The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 June 2020, 12:34 AM   #1
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Help please- Day Date President

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum (and not a vintage) but I need advice. So my wife wants a gold rolex (to wear on occasions) and I'm after something sentimental.

I have found a DD36mm from my birth year (late 80s) for a reasonable price, on sale by a reputable Antique shop in London.

It is the reference number 18038 and the pictures show a fantastic watch with hardly any signs of stratching.

There is an original box but no original papers.

I had a few questions:

1) Is there anything I should be worried about?
2) Is there a way of verifying the age without the original papers?
3) I would never sell this watch but rather pass it on to kids/future grandkids, but is this likely to be a watch that would always hold value?

Thank you for your time
motisingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 12:52 AM   #2
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

If you can, post some pictures.

I wrote it recently in another topic, but buy the watch which offers you the best value, so do not focus on the year. If the one from 8x is better than your birth year, get that one instead if the money is the same.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 01:01 AM   #3
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
If you can, post some pictures.

I wrote it recently in another topic, but buy the watch which offers you the best value, so do not focus on the year. If the one from 8x is better than your birth year, get that one instead if the money is the same.
Sure, please see below.

The price is around $12k

Old 30 June 2020, 01:38 AM   #4
Pocosso
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO/ROO/PAM/DAYTONA
I would ask for a picture tha show the level of stress of the bracelet,, like holding he watch from the head just to check the curve of the president.
ROO(Ti)-RO-ROC
PAN0055-PAM351-PAM733-PAM721
Type XX-XXI
Pocosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 01:47 AM   #5
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocosso View Post
I would ask for a picture tha show the level of stress of the bracelet,, like holding he watch from the head just to check the curve of the president.
Thank you, I will do that
Old 30 June 2020, 06:44 AM   #6
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motisingh View Post
I had a few questions:

1) Is there anything I should be worried about?
2) Is there a way of verifying the age without the original papers?
3) I would never sell this watch but rather pass it on to kids/future grandkids, but is this likely to be a watch that would always hold value?

Thank you for your time
As to 1, the bezel looks worn/polished, but not unusually so for a 18038. If you can, get and post photos of both sides of the clasp, the case back, and as Pocosso suggested, of the bracelet clasped and “cantilevered” from the head. Check to confirm it has the proper yellow gold spring bars attaching the bracelet to the head.

As to 2, Wahlberg is correct - Rolex (unlike say, Patek or Omega) does not issue archive extracts, so any “year” is only going to be an estimate anyway. If you have the serial number, THIS list is worth checking, but you are better off with the best example regardless. Yellow gold/champagne dial/fluted bezel is probably the most common configuration of Day-Date, so you can be more choosy about condition.

As to 3, my crystal ball is quite cloudy today, but I’d guess this model has as good a chance of holding value as any other - It’s certainly not currently overhyped.

Good luck!
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 07:44 AM   #7
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
As to 1, the bezel looks worn/polished, but not unusually so for a 18038. If you can, get and post photos of both sides of the clasp, the case back, and as Pocosso suggested, of the bracelet clasped and “cantilevered” from the head. Check to confirm it has the proper yellow gold spring bars attaching the bracelet to the head.

As to 2, Wahlberg is correct - Rolex (unlike say, Patek or Omega) does not issue archive extracts, so any “year” is only going to be an estimate anyway. If you have the serial number, THIS list is worth checking, but you are better off with the best example regardless. Yellow gold/champagne dial/fluted bezel is probably the most common configuration of Day-Date, so you can be more choosy about condition.

As to 3, my crystal ball is quite cloudy today, but I’d guess this model has as good a chance of holding value as any other - It’s certainly not currently overhyped.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your help on this.

You guys are awesome. I’ll let you know if I make the purchase and post pictures. Thank you
Old 30 June 2020, 08:22 AM   #8
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Good advice above. You need pics of the clasp marking and case markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk