The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 June 2020, 08:26 AM   #1
Jinfu
"TRF" Member

Sending A Stripped Down Watch to RSC

I had posted in another thread, but it may have gotten lost in the mix so here it is again.....

If you wanted to keep all old parts, i.e. bezel and dial hand, etc. Would rolex work on it, if you took it to an independent first, and removed the dial, bezel etc that you would like to keep. Then send the stripped down rolex, just the case and movement. Have them supply a new dial, bezel and hands. Or would they not do that? Then you get the service dial, and not have to fight with keeping your old parts. Just curious if anyone has done this? Or is there another way to do this?
Jinfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 09:30 AM   #2
kwcsports
"TRF" Member

I don't think so.
kwcsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 10:10 AM   #3
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinfu View Post
I had posted in another thread, but it may have gotten lost in the mix so here it is again.....

If you wanted to keep all old parts, i.e. bezel and dial hand, etc. Would rolex work on it, if you took it to an independent first, and removed the dial, bezel etc that you would like to keep. Then send the stripped down rolex, just the case and movement. Have them supply a new dial, bezel and hands. Or would they not do that? Then you get the service dial, and not have to fight with keeping your old parts. Just curious if anyone has done this? Or is there another way to do this?

Absolutely 100% not.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Hub6152
Banned

You could have an indie watchmaker fit another bezel, dial and hands, and as long as the watch was complete then that might work but they would have to be absolutely genuine parts and that won’t come cheap.
Old 25 June 2020, 11:21 AM   #5
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
It’s an interesting question. I wonder where the limit is? Certainly if you had no bezel, you could get a service one is you pay for a full service. But missing the dial or movement? Or a collection of parts? I wonder if you show up with a trashed barn find with little more than a case and rusty movement?
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 11:26 AM   #6
kwcsports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
It’s an interesting question. I wonder where the limit is? Certainly if you had no bezel, you could get a service one is you pay for a full service. But missing the dial or movement? Or a collection of parts? I wonder if you show up with a trashed barn find with little more than a case and rusty movement?
I get losing a bezel, RSC would put on a new one and charge you obviously but no dial, you can't lose that. I personally think bezel, crown, bracelet, crystal, caseback, they would fix it, anything internal, I say no. Just my humble opinion, I'm probably wrong
kwcsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 04:29 PM   #7
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
Absolutely 100% not.
Are you sure about this, and if so, how?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 04:34 PM   #8
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post

I agree.

I don’t think it is too difficult to imagine this happening.

No doubt it would cost a lot of money, but if the watch still has it’s identifiable case and movement, why not?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 04:37 PM   #9
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Are you sure about this, and if so, how?

Because I’ve owned many Rolexes and dealt with the HK service centre many times, and because it’s common knowledge that dials and hands are exchanged on a one for one basis - old for new. My friend took his old 5 digit Pepsi for a service and it was refused because he had an all black insert fitted when it’s should have been a coke insert.

A missing bezel is possibly ok because there are circumstances where a bezel may become detached and is irretrievably lost so RSC may make a discretionary exception. But missing a dial and hands????
Old 25 June 2020, 05:06 PM   #10
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
I agree.

I don’t think it is too difficult to imagine this happening.

No doubt it would cost a lot of money, but if the watch still has it’s identifiable case and movement, why not?

And watches that are of over a certain age are deemed non serviceable regardless of their condition especially since many vintage parts are no longer available. RSC simply will not supply a new service dial or hands to a “barn find collection of parts”. Restoration isn’t their way. They will only exchange them one for one, and that’s deliberate policy to prevent parts being sold on the secondary market.
Old 25 June 2020, 08:19 PM   #11
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If the indie has a parts account couldn't you just have them service it and request you keep all the old parts? Or are you looking to have the indie pull the parts and send to RSC so you have a Rolex warranty card along with service? I don't see the point of sending it to two different locations to be pulled apart and tinkered with.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 10:08 PM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Too much work for too little gain. Find an independent and have them use OEM parts.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 10:23 PM   #13
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Too much work for too little gain. Find an independent and have them use OEM parts.
I agree with this comment. Why not go to a good indie? I'm sure you can get solid recommendations here for one.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 10:27 PM   #14
watchmaker
TechXpert

Simply put, no.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 07:06 AM   #15
Jinfu
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input, I really don't have a reason to do this, it was more of a hypothetical. I just wanted to see if it was possible to not have to fight rolex for your original parts by not sending them the parts for them to take:)
Jinfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 10:50 PM   #16
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
If the watch was damaged, i.e accident, Maybe this is where I think they would replace anything that the watch needs. Rolex does not service just movements and polishes cases, they service watches. It's only in their interest to do this, not yours.
David cote is offline   Reply With Quote