorter)-Hakkaku, an eight sided flat end fountain pen. The base is a dark midori (green).

Old 8 February 2018, 07:54 AM   #34
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Hey Jim,

You have a wonderful collection of the Urushi and Maki-e pens can you tell us where you purchase them typically.

I have found a a couple on Ebay and of course one magnificent personal TRF friend to us all, but outside Binder's site where most of them appear to be on a 1 to 2 year backlog, I am not sure really where the best places are to find them.

Thanks!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 08:49 AM   #35
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Hey Jim,

You have a wonderful collection of the Urushi and Maki-e pens can you tell us where you purchase them typically.

I have found a a couple on Ebay and of course one magnificent personal TRF friend to us all, but outside Binder's site where most of them appear to be on a 1 to 2 year backlog, I am not sure really where the best places are to find them.

Thanks!
There really hasn't been a typical place. There have been the few places that handled the pens as retail, John Mottishaw and Bryant Greer and Iguana Sell and Sakura Fountain Pens and a few private individuals that had direct connections with Danitrio and so always had some great examples to sell. But only a few of my fountains pens (and it's true pretty much across the board) came through the direct retail channel. Most came from another lover of fine fountain pens or some of the older retail channels that have now disappeared. A few were ordered directly from the maker.

Remember though, what is here now is an accumulation over many decades and just one or two pens a year.

Today Bryant Greer is a definite enabler when it comes to Danitrio and his Consignment Pens often have jewels (there is a Platinum Izumo there right now at a price I haven't seen in many years).
Old 19 February 2018, 07:09 AM   #36
javert34
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 & 14000M
I enjoyed looking through what has been posted already. I would recommend adding a Pelikan or two...or three. I have several, both new and vintage, and every one of them writes like a dream. I can leave any of my Pelikans for several days and they will start right up with no priming whatsoever and write like butter on glass. That's my way of saying they are very smooth writers.
Old 19 February 2018, 12:36 PM   #37
jar
"TRF" Member

Pelikans are quite nice but I've sold most of mine. I still have an old M-200, 400 and 600 so all the same size but different personalities.
Old 20 February 2018, 05:43 AM   #38
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
There really hasn't been a typical place. There have been the few places that handled the pens as retail, John Mottishaw and Bryant Greer and Iguana Sell and Sakura Fountain Pens and a few private individuals that had direct connections with Danitrio and so always had some great examples to sell. But only a few of my fountains pens (and it's true pretty much across the board) came through the direct retail channel. Most came from another lover of fine fountain pens or some of the older retail channels that have now disappeared. A few were ordered directly from the maker.

Remember though, what is here now is an accumulation over many decades and just one or two pens a year.

Today Bryant Greer is a definite enabler when it comes to Danitrio and his Consignment Pens often have jewels (there is a Platinum Izumo there right now at a price I haven't seen in many years).
Thank you Jim! There are a couple of sources there I have not heard of. But Bryant is a definite "problem" for me! A great guy!

Thanks again!

Richard
Old 20 February 2018, 05:45 AM   #39
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javert34 View Post
I enjoyed looking through what has been posted already. I would recommend adding a Pelikan or two...or three. I have several, both new and vintage, and every one of them writes like a dream. I can leave any of my Pelikans for several days and they will start right up with no priming whatsoever and write like butter on glass. That's my way of saying they are very smooth writers.
I have to agree.

I own about a dozen Pelikans and there is not a one of them that has disappointed. Can't say the same about some others.
Old 21 February 2018, 09:14 PM   #40
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Once there was a kindly old farmer who lived at the edge of the bamboo forest. One day while he was working his field he found an injured sparrow. It was cold and wet and pitiful and the old man picked it up and rushed home. He held the little bird against his chest to warm it and fed it some rice on his finger and soon it was hopping around and chirping. It flew up onto the rafters and settled down.

The old man laughed and smiled. "Look after the little thing.", he told has wife as he went back to the fields.

Now his wife was not as kindly as him and she did not want him wasting food on some bird. When it flew back down begging to be fed she hit it with her broom, cut out its tongue and threw it out the window.

When the old man returned that evening and found the little bird missing she said that the bird had bitten her and then she had chased it away. Worried, the old man went out looking for the little sparrow to make sure it was not hurt. He heard some sparrows in the bamboo forest and followed the sounds until he found a patch near an Ume tree where lots of sparrows gathered. They all greeted him and thanked him for taking care of the little bird. To reward him they offered him his choice of two baskets, one large, one small. Being old and tired from his long day of work, he chose the smaller and carried it back to his house.

He told his wife all about the sparrow's inn and the two baskets and how happy the sparrows seemed. When they opened the basket they found it filled with some fine silk and jewels. His wife was furious; "Why didn't you get the big basket?" she shouted. She stormed out of the house and went to search for the sparrows in. When she found it she grabbed the big basket even though the sparrows begged her not to take it.

On the way home she simply could not wait to see all the jewels and treasure it must hold and so opened the box to find it filled with snakes and scorpions. She was so frightened that she ran away and was never seen again.

The old man missed his wife, even though she was a nag, but the sparrows stopped by every day and cheered him up and when he needed money (which was very seldom) he sold some of the silks or jewels and lived a long and happy life.

Long ago, when I was exploring the Walters Art Gallery I was taught the tale of the Tongue Cut Sparrow and sparrows in Ume Trees (flowering apricots) are a common theme in many Japanese prints. This next pen is a Danitrio with maki-e artwork by the Dento Kogei-shi Masanori (Masanori Omote) and based on the Tale of the Tongue Cut Sparrow. It depicts the sparrows on bamboo and in a Ume tree.

Unlike earlier examples this is all created using very fine precious metals carefully places using fine bamboo tubes. As with the others the first step is to create the urushi base, this time simply Kuro (black) but many, many individual layers each cured and then sanded before the next layer is applied.

The final layer serves as the base for the art work, finely ground gold allows carefully placed using the black background to form the lines outlining forms.

Let's begin moving in to see the details. The most prominent feature is the bamboo stalk that runs almost the full length of the pen. Notice that the joint between bamboo sections is set right at the cap to tie together the cap and body.

If we look closely we can see that different sizes and colors of powder were used to create texture and voids where no powder is applied to visually add details.

The Sparrows and the Ume Blossoms were created the same way.

Not only art, but poetry!

Just a lovely pen and you also have to admire greatly the stories that accompany many of them!

Thanks for sharing Jim! Sincerely appreciated!
Old 22 February 2018, 03:42 AM   #41
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
jar
Your stories, notes, pictures of such beautiful artwork/pens...Very impressed!! It is a truly wonderful read.
Blessings,
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 01:30 PM   #42
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Jim is a crown jewel to this TRF Pen Forum.

We are very lucky to have him and his willingness to share with us.

Thank you Jim!
Old 22 February 2018, 01:39 PM   #43
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Jim, Thank you very much. They are excellent posts with incredible detail. Thanks for taking the time to make them.
Old 22 February 2018, 03:24 PM   #44
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

And I should have said earlier....

Every pen collection should have a... owner / pen collector with a LOT of money!!!

But then again...
Old 22 February 2018, 10:47 PM   #45
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
And I should have said earlier....

Every pen collection should have a... owner / pen collector with a LOT of money!!!

But then again...
Lots of money is not needed as Spock advised, simply Live long and accumulate.

Glad you folk enjoy them.

Next installment will lower the entrance fees.
Old 23 February 2018, 03:26 AM   #46
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Lots of money is not needed as Spock advised, simply Live long and accumulate.

Glad you folk enjoy them.

Next installment will lower the entrance fees.
Heheheheeee!!!!
Old 16 March 2018, 06:34 AM   #47
Wembleyisgreen
Banned

Watch: 214270
Fisher bullet in brass.
Wembleyisgreen is offline   Reply With Quote