The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 18 February 2018, 04:53 AM   #1
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Rolex guys opinion on Breitling Navitimer.

Hi Guys,

I know there's a Breitling section on the forum but since I want to hear the Rolex guys opinion I think this is the right section for this thread.

I'm not a fan of Breitling in general but I do like the Navitimer 01, I know Breitlings resale is bad and that they can be had with good discounts,A good friend that works at an AD is offering me 3 different Breitlings models at 50% off retail,actually about 45% because it's a 50% of the price of the head plus the strap I choose at retail, and one of the models is the Navitimer 01.

What do you guys think is a 50% off a brand new Navitimer a good deal?, the model they have on sale is the 43mm the 46 is not on sale.

How's the quality of the Breitlings deployment buckle ?I have both options , deployment or tang on both calf and Croc, the calf with tang being the cheapest.

TIA.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 04:57 AM   #2
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
Deployant
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 05:00 AM   #3
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Good offer, I like the Navitimer. Bracelet and clasp are very nice as well imho
Old 18 February 2018, 05:07 AM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Wow. A brand new Navitimer at half-price sounds enticing.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 05:08 AM   #5
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Good offer, I like the Navitimer. Bracelet and clasp are very nice as well imho
Thanks , I actually only like the look of it on leather not a fan of Breitling bracelets, too flashy for my taste.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 05:12 AM   #6
dob1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Breitlings are soft and used models go for similar rates or a bit lower, so you would not get the initial hit of depreciation and get a new watch. I think it's a fair offer and he is probably making it because he knows that it will just gather dust at the MSRP and he'd rather get rid of low moving inventory and invest into a friendship that might turn into more business than waiting for the one crazy person who will pay full retail for a Breitling.

Just keep in mind that if you see the Breitlings at that discount it also means that if you would ever want to flip it, you will take a small hit as well. No where near as large as if you wouldn't have bought at such a discount, but you will get hit.
dob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 05:13 AM   #7
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
If I am thinking of the right Navitimer, whilst a great watch, the dial would be way too complicated for me!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 05:31 AM   #8
RossHetherington
"TRF" Member

Get the Sinn Navitimer, cheaper and a licensed design.
RossHetherington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 05:43 AM   #9
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
If I am thinking of the right Navitimer, whilst a great watch, the dial would be way too complicated for me!
That describes nearly every Navitimer, but that's the appeal of the watch for some people.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 06:25 AM   #10
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Navitimer dials give me a headache. But this isn't about me so if you like it 50% off new is a good deal.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 06:58 AM   #11
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Navitimer dials give me a headache. But this isn't about me so if you like it 50% off new is a good deal.

My sentiments as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:02 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
It’s a very high quality watch and that is a sensational price for new. You would have very limited downside on it. I like black calf on tang the best.
Old 18 February 2018, 07:31 AM   #13
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
The Navitimer is a great watch with a classic look and now houses an in-house B01 movement with a 5 year warranty. And at 50% off IMHO you would be foolish to let the opportunity pass.

004 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150333170@N07/]

Best of luck on your decision.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:36 AM   #14
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Those make me feel like a map and calculator crashed into each other at about 200 mph.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:50 AM   #15
ironjim
"TRF" Member

I have the Navitimer 01, 43mm, and like it a great deal. That model also seems do well ( for a Breitling ) with regards to resale vs most other Breitlings. That sounds like an excellent price for a new one.
ironjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 07:56 AM   #16
meganfox17
Banned

Can I say a few words guys ?
You want a girl's advice ? Now is not the time to buy the Breitling's Navitimer 01 even if the Seller offers 50% off and Heck! Even if he throws in a free Star Wars Millennium Falcon model kit. Take it from me, the servicing record is unknown and the chronograph function.may have reliability issues if the watch is discounted that much
✓Can you guys see the first photo below? That's the wrist shot of Breitling's new CEO Georges Kern ( and former IWC boss ) and he's wearing the latest and arguably the most important and collectible modern Navitimer of the highest quality
That's the watch you should buy -> The Navitimer 8 B01 Chronographe Chronometer ( Yes it's COSC certified!)
✓Strong DNA & roots influencing and inspiring the new line with a contemporary twist.Just look at that sweet italic B logo on the dial.The slide rule bezel is now gone so no more Mr Busy Dial
✓ In House Cal O1, the same stuff that's fitted inside a Tudor BB Chrono
✓ The number 8 refers to the 8 day power reserve of cockpit clocks of yesteryears AND 8 is considered auspicious in Chinese culture
✓Check out those sexy curvaceous bevelled lugs , notched bezel , sword shaped hands

If you're NOT a serious fanboy, then please don't buy a Navitimer for the sake of a pathetic discount, just because the Seller is dangling a carrot on a stick in front of you doesn't mean you have to take the bait!

I've been told the 43 mm Navitimer 8 B01 Chrono will be offered to watch collectors in July. On the leather/ bracelet the MSRP is somewhere in the ballpark of US$ 7.5/8K respectively. Be patience and pounce on a pre-owned as soon as 0ne turns up for sale on the WUS Sales section

Ok. CIAO guys....
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 08:27 AM   #17
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Megan the new 8 is nice but it is not the classic Navitimer with a long history. All Breitlings have been ubiquitously COSC certified since 2000 or so.

An interesting story about Breitling is that they were suppliers to the allies in WW2. Leon would meet in a field drop off instruments to the RAF and then go to a bar where he would get drunk and get arrested for fighting to cover his support for the allies

OP

Navitimer is a true classic and should have a place in almost any collection. I would only consider new Navitimer 8 if water resistance is a concern.

Navitimer bracelet is fairly amazing and should be considered, 7 link across and you may be able to get a discount on it at time of purchase. The leather is quite nice but expensive. Even more than Rolex leather. I like the tang on French stitch contrasting croc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossHetherington View Post
Get the Sinn Navitimer, cheaper and a licensed design.
There is a huge difference in the movement. One is a vertical clutch chronograph with 72 hour power reserve.

breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 08:30 AM   #18
Jsanders1985
"TRF" Member

I would jump on that deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jsanders1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 09:31 AM   #19
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Mine

This one from 1985
My go to watch:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1308D5A5-CCFE-42BF-AF34-15DFCCB8CEE1.jpeg (262.8 KB, 412 views)
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 09:41 AM   #20
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I can predict that buying that watch is going to be a moment you'll regret very soon. Why don't you get yourself a Speedmaster ? Now that's a Classic.
The Navitimer's dial is as busy as it can get, and will be completely useless in most situations.

Old 18 February 2018, 09:53 AM   #21
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
I like the Navitimer (my favorite is with white dial). It doesn’t wear well on my wrist but I wish it did because it’s a great looking timepiece. You can swap straps and buckles if you want too. Just a thought. White dial with a nice peanut butter horween leather strap would be ideal. 50% off is a good deal if you want it and will wear it. Cheers.
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:03 PM   #22
RazorD
"TRF" Member

I’m really digging that Navitimer 8.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 07:20 AM   #23
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
I've been told the 43 mm Navitimer 8 B01 Chrono will be offered to watch collectors in July. On the leather/ bracelet the MSRP is somewhere in the ballpark of US$ 7.5/8K respectively. Be patience and pounce on a pre-owned as soon as 0ne turns up for sale on the WUS Sales section
This is an interesting release. Given that I've never been able to warm up to the standard Navitimer dial, I find the Navitimer 8 to be one of the better looking Navis I've seen, at least based on the pictures. It's definitely one I'll be looking at further. Pity that the parallel three-hand release is still ETA based. Evidently Breitling doesn't have an interest (yet) of being a fully functioning manufacturer of all the types of watches they produce.

One thing I find curious is that the bracelet option appears to be the relatively downscale Pro 3. Breitling typically puts their higher-tier models on more premium bracelets - Pilot for the Chronomat, Navitimer bracelet for the Navitimer head. Both of the latter are substantially nicer than the Professional bracelet.

Also, can you clarify what you mean by "offered to watch collectors in July"? Do you mean for sale to the general public?
Old 19 February 2018, 07:42 AM   #24
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You want a girl's advice ? Now is not the time to buy the Breitling's Navitimer 01 even if the Seller offers 50% off and Heck! Even if he throws in a free Star Wars Millennium Falcon model kit. Take it from me, the servicing record is unknown and the chronograph function.may have reliability issues if the watch is discounted that much
✓Can you guys see the first photo below? That's the wrist shot of Breitling's new CEO Georges Kern ( and former IWC boss ) and he's wearing the latest and arguably the most important and collectible modern Navitimer of the highest quality
That's the watch you should buy -> The Navitimer 8 B01 Chronographe Chronometer ( Yes it's COSC certified!)
✓Strong DNA & roots influencing and inspiring the new line with a contemporary twist.Just look at that sweet italic B logo on the dial.The slide rule bezel is now gone so no more Mr Busy Dial
✓ In House Cal O1, the same stuff that's fitted inside a Tudor BB Chrono
✓ The number 8 refers to the 8 day power reserve of cockpit clocks of yesteryears AND 8 is considered auspicious in Chinese culture
✓Check out those sexy curvaceous bevelled lugs , notched bezel , sword shaped hands

If you're NOT a serious fanboy, then please don't buy a Navitimer for the sake of a pathetic discount, just because the Seller is dangling a carrot on a stick in front of you doesn't mean you have to take the bait!

Ok. CIAO guys....

Ok but why why why the plain bezel....
Would have been so nice to use as a second time zone . Overall looks good though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 08:11 AM   #25
Phrank
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:

Ok. CIAO guys...
Awesome callout....

...that model would most likely appreciate more than the watch, and that particular model might even be worth more than the watch.

Great cultural reference and tag on that Star Wars model...very entertaining post again...thanks!
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 08:13 AM   #26
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Ok but why why why the plain bezel....
Would have been so nice to use as a second time zone . Overall looks good though
According to Hodinkee's write-up on the three-hand version, the bezel is a 60-position, elapsed-time counter. The triangle marks the start time. The Navi 8 appears to have the same bezel. Without a number scale, though, it won't be easy to read.

More pictures here.
Old 19 February 2018, 11:07 AM   #27
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Also, can you clarify what you mean by "offered to watch collectors in July"? Do you mean for sale to the general public?
According to Breitling Malaysia, deliveries will start coming in into its flagship boutique but the timings are a little different. As the Americans would put it " Hit the Stores "
Navitimer 8 B01: July
Navitimer 8 Chrono : June
Navitimer 8 Automatic : June
Navitimer 8 Unitime B35 : Oct
Navitimer 8 Day Date : Oct

That's David Beckham ( previously the face of Breitling for Bentley if I'm not mistaken) who attended the boutique's 1st anniversary birthday bash in 2014. I was present of course snapping photos.The Malaysian crowd went wild with excitement when David arrived, I don't know what's the word to use. The crowd just went absolutely berzerk, I mean nobody else would get that kind of response not even any K Pop group who came to Malaysia for a concert tour! The atmosphere was so electrifying that I had goose bumps for a long time and I couldn't hear myself!

Old 19 February 2018, 11:29 AM   #28
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Navitimer 8 B01: July
Navitimer 8 Chrono : June
Thanks. What's the difference between the B01 and the Chrono? The B01 is a chronograph, so I'm not sure what "Chrono" would mean, if not that.
Old 19 February 2018, 11:46 AM   #29
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Thanks. What's the difference between the B01 and the Chrono? The B01 is a chronograph, so I'm not sure what "Chrono" would mean, if not that.
Chill Out Mr Jackson. Geeezzzz... You don't have to be politically correct all the time you know? As long as everyone gets the message across, that's fine by me. You gotta remember Mr J, there're lots of non technical folks reading these posts so by adding Chrono it reemphasizes their understanding. If you omit the Chrono word, that's correct but I'll just say things my way.
p/s : I can get very very technical when it comes to my speciality, the Omega brand but I choose not to because this is another forum
Old 19 February 2018, 03:15 PM   #30
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:

The Navitimer 8 B01 is an in-house breitling movement which is pretty good on paper (there are chronowerks versions which are extremely good). But basically the B01 is comparable to the 4130 except not as reliable, insofar as it features an integrated vertical clutch chronograph with 72 hour power reserve. The tudor b01 variant isn't the same, it uses microstella regulation so it's even better as far as I am concerned.

The Navitimer 8 Chrono is a 7750 version which is cam lever (I prefer horizontal coupling to cam lever, but vertical coupling is the best),and has a 42 hour power reserve. The will both be COSC but the 7750 was built for a price point and is not quite as interesting but still a solid movement that has been used by many manufactures including IWC, tudor, etc.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote