The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 July 2020, 09:02 AM   #1
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Lawn tractor Gurus

Hi all... Quick background. I recently moved from the city to the burbs and now have a lawn to take care of. I've used a push mower growing up when I was a kid. Didn't have to worry about a yard in the city, and now that I'm back in the burbs I need something to do all the yard maintenance. Since moving into the house we've had a landscape company take care of the duties but I'm not happy with the service not to mention I can get all the equipment and do it myself and in the long run would be more cost effective. Anyway trying to decide on a lawn tractor and was looking at the following

Simplicity Regent models
John Deere X300 series models
Husqvarna TS series models

If anyone has experience with any of these or others you can recommend would appreciate any input.

Looking to do all lawn and landscaping maintenance moving forward. My property is fairly flat in the front, graded on the sides of the house leading to the back where it's rediculously uneven / bumpy with ruts throughout. Several trees, a deck, and playground for the kids. Under an acre plot.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 12:32 PM   #2
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Deere. Always Deere especially for a tractor. Personally I’d advise jumping to at least an x500 series for longevity sake or buying a used higher end model. I’m currently using the following:

JD 322
3-cyl Yanmar (gas and liquid cooled)
Full hydraulics (inc power steering)
54” deck
Individual rear brakes
Etc

The difference between using a garden tractor like this and a “mower” is drastic. It’s one of those things you say you don’t need but once you have it you’d never be without.

Regardless of the series you choose, it sounds like you may want to go with an all wheel steer model to handle that full yard. Can’t wait to see what you get!!!
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 09:11 PM   #3
James Madsen
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
I’ve been in your situation very recently. Try and have a look at a robotic mower such as the automower from Husqvarna. Very interesting alternative.
James Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 09:19 PM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Madsen View Post
I’ve been in your situation very recently. Try and have a look at a robotic mower such as the automower from Husqvarna. Very interesting alternative.

I have a husqvarna 430x but I’m not sure I can recommend it for the OP seeing as his yard has significant ruts and such.

I’d consider getting it graded first.
Old 1 July 2020, 10:54 PM   #5
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
In my business which is property/real estate management, we have many different sites or locations that I need to keep with tractors and blowers for the weekly upkeep. I can tell you from trying many different makes and models that the best lawn tractors that have showed reliable and durable are the Husqavarna. Though, a word of advise is to not buy the TS series and pay a bit more and get the LS series which is upgraded with heavy duty steel all over which you will need with the uneven terrain and a much better engine etc. this machine will last much much longer. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 02:08 AM   #6
airchitect
"TRF" Member

OP, the size and condition of your yard makes it sound like you will be better off in the long run with the most heavy duty garden tractor (not lawn mower) you can afford whatever it may be.
Old 2 July 2020, 02:56 AM   #7
swils8610

I’ve got a John Deere X370 and love it. The X370 gives you powder steering and a hydraulic deck. It’s nice for the wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:46 AM   #8
James Madsen
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I have a husqvarna 430x but I’m not sure I can recommend it for the OP seeing as his yard has significant ruts and such.

I’d consider getting it graded first.
That is a fair point, I know you can get some pretty advanced AWD models for more complex lots but they don’t come cheap..

How do you like your 430x?
James Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 08:59 PM   #9
Spoonage

Hi all. Happy 4th and thanks for the input and recommendations. I'm thinking of grading / leveling out the back of the property as that's on my list of to do's. As much as I want to get a heavier duty tractor I have to keep it somewhat and lightweight for a few reasons.

- I believe some (most) of the unevenness are ruts caused by heavier equipment so would assume I need to balance size / weight with features / ability of the tractor. More of the open areas are uneven and the tighter areas are for the most part ok
- Tree / deck / playset layout prohibits too large of a machine since I would need to come back through with a push mower and get all the areas that the tractor won't fit because it's too wide.
- Combination of the two above almost forces a single pattern through the property which supports my assumption that the unevenness / ruts are caused by the equipment.

I will take in to consideration of all the feedback and update you.
Old 4 July 2020, 10:40 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Lawn tractor Gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Madsen View Post
That is a fair point, I know you can get some pretty advanced AWD models for more complex lots but they don’t come cheap..

How do you like your 430x?

It’s good but not without its faults. Once or twice a week it will get stuck stuck somewhere on my small half acre lot. Also it was unable to handle the grade down to the creek in my backyard so I had to move the boundary wire up the slope.

All in all I don’t have the desire to mow or pay a service so I’m happy with it. I bought it knowing it was equal parts toy and tool.
Old 5 July 2020, 12:28 PM   #11
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Have you considered a zero turn? For the ease of maneuver and speed, a zero turn is unbeatable.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 02:25 AM   #12
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
I have a Snapper rear engine lawn tractor. It is pretty much bulletproof.
Old 6 July 2020, 05:22 AM   #13
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Have you considered a zero turn? For the ease of maneuver and speed, a zero turn is unbeatable.
agreed, I've maintained an acre plus for 41 plus years, 7 years ago switched over to a zero turn (Kubota), never, repeat never looked back. Cut my mowing time almost in half.

To all the Deere lovers, sorry not the product it used to be. I hear they offer nothing but a stamped steel deck (junk), serious lawn boys know fab steel is the only way to go ....
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 05:41 AM   #14
Spoonage

Originally thought about a zero turn but read they were not that good for other lawn / landscaping work.
Old 6 July 2020, 10:54 AM   #15
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
Originally thought about a zero turn but read they were not that good for other lawn / landscaping work.
like what ??
Old 6 July 2020, 12:04 PM   #16
Spoonage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post
like what ??

Again all the random things I've read seemed like zero turns were not great at pulling loaded carts, dethatchers / core aerators, etc especially on slopes??? I have a short graded area on either side of the house seems like a bad idea. My understanding is that all the weight is in the back and the front wheels are basically casters. All the driving and steering is done with the rear tires and pulling stuff makes traction worse? Never used one so I have no experience with it, just what I've read.
Old 6 July 2020, 11:47 PM   #17
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
Again all the random things I've read seemed like zero turns were not great at pulling loaded carts, dethatchers / core aerators, etc especially on slopes??? I have a short graded area on either side of the house seems like a bad idea. My understanding is that all the weight is in the back and the front wheels are basically casters. All the driving and steering is done with the rear tires and pulling stuff makes traction worse? Never used one so I have no experience with it, just what I've read.
depending on the amount of slope it can be tricky, beyond that everything else you heard is nonsense. I'm on season #8 with mine and I pull lawn carts, plug aerator with zero issues and I deal with a slight 15-20% grade in a few areas.

here's another big advantage to the zero turn, since day one I've installed the mulching kit on my deck, with that I can cut close and tight on either side combined with blade speeds of 17,000 rpms I no longer need to rake leaves come fall.
Old 7 July 2020, 01:07 AM   #18
airchitect
"TRF" Member

OP it seems you need to really pin down if you need a solution that falls into the tractor category or mower category. If it’s mower, then get a zero turn but I’d shop commercial Deere, Kubota, Exmark, maybe even Scag. Tractor, stick with a Deere or Kubota.
Old 8 July 2020, 10:22 AM   #19
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex or two
Mowing the yard (on a riding tractor) was always my after-work therapy. I still have the old-school John Deere GT275 I bought new in 1996 (for $4500), and it still runs great.

One thing to consider is waiting a few months for the moving season to end and looking for a used tractor w/ attachments on Craigs List or FB Marketplace.

As far as brands, Deere owns the segment, and has for a while. I have a 14-yr old son now, so he mows now, and when he goes off to school, I will be done mowing forever. If I were replacing my Deere, I would look at another Deere or a Kubota.
Deep Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2021, 03:29 AM   #20
LhBucksb
Banned

Recently bought myself a new toy, a lightweight and practical cordless string trimmer.
LhBucksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2021, 01:45 AM   #21
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I am in Georgia and Kubota has taken over the market around here.

Really solid products. If I was in the market, I would go Kubota.
Old 14 March 2021, 02:42 AM   #22
330ci
"TRF" Member

Unless I went commercial, I’d get a bad boy zero turn at this point. I’m still using a 300&500 series wheel horse from the late 80s/early 90s and expect to pass it on to my unborn children’s children as it’s built that well. But a few of my friends bought bad boys, and have had nothing but good things to say. They’re much more affordable than some of the bigger name brands but excellent quality.

I love John deer, but their new mowers are nothing special. Mainly just rebadged bulk Economy models done in their paint scheme
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 02:20 AM   #23
1hoot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II Polar
Old post, so I assume you’ve made a decision. I have to recommend though, for anybody in this situation, with an acre or so..take a good hard look at most anything with a Kawasaki twin. I’ve had both a Cub Cadet and Husqvarna with Kaw twin engines...smooth, reliable, powerful, and easy to work on. Beyond a couple acres, Kubota diesel or JD X7XX. Kubota BX series gives you a lot of versatility, but for just mowing, the JD X7XX is the Cadillac of lawn tractors.
1hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 12:05 AM   #24
TommyT53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your back
My next door neighbor is a small engine repair guy and when I was ready to buy a new mower his advice was buy a Kubota, they never come into his shop for repair and he personally uses one.
TommyT53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 12:24 AM   #25
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Almost a year old thread on a mower, pretty sure one has been chosen