The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 July 2020, 10:03 PM   #3481
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/06/inve...investors.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/06/inve...singapore.html

Couple of interesting tidbits on Luckin and the Asian market in general.

If you're invested in Chinese stocks and worrying about the delisting of said stocks, the first article is a good read on what requirements need to be met in order for the companies to stay on the NYSE. Long story short - it's not a very high bar.
Old 7 July 2020, 01:51 AM   #3482
kearez
"TRF" Member

I generally stay away from Chinese stocks due to “accounting issues” I prefer to invest through VWO.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 02:22 AM   #3483
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/06/inve...investors.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/06/inve...singapore.html

Couple of interesting tidbits on Luckin and the Asian market in general.

If you're invested in Chinese stocks and worrying about the delisting of said stocks, the first article is a good read on what requirements need to be met in order for the companies to stay on the NYSE. Long story short - it's not a very high bar.
I used to work in HK taking mainland companies public there and lets just say I highly doubt US auditors are going to get access in any meaningful way to the work papers of the mainland auditors.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 08:03 AM   #3484
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Today was very good. Nearly 10% gain for me. Making up for my stupid decisions earlier with SRNE. Still have a ways to go.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 09:59 AM   #3485
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Today was very good. Nearly 10% gain for me. Making up for my stupid decisions earlier with SRNE. Still have a ways to go.

I am short Tesla shorts.

I am short shorts. I am long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:30 AM   #3486
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
If you had a significant amount of cash on hand, would you put it into the market right now? I'm referring to long-term investing, not trading stocks.
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 09:47 PM   #3487
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguy View Post
If you had a significant amount of cash on hand, would you put it into the market right now? I'm referring to long-term investing, not trading stocks.
I would not dump it in all at once, but as a long-term investor myself (who also dabbles in options), I think now is a good as a time as any IF you're buying the dips during this volatile market; I would not chase. There might be some short term pain, but there is a lot of outlook calling for higher highs. Perusing the last 10 or so pages of this thread would do good.

https://newsfilter.io/a/1c5fe3dece20...2856e055f25977

LVGO is another stock that I've been touting along with FSLY, and the just-announced 2nd QTR prelim numbers look to be crushing. LVGO up over 10% pre-market.
Old 7 July 2020, 11:35 PM   #3488
RyanO
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Loving the price action on LVGO today, great to see those numbers.

Any thoughts on PSX after The Dakota pipeline ruling? Believe they have a 25% stake. I have a position in it, along with Valero. Both stocks have been dogs lately but I have to think that these are good value plays right now. Open to hearing if anyone thinks I'm wrong.
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:39 PM   #3489
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanO View Post
Loving the price action on LVGO today, great to see those numbers.

Any thoughts on PSX after The Dakota pipeline ruling? Believe they have a 25% stake. I have a position in it, along with Valero. Both stocks have been dogs lately but I have to think that these are good value plays right now. Open to hearing if anyone thinks I'm wrong.
I sold out of PSX just yesterday. Would loved to have sold out when it was $89 a couple weeks back, but oh well...profit's a profit.

I think with the opening / closing going on, there's just too much unknown to keep it in stocks like PSX. I've shifted the money elsewhere.
Old 8 July 2020, 12:48 AM   #3490
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

I usually only invest in ETF's but recently have thought about buying 3 stocks: FSLY, SE and LVGO. A lot of talk around these at the moment, wondering what peoples thoughts on them are.
Old 8 July 2020, 12:54 AM   #3491
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearson1995 View Post
I usually only invest in ETF's but recently have thought about buying 3 stocks: FSLY, SE and LVGO. A lot of talk around these at the moment, wondering what peoples thoughts on them are.
Haha, those are the 3 that I've trumpeted for awhile now.

Just look at what the companies do, their business model and who their audience is, and you'll see why I'm such a huge advocate.

I got into these before the hype, and yet I still think there is plenty of growth for all 3. I've been buying the dips to add to my long position, buying calls on red days (like last Thursday's -10% leg down for LVGO because of a Goldman analyst's downgrade...shows how much the "experts" know; already doubled what I paid for that call), and enjoying the volatility / consistent ride up.
Old 8 July 2020, 01:16 AM   #3492
RyanO
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Yeah have to admit that the money I have in refiners is looking like it could be better invested elsewhere at the moment. My two positions aren't in the money, so may wait it out and see how things go. I think they're priced the way they are because there is so much uncertainty regarding reopening.

Good call getting out before today's leg down.
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 02:23 AM   #3493
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguy View Post
I think studies have shown that if you are investing for the long term and have a set amount to invest lump-sum beats dollar cost averaging the money into the market. I assume this is primarily due to the fact that the markets tend to rise over time. That being said the markets are seemingly pretty lofty right now considering all the uncertainty and I feel there is more downside risk than upside potential but I have been thinking that for a while and the market continues to go up so what do I know.

If you are investing for the long run, like your retirement in 20-30 years, then it will likely make little difference but if you lump-sum the money you should be willing to stay the course if the markets take a dive and not try to time the market by moving back and forth.

If it was me and I was determined to invest a large sum for the long-term in this environment I might consider a lump-sum of up to 50% of it and then DCA the rest over the next 6-12 months. No one knows where the market will be in the next 6 months to a year and plenty of "experts" prove that on a regular basis.
Old 8 July 2020, 02:38 AM   #3494
calh22a
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I am short Tesla shorts.

I am short shorts. I am long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought this was quite funny. The price at 69 and 420? TSLA is on a roll right now. I bought at the dip in March and was glad to take 50% profit. I couldn't see it run this far up so fast. I'm thinking about buying back in, but that's probably just FOMO on my part.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 02:42 AM   #3495
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calh22a View Post
I thought this was quite funny. The price at 69 and 420? TSLA is on a roll right now. I bought at the dip in March and was glad to take 50% profit. I couldn't see it run this far up so fast. I'm thinking about buying back in, but that's probably just FOMO on my part.
I also bought at the March low and ended up selling half of my position when it hit $780. Oops.

Good news is I bought back in about a week and a half ago when it was down at $960 (this was the Friday when everything was down, including FB and GOOGL and I was having thoughts of another crash).

Not making the same mistake again and will be riding it out for awhile as long as Musk is there and the fanaticism continues. Is it overpriced and crazy? Yes. Does it matter? Obviously not.
Old 8 July 2020, 02:48 AM   #3496
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I also bought at the March low and ended up selling half of my position when it hit $780. Oops.

Good news is I bought back in about a week and a half ago when it was down at $960 (this was the Friday when everything was down, including FB and GOOGL and I was having thoughts of another crash).

Not making the same mistake again and will be riding it out for awhile as long as Musk is there and the fanaticism continues. Is it overpriced and crazy? Yes. Does it matter? Obviously not.
Every time I’ve contemplating entering, I rationalize to myself it makes no sense and walk away, only to see it rise higher (a la FSLY for me too haha). However, for TSLA at least, while some of my rationalization is in regards to the crazy P/S ratio, a big part of my reasoning to not invest is Elon. Used to be a fan of him, but lately he’s getting weirder and weirder, more unpredictable, and just erratic. I can’t help but believe a huge portion of TSLAs valuation is him, and frankly as much as I like their product and vision, I don’t trust him with my money.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 02:58 AM   #3497
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Every time I’ve contemplating entering, I rationalize to myself it makes no sense and walk away, only to see it rise higher (a la FSLY for me too haha). However, for TSLA at least, while some of my rationalization is in regards to the crazy P/S ratio, a big part of my reasoning to not invest is Elon. Used to be a fan of him, but lately he’s getting weirder and weirder, more unpredictable, and just erratic. I can’t help but believe a huge portion of TSLAs valuation is him, and frankly as much as I like their product and vision, I don’t trust him with my money.
Can't argue with your logic on his craziness.

It's definitely not a large part of our portfolio and I am by no means a Tesla fanatic, but the fanboys seem to drive this stock up so dabbling with a small position is what we're doing.
Old 8 July 2020, 03:12 AM   #3498
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can't argue with your logic on his craziness.

It's definitely not a large part of our portfolio and I am by no means a Tesla fanatic, but the fanboys seem to drive this stock up so dabbling with a small position is what we're doing.
Certainly can’t argue with cult stocks - as long as the fans keep driving it up, ride those profits!

Wondering if anyone here has some thoughts on NLS? Not my preferred fitness company as a consumer by any means, but as an investment over the short-mid term, I’m tempted:
- low price point currently with growth over past few months
- a few staple consumer brands for the masses (bowflex, schwinn)
- at-home fitness is booming

Some risk/rewards:
- small company; cap is only 300M but decent balance sheet it seems
- very few shares outstanding (29M) = dramatic, rapid price swings, up or down
- decent institutional investment, though probably bought in at much lower price.

So, I’m wondering if this might be a viable PTON alternative that could yield higher ROI over the next few months. Earnings end of the month, Fall/Christmas just around the corner.
Old 8 July 2020, 10:14 PM   #3499
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/broo...es-stores.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/07/levi...-earnings.html

Brooks Brothers files, and Levi's has horrendous earnings.

Interesting to see though that thus far, Levi's stock has not tanked horribly. So, is it all baked into the price, as many have claimed?

We all knew 2Q earnings would be bad for retail, and I personally think that today's prices (outside of tech) do reflect expected pain from this last quarter already. I don't think we're going to see massive (e.g. 20-30%) down swings for the bigger retail outfits. Just look at where NKE is now after their awful quarterly report...right back to where it was pre-earnings.

Meanwhile 2 of my favorites, SE and LVGO, just got price target increases and continue to rise, as e-commerce in Southeast Asia booms and health sciences continues to grow. FSLY continues to speak for itself! Looking forward to earnings for all 3, as I'm very long and have calls in them.
Old 9 July 2020, 12:27 AM   #3500
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Interesting to see though that thus far, Levi's stock has not tanked horribly. So, is it all baked into the price, as many have claimed?
IMO at this point most retail stock has earnings priced in. I have held retail on and off through this and earnings never seem to have a huge effect.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 03:42 AM   #3501
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.barrons.com/articles/dis...ys-51594202401

For the DIS folks (including me). Still plenty of legs on this one, if the analysts are to be believed.

I worry about the lost revenue and costs from the parks (still costs money to maintain these), but what do I know.
Old 9 July 2020, 04:13 AM   #3502
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/broo...es-stores.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/07/levi...-earnings.html

Brooks Brothers files, and Levi's has horrendous earnings.

We all knew 2Q earnings would be bad for retail, and I personally think that today's prices (outside of tech) do reflect expected pain from this last quarter already. I don't think we're going to see massive (e.g. 20-30%) down swings for the bigger retail outfits. Just look at where NKE is now after their awful quarterly report...right back to where it was pre-earnings.

Meanwhile 2 of my favorites, SE and LVGO, just got price target increases and continue to rise, as e-commerce in Southeast Asia booms and health sciences continues to grow. FSLY continues to speak for itself! Looking forward to earnings for all 3, as I'm very long and have calls in them.

Nice move by LVGO the other day, looks like they're on track for a nice earnings, but i suppose that 16% jump this week is basically the earnings now factored in to pricing. I'm particularly interested in the earnings for DOCU, FSLY and NET. All the cloud stocks have boomed significantly the past 3 months so earnings had better be stellar to justify the current prices IMO - I doubt there will be any 40% gains post earnings this time, as the cloud secret is now mostly out and I think largely baked into pricing. Also would not surprise me if more shares are added to most of these stocks as a means for the companies to continue to grow their market cap while slowing down this exponential price action we're seeing (many have very few shares, FSLY for example has only 75M).

I expect the big surprise this earnings season to be gold miners. Gold is up (revenue), oil is down (operating cost), demand is up (tech growth, need materials).
Old 9 July 2020, 04:16 AM   #3503
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm particularly interested in the earnings for DOCU, FSLY and NET. All the cloud stocks have boomed significantly the past 3 months so earnings had better be stellar to justify the current prices IMO - I doubt there will be any 40% gains post earnings this time, as the cloud secret is now mostly out and I think largely baked into pricing. Also would not surprise me if more shares are added to most of these stocks as a means for the companies to continue to grow their market cap while slowing down this exponential price action we're seeing (many have very few shares, FSLY for example has only 75M).
Tend to agree with you on the fact that we shouldn't be seeing huge jumps post-earnings; cat's kind of out of the bag there. Maybe 10% increase, tops? But nothing like the doubling that we saw in Q1.

For FSLY, they just recently added shares about a month ago; they were immediately scooped up at the $45 pricepoint. Though, I also wouldn't be surprised if they were to add more; it would make sense.
Old 9 July 2020, 07:18 AM   #3504
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Tend to agree with you on the fact that we shouldn't be seeing huge jumps post-earnings; cat's kind of out of the bag there. Maybe 10% increase, tops? But nothing like the doubling that we saw in Q1.

For FSLY, they just recently added shares about a month ago; they were immediately scooped up at the $45 pricepoint. Though, I also wouldn't be surprised if they were to add more; it would make sense.
I made an irrational decision yesterday and sold out of FSLY. Do you think it would still be okay to buy at today's price? 10% gains and now I'm not sure if I should wait for dip or just buy and hold.
AshCashEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 07:20 AM   #3505
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshCashEmAll View Post
I made an irrational decision yesterday and sold out of FSLY. Do you think it would still be okay to buy at today's price? 10% gains and now I'm not sure if I should wait or just buy and hold.
Depends on horizon in my view. If several years, no harm buying now. If for a quick flip, but the dip.
Old 9 July 2020, 08:08 AM   #3506
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshCashEmAll View Post
I made an irrational decision yesterday and sold out of FSLY. Do you think it would still be okay to buy at today's price? 10% gains and now I'm not sure if I should wait for dip or just buy and hold.
Quote:
Depends on horizon in my view. If several years, no harm buying now. If for a quick flip, but the dip.
This.

The market is incredibly volatile (which I love - buy calls on red days, sell on green), and even as a long in FSLY, I can tell you that there will be days this thing will go down...we saw it the other day when it touched -10%.

@AshCashEmAll - I think you had just recently asked about purchasing FSLY, and you sold out already? I've said it before and I'll say it again (and again), but FSLY is a stock for the future. If you're already having thoughts / regrets about buying in after a quick buy/sell, my recommendation would be to dabble in options. Otherwise, this is a buy and LONG hold. They've got an incredible ceiling.
Old 9 July 2020, 01:33 PM   #3507
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Stonks
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 09:41 PM   #3508
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/af...S%3D1594294852

What everyone's been saying all along - no need to chase, but also not a time to NOT be in the market.
Old 10 July 2020, 02:49 AM   #3509
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

FSLY, LVGO, SE...the march up continues.

While SE is down today, Q2 earnings should be a boon for the e-commerce player; no reason for it not to be with the closing / opening / closing going on.
Old 10 July 2020, 03:12 AM   #3510
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Everytime I'm thinking selling FSLY cause it's gone so high so fast, it goes even higher!

I'm just thinking that there is a massive correction coming for this stock (-20%+) soon and trying to catch it... Maybe at next earnings where there is definitely be a good rev bump QoQ and outlook, but not the sky high bump the street seems to be expecting with the way the stock is going at the moment.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote