The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 August 2013, 02:56 PM   #1
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The Tudor Tidal Wave

I've been a member/lurker here for only a few years, but it seems like lately there has been a massive influx of Tudor "incomings" in the past months. Is this a function of new Tudor lines, or the recent Tudor ADs, or something else? The watches I've seen here are nice; just curious.

And another rookie question--Tudor is owned by Rolex, as I understand it. Are they simply a less expensive product line, or do they serve a different purpose/market?
Old 17 August 2013, 03:02 PM   #2
jot_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
I've been a member/lurker here for only a few years, but it seems like lately there has been a massive influx of Tudor "incomings" in the past months. Is this a function of new Tudor lines, or the recent Tudor ADs, or something else? The watches I've seen here are nice; just curious.

And another rookie question--Tudor is owned by Rolex, as I understand it. Are they simply a less expensive product line, or do they serve a different purpose/market?
I believe it's because Tudor is, as of this year, coming (or is that returning?) to the U.S.

To answer your second question, I'd say both. I see Tudor as a less expensive product line, but one that allows Rolex to be more adventurous and modern than its traditionally conservative offerings.
Old 17 August 2013, 04:47 PM   #3
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Boys Tudor Sub
The Tudor movement, according to the founders of Rolex, is the same as in the Rolex but the Tudor is referred to as "the working man's Rolex." So, not really sure what that means.
Old 17 August 2013, 05:42 PM   #4
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLindaPhD View Post
The Tudor movement, according to the founders of Rolex, is the same as in the Rolex but the Tudor is referred to as "the working man's Rolex." So, not really sure what that means.
Not sure about the first part because my understanding is Tudor outsources their movements from ETA. As for the second part I guess it is an acknowledgement that Rolex is no longer an affordable tool.

But yes, there generally is a lot of love here for Tudor, and discussion activity has definitely picked up with them coming back on sale in the USA.
Old 17 August 2013, 06:07 PM   #5
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Not sure about the first part because my understanding is Tudor outsources their movements from ETA. As for the second part I guess it is an acknowledgement that Rolex is no longer an affordable tool.
Tudor uses ETA yes, and Tudor was launched as the "affordable" watch decades ago by Rolex.
Old 17 August 2013, 06:47 PM   #6
TAG_TOSSER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor And Sinn
Tudors are supposed to be same build quality of Rolex but with an ETA movement.
The older Tudor subs have the same case just different font dial than the Rolex subs (and of course ETA movement).

Old 17 August 2013, 07:11 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG_TOSSER View Post
Tudors are supposed to be same build quality of Rolex but with an ETA movement.
The older Tudor subs have the same case just different font dial than the Rolex subs (and of course ETA movement).
Quite true but not any old ETA they use one of the two top grade chronometer spec movements, like most of the other high end brands that use ETA ebauche movements.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 17 August 2013, 07:46 PM   #8
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I hate movement tabs. The rolex integrated screws are the perfect and should be the only mounting option IMO
Old 28 January 2021, 08:22 AM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
This has to be one of the oldest moldiest threads I've come across in a while; 2013. Not even up to date on the modern inhouse Tudor movements!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Closed Thread